PDA

View Full Version : Cara Black: former prodigy

luv-ya
Apr 1st, 2003, 02:14 AM
Talk about having family support. Cara comes from a family like none other. With her older brothers Wayne and Byron who are successful veterans who teamed together to upset Australia in Davis Cup competition early in 1998, Cara is keeping the family tradition of tennis success alive.

Let's face it, Zimbabwe is not known for its tennis champions. Wanye, Byron and Cara are the most successful in their nation's history. But Cara doesn't want it to end there. She wants to be number one, she wants to win Grand Slam titles and she wants it now.

Cara is well on her way to obtaining her goal. In 1997, Cara was nothing short of a living junior tennis legend. Normally, young players focus on singles competition because that is where the fame and money is. But Cara knows that doubles competition can improve your game by forcing you to volley and become comfortable at the net. Along with her partner Irina Selyutina, Cara won ten doubles titles including the junior French Open and Wimbledon titles and they were the finalists at the junior U.S. Open and semi-finalists at the Orange Bowl. In fourteen tournaments together, their worst showing was a quarterfinal finish at the Yucatan Cup. In singles, Cara won five titles including the junior Wimbledon and U.S. Open titles and was the finalist at the junior French Open. In the end, Cara was named the 1997 International Tennis Federation Junior Girl Singles World Champion. She was also named the ITF's Junior Girls Doubles World Champion, an honour that she shared with her partner Irina Selyutina.

With a pedigree like that, Cara seems destined for the greatness of previous junior girls world champions, Martina Hingis, Anna Kournikova and Amelie Mauresmo. And she'll have her family there to support her all along the way.

DutchieGirl
Apr 1st, 2003, 02:16 AM
Except that lately she's been in a slump and having a hard time even staying in the top 50!

I really hope she can get back her form though.

empiremaker03
Apr 1st, 2003, 01:37 PM
...in the latest issues of Tennis is a story of how Cara might have to leave her country for Australia

miranda_lou
Apr 1st, 2003, 03:12 PM
I've been keeping an eye on Cara and she does seem to be in a slump. I saw her play doubles in Miami and, although she's very aggressive, she doesn't seem to think very well on the court and her serve needs work.

On the plus side, she is small but looks to be in great shape and she hits the ball hard. I suppose with the right coaching and dedication she could get to the top 10 but there's no way she'll get pass the big girls out there. She just doesn't have the goods.

Dava
Apr 1st, 2003, 03:15 PM
Like her brothers her main sucess' come in doubles, there is nothing wrong with that, if thats her main priority. Personally I dont think she has the game to make it BIG in singles, which is a shame for former Wimbledon Jnr Champ.

miranda_lou
Apr 1st, 2003, 03:29 PM
There's nothing wrong with making doubles your main focus but it won't get you any glory and doubles might not even be around for too many more years if some tournament directors have their way about it.

I hope Cara tries hard to make a go of it in singles. Getting into the top 10 would be a nice result and would beat the results of both her brothers. :angel:

Tripp
Apr 1st, 2003, 07:03 PM
Being a former Junior champion doesn't necessarily mean you will become a top 10. Look at Federico Browne, from Argentina, now he is hardly in the top 200. And Maria Emilia Salerni, who has never been able to get over the pressure of being a Junior champion.

luv-ya
Apr 2nd, 2003, 12:33 AM
Being a former Junior champion doesn't necessarily mean you will become a top 10. Look at Federico Browne, from Argentina, now he is hardly in the top 200. And Maria Emilia Salerni, who has never been able to get over the pressure of being a Junior champion.
and there are some who never win junior Slams
and still play so well....
no, i'm not talking about those who never played,
i'm talking about Kim Clijster, Hantuchova, Dokic etc.
who even though was quite an active member
in juniors, but their career will never be justified
if you take a look at their junior life......
dont you just find that fascinating?
and Maria has never won a Slam?
while Lina got couple of Slams and was named ITF Junior Champ,
but u know who is more hype now.......

brunof
Apr 2nd, 2003, 01:16 AM
She really was a dominate junior tennis player. I am happy she finally won her first title in Hawaii, I thought it might be a breakthrough. Would you call her inconsistant? Ex. (Beats Maja Matevzic, 6-2, 6-0 and then falls to Paola Suarez, 0-6, 1-6 or something like that.)