PDA

View Full Version : Venus has a bad forehand? a bad second serve?

tennisIlove09
Mar 31st, 2003, 08:15 AM
I have a copy of the 2002 Bank of West Classic final, Venus def. Clijsters 63 63

The commentators are Barry Tompkins and Mary Joe Fernandez.

During the match [keep in mind, Venus has lost the last TWO Slams now, French, Wimby to Serena], Barry says "Venus has improved her second serve so much, it's a weapon on it's own"

--Mary Joe doesn't disagree

Later in the match Mary Joe says "Her [Venus] forehand has improved so much in the last 12 months"

So, Venus' second serve and forehand are her weaknesses...yet, they are crediting her for having these shots?

BasicTennis
Mar 31st, 2003, 08:30 AM
Even Venus acknowledged that indeed these are her weaknesses.:rolleyes:

1jackson2001
Mar 31st, 2003, 08:43 AM
I guess she improved it and it was shown as strengths during that match. But obviously those strengths regressed..and are such big weaknesses now.

tennisjam
Mar 31st, 2003, 08:46 AM
These are HER weaknesses. But in general, those shots are not bad at all...

propi
Mar 31st, 2003, 09:19 AM
Her forehand is sometimes horrible, I remember her match against Rubin in Us open'02 and lots of unforceed errors came from there

Legends
Mar 31st, 2003, 10:01 AM
Venus is more of a mental player at the moment a lot of her mental reserves are dedicated to other activities.

Those shots work when Venus is mentally ready to practise and play.
when she is not they breakdown.

The fast first serve and the lethal backhand are more instinctive and she probably does not have to work on them as much but the forehand and second serve are the two she needs to practise more before, and control more during a tournament.

There is the other aspect of how much Venus practises (or even is motivated to practise)
You have Venus at antwerp in a different class to any other player on the tour then you have her at Nasdaq, a different story altogether.

When venus goes into a tournament, relatively unprepared, she tends to spend the first few round matches catching up on work that should/could have been done earlier. By the time she is in the later rounds of the tournament she has her shots more under control.

Although lot of people complain about this lack of preparedness, i reckon that this is the only way she is able to sustain her body and mind through the rigours of a big tournament.

So while it is alright to complain about Venus' lack of practise before tournaments(it is a 'free' world afterall, right?), it is worth remembering that it is unlikely she is able to play any other way.
This is why Venus is different from EVERY other player on the tour(including her sister). As such i am not expanding energy wishing she would change. Venus is my favourite player on the tour and i'll take the good with the 'bad'.

BTW does anyone know what a medial glide is?

Volcana
Mar 31st, 2003, 10:07 AM
They're weaknesses for VENUS. FOr most players, her forehand and 2nd serve would be a godsend.

sbmh
Mar 31st, 2003, 10:08 AM
:wavey: :wavey:
I think her backhand is her weakness.
She did good in her forehand. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

selesfan
Mar 31st, 2003, 11:26 AM
:wavey: :wavey:
I think her backhand is her weakness.
She did good in her forehand. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Venus has one of the best backhands in the game.

Infiniti2001
Mar 31st, 2003, 11:35 AM
What Legend said :worship: sbmh, you've got to watch some Venus tapes :p

WhatTheDeuce
Mar 31st, 2003, 11:37 AM
forehand goes on and off...when its on, its ON....when its off, its OFF...i think her secod serve is always below average, especially in pressure situations...

mboyle
Mar 31st, 2003, 11:45 AM
They're weaknesses for VENUS. FOr most players, her forehand and 2nd serve would be a godsend.

I disagree. For a player like me, sure they would be:o . But for your average professional, I think a 70-75 MPH second that kicks right into the opponent's strikezone, is not exactly desirable. I don't think her forehand is bad necessarily, but when things get tight, it starts to spray like nobody's business. So I think players would prefer a more reliable FH to venus'. I would take Capriati's anyday;) . As for her first serve, My gawd that thing wizzes like nothing else I have ever seen. True it isn't placed very well at all, but I still think most players would want it seeing as it is always near 110, let alone 100.:eek: Her BH? About the best in the game. Unorthodox, but so hard, flat, powerful, penetrating.......and unlike her other shots, placed very nicely.

CJ07
Mar 31st, 2003, 12:37 PM
Venus' second serve is fine
she just gets shaky and sloppy with it
it breaks down

she used to barely have any df's
her forehand is the second best in the game, but when she makes errors, they come off that wing

spencercarlos
Mar 31st, 2003, 02:07 PM
Venus second serve is sometimes short in the court and makes a good number of double faults especially on tight situations.

Venus forehand is not a weakness, in fact she can hit hard with it, but when she is pressured on that shot, her long swing makes her hit it late sometimes, and in comparison to her backhand is not as good. Venus backhand is lethal.

spencercarlos
Mar 31st, 2003, 02:14 PM
Venus' second serve is fine
she just gets shaky and sloppy with it
it breaks down

she used to barely have any df's
her forehand is the second best in the game, but when she makes errors, they come off that wing
I dont agree at all Venus forehand being the second best.
Serena, Capriati, Davenport ,Clijsters have a better forehand than Venus.
For sure when she has a relatively easy ball, boy she can generate lot of power but when she is being pressured on that side, with a big shot of course, she often hits it late (wide most of the times). In fact from the baseline Venus misses her forehand more often than her backhand.
For sure its tough to get to that position of being the attacker vs Venus, only Serena the one being consistent on it, because she has the serve and the speed to challenge Venus.