PDA

View Full Version : SERENA vows to get in shape

TeeRexx
Apr 1st, 2003, 07:15 AM
KEY BISCAYNE, Fla. - Now that she's off to a 17-0 start this year, Serena Williams has decided to buckle down and shape up.

A victory over Jennifer Capriati in the final of the Nasdaq-100 Open made it three titles in as many tournaments this year for Williams. She wore down Capriati in a two-hour slugfest but said she needs to get into better condition.

"I haven't been to the gym in about four weeks," Williams confessed with a sheepish laugh. "I think my trainer's upset about that. And I had a Snickers the other day. I don't know how I stay so fit."

It's a mystery and a marvel, because Williams is running rings around the other players on the women's tour. For them, the prospect of a fitter, faster Williams is frightening.

Big strokes are the most intimidating aspect of her game, but her foot speed is also remarkable. Because she chases down almost every shot, Capriati totaled only 12 winners and Kim Clijsters just six against Williams in the semifinals.

"She's probably the best mover in the game," Clijsters said.

Williams lost only one set and 33 games in six matches at Key Biscayne, and the lopsided results raised anew the question of whether she has become the Tiger Woods of tennis. She is the reigning champion of all four Grand Slam tournaments, and no one appears capable of ending her 39-week stay atop the rankings.

Her older sister, Venus, is a four-time Grand Slam winner and ranked No. 2. But Venus has lost five matches in a row to Serena and was upset at Key Biscayne by Meghann Shaughnessy.

The third-ranked Clijsters handed Williams her most recent defeat at the WTA Championships last November, and led Williams 5-1 in the third set of their semifinal match at this year's Australian Open before losing. But Williams drubbed the Belgian 6-4, 6-2 last week, which suggests the gap between them is growing.

And now Williams plans to start working harder.

"I'm going to actually practice for once," she said. "I don't think I've been doing enough practicing. I can't keep doing it like that. There are people out there who are working hard."

Williams has eight weeks to prepare for her next major event - the French Open beginning May 26. Her next tournament will be at Charleston, S.C., beginning April 7.

The way Williams is playing, her goal of going unbeaten in 2003 doesn't seem preposterous. Martina Navratilova's 86-1 record in 1983 is the best in WTA Tour history.

"I just like to set my goals for the sky and land on the moon," Williams said. "I don't expect to go undefeated all year, but that's just my goal. If it happens, hey, great. If it doesn't, I think that's a pretty impossible goal to reach. I think you've got to set your goals high."
======

I hope that SERENA only has two losses this year.
Roland Garros and Wimbledon.
In the finals of those two events to VENUS. :)

Crazy Canuck
Apr 1st, 2003, 07:19 AM
There is a scary thought, lol.

AjdeNate!
Apr 1st, 2003, 07:19 AM
I see a Snicker's commercial in her future.

moby
Apr 1st, 2003, 07:44 AM
this better be an april fool's joke *shudder*

BasicTennis
Apr 1st, 2003, 08:08 AM
go for perfection Serena!!!!:bounce:

Brαm
Apr 1st, 2003, 01:11 PM
A Snickers...?

OOOOOOOH! How naughty!!! :eek: