PDA

View Full Version : Is there any doubt now that Kim isn't no treat for Williams domination?!

bandabou
Apr 1st, 2003, 01:53 PM
After seeing Serena beating Kim so easily at the Nasdaq I can really say that Kim's gone backwards now! She even seemed deflated after the loss! Serena sent out a loud and clear message: Kim you still got work to do!!!

c2
Apr 1st, 2003, 01:55 PM
bandabou dont' be a fool.. Kim pulled out of doubles the next day because of stomach flu.. she OBVIOUSLY wasn't feeling well that day :rolleyes:

leslie
Apr 1st, 2003, 01:56 PM
After seeing Serena beating Kim so easily at the Nasdaq I can really say that Kim's gone backwards now! She even seemed deflated after the loss! Serena sent out a loud and clear message: Kim you still got work to do!!!

And I think that message was heard loud and clear. Why would they ever think Kim was a threat to Serena I do no know. Serena whip her so good she could not even complete her doubles match. Serena had her running from one end of the court to the other and she was deflated.

leslie
Apr 1st, 2003, 01:57 PM
bandabou dont' be a fool.. Kim pulled out of doubles the next day because of stomach flu.. she OBVIOUSLY wasn't feeling well that day :rolleyes:

Yea, I bet. Stop making excuses for her. Serena was Ill also but she completed the tournment. I know that win at the year ending championship was a fluke.

MarcusRock
Apr 1st, 2003, 02:21 PM
Well if they're giving 5 to 1 odds on Kim at the French Open, maybe I'll have my boys pay Serena and Venus a visit so I can turn my 5 dollars into 25 dollars. I'll have some pretty good lunches the week after let me tell ya. You see, in addition to investigative assignments, my boys also take care of "other tasks." Fear the boys.

http://www.angelfire.com/rock3/marcusrock/FBI.gif

Serendy Willick
Apr 1st, 2003, 02:25 PM
Kim is a great player and will always be a threat. I'm not buying the Stomach Flu excuse considering that she had no problem waxing Dokic in less than an hour( in fact she has been waxing everyone in less than an hour). Kim got beat plain and simple. Just like at Antwerp.

Dava
Apr 1st, 2003, 02:26 PM
I am not undermining Rena achievment but Kim did not play at all well, in fact the TV commentators described her play as awful. Kim played worse then she did at the Scottsdale final.

leslie
Apr 1st, 2003, 02:30 PM
I am not undermining Rena achievment but Kim did not play at all well, in fact the TV commentators described her play as awful. Kim played worse then she did at the Scottsdale final.

She is no match for S/V that is why. Serena sure shut Maryjo and pam up. Bunch of Illiterate commentators who is looking for anyone to take down a Williams. It never cease to amaze me why can't Pam and Maryjo enjoy the Williams domination, afterall they are Americans like them and you should root for your own and forget the colour of a person's skin.

irma
Apr 1st, 2003, 02:30 PM
hi nuri! :wavey:

kim for the french open 2003. :worship:

Dava
Apr 1st, 2003, 02:33 PM
She is no match for S/V that is why. Serena sure shut Maryjo and pam up. Bunch of Illiterate commentators who is looking for anyone to take down a Williams.

It was not Pam and Mary Jo! It was Simon and Jo Durie, and if you think Im just making excuses look at the AO match see how well Kim played compared to last Thursday.

But does this really matter, I mean its one match, if tennis was based on the results of just one match, Kim would have never beaten Rena in LA.

Serendy Willick
Apr 1st, 2003, 02:36 PM
Serena didnt play much better either, in fact she kept giving the break back with shitty ufes. In the second Serena played much better. THE BETTER PLAYER WON!

Hulet
Apr 1st, 2003, 02:41 PM
pfft @ some kim fans and their endless excuses....

But, I don't think you can disregard Kim as a non-threat against Serena especially in clay (especially now that Irma is favouring kim to win FO:)). Anyways, I will always feel nervous whenever serena plays kim.

disposablehero
Apr 1st, 2003, 02:48 PM
Is there any doubt now that Williams fans are panicked by Kim's steady improvement? Given that they often start threads like this and quickly all rush in to comment on any positive Kim threads.

Josh
Apr 1st, 2003, 02:49 PM
Is there any doubt now that Kim isn't no treat for Williams domination?!

She isn't no threat....I agree, she is a threat.

Volcana
Apr 1st, 2003, 03:12 PM
Is there any doubt that Kim is NO threat?

Yes there is still doubt.

Or, to be more specific, she already IS a threat, without any doubt. A threat being something that could potentially happen, but has not yet occured.

She did, after all beat both of them last year, and she should improve. Venus and Serena both improved between ages 19 and 21. I have reason to assume Kim won't. She's not only a threat, but the likeliest threat. There's a reason why 'that's not a threat, its a promise' is a cliche.

