PDA

View Full Version : In this thread, we write players' names in their native language (updated)

Messenger
Apr 1st, 2003, 12:07 PM
Hi everyone,

We'll need the help of everyone on this one! I think it should be interesting to learn Rita Kuti-Kis in Hungarian, Ai Sugiyama in Japanese etc.

Edit:

Ĺsa Svensson
Monika Seleš
Iroda To'laganova
Maja Matevžič
Mirjana Lučić
Jelena Kostanić

Elena Daniilidou - Ελένη Δανιηλίδου
Ai Sugiyama - 杉山 愛
Tamarine Tanasugarn - แทมมารีน ธนสุกาญจน์

Anastasia Myskina- Анастасия Мыскина
Elena Bovina - Елена Бовина
Elena Dementieva -Елена Дементьева
Tatiana Panova - Татьяна Панова
Elena Likhovtseva- Елена Лиховцева
Vera Zvonareva- Вера Звонарева
Anna Kournikova - Анна Курникова
Lina Krasnorutskaya- Лина Красноруцкая
Nadia/Nadezhda Petrova- Надя/Надежда Петрова
Maria/Masha Sharapova- Мария/Маша Шарапова
Alina Jidkova - Алина Жидкова

Messenger
Apr 2nd, 2003, 01:06 AM
Bump!

oggie
Apr 2nd, 2003, 01:11 AM
Monika Seleš.

Mikey
Apr 2nd, 2003, 01:11 AM
Lindsay Davenport ;)

Messenger
Apr 2nd, 2003, 01:28 AM
Hi oggie, that's Hungarian isn't it?

Hi Mikey, OMG what freaky language did you translate Lindsay's name into I can't work it out? :)

oggie
Apr 2nd, 2003, 01:43 AM
Actually it is Serbian. It would probably be the same in Hungarian, although I'm not 100% sure.

Messenger
Apr 2nd, 2003, 01:48 AM
Thanks oggie. I think Hungarian might look different from that, also someone once told me that if it is indeed a Hungarian name it's pronounced "shelesh". But she's originally from Serbia, so that's the way it would've been written.

Majafan
Apr 2nd, 2003, 05:52 AM
Maja Matevžič (Slovenija)

Messenger
Apr 2nd, 2003, 05:59 AM
Maja, can you write Tina Pisnik and Katerina Srebotnik as well? Thanks!

luv-ya
Apr 2nd, 2003, 06:02 AM
sugiyama ai
杉山 愛 kanji
すぎやま あい romaji

Messenger
Apr 2nd, 2003, 06:06 AM
Hi luv-ya,

Is Ai just the kanji for love? Why is there a kanji for Sugiyama when it's not a word?

luv-ya
Apr 2nd, 2003, 06:14 AM
Hi luv-ya,

Is Ai just the kanji for love? Why is there a kanji for Sugiyama when it's not a word?
well, ai does stand for love,
and her name also stands for something else,
ai being love is more widely known
sugi- is a kinda tree
yama- means mountain

also Yoon-Jeong Cho
무뭏쵀
趙倫貞

both Japanese and Korean have sound words,
also characters in Chinese,
coz both languages are derived from Chinese

luv-ya
Apr 2nd, 2003, 06:17 AM
ok now, who can tell me how to write
Amanda Coezter/Cara Black in African....:)

Eleni Danillidou in Greek......:)

and Anna Pistolesi in Hebrew.:)

Master Lu
Apr 2nd, 2003, 06:21 AM
Maja, can you write Tina Pisnik and Katerina Srebotnik as well? Thanks!
They're written exactly the same.

Iva Majoli as well.
Mirjana Lučić
Goran Ivanišević
Ivan Ljubičić
Jelena Kostanić
Silvija Talaja
Karolina Sprem
Ivana Abramović
Mario Ančić

All Croatians (Svi Hrvati)
All from Croatia (Svi iz Hrvatske) ;)

These are the ones of the top of my head. Again, I'm not sure it'll print it right, but I see the 'č' in Matevžič, so it just might.

Messenger
Apr 2nd, 2003, 06:21 AM
I see, so her Sugiyama is written as a combination of two words. Hmm, I only see squares for Cho's name in Korean - guess I need to download a font for that.

Messenger
Apr 2nd, 2003, 06:23 AM
They're written exactly the same.

Iva Majoli as well.
Mirjana Lučić
Goran Ivanišević
Ivan Ljubičić
Jelena Kostanić
Silvija Talaja
Karolina Sprem
Ivana Abramović
Mario Ančić

All Croatians (Svi Hrvati)
All from Croatia (Svi iz Hrvatske) ;)

These are the ones of the top of my head. Again, I'm not sure it'll print it right, but I see the 'č' in Matevžič, so it just might.

Duh, I really need to hit myself!

I've been to Tina's site, and yes she does right it "Tina Pisnik" with no accents.

Thanks for the list, by the way.

Master Lu
Apr 2nd, 2003, 06:28 AM
Ahhh, there we go. hehe Neither Slovenian, nor Croatian have written accents. Croatian has four different accents, and they each have signs, but they're never written in normal writting. I think Slovenian is simmilar (I know they don't write theirs either).

The little dashes and ticks at the top are actually part of the letter itself. We write with latin alphabeth, but have our own addon letters. So šđžčć are all different letters from sdzc.
Ok, I'll stop with the lesson now. lol

Messenger
Apr 2nd, 2003, 06:32 AM
No I don't mind, this is a language thread where we all teach each other :)

Messenger
Apr 2nd, 2003, 06:35 AM
By the way, as a Croatian native how easy do you find it to understand Slovenian and Serbian? Is it still fairly difficult? I was speaking to a Slovenian girl before (sorry I can't remember her name) who said that all of the Yugoslavian languages are okay to understand except for Macedonian which is "another name for a Bulgarian dialect".

salima
Apr 2nd, 2003, 06:37 AM
Iroda To'laganova , Uzbek that is. It is the language of her country, but Iroda herself has Russian as her first language.
Iroda To'laganova :worship: the spelling may give you a clue in how to pronounce her name ;)

Messenger
Apr 2nd, 2003, 06:44 AM
Thanks salima. So is Tulyaganova originally an Uzbek name that has a Russian form, or is it originally a Russian name that can be written in Uzbek?

pathfinder
Apr 2nd, 2003, 06:49 AM
ok now, who can tell me how to write
Amanda Coezter/Cara Black in African....:)

Eleni Danillidou in Greek......:)

and Anna Pistolesi in Hebrew.:)

It's Ελένη Δανιηλίδου
and it's pronounced Thani-ilíthu (th as in the and not as in thanks)
The rest..i don't know, but i would love to find out. :)

Messenger
Apr 2nd, 2003, 07:03 AM
I'll add all of these to the original post.

Jessi
Apr 2nd, 2003, 07:34 AM
Marat Safin - Марат Сафин

modusbg
Apr 2nd, 2003, 07:35 AM
ok in balcans it goes like this,serbian and croatian language are very,very similar,bosnian doesn't exists,it is a political language and it is 2 years old.моника селеш is monica seles written in serbian cyrillic,until taking citizenship of america her last name wasn't seles it was seleš,and that would be selesh.
serbian and croatian are same languages,and all eminent people and linguists say that,bosnian is serbian though they are tryig ti invent it,slovenian is also similar,macedonian is mixture of serbian and bulgarian,but macedonians speak serbian very well,macedonians and serbian are one people.yes we all speak and understand eachother.

the_ancyent_m
Apr 2nd, 2003, 08:08 AM
Ĺsa Svensson - not Asa, or Osa!

The ĺ is almost like the RP English pronuciation of a in, for instance, the word "all". I think it´s the closest equivalent.

Messenger
Apr 2nd, 2003, 08:10 AM
ok in balcans it goes like this,serbian and croatian language are very,very similar,bosnian doesn't exists,it is a political language and it is 2 years old.моника селеш is monica seles written in serbian cyrillic,until taking citizenship of america her last name wasn't seles it was seleš,and that would be selesh.
serbian and croatian are same languages,and all eminent people and linguists say that,bosnian is serbian though they are tryig ti invent it,slovenian is also similar,macedonian is mixture of serbian and bulgarian,but macedonians speak serbian very well,macedonians and serbian are one people.yes we all speak and understand eachother.

They're making a Bosnian language now? Wow, that's something :)
How about Montenegrin?

salima
Apr 2nd, 2003, 08:20 AM
Thanks salima. So is Tulyaganova originally an Uzbek name that has a Russian form, or is it originally a Russian name that can be written in Uzbek?

Uzbek language is much moore like Turkish, but Russia has ruled in Uzbekistan for 150 years. Tulyaganov is a Uzbek name quite common in Uzbekistan. All names are "russified"

Before the Russian invation the names was different, more pointing at the PLACE you came from, not who you came from.

Messenger
Apr 2nd, 2003, 08:28 AM
I get it now, so Tulyaganova is the female form of a common Russified Uzbek name spelt in Latin letters instead of Cyrillic. Easy :)

Dava
Apr 2nd, 2003, 08:29 AM
Анна Курникова (Anna Kournikova)
Елена Дементьева (Elena Dementieva)
Елена Бовина (Elena Bovina)

Dava
Apr 2nd, 2003, 08:38 AM
I've been trying to figure how to write my own name in russian.

My first name is Daniel, which I have not problem with Даниeл, but with my second name Hughes I cant figure it our. There is no H sound in Russian, I guessed maybe it would be IONEC, but I think thats wrong.

salima
Apr 2nd, 2003, 08:39 AM
Yes,In fact Uzbek is written in latin letters. Unfortunately my computer is not allowed to wright cyrillic. ;) ( But I know who to do it, konjeshna)

mark: the u in Tuyaganova is pron. like the ĺ in ĺsa and the y is not proun.

