PDA

View Full Version : Sarasota = Russia Town?

auntie janie
Apr 1st, 2003, 02:18 AM
Have you seen this draw? It is CRAWLING with Russian players! It's almost funny how many Russians have turned up to play! :D

It is only a Tier 4, but even the best of the Russians face some tough challenges this week in Sarasota; there are very few easy pickin's here.

SO, will we see a Russian finalist here again this year??? If so -- who will it be this time?

Leena
Apr 1st, 2003, 02:43 AM
Anna, Panova, Lina, Alyona, Nadia, Elena L, Nastya... we'll add Iroda to make it a 1/4 (8 out of 32 player) Russian field. :)

It's too bad a certain Russian isn't playing though... :sad:

Gowza
Apr 1st, 2003, 02:54 AM
myskina is the only russian in this tournament to have a title. so hopefully we can get one of the ones without a title to win one.

i think lina has a strong chance in the top half and in the bottom half there is dementieva and petrova so we might even see an all-russian final with the winner getting their first title.

Leena
Apr 1st, 2003, 02:57 AM
Nah... there's no way a Russian will win. I mean, they're Russian, they don't win... it's a way of life.

AKTW
Apr 1st, 2003, 06:33 AM
But I really hope for an all-Russian final.So,at least one of the Russians will win the title.
Of course,I hope Elena win both titles! ;)

Roxers
Apr 1st, 2003, 12:06 PM
An all Russian Final would be great :D
GO RUSSIAN ROULETTE :)

King Aaron
Apr 1st, 2003, 02:53 PM
A Russian finalist? Yes. A Russian winner? Don't think so. I think you should look for a finalist from the bottom draw. Nastya or Nadia.

Dava
Apr 1st, 2003, 04:44 PM
If a russian is to win it would be Myskina. I have to say a lot of Russian have entered the draw for both Indian Wells and Miami, they even mentioned it on Eurosport.

the cat
Apr 1st, 2003, 10:31 PM
It's been a very dissapointing year for the WTA Russian women. No one can deny that. But I hope the turnaround starts in Sarasota.

Janie, I hope you are attending this tournament and file daily reports for us.

auntie janie
Apr 1st, 2003, 11:27 PM
No, cat, I would love to attend, but I am stuck here in Pennsylvania. :)

Okay! So far we've got:

NASTYA: a bravura performance, losing only 3 games! Great start! :kiss:
ELENA D: fought back well after a rough start against the slice-meister and won the 3rd set 6-1. Good heart! :hearts:
IRI: Strong performance agaisnt tough and steady opponent. :)

LINA: Fought hard, but I believe simply ran out of steam in the 3rd. :( Too tough qualy schedule thanks to rain. But, something to work on! At least she qualified. :)

TATIANA: Poor Tatiana, there'll be no repeat of last year. No answers today for a strong Iri, see above. :sad:

auntie janie
Apr 2nd, 2003, 02:53 AM
Update:

KOURNIKOVA: competed much better than in Miami, but lost in 3.

Tomorrow:

NADYA vs ELENA L: Elena will win if Nadya blows her top! :eek:

Leena
Apr 2nd, 2003, 03:14 AM
Anya lost? Geez... if she can't beat Iva, she might as well play challengers. :p

King Aaron
Apr 2nd, 2003, 02:24 PM
Nastya looks like the only player capable of winning now. Her performance against Loit further shows it. Nadia can challenge only if she can find consistency and not blow her top like Janie said.

Gowza
Apr 2nd, 2003, 10:33 PM
dementieva has the game if she gets things right but isn't consistent so don't count her out. she does play pierce in the second round who basically brushed aside bartoli who has been in great form. if she gets past pierce then she is a threat but i think it will be hard to get past pierce.

auntie janie
Apr 3rd, 2003, 03:41 AM
NADYA: Kept her cool and won decisively over experienced Elena L. She seems to have found her game this week ... hope she can keep this up and get her ranking moving! :) Very much alive in the doubles as well, with regular partner Jelena.

ELENA L: Oh well! :(

LINA and ELENA D: Disappointingly ousted in first round of doubles by low-ranked Bartoli/Dominikovic team. :mad: :mad:

Tomorrow, things get interesting ... please let's get somebody into these semis!!!

PierceCheng
Apr 3rd, 2003, 07:08 AM
:confused: Sarasota isn't Russia Town, because Anna, Panova, Elena L. was ousted in first round! :confused:

AKTW
Apr 3rd, 2003, 07:38 AM
LINA and ELENA D: Disappointingly ousted in first round of doubles by low-ranked Bartoli/Dominikovic team. :mad: :mad:

Tomorrow, things get interesting ... please let's get somebody into these semis!!!
I agree with you!
Now,let's hope Elena beat Pierce and meet Anastasia in the QF.Then,it will be really interesting.And I think at least one of them will get into SF.
Go Elena and Anastasia! :bounce:

PierceCheng
Apr 3rd, 2003, 01:00 PM
Thank you, AKTW. But Elena Dementieva & Anastasia Myskina all is my hostile supporter. I'm Mary Pierce's faithful supporter.

