PDA

View Full Version : how soon will Anna have to start playing qualifiers?

tennischick
Apr 1st, 2003, 03:15 PM
i know that she met the eligibility for gold exempt/wild card for much of last year. what is her status for 2003? is she still eligible for wildcards or will she soon have to start playing qualifying rounds? how is this determined? :confused:

Dava
Apr 1st, 2003, 03:37 PM
As far as Im aware she can still get Gold Exempts, as she is ranked 12th on the rankings list, This will stand untill RG when they re-issue the list to meet the rankings and the fact Martina Hingis has gone etc.

apoet29
Apr 1st, 2003, 03:45 PM
I don't see that Anna will ever have to play qualifying. She is simply too much of a draw to not receive WC's. However, the real question is, should Kournikova play qualies to get back into some sort of form? I think that until she gets back into some sort of form, playing qualies and getting that extra match practice could only help her.

selesfan87
Apr 1st, 2003, 03:51 PM
Will she want to play Qualifiers? She may want to get back into form and do well, but may not want to play qualies.

Anyone remember her match (with Hingis I think) when, despite her efforts to lose, they were leading, and she retired half-way through the third set, even though they were leading and she had no injuries?

Dava
Apr 1st, 2003, 03:54 PM
Anyone remember her match (with Hingis I think) when, despite her efforts to lose, they were leading, and she retired half-way through the third set, even though they were leading and she had no injuries?

I think you mean when she was playing with Natasha against Anke, and babsi in Mexico, but please remember that they also were trying to loose as well!

Havok
Apr 1st, 2003, 05:45 PM
probably NEVER. tournies would kill for Anna to be a part of them because lets face it, she brings in the $$$$$$$$$$. she'll prob get WC for ever until she's able to get in with her won ranking.

tennischick
Apr 1st, 2003, 08:45 PM
As far as Im aware she can still get Gold Exempts, as she is ranked 12th on the rankings list, This will stand untill RG when they re-issue the list to meet the rankings and the fact Martina Hingis has gone etc.
thanks, this is what i wanted to know. thanks all. :wavey:

Simplify
Apr 1st, 2003, 08:52 PM
Unfortunately, the answer is probably NEVER! I hate to say this, but I think having to play qualies may be the wake-up call she needs. I think that by always being given a wildcard, she's not EARNING her way. So, I don't think she realizes how easy things are for her in a way. I just think that if she had to WORK to get there, then she would appreciate it more. Also, maybe if she played qualies, she would be in a winning groove by the time the main draw started.

Come on, Anna!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

WtaTour4Ever
Apr 1st, 2003, 08:53 PM
I think you mean when she was playing with Natasha against Anke, and babsi in Mexico, but please remember that they also were trying to loose as well!

I'm confused .....why is everyone trying to loose this match.

Dava
Apr 1st, 2003, 08:56 PM
I'm confused .....why is everyone trying to loose this match.

I can't remember I read an article about it, I think it was either they were unhappy with the accomodation or they just wanted to prepare for the next event, but I think it was the former, perhaps Im mixed up with something else. It is mentioned in venus envy on the chapter on Anna as well.

tennischick
Apr 1st, 2003, 08:57 PM
i was just going to ask dava-russian rule this as a PM but i'll ask it here in light of your answer Simplify.

does having "gold exempt" status mean that Anna remains eligible for wildcards forever? i thought that it was only good for one calendar year and only bec she was ranked in the top 50. well she is well below that now so how does she remain eligible for gold exampt status?

understand that this is a separate question from why tournies would want to give her wildcards anyway. as long as he remains a draw, she will continue to get them i suppose.

as for your point (and others) apoet, it would be horrible for Anna to go out in qualifying rounds. i'm not sure that any tourny would want to risk that -- but i'm not sure that she would either.

selesrules
Apr 1st, 2003, 09:04 PM
how soon will Anna have to start playing qualifiers?

When cows fly. Anna is bigger then all the players in the qualifying COMBINED. :worship:

Dava
Apr 1st, 2003, 09:08 PM
i was just going to ask dava-russian rule this as a PM but i'll ask it here in light of your answer Simplify.

does having "gold exempt" status mean that Anna remains eligible for wildcards forever? i thought that it was only good for one calendar year and only bec she was ranked in the top 50. well she is well below that now so how does she remain eligible for gold exampt status?

understand that this is a separate question from why tournies would want to give her wildcards anyway. as long as he remains a draw, she will continue to get them i suppose.

as for your point (and others) apoet, it would be horrible for Anna to go out in qualifying rounds. i'm not sure that any tourny would want to risk that -- but i'm not sure that she would either.

She is a highly marketable player, this is what these rankings are based on, how marketable the players, are, people like to see Anna play, so the tournamet directors want to her to go. Anna was top ten so as long as she stays popular with the crowds I cant see her falling off this list.

People say she should go and do qualies but if she did not accept these wild cards she would not be eligable for her cash bonus.

the cat
Apr 1st, 2003, 09:17 PM
TC, Anna plays so seldom now that playing the qualifying might actually be good for her play in the early rounds of tournaments. As apoet mentioned, Anna needs to play matches. And those matches would help her get into better form than she has shown recently. Anna might think playing the qualies is for lesser players. And I doubt Anna thinks of herself as a lesser player. I expect her to continue to accept every wildcard that is offered to her.

tennischick
Apr 1st, 2003, 09:30 PM
...People say she should go and do qualies but if she did not accept these wild cards she would not be eligable for her cash bonus.
what cash bonus? how does this work? :confused:

and again let me restate my question. what exactly does "gold exempt status" mean? how long is it good for? is it something u get for a calendar year or is it something that you keep forever? :confused:

Dava
Apr 1st, 2003, 09:38 PM
GOLD Exempt status means that you are on of the 20 most marketable players on the tour. Anna has a gold exempt Wild Card, meaning that for as long as she remains marketable she will be in the main draw.

You will recieve automatic gold exempt status if you are ranked in the top 16, and then four more players, who the tour deem as marketable (this time it is Anna, Alex, Amanda and Mary)

Gold exempt playera are required to enter a specific amount of Tier 1 and tier 2 events on the WTA calender. The higher they are ranked the more tier 1 and 2's they must commit to, and play, and if they do so they recieve a cash bonus, the bonus is higher the higher the player is ranked.

The reason this is done is so that tournaments can know that they will get the required number of top players for that tier of event. For example a tier 1 event must have about 5 players out of the top 10 Gold Exempt players, or that event can sue the tour, for not meeting the required amount of player, (this happened in Amelia Island once).

There is also a sliver exempt list, but that really is more tier 3 and 4.

Dava
Apr 1st, 2003, 09:39 PM
The rankings are reissued in March and October every year as well. They will have just been done now, but will not be in effect until Birmingham.

In theory Anna could fall off the list, but I dont see that happening, being the 'sexiest woman in the world' etc.

tennischick
Apr 1st, 2003, 09:47 PM
thanks so much dava. great info. :kiss:

Dava
Apr 1st, 2003, 09:48 PM
Thats okay Tennis Chick anytime

apoet29
Apr 1st, 2003, 09:50 PM

Honestly, I disagree with you. It would give Anna some much needed match practice and would help build up her self-esteem. At this point for her, any win would help. Even if Anna were to lose, it would still give her a chance to figure out what is wrong with her game. I think it looks just as bad that Anna is going out in the first round of tournaments to players like Safina (Miami) and Husarova (Adidas). No offense intended toward either lady, but these are players that Anna would normally beat quite easily. Qualifying would give her a chance to work her way into a tournament and thus be ready to play her first round match.

I know that neither Anna nor any tournament director will ever risk her playing qualies. There is too much money involved to have her do that. To put it another way, if playing challengers and qualies was good enough for Agassi (A GS winner) then they are good enough for Anna.

auntie janie
Apr 1st, 2003, 11:18 PM
Hey, Chanda had to play qualies last year when she returned from her extensive surgery layoff, and she is a former world #6. True, maybe she would not have ben offered WCs the way Anna would, but look at the difference in the results since each returned from months-long layoffs (Anna returning in Sept. 2001) and it's hard to argue against Chanda's approach. :)

tennischick
Apr 2nd, 2003, 12:40 AM
...I know that neither Anna nor any tournament director will ever risk her playing qualies. There is too much money involved to have her do that. To put it another way, if playing challengers and qualies was good enough for Agassi (A GS winner) then they are good enough for Anna.
i hear ya! and i think we agree more then we disagree.