:confused: not at all :wavey:

SuperG
Apr 2nd, 2003, 10:34 AM
Nadja Petrovas name is actually Nedjelka Petrova but Nadja is just easier.

caramel
Apr 2nd, 2003, 10:57 AM
Here´s a very hard one... ;)

CHANDA RUBIN

:angel:

White Stripes
Apr 2nd, 2003, 12:23 PM
Marlene Weingärtner or Marlene Weingaertner
with ä or ae

Master Lu
Apr 2nd, 2003, 01:04 PM
ok in balcans it goes like this,serbian and croatian language are very,very similar
Correct, though I would put only one very, since there is actually quite a lot of differences, it's just that we can understand eachother so well, so we don't notice them. Also, Serbian is similar to only one Croatian dialect, and we have three.

bosnian doesn't exists,it is a political language and it is 2 years old.
Ditto.

serbian and croatian are same languages
They are not. The ONLY linguists that ever said the two languages were the same are Serbian (from one period of time even), and the few forigners influenced by them.
macedonians and serbian are one people.
Now that's ridiculus. I imagine SM, and other Macedonian posters would take offence. I'll just ask how in the world can you say you're the same people, when Macedonian is totally different from Serbian?!?!
yes we all speak and understand eachother.
Macedonians and Slovenians can understand and speak Serbian and Croatian because they were forced to learn it in schools. I can't understand a word of Macedonian and I have a very hard time with Slovenian because I was never required to study them. You can come to Istra (Čakavski) and Zagorje (Kajkavski) and I can guarantee you you won't understand enough to find a store if they don't speak Štokavski (the third Croatian dialect - the one resembling Serbian). Heck I even have problems understanding people speaking Kajkavski, and I live in Zagreb.

Darn, I did it again. I might as well post the thing. I always get so worked up over this.

Anyway, no there is no Montenegrian, because there was no Montenegro far enough in history for a language to diverge.

Now, I'll try to shutup. :o

Messenger
Apr 2nd, 2003, 01:29 PM
Sure, but reasoning behind that was if the Bosnian people identify themselves so separate as such to deserve their own language "by name only", then why not Montenegrin and even Kosovar :)

I agree with Serbia and Montenegro being separate as well, no more Yugoslavia.

Master Lu like I said before this is a thread about languages so this is all relevant anyway! I was wondering, how do Croats and Serbs view Slovenes since most people consider their country to be "superior", that is it has become the most advanced and wealthy compared to the others after the split? (Though in sport, the Croats are the best)

TennisHack
Apr 2nd, 2003, 01:31 PM

My first name is Daniel, which I have not problem with Даниeл, but with my second name Hughes I cant figure it our. There is no H sound in Russian, I guessed maybe it would be IONEC, but I think thats wrong.

There is an 'H' sound in Russian -- x ;) So I'd guess it would be xyuz (I don't have Cyrillics on my computer, but that's the transliteration).

Nina_rus
Apr 2nd, 2003, 01:56 PM

Hughes will be Хьюз ;)

now to the players:

Nadia/ Nadezhda Petrova- Надя/Надежда Петрова
Maria/Masha Sharapova- Мария/ Маша Шарапова
Yevgeny Kafelnikov - Евгений Кафельников
Alina Judkova - Алина Жидкова

Glenn
Apr 2nd, 2003, 02:24 PM
Justine Henin-Hardenne :rolleyes:

Dava
Apr 2nd, 2003, 02:26 PM
Hughes will be Хьюз ;)

now to the players:

Nadia/ Nadezhda Petrova- Надя/Надежда Петрова
Maria/Masha Sharapova- Мария/ Маша Шарапова
Yevgeny Kafelnikov - Евгений Кафельников
Alina Judkova - Алина Жидкова

Thanks

Master Lu
Apr 2nd, 2003, 03:33 PM
I was wondering, how do Croats and Serbs view Slovenes since most people consider their country to be "superior", that is it has become the most advanced and wealthy compared to the others after the split? (Though in sport, the Croats are the best)
You're playing with fire here. lol But I'll take the bait. :)

The more resonable question would be how do Croats and Slovenians view Serbs. But anyway, I can give you some facts and my view on them, and remember I'm Croatian (and much more patriotic while in the States where I am now. lol)
So, a fact of the matter is that before the split Slovenia and Croatia were the moneymakers. The indoustries and tourism were fluourishing in the two countries. Another fact is that all the money first went to Belgrade. What I view as a fact, but what I'm sure someone will dispute is that almost all of that money stayed in Serbia.
Now, after the split, I don't know much about Serbia (since I'm in the States so I'm not as up to date), but I do know their economy isn't in a very good state right now. Croatia is somewhere in the middle (even though it has the most natural resources and potential :rolleyes:) and Slovenia is far ahead.
The situation between Slovenia and Croatia would I imagine be very amusing for someone from the outside. :o Slovenia can basicaly do whatever it wants in all our disputes (and there's lots of them). Our politicians are so naive that Slovenia always gets what it wants, no matter how absurd those wants are. Hopefuly things will change, but I seriously doubt that.

There. lol Not on the topic of languages at all anymore, but it's your fault. :p Wasn't me! ;)

*Marat BigFan*
Apr 2nd, 2003, 04:38 PM
แทมมารีน ธนสุกาญจน์ (Tammy)

Messenger
Apr 3rd, 2003, 12:09 AM
Thanks Master Lu :)

By the way, you need to ask the admins for a brighter Iva avatar