What Kim isn't is a PROMISE to end the 'Williams Domination'. By any dictionary defintion, she already is a threat, and has been for some time.

leslie
Apr 1st, 2003, 04:01 PM
Is there any doubt that Kim is NO threat?

Yes there is still doubt.

Or, to be more specific, she already IS a threat, without any doubt. A threat being something that could potentially happen, but has not yet occured.

She did, after all beat both of them last year, and she should improve. Venus and Serena both improved between ages 19 and 21. I have reason to assume Kim won't. She's not only a threat, but the likeliest threat. There's a reason why 'that's not a threat, its a promise' is a cliche.

What Kim isn't is a PROMISE to end the 'Williams Domination'. By any dictionary defintion, she already is a threat, and has been for some time.

I wish people would stop saying she beat both of them she did not even Kim said it herself. Any blind man could see Venus was hurt since then Venus kicked her but 6-2-6-4 a couple of weeks ago. Again she did not beat both of them.

Volcana
Apr 1st, 2003, 04:07 PM
Leslie - I've always been to say a retirement is a loss, and a walkover is not. further, Venus is my favorite player. But let's play it your way.
Here's the H2H

2001 U.S. Open Hard (O) QF V.WILLIAMS 6-3 6-1
2002 Hamburg Clay (O) FR CLIJSTERS 6-1 3-6 4-6
2002 Stanford Hard (O) FR V.WILLIAMS 6-3 6-3
2002 San Diego Hard (O) QF V.WILLIAMS 6-3 5-7 6-4
2002 Tour Champs Hard (I) SF CLIJSTERS 0-5 Ret
2003 Antwerp Carp (I) FR V.WILLIAMS 6-2 6-4

Why doesn't 2002 Hamburg count? That WAS 'last year'.

gentenaire
Apr 1st, 2003, 04:23 PM
What Josh said! LOL

Seriously though, I don't think Kim can beat Venus and Serena on a consistent basis, but she can beat them every now and then, so she is a threat!

Renee
Apr 1st, 2003, 05:12 PM
Is there any doubt now that Williams fans are panicked by Kim's steady improvement? Given that they often start threads like this and quickly all rush in to comment on any positive Kim threads.

Who is the Williams fan that started this thread?

WtaTour4Ever
Apr 1st, 2003, 05:17 PM
What Josh said! LOL

Seriously though, I don't think Kim can beat Venus and Serena on a consistent basis, but she can beat them every now and then, so she is a threat!

I pretty much agree.....I wouldn't think, nor do I think Venus or Serena takes playing Kim for granted. Jen.C and Kim are the only two I really get excited to see play Serena.

Volcana
Apr 1st, 2003, 05:37 PM
leslie?

Havok
Apr 1st, 2003, 05:41 PM
yup it's gone, unless Kim becomes extremely offensive against them. she had her BEST chance at OZ, and she blew it there, it's pretty unimaginable for me to think she'll really challenge them again. sad though

propi
Apr 1st, 2003, 05:43 PM
Kim will always be a treat for any tennis player, as well as Monica, Justine, Chanda, Jennifer, Lindsay and a lot more, any player with talent (and there are lots) is always a potential treat, remember RG when Schwartz defeated Venus....

harloo
Apr 1st, 2003, 06:12 PM
IMO, Kim is a threat because she has had some great results over the past year. But I still haven't seen any player who is aggressive enough to take out the Williams on a consistent basis. I would say Capriati, but she folds mentally.

If one of the sisters are off their games Kim can beat them and has beaten them in the past. IMO, you should never underestimate your opponents. So that's why I like Serena's mindset when she says every match is different. You cannot afford to underestimate anybody.

For the French, I think their is alot of competition. You have Henin who is good on the stuff, you also have Kim who is good on it. Don't forget Capriati either. So, even if either of my girls don't win it won't be too bad because I know they will take Wimby and the USO.

persond
Apr 1st, 2003, 06:32 PM
:cool: I think Serena's first "loss" of the season will come from Venus as she "whupps" Serena's azz at this years French Open!!! Remember, I predicted it "here" first!!! I think that's Venus' one real goal for this year!!! :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss:

Gooooooooo VENUS :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

Hurley
Apr 1st, 2003, 06:52 PM
This thread starter is right! She's no treat for their domination at all!

