View Full Version : If Monica Wins the French Open, Will Everyone

BigTennisFan
Mar 31st, 2003, 06:35 AM
SHUT UP ABOUT HER RETIRING???? :fiery:

AjdeNate!
Mar 31st, 2003, 06:39 AM
No, actually I think that would make it worse. They would say:
1- She won't win it.
2- If she does win, that it's her 'swansong' and she'll retire.

She's damned if she does, and damned if she doesn't with a certain bunch of WTAWorld posters.

Gowza
Mar 31st, 2003, 06:41 AM
i don't see why she needs to win a grand slam for everyone to stop.

she'll retire when she wants to, she doesn't need anyone telling her when to retire. she has said many times that as soon as she can't compete at the top and she isn't having fun then she'll let things be. why can't people let her do her thing until that time comes?

Dawn Marie
Mar 31st, 2003, 06:42 AM
I don't think so. If anything I think it will add onto it. They'll say:"Monica won the French and will this be her last"? or some same ole same crap like it.

It is enevitable when tennis players get near 30 people always talk of retirement. They'll do it when Venus and Serena get older they will always do it.

Bottom line from here on out people are going to talk about Seles and retirement. It is annoying but it will not go away. It never does.

BasicTennis
Mar 31st, 2003, 07:03 AM
you can't blame others for saying this to Monica because for a great champion like her it's just devastating to see her not winning GS titles anymore.

Volcana
Mar 31st, 2003, 10:11 AM
No. It will increase the chorus. Especially since Steffi won RG, then promptly announce she was never coming back.

irma
Mar 31st, 2003, 10:18 AM
steffi already said in her own way that she would not return in Berlin

doloresc
Mar 31st, 2003, 11:38 AM
the only reason i think that the media and tennis fans are critical of seles is because she's seles, the great tennis champion. i realize that this will sound terribly insensitive but it must be said to illustrate my point, so please accept my apologies: if maleeva had been the stabbing victim, that day in hamburg, she would've received the same amount of sympathy but the expectations upon her return to the tour would be different because she wasn't the dominant player that seles was from '91-'93.

seles raised the bar during her reign as #1 and the expectations were high when she came back in '95. she was astounding in toronto, killing the competition, and the darling of the '95 us open. she won the 1996 australian open as predicted, coming back from 2-5 in the third against an inspired rubin. she played quite well the rest of the year but in late '96 and '97 her vulnerability (and poor fitness) was exposed by hingis' smart and exploitative play. the improvement of davenport, capriati and the williams sisters haven't helped seles' chances to win grand slam title #10. to her credit, she has beaten all of them and other rising contenders. the french open i think is her best chance and this year really should be her year. i hope she's inspired to win because it would be a remarkable (and inspirational) feat for her and the game of tennis, in general.

King Lindsay
Mar 31st, 2003, 11:41 AM
if Monica wins the French, everyone will run to their window to view the flying pigs.