PDA

View Full Version : Could Mirjana still challenge the top?

Jakeev
Mar 31st, 2003, 06:02 AM
Just read the article about Mirjana Lucic in another thread just now and it brought up a question I have in my head.

Say about the U.S.Open this year, Mirjana was as fit as she could be, her strokes picture perfect and lethal and her mental game as sharp as any top five player.

Could Mirjana give her opponents nightmares? Would she be feared on tour? Begin winning Grand Slam titles?

In my own opinion, I really don't know. I don't think it's too late for Lucic to have a good career, but I am wondering if she has let the world pass her by in her struggles.

If you reply, please give objective answers. I don't want to read how Mirjana would destroy Serena or how she is just another has been....

Gowza
Mar 31st, 2003, 06:16 AM
i haven't seen her since her wimbledon run but from what i have heard she is fit again and hits even harder than back then.

basically if she plays like she did back then but with a bit more power i think she can challenge the top girls. if she can keep the mentallity good then she'd be in with a chance.

i think playing the williams sisters is a big mental thing with everyone these days. they can't hold up in the tough times like they would against other players even if they've got the talent to. i'm sure lucic would be able to challenge players like hantuchova, dokic, henin, davenport, capriati but i'm not sure about the sisters. i think she has the game but it will take time and i think it would take longer until the us open. maybe in a couple of years.

spencercarlos
Mar 31st, 2003, 06:17 AM
In my opinion Lucic has been a wasted talent, she was the hardest hitter of the tour for 97-98, i saw her playing Novotna in 97 Usopen in an incredible display of power.

But power is not everything in tennis, i guess Mirjana has not being able to either keep concentration on her matches or is the kind of players that just goes for on everyshot a la Anna Kournikova.