PDA

View Full Version : I Love Ya V, But I Had To Do It: Story About Venus Williams

CJ07
Mar 31st, 2003, 11:57 PM
The only reason i play tennis is because of Venus Ebony Starr Williams.
I remember flipping the channels and caught a glimpse of the Queen against baby sis during the 2001 Us Open. I just was shocked at her grace, her style, her demeanor on court. Not too fiesty, not to staid, just right. Venus just mesmorized me :hearts: !

http://users.cybercity.dk/~dsl43526/fotohtm/photo/wil43p.jpg

I became a fan at that moment, catching V whenever I could.
At tournaments, on-line, in the news. Venus was #1. I didnt even like tennis, I just liked Venus. After not seeing V for quite awhile, and actually forgetting about her ( :p ) I flipped the channels and again, it was the queen against the princess. Her grace and smile and losing (all though it became too familiar) and that wave, and oh taking those pictures.

http://images.sportsline.com/u/photos/tennis/img5413746.jpg

:hearts: Venus was just too much!

So I went to the store, bought me a racket, some balls, and was determined to play like Venus. All though it took me about 2 months just to hit the ball right, watching Venus sweep the hardcourt season numerous times (atleast 50 hours worth), I was able to mimic her every move. Forehand, Backhand, everything was around 35% of Miss Williams' game. Including her serve.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/2001_wimbledon/news/2001/07/09/wimbledon_finals/6.jpg

While it worked well at first, Venus serve, which I probably only got about 30% down, really gave me problems. I had trouble generating pace, and when i did, it was erratic. Placement was so-so, although i hit a lot of slice aces, and miss hits were horrible (i once hit a car in the parking lot 100 feet away!) And while I knew it wasnt the motions fault, as I'm now actually pretty good (3.0), the serve had to go. But what was I going to do? Coaches always confused me, and since I taught myself how to play from the get-go, I had to do it again. But then....

http://www.tennisforall.org/serve-SEZZ-place-E.jpg

this thing came to my attention. It was so easy to duplicate, its not as good, but it works. Good weight distribution, less miss hits, plenty of disguise it worked perfectly.

In my latest matches, I've had a gillion aces, especially slice up the ad-side, something i could never do before.

But while I still love Venus, Serenas serve is sooo much better.
I love ya V, but I had to do it.

http://sportsmed.starwave.com/media/ten/2002/0702/photo/r_venus_i.jpg

Thanks for reading :)

http://gw.marketingden.com/planets/images/fullsize/venus.jpg

SerenaSlam
Apr 1st, 2003, 12:01 AM
koo story :)

AjdeNate!
Apr 1st, 2003, 12:04 AM
She memorized you! :)
Sorry, I had to give ya that one!!

BTW, good story!

CJ07
Apr 1st, 2003, 12:05 AM
Just Thought I'd Share :)

I actually just got finishing practicing my serve, and as I was doing my normal drills, I'm noticing im staritng to play more and more like Serena, Venus needs to hurry up and get on TV!

Cariaoke
Apr 1st, 2003, 12:10 AM
wow great story as i'm learning to play. thanks for sharing. :D :wavey:

vs1
Apr 1st, 2003, 12:27 AM
Great story! Venus and Serena inspired me to work harder at tennis. I've been playing 2-3 times/week since I became one of their avid fans. It's wonderful. My game isn't anywhere nearly as good as theirs (no kidding), but when I play, I visualise what V or S would do, and I try to do it too. I am too aggressive on my returns and try to go for outright winners, like they do. When I can do it, it makes me feel SOOO good! But my serve sucks still. I'm trying to kick it more like Serena, but I have way too many DFs. I don't want to serve like Dementieva, so I'm working very hard on my serve! But I totally related to your story! I even bought a Wilson Hyper Hammer Pro 4.0, just like Vee. And I love it! It makes me play 100% better than my old racquet (a Dunlap). I'm considering demo-ing a Hyper Hammer 6.2, like Serena, but I am not sure if I'm ready to go there just yet! ;)

CJ07
Apr 1st, 2003, 12:35 AM
I REALLY want to get V's racket, but im too poor :p

oh well, once i get the cash im gettin it!

SerenasMelons
Apr 1st, 2003, 01:08 AM
:wavey: good story!

I have Venus's old racquet, the Wilson 4.3. Vee was honestly the reason I bought it (plus i liked the blue color).

Rtael
Apr 1st, 2003, 01:22 AM
vs1 =D

I got the Wilson Hyper Hammer 4.0 too!

1jackson2001
Apr 1st, 2003, 01:44 AM
cool story :)

I think Venus was the first pro player I saw play tennis..and I realized I liked watching tennis since then.

I have the Wilson Hyper Hammer 6.6 (I had no idea what Venus' racket was/is)...it was in the ideal price range for me and it looked pretty good. :);)

CanadianBoy21
Apr 1st, 2003, 02:05 AM
great story.
Whenever I'm on the court, I try to hit the swing volley like Venus, ;). When I hit it as a winner I thank Vee ;).
I try to hit the forehand like Serena and backhand like Venus.
I try to go backhand down the line like Vee doe, but I miss on a consistent basis ;).
Everybody tells me I hit the ball so hard, but it often goes out.
Ahh Venus, you are too much!...
:)

harloo
Apr 1st, 2003, 02:42 AM
LOL@the pictures. LOVED THE STORY!!!!! :D
I use to play alot but it's not as easy as it looks. I think I'm about a 2.0 which sucks. I still play occasionally.

Leena
Apr 1st, 2003, 03:33 AM
I have the Hyper Hammer 5.6. I didn't know Vee used that type of racket.

Vee's serve is a bad serve to copy. Nobody should do that.

I've never tried to play like Vee. I play my own game. Chip, come to net. Serve, come to net. Hit any kind of shot, come to net. I am my own person. I am me. Hear me roar.

LeonHart
Apr 1st, 2003, 03:37 AM
My serve is like Anna Kournikova's :o I really need to improve it!

BasicTennis
Apr 1st, 2003, 03:43 AM
I'm only impressed with Venus' movement and attitude on tennis court but her game doesn't impress me much.

vs1
Apr 1st, 2003, 04:00 AM
I REALLY want to get V's racket, but im too poor :p

oh well, once i get the cash im gettin it!

Hey mmcdonald, if you're in the market for a racquet, check out ebay. That's where I got mine! I was able to get it about 1/2 off the retail price. Also, local tennis shops sometimes sell their demo racquets and you can get a pretty good deal from those as well. A good racquet does make a huge difference in your game. Doesn't cut out the double-faults, but certainly can help your volleys and groundstrokes! :p

Midnite Surfer
Apr 1st, 2003, 05:19 AM
I have Venus's backhand down pat. Its the best in the business. I want Agassi's forehand and Sampras's serve.

TeeRexx
Apr 1st, 2003, 06:01 AM
Mcdonald - Good story and you have the right fave to follow in regards to intelligence, personalty and mental toughnes.
And yes, you are right to copy SERENA'S serving technique. :)

Crazy Canuck
Apr 1st, 2003, 06:17 AM
Thanks, that was cute :)

Crazy Canuck
Apr 1st, 2003, 06:38 AM
Indeed... that Reebok dress is one of my favourites on her

CJ07
Apr 1st, 2003, 12:19 PM
thanks all
is ebay good for rackets? are they usually trustworthy?