Havok
Apr 2nd, 2003, 02:53 AM
her best chance? I know i just said that about Vee winning the French but thats because i think its still her worst surface and many other players whose games are better on Clay...but Kim is beating everybody besides those two and as long as she is playing for another 5 years at least, she will be a threat...domination doesn't last forever!! And i don't believe the question was asked in terms of a time frame...
oh, i'm sorry maybe i didnt make myself clear. i am saying that kim isn't a threat to Serena and Serena only for the time being. she's definitley a threat to the rest of the field though

c2
Apr 2nd, 2003, 04:30 AM
eta psi - I can't believe you said that.. Kim has NEVER withdrawn or very very rarely... BULLS*** I say :fiery: I'm NOT accusign serena of faking it but she has withdrawn much more than KIM! You are full of s*** and are now ignored, thank you very much :rolleyes:

Hagar
Apr 2nd, 2003, 07:23 AM
She isn't no threat....I agree, she is a threat.

:D

tennisIlove09
Apr 2nd, 2003, 07:28 AM
If you look at the last year against Serena, Clijsters is challenging her more then anyone [with the possible exception of Capriati]

Fall Indoor Final [forget the event]-Serena 26 63 63
Sanex Champs-Clijsters 75 63
Australian Open-Serena 46 63 75
Miami-Serena 64 62

2 of 4 were three setters.

Not making excuses, but if Serena was tired in LA; Kim was tired in Miami having played 5 straight weeks [Scottsdale; Indian Wells 2 weeks; Miami 2 weeks]

Beat
Apr 2nd, 2003, 08:53 AM
"Is there any doubt now that Kim isn't no treat for Williams domination?!" *reading the question again* "Is there any doubt now that Kim isn't no treat for Williams domination?!"

AHHHHHH! i think my head is exploding :o

BasicTennis
Apr 2nd, 2003, 08:57 AM
Kim remains a threat to the sistahhhs and I could see this happening next year...all her hard work would finally pay off.;)

Kirt12255
Apr 2nd, 2003, 09:08 AM

:wavey: Kim Will!!!! win the french this year. Don't believe I am a "Anti-Williams" poster....I think they have bought more to the womens game than Graf-Seles.

Kim will win....and will be the one to beat....Capriati and Serena are her only threats.

Kim for a double this-next.....watch

Cheer Kirt

:wavey:

bandabou
Apr 2nd, 2003, 12:16 PM
Why keep people saying that Kim's better than the sisters on clay?! Last time I checked both had more clay titles than Kim. In fact Serena until last year hasn't even played much clay matches in and reaches the final of the 3!!! biggest clay tournaments winning 2 of them: Rome and Roland Garros! And the other one she lost in a tight third set tiebreaker!!

The sisters( Serena specially) can play on any surface because they have the ultimate combination of offense-defense! And anyone who saw the last two matches between Serena- Kim must conclude that when Serena doesn't get offensive against Kim, that is: going for to much and just keep the ball in play, Kim can't beat Serena. Serena's getting smarter. When she notices that her shots aren't falling, she just stays back and let the opponent make the offense. When she does this she becomes a Kim-like player, but with more speed AND ability to take over the rally!

moby
Apr 2nd, 2003, 12:22 PM
btw, everyone, isnt kim only 19 or something?

Hulet
Apr 2nd, 2003, 01:39 PM
eta psi - I can't believe you said that.. Kim has NEVER withdrawn or very very rarely... BULLS*** I say :fiery: I'm NOT accusign serena of faking it but she has withdrawn much more than KIM! You are full of s*** and are now ignored, thank you very much :rolleyes:
LOL. I think this is the first time I entered someone's ignore list, and for all the wrong reasons. :) I never said anything about Kim (she is a classy player and never excuses her loss with some stupid reason) but about some of her fans, who excused her loss with a "choke", "it doesn't count b/c it's an exhibition match", "she didn't play well", and "she was sick".

I know I am full of shit, but I don't like to be in your ignore list for the wrong reasons. Time for you to un-ignore me. Someone please repost this message for me, so c2 could see it. Thanks.:)

c2
Apr 4th, 2003, 02:10 PM
OK eta psi you talked me out of it. You're un-ignored now. :) :wavey:

Chance
Apr 4th, 2003, 02:33 PM
personally I feel Justine is a better player than Kim on clay.
As to this thread I agree with tina, I know Kim is capable of defeating either Serena or Venus, as is Monica, Justine, Jennifer, Lindsay,Amelie etc

Serendy Willick
Apr 4th, 2003, 03:39 PM
If you look at the last year against Serena, Clijsters is challenging her more then anyone [with the possible exception of Capriati]

Fall Indoor Final [forget the event]-Serena 26 63 63
Sanex Champs-Clijsters 75 63
Australian Open-Serena 46 63 75
Miami-Serena 64 62

2 of 4 were three setters.