King Aaron
Apr 3rd, 2003, 02:23 PM
A job well done Nadia. :)

AKTW, don't be so sure of Nastya reaching the qfs just yet. Nadia has gotten into a groove and when she's on it's hard to beat her. Let's see who will win today. :)

auntie janie
Apr 4th, 2003, 12:18 AM
A sad end today for NADIA in Sarasota-- after splitting sets with Nastya, she twisted her ankle and had to retire from the match, and also to forfeit her doubles match. I hope her ankle is not too bad; I know the timing is bad, with her finally getting some momentum.. :(

So NASTYA advances, but I am sure she would not want to win this way.

Marquee match tonight features ELENA D against Mary Pierce. Anything can happen in that one! I hope it is a great match.

Leena
Apr 4th, 2003, 12:21 AM
Nadia got injured? :sad::sad::sad:

Just when she was playing well too.

auntie janie
Apr 4th, 2003, 01:31 AM
I knowl it's a real shame. :sad:

Here is the official explanation from WTA site:

*Petrova suffered a right ankle*sprain during her singles match earlier in the day, forcing her to retire from singles and withdraw from doubles

auntie janie
Apr 4th, 2003, 02:11 AM
Since a quarter of the starting field was Russian, it is only right and just that there be a Russian semifinalist, and now there will be. :D

ELENA D. fought back from a set down, AGAIN, and beat Mary Pierce 6-2 in the 3rd. More good fighting from ED! :hearts:

The bad part is, next up for Elena is none other than NASTYA. :mad:
This is so annoying, since I really want to see them both get things going here in Sarasota! One must at least reach the final -- after all, this is RUSSIA-TOWN! :D

Leena
Apr 4th, 2003, 02:27 AM
No offense to Nastya, but I really want Alyona to win here. She has to win once.

It's gonna be really tough though... Nathalie in semi's probably... Paola, Clarisa or Alicia in the final.

I hope Alyona is playing well. She has to win. It's about damn time that she does. Daya Alyona! :bounce:

auntie janie
Apr 4th, 2003, 02:44 AM
You know what, I agree with you, Leena. Although I like Nastya better, it is high time for Elena to make a dramatic move, like, how about, WINNING SOMETHING. :eek:

So, if I knew she could win the whole shebang, I would definitely root 100% for Elena in this match. :D

But, if she's just going to beat Nastya and then throw away the semifinal or the final, I will be really mad at her :fiery:, and I will be wishing I had rooted for Nastya all along, who, I will be thinking, would of course have won the title if she had won this quarterfinal. :hearts:

So, without knowing the future, I will go out on a very fragile limb and dare to root for Elena over Nastya, JUST THIS ONCE, but she'd better not get used to it! :kiss:

I hope it's a great match all around. :angel:

Leena
Apr 4th, 2003, 02:52 AM
But, if she's just going to beat Nastya and then throw away the semifinal or the final, I will be really mad at her

We know that's what will probably happen... because that's what Russians do. But that just makes it sweeter when they eventually do well. :)

Leo_DFP
Apr 4th, 2003, 03:02 AM
I knowl it's a real shame. :sad:

Here is the official explanation from WTA site:

*Petrova suffered a right ankle*sprain during her singles match earlier in the day, forcing her to retire from singles and withdraw from doubles

:sad: what a shame, always injured :sad:

Now that Elena beat Mary tonite :fiery: she better go on to win the tournament. I think she has a real shot, if she can get past Anastasia.

auntie janie
Apr 4th, 2003, 03:04 AM
We know that's what will probably happen... because that's what Russians do. But that just makes it sweeter when they eventually do well.

True, but with Elena, I've been waiting for that "sweet eventually" for a little bit TOO LONG!!! :o

Funny how I still keep secretly hoping, though ... there is just something so likable about that maddening, hapless girl! :D :hearts:

PierceCheng
Apr 4th, 2003, 12:50 PM
Update:

KOURNIKOVA: competed much better than in Miami, but lost in 3.

Tomorrow:

NADYA vs ELENA L: Elena will win if Nadya blows her top! :eek:

Eva Majoli was defeated Iroda Tulyganova 7-5, 0-6, 5-7 in second round on Sarasota open.

auntie janie
Apr 4th, 2003, 01:56 PM
Eva Majoli was defeated Iroda Tulyganova 7-5, 0-6, 5-7 in second round on Sarasota open.

That's true, PierceCheng. I should not have left out Iroda.

sartrista7
Apr 4th, 2003, 05:11 PM
One must at least reach the final -- after all, this is RUSSIA-TOWN! :D

janie.... never, never say 'reach the final', otherwise they will, and then they will lose, because that - more than throwing the semi - is the Russian way ;)

One of them must WIN THE TOURNAMENT.

As for which one to root for... well, Nastya's my fave, and I want her back in the top ten - that was an embarrassingly short stay. I'd rather Elena D won a title once she'd improved her overall game - because if she does improve, then she WILL win. Whereas if she wins without improving, she may not have any motivation to change her game.

