PDA

View Full Version : #4 seed at RG

Volcana
Mar 31st, 2003, 01:04 PM
We've been watching Lindsay's inextorable rise in the rankings all 2003.
But now we've risen to the first really big gap in the rankings. Lindsay won't be higher than #5 for at least a month.
(Well, unless she wins AI or Charleston.)
But that #4 ranking is closer than it looks. Justine defends over a thousand points before RG. Lindsay only has 15 tournaments. And one of those is 1 point. So Lindsay gets to add three tournaments worth of points at the cost of ONE point. Also, Lindsay isn't helpless on clay. She's won Strasborg twice, Madrid and Amelia island. I don't see her winning anything this year, but semis aren't out of the question.

LD JH2
---- ----
2911 3643
221 2002-04-08
---- ----
2911 3422
0 0 2002-04-15
---- ----
2911 3422
59 2002-04-29
---- ----
2911 3363
433 2002-05-06
---- ----
2911 2930
301 2002-05-13
---- ----
2911 2629

Without getting too far into it, Jenn is defending 510 points pre-RG seedings, and Amelie defends 213.
Drop off those points, and we get

04 2911 = 2911 - 0 Lindsay
05 2629 = 3643 - 1014 Justine
06 2489 = 2524 - 35 Chanda
07 2476 = 2689 - 213 Amelie
08 2388 = 2898 - 510 Jenn

So Lindsay, not the strongest player on clay, has a lead, and a reasonably substantial one, in the race for the 4th seed at RG.

moby
Mar 31st, 2003, 02:08 PM
wow, it's going to be a tough 5 way fight for no. 4 (and a chance not to meet venus, serena or kim till the semis)

lindsay might have the advantage going into the clay season, but justine is probably going to repeat her amazing performance last year

chanda's on fire, amelie's always great on clay, and you can never count jenn out

so all things equal, i still look for justine to take the no. 4 seed (but its going to be close)

King Lindsay
Mar 31st, 2003, 02:23 PM
wow, it's going to be a tough 5 way fight for no. 4 (and a chance not to meet venus, serena or kim till the semis)

lindsay might have the advantage going into the clay season, but justine is probably going to repeat her amazing performance last year

chanda's on fire, amelie's always great on clay, and you can never count jenn out

so all things equal, i still look for justine to take the no. 4 seed (but its going to be close)

It's difficult to say what will happen for Justine this spring. Look what happened to Mauresmo last year after her big clay season in 2001. However, I do expect Justine to do pretty well. Maybe not win in berlin, final of Amelia and Roma well, but pretty well.

And really, who knows if Lindsay will even play a match on clay. It's not like she has in three years. ;)

gladysharon
Mar 31st, 2003, 03:02 PM
I really hope Justine plays well in the clay season...try her utmost best.

Volcana
Mar 31st, 2003, 03:18 PM
Venus, Serena, Justine, Amelie and Jenn have all have very good clay results in the last two years. That's a lot of players to divide up points. Add in Monica, Paola Suarez, Clarisa Fernandez, Conchi and Iva Majoli.

Each of the last two years, a player got 1000 points on clay BEFORE Roland Garros. UNless its Serena, I can't see that happening again.

Dava
Mar 31st, 2003, 05:36 PM
Lindsay has a good chance to improve her ranking for she has not played the clay season last year and therefore has no points to defend.

SerenaSlam
Mar 31st, 2003, 05:41 PM
but you know, its clear lindsay isn't really worried about her performance on the clay courts, untill RG. There she knows she can just rack in the points, also I think she is shooting for like semis at Wimbledon. That will i think give her enough points to cushion her for wimbledon. justine is number 4 right now, she has so many pts coming off in clay court warm ups, she could add some more pts during the French. But when wimbledon time comes, you never know w/ justine, she could go out early. That would rocket lindsay well i say about 500 pts ahead of her at number 4. Which would be good to see. I think linday does have a chance at the number 4 seed, but it really isn't to me that big of a deal to her. Seeing she can only add pts untill the us hardcourts start. I think she will be like number 4 after the french and for the rest of the year :)

joaco
Mar 31st, 2003, 05:51 PM
but you know, its clear lindsay isn't really worried about her performance on the clay courts, untill RG. There she knows she can just rack in the points, also I think she is shooting for like semis at Wimbledon. That will i think give her enough points to cushion her for wimbledon. justine is number 4 right now, she has so many pts coming off in clay court warm ups, she could add some more pts during the French. But when wimbledon time comes, you never know w/ justine, she could go out early. That would rocket lindsay well i say about 500 pts ahead of her at number 4. Which would be good to see. I think linday does have a chance at the number 4 seed, but it really isn't to me that big of a deal to her. Seeing she can only add pts untill the us hardcourts start. I think she will be like number 4 after the french and for the rest of the year :)

:) :bounce:
Complately true. Think she will play 1, maybe 2 clay tournaments. I believe she will do very well in both (if so) of them. I'm THRILLED to see Lindsay's performance in clay, weather it's good or not, I only hope she stays healthy, THAT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING

joaco