PDA

View Full Version : WILLIAMS domination may benefit Tier IV events

TeeRexx
Mar 31st, 2003, 05:48 PM
The domination of VENUS and SERENA WILLIAMS may have an interesting effect on the tour in the future that will benefit players, promoters and fans. Because the WILLIAMS and 2 or 3 other players may be commanding the outcome of most of the Grand Slams and Tier I and II events, the Tier IV tournaments may be injected with much higher ranked players than ever before.

For instance, the Sarasota classic has the following players entered Dokic (9), Myskina (11), Schnyder (13), Sugiyama (18), Dementieva and, of course, the Russian Rocket, Anna Kournikova. Many of the players mentioned were former top ten players or some may be future top ten players.

Given enough time we might even see a 4-7 ranked player in these events who may be coming back from an injury or is just trying to get a lot of tournament play before a higher tier tournament.

One more benefit of the outstanding play of the WILLIAMS that may help fans many others involved with the tour as well.

Dava
Mar 31st, 2003, 05:55 PM
Mmm I would have to see more evidence ie a lot more players at tier 4 tournaments to see this to be true. Another explaination for the high draw at Sarasota is the fact that these players have a lot of points to defend and they are cacking themselves.

King Lindsay
Mar 31st, 2003, 05:58 PM
Are Venus and serena also the reason we were able to put a man on the moon?

brickhousesupporter
Mar 31st, 2003, 06:08 PM
Are Venus and serena also the reason we were able to put a man on the moon?

Dont be ridiculous, they weren't even born yet. But had they been who knows. :)

brunof
Mar 31st, 2003, 09:11 PM
King Lindsay - To some it seems to be the case ;)

Hulet
Mar 31st, 2003, 09:21 PM
Pfft @ the people who use sarcasm to ridicule a legitimate theory....

Yes, I happen to agree that the domination of a certain players (I would add Kim here amongst these players) of the top tourneys of the tour might influence other players to try their lucks in other tourneys. I don't know if this is the case yet, or if it will ever be, but to discount the fact that such a calculation doesn't enter a mind of players is naive. In short, I am saying I agree with dava_russianrule :).

King Lindsay
Apr 1st, 2003, 06:10 AM
pffft @ the people who think this is a legitimate theory.

Sam L
Apr 1st, 2003, 06:18 AM
For instance, the Sarasota classic has the following players entered Dokic (9), Myskina (11), Schnyder (13), Sugiyama (18), Dementieva and, of course, the Russian Rocket, Anna Kournikova. Many of the players mentioned were former top ten players or some may be future top ten players.

Funny, I never realised there was a tier I or tier II event on right now :confused: If those same players choose to play in Porto instead of say Charleston next week, fine! But OOPS ALL except Sugiyama (who's resting next week anyway) ARE playing in Charleston :eek: Looks like another BS theory to me.

TeeRexx
Apr 1st, 2003, 06:47 AM
Sam - I guess we will see what we will see when the next Tier IV rolls around. :p

Feel free to bump up this thread and its bs theory at that time as well. :rolleyes:

moby
Apr 1st, 2003, 10:37 AM
maybe the other players just want some green clay practice before charleston rolls round?

i wouldn't read too much into this (as yet). after all its not like the rest of the top 10 are playing in it. dokic is the only one.

MarcusRock
Apr 1st, 2003, 02:39 PM
I don't normally bump crappy Tee Rexx threads like this one that belong on page 5 but I had a huge laugh at the post above this one. Check out the screen name and then the avatar .............. Now thank me for pointing this out.

Chance
Apr 1st, 2003, 03:06 PM
Marcus babe you're bad ;) lol

moby
Apr 1st, 2003, 03:12 PM
lol thanks for pointing that out

MarcusRock
Apr 1st, 2003, 03:14 PM
lol thanks for pointing that outHEY!!! Don't you go changing that avatar on me. I need to follow you around and laugh at each post you make, whether it's serious or not. Besides, it only works with the Hingis or Kournikova avatars.

moby
Apr 1st, 2003, 03:35 PM
i would love stalkers...
but if you insist, never mind then...

Sammm
Apr 1st, 2003, 03:49 PM
I think that's true. Remember Monica playing all those tier 3 & 4s at the end of 2001???

selesfan
Apr 1st, 2003, 03:59 PM
I don't normally bump crappy Tee Rexx threads like this one that belong on page 5 but I had a huge laugh at the post above this one. Check out the screen name and then the avatar .............. Now thank me for pointing this out.

LOL! I just noticed that. :)

Scorch
Apr 1st, 2003, 04:11 PM
I always thought that the top players went to the tournaments that gave the best guarantees. There is also pressure from their management groups (who run some of the tournaments) and the WTA (who must ensure a certain number of top players for each tournament). Then there is also the location of the tournament.

The ONLY reason Sarasota is so strong is because of:

when it is
where it is

The is not conspiracy theory!

Volcana
Apr 1st, 2003, 06:54 PM
There are only six Tier IV tounaments. Twice this year, it's the highest tier available. Sarasota and Porto. In the case of the other four, The Williams sisters usually don't play early in OZ, and I don't think many high ranked players are skipping Paris, Charleston or L.A. for a Tier IV.

Dec 30 Gold Coast III
Dec 30 Auckland IV

Feb 3 Paris II
Feb 3 Hyderadad IV

Mar 31 Sarasota IV
Mar 31 Casablanca V

Apr 7 Charleston I
Apr 7 Estoril IV

Jul 7 Porto IV
Jul 7 Palermo V

Aug 4 Los Angeles II
Aug 4 Helsinki IV

Also, the appearnace money issue is a factor. Two years ago, Venus (well her agent) contacted Aukland about playing there. But Anna K had already committed, and they didn't have the money to pay two players who's appearance fees were so high. So Venus played Gold Coast.

Sam L
Apr 2nd, 2003, 12:18 AM
Sam - I guess we will see what we will see when the next Tier IV rolls around. :p

Yeah that's next week in Estoril and I already told you that all the top players are playing in Charleston. Well #30 Katarina Srebotnik isn't playing in Charleston though. Shame on you Katarina for avoiding Serena :( Shame! :(

The Williams sisters usually don't play early in OZ, and I don't think many high ranked players are skipping Paris, Charleston or L.A. for a Tier IV.

Thank you for looking that up.

VeniVididVicious
Apr 2nd, 2003, 12:23 AM
Since when does Venus have anything to do with Serena's domination?

If anything, instead of Williams domination it is more like Clijsters/Serena domination, the thunderthighs duo.