PDA

View Full Version : Can Serena come trough this year without losing a match?

Whatzup
Apr 1st, 2003, 07:50 PM
In Miami, Serena said in an interview, that she would try to come trough this year without losing a match! Is this possible to do for her? I think it's possible, but it's very very difficult! What do u think? :D

fleemke³
Apr 1st, 2003, 07:51 PM
Nah Justine will beat her on the gravel :cool: ;)

selesfan87
Apr 1st, 2003, 07:55 PM
I think its poissible... She has it in her.. But it will be tough.

I think her best chance at that is too not play too many tournaments!

If she plays 0 tournaments, she can lose 0 matches! :D J/King

Whatzup
Apr 1st, 2003, 07:59 PM
LOL @ Selesfan87 :D

CanadianBoy21
Apr 1st, 2003, 08:07 PM
I think she should play ten tournies altogether.
she already has three titles, so she should play 7 more, my suggestion:
Family Circle Cup
Rome
French Open
Wimby
Canadian Open
Us Open
WTA Championship

Whatzup
Apr 1st, 2003, 08:22 PM
Ok :D

Havok
Apr 1st, 2003, 08:36 PM
if Navratilova didn't do it, i don't think Serena can. i mean if she would play more than her little measly 12/13 tournaments, she would be more seceptable to a loss, but she plays minimal tennis so this just ups her chances to go undefeated. but she's bound to lose one of them IMO

Jakeev
Apr 2nd, 2003, 02:38 AM
With all of the talk of Serena possibly going undefeated this year, which I think would break Martina's Open Era record of losing just one match in 1983, I was wondering who was the last player to do this?

vs1
Apr 2nd, 2003, 02:42 AM
Of course she CAN do it. But will she?! Hmmmm...it'll certainly be tough. But I guess...if ANYONE on the tour right now can do it, it'll be Serena.

Rtael
Apr 2nd, 2003, 02:44 AM
No one's ever gone undefeated...Martina holds the best record ever for a season, and if Serena loses even once she won't beat it, simply because she doesn't play alot of torunaments...and I don't why but that fact that she doesn't play alot kinda pisses me off...

CJ07
Apr 2nd, 2003, 02:46 AM
she'll lose a match eventually

BasicTennis
Apr 2nd, 2003, 03:07 AM
she'll lose a match eventually

I couldn't agree more and that will happen in year 2005.:devil:

Gowza
Apr 2nd, 2003, 03:13 AM
i think she can do it. but clay is going to be her hardest surface to keep herself from losing. more challengers step up like capriati, clijsters and henin. mauresmo, hantuchova and seles if they play well will also have a chance against her in the clay season and don't forget her sis venus.

that is if she plays like she did last year. she played well last year but i think she was expecting something bad to happen everytime she hit the ball. to me when i saw her last year on clay she looked like she was uncertain with herself. i think if she plays like she did last year but believes in herself more than she'll definately go undefeated (and doing so well last year should have given year the confidence to do so).

but the first clay tournament is very important. i think if she wins the first toournament then she win it all but if she loses then it might different the rest of the year.

1jackson2001
Apr 2nd, 2003, 03:21 AM
I'd like to see her do it so I can witness a record be made into the history books. But I doubt she will be able to go thru the whole year without a loss or two.

spencercarlos
Apr 2nd, 2003, 03:29 AM
Well she has gone 4 straight slams without losing a match, she has beaten everybody on every surface, its really difficult, it requieres to be on the best shape as possible for every match. But who knows, with the level of today´s game no one would have ever predicted a player to win 4 slams in a row, and Serena did.

SerenaSlam
Apr 2nd, 2003, 03:57 AM
not saying this b/c she is a fan. But everyone right now, is always picking a player to just topple Serena. Serena in my opinion is playing much better this year than she did last year. Last year on the clay she and Venus both were just amazing. Now, we have thrown out Kim, and put in Justine for the clay court season. We are saying we think she can pull an upset. Serena on her game will become the victor, and so far this year, Serena has found the way to win/pick up her game when she is off. Last year Justine beat Serena playing Off 7-6 in the third. Serena played much better the following week and took justine out in straight sets. What does that tell you. Just like the rest of the tour, you can give the players a "slight chance" against an off Serena, but if she comes out firing and on her game. She should go undefeated, even if someone were to try and come out playing the match of their life against Serena. AGain not taking anything away from Justine beating Serena last year, but its clear, has been and always will be, when Venus or Serena are not playing well, they may loose in a tight 3 setter. What is so different? Well say justine/cappy are off, they usually go down to their opponents in 3 sets anyway. That is the difference w/ the sisters right now as well. I say if Serena going into the French wins all 3 of her clay tournies, She will go undefeated.

TM
Apr 2nd, 2003, 04:05 AM
never say never. this bitch is GREAT! she should only play a tourny if she's feeling 100% or over. SHE CAN DO IT! COME ON SERENA!

moby
Apr 2nd, 2003, 04:35 AM
With all of the talk of Serena possibly going undefeated this year, which I think would break Martina's Open Era record of losing just one match in 1983, I was wondering who was the last player to do this?

i dont even think she would break martina's record? because martina actually won 80+ matches that year...

Jakeev
Apr 2nd, 2003, 06:48 AM
In the history of tennis Rtael I think players did go undefeated in a calender year. Just not in the Open era. And easy, it doesn't matter how many matches Martina won in 1983, she still lost that match in Paris.

moby
Apr 2nd, 2003, 07:01 AM
In the history of tennis Rtael I think players did go undefeated in a calender year. Just not in the Open era. And easy, it doesn't matter how many matches Martina won in 1983, she still lost that match in Paris.

yeah she did. but you could argue that if she didnt play as much she could have been undefeated. if she didnt take part in RG, she would still have ended the year 80-0 or something

tennisIlove09
Apr 2nd, 2003, 07:07 AM
:rolleyes: for about the 50th time [or however many other threads have been about the same thing :rolleyes:]...I don't think Serena will go all year undefeated. Everyone's making a big deal thus far, but she's only played 3 events. And clay is so unpredictable.

If she's perfect after the US Open, I may change my mind but until then no.

irma
Apr 2nd, 2003, 07:09 AM
but then you can also say if steffi had not played amelia island in 89 and had lived like a good professional (that means no pizza's) she would have been undefeated too;)

moby
Apr 2nd, 2003, 07:12 AM
but then you can also say if steffi had not played amelia island in 89 and had lived like a good professional (that means no pizza's) she would have been undefeated too;)

i guess we could ;)
but then she would have to skip RG too
isnt that pushing it a little too much

Jakeev
Apr 2nd, 2003, 07:14 AM
Irma darling as a big Steffi fan you do realize if she had not played Amelia Island in 89 she still would have finished the year with one loss right?

:kiss:

irma
Apr 2nd, 2003, 07:16 AM
yeah but at the french, she was sick from the pizza;)

irma
Apr 2nd, 2003, 07:18 AM
steffi was leading 5:3 in both matches btw!

Jakeev
Apr 2nd, 2003, 07:20 AM
Irma did she also have match points in both matches? I don't remember.

irma
Apr 2nd, 2003, 07:23 AM
not in paris, not sure about amelia island but I don't think so (I think was a cursed tournament though, no wonder she never returned after 92;))

Jakeev
Apr 2nd, 2003, 07:27 AM
But she still won titles there so she still conquered Amelia Island regardless.........come to think of it, I can't think of an important tournament she has never won.

irma
Apr 2nd, 2003, 07:33 AM
no she was cursed against sabatini not against other players;)

she didn't win eastbourne but then she only played it once, ranked 91, no matchpractise and in a cranky mood;)

propi
Apr 2nd, 2003, 08:23 AM
no, even if she does not lose a match in clay

doloresc
Apr 2nd, 2003, 11:38 AM
i think she has the confidence but i don't think it's possible. champions like serena are still human so i will say no, to your question. it would be great if she could accomplish such a feat but the chances are very slim.

bandabou
Apr 2nd, 2003, 12:24 PM
I don't think Serena can go the whole year undefeated. The thoughest time for her will be after the US open and not during the clay season. Remember last year she only lost twice on clay and in both matches she had chances. Against Snchyder she had match points and against Henin that tie-breaker could have gone both ways! But I think she has a great chance to win the GRAND SLAM though! Provided she is healthy and stays away from the room-service, she can do it!! If she wins RG we are looking at the slam! Wimbledon and US.open are Williams affair any way, so the biggest challenge should be RG.That would make it 7 straight!!