Oh Alyona, we love you really :D

King Aaron
Apr 4th, 2003, 05:33 PM
Nadia :sad: :sad: She was up 4-2 in the second when she twisted her ankle. I hope it's nothing serious.

I hope Alyona wins. That way Jelena might still be in the top ten. ;)

auntie janie
Apr 4th, 2003, 09:56 PM
Well all our hopes for ELENA were for nought (as usual -- sorry Elena, but it's true!) :o
Still, she fought hard for two long sets before fizzling in the 3rd, losing that 1-6.

I think it was one too many 3-setters for poor Elena, while NASTYA seems to be growing in confidence with each passing game this week.

So Nastya is the sole Russian in the semis, but hey, that's a lot better than zero! She deserves her spot and (with a nod to sartrista7! :) ) I hope she WINS THE TITLE! :hearts:

But I hope Elena will soon be writing a new script for herself in her career, as this "losing" script must be losing it's freshness by now. ;)

the cat
Apr 4th, 2003, 10:32 PM
Myskina is a better tennis player than Dementieva. That much is obvious now. Myskina has real talent, while Elena is just a slugger who has a weak backhand and a weak serve that unfortunately cripples her potentially potent game. :(

Leo_DFP
Apr 5th, 2003, 04:43 AM
I actually think that Elena is more talented than Nastya. However she is far more inconsistent and a mental nutcase. :(

Actually Iva, who beat Anna, is in the semifinals now to face Alicia.

Leena
Apr 5th, 2003, 05:26 AM
It's hard to compare Nastya and Alyona... Nastya is definitely the better athlete, consistent backhand... while Alyona is stronger on the forehand.

No doubt that Nastya is the better player now, due to Alyona's serve being terrible... but if Alyona improves on that, I think they're both pretty equal.

AKTW
Apr 5th, 2003, 06:25 AM
I actually think that Elena is more talented than Nastya. However she is far more inconsistent and a mental nutcase. :(

I agree.
I think this win of Nastya doesn't determine who is the better player as Elena plays better on hard court while Anastasia is a good clay court player.

kournikovafan13
Apr 5th, 2003, 06:38 AM
I disagree AKTW, Nastya probably prefers hard courts - she's had great results on all surfaces but I think her best results have come on hard courts.

Surprisingly, Elena's best results as of late have come.....indoors. :confused:

But anyhow, I still think Nastya is better than Elena by far. Her backhand is far superior to Elena's, she double faults less, and is more consistent off the ground.

Gowza
Apr 5th, 2003, 09:38 AM
dementieva and myskina's h2h was actually 2 all before this match and elena had won the last 2 meetings one of which was last year at the australian open wihich elena took 6-4 6-2. the other one elena won was in 2001 on carpet in 3 sets. myskina won on a hardcourt and on clay and both those wins came from 3 sets. so all of myskina's wins over elena have been 3 set matches.

auntie janie
Apr 5th, 2003, 08:53 PM
Be that as it may it is NASTYA who eases into the final, where she will face the fast-rising Alicia Molik, who is actually 6 months older than Nastya but who has taken a bit longer to find her form. Current rank = 71 to Nastya's 11.

Anastasia has appeared in 6 WTA finals and won 3 of those. Alicia has reached 1 final before today, and she won it.

Should be interesting! Best of luck to The Last Russian Standing, Anastasia! :hearts:

King Aaron
Apr 6th, 2003, 03:55 PM
Should be very interesting. I think it could go either way but Nastya is more solid on clay and has more experience.

auntie janie
Apr 7th, 2003, 01:08 AM
So, NASTYA made sure that the RUSSIAN-TOWN SAGA ended on the right note! :hearts: :kiss: :hearts:

How great is this, to have Russians in the draw and to know that it is POSSIBLE that one of them might take the title? For long-suffering fans of Russian women's tennis, it is BLISS. :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

Of course, we owe it all to ELENA BOVINA-- she, of course, was the one to break the back of The Russian Titleless Curse last year. :angel:

Congrats, Nastya! Thanks, Elena!! :kiss: :kiss:

Leena
Apr 7th, 2003, 01:24 AM
So, NASTYA made sure that the RUSSIAN-TOWN SAGA ended on the right note! :hearts: :kiss: :hearts:

How great is this, to have Russians in the draw and to know that it is POSSIBLE that one of them might take the title? For long-suffering fans of Russian women's tennis, it is BLISS. :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

Of course, we owe it all to ELENA BOVINA-- she, of course, was the one to break the back of The Russian Titleless Curse last year. :angel:

Congrats, Nastya! Thanks, Elena!! :kiss: :kiss:
:):):):)

All Russians should thank Goddess Lena! :) She instills confidence in us all!

Now, Lena just has to break her titleless curse this year. :p

AKTW
Apr 7th, 2003, 08:02 AM
:):):):)

All Russians should thank Goddess Lena! :) She instills confidence in us all!

Now, Lena just has to break her titleless curse this year. :p
Alyona as well!

Finally,a Russian won the title!The fourth of Nastya.

King Aaron
Apr 7th, 2003, 03:51 PM
Congratulations Nastya. :)

:worship: Lena! ;)