Not making excuses, but if Serena was tired in LA; Kim was tired in Miami having played 5 straight weeks [Scottsdale; Indian Wells 2 weeks; Miami 2 weeks]

Kims draws in Scottsdale, Indian Wells, and Miami were absolute Jokes, thats why I'm not buying it. She had zero threats in Scottsdale (even when the draws came out) and should've won considering Ai Sugiamia had played a massive three setter just a couple hours before. Her Indian Wells draw was the eaisest I've ever seen from anyone. She smoked people in less than an hour at Miami up till the semifinals. No type of mention whatsoever of tiredness or being mentallly and physically empty, like she claimed. I didnt condone it when Serena said it in LA(which according to some, Serena gave zero credit to Kim, bullcrap, she gave Kim plenty of credit, plus her tired statement (which was said by many other players as well :rolleyes: was taken so out of context, if you think not, then read the whole interview). I dont condone it when Kim does it, I dont care how popular she is.

graf630
Apr 4th, 2003, 08:03 PM
Before anyone gets upset because of what I am about to say,I want you to know Kim is my #1 favorite and Serena is my #3 favorite. I can't stand how everyone wants to put down either of these favorites of mine.Kim does have a ways to go before she can really match Serena's exceptional playing ability.But she does have to game to beat her and Venus.She is only 19 and in only her 2nd full year on tour.Give her time.No one player can be at 100% at every match they play.Being tired,sick,injured or just off your game is no excuse when you lose a match.If you go out on the court to play you have accepted the fact you must play to win.If one of these things are hampering you,you are the one that chose to play.No one forced you to go out there.
Now I agree Kim should have won at Scotsdale.I don't think she was ready to play such a pumped up Ai. That girl was on fire that week.She was the better player that day. Kim did take out Shaughnessy who is by no means a push over on the tennis court(ask Venus). Now at Indian Wells Kims draw was not that much of a joke,1rd-Zuluga #70,2rd-Schiavone #38, 3rd-Dechy #19,QF-Rubin #12,SF-Martinez #31,final-Davenport #7.These are all quality players that can win on any given day.
Now Miami's draw was alot less of a joke for Kim than it was for Serena. Kim's road to the Semi's, 1rd-Jeong Cho #54,2rd-Suarez #28,3rd-Pistolesi #16,QF-Dokic #9 .
Serena's Miami draw 1rd-Schiavone #37,2rd-Panova #26,3rd-Tulyaganova #42,QF-Bartoli #96.
If you add up the quality points for each player BEFORE playing each other: Kim's quality pts =101 ,Serena's quality pts =39. So who had the easier draw? :rolleyes:
Ok with that said I am looking forward to many more matches between these players.I just want to see a good match(I prefer 3 set matches).The field is very deep now in the WTA.There is alot of respect between most the players because they know they have to play top level tennis to beat most anybody.Kim is a threat to everybody on tour,but for a while Serena will dominate everybody.Serena has alot of respect for Kim and knows she has to play her best tennis to continually beat her.And Venus too.GOOD LUCK to all my favorite players throughout the 2003 year!! :bounce:

1jackson2001
Apr 4th, 2003, 09:12 PM
Actually Kim may be a "treat" for the Williams..you never know. ;) Yum!

tennisIlove09
Apr 4th, 2003, 09:17 PM
Kims draws in Scottsdale, Indian Wells, and Miami were absolute Jokes, thats why I'm not buying it. She had zero threats in Scottsdale (even when the draws came out) and should've won considering Ai Sugiamia had played a massive three setter just a couple hours before. Her Indian Wells draw was the eaisest I've ever seen from anyone. She smoked people in less than an hour at Miami up till the semifinals. No type of mention whatsoever of tiredness or being mentallly and physically empty, like she claimed. I didnt condone it when Serena said it in LA(which according to some, Serena gave zero credit to Kim, bullcrap, she gave Kim plenty of credit, plus her tired statement (which was said by many other players as well :rolleyes: was taken so out of context, if you think not, then read the whole interview). I dont condone it when Kim does it, I dont care how popular she is.

I don't buy the "I'm tired" or "he/she is tired" excuse either. As for the draws, Kim could only play who won. Indian Wells was suppose to be tough with Dechy and Hantuchova. But Dani lost early.

Miami and Australia were easy draws, but that's how it works sometimes. Serena had a very easy draw at last year's US Open.

selesfan87
Apr 4th, 2003, 09:24 PM
I would say Kim is a threat, and Serena needs to play well to beat her, and she realises that. She raises her game. At Serena's best, Kim is no threat, but if Serena isn't on form, Kim has a chance.

Serendy Willick
Apr 5th, 2003, 07:51 PM
I don't buy the "I'm tired" or "he/she is tired" excuse either. As for the draws, Kim could only play who won. Indian Wells was suppose to be tough with Dechy and Hantuchova. But Dani lost early.

Miami and Australia were easy draws, but that's how it works sometimes. Serena had a very easy draw at last year's US Open.

Agreed, but the US Open draw last year wasnt as easy as you think, unless you think Hantucova, Davenport, or Venus are walkovers. :)