it's bad enuf to have Anna losing in the opening rounds of tournies. but to have her lose in the first round of qualies is something that neither she nor her handlers would dare risk.

but you're absolutely right. if it was good enuf for Andre then it's more than good enuf for her. her refusal (?) to do it actually highlights how serious (or not) she is about her tennis. one of the reasons i adore Agassi is bec i have this memory of him playing a tourny when he was ranked 144. he was completely out of shape and form. he ran into the shaded area to get away from the sun every chance he got. and he persisted until he got back into dominant form. i will never forget or lose my ability to appreciate this.

but Anna is clearly no Andre. i'm slowly beginning to think that she is in it for the bucks. winning doesn't necessarily improve her fiscal shituation does it??? :o

selesfan
Apr 2nd, 2003, 02:31 AM
Hey, Chanda had to play qualies last year when she returned from her extensive surgery layoff, and she is a former world #6. True, maybe she would not have ben offered WCs the way Anna would, but look at the difference in the results since each returned from months-long layoffs (Anna returning in Sept. 2001) and it's hard to argue against Chanda's approach. :)

I think Anna should follow Chanda's lead and play some qualifying matches to get her some match wins before she enters a main draw. :)

tennis4life
Apr 2nd, 2003, 03:39 AM
The rankings are reissued in March and October every year as well. They will have just been done now, but will not be in effect until Birmingham.

In theory Anna could fall off the list, but I dont see that happening, being the 'sexiest woman in the world' etc.

Hardly the sexiest woman; maybe the sexiest Girl?? :o

t4l

Dawn Marie
Apr 2nd, 2003, 04:06 AM
Anna needs to stop thinking of herself as this big draw and stop worrying about her management. Just play qualifying and work the way back up. The greatest Risk is not taking one. Really so what if she loses at first? Who said it was going to be easy?? She won't always lose and if the managment does not like it. if she loses because "it won't look good".. well Anna needs to say to them "screw you".

Anna only needs to focus on her tennis and not the hype that surrounds her. One more thing.. I am tired of people saying that Anna is a huge draw. Before Anna played tennis the WTA was fine. It was not falling under or anything. They are using Anna to make more money, but what Anna should realize by now is that she is letting them. It is not helping her at the moment.

Bottom Line: What is really the excuse on why Anna is not qualifying or just trying to change something up?? Managment and selling tickets are not Anna's problem. Is she more concerned about this then she is about what may work for her tennis?

Imho this is why I state that Anna is not mentally ready... yet. I think she is more consumed with the persona than she is her tennis.

tennischick
Apr 2nd, 2003, 10:55 AM
i agree. and is it that Solomon isn't saying this to her or that she refuses to listen?

having said that, her 6-4, 4-6, 4-6 loss to Iva is quite promising. who knows, maybe things are looking up! ;)

Dava
Apr 2nd, 2003, 11:00 AM
I just hope that she can get it together before Stanford, but the luls all seem to come at once, its so frustrating, especially after she played well before she was injured (if you ignore the US Open).

Gowza
Apr 2nd, 2003, 11:23 AM
i think playing qualifying will do her good at this point so she can get some confidence back in her game.

tennischick
Apr 3rd, 2003, 12:28 PM
well it seems that she has chosen to play a challenger event over playing qualies.

Dava
Apr 3rd, 2003, 03:47 PM
Well I actually think thats a better desicion so long as she plays well. I mean if she where to loose in the first round of the challenger then... Well I dread to think what would happen.

the cat
Apr 3rd, 2003, 07:06 PM
TC, maybe things are looking up for Anna? I wish. But I don't think so. There is a real possiblity she could lose every match until the grass court season. Her play on clay is poor to begin with and it's her worst surface. So realistically things are looking bleak for Anna. Maybe when the grass court season comes she will play a more attacking style of tennis that suits her game. Clay courts don't suit her game at all.

And I agree with everbody who points out that why would she play a challenger if she won't play the qualies. But atleast Anna is finally swallowing her stubborn pride and realizes she has to start over. Even it that means playing the occasional challenger.

But unfortunately whoever plays Anna in a challenger will be so pumped up to beat her for the publicity and attention it will garner. I hope Anna can handle the pressure of playing the minor leagues of tennis and being expected to win when she plays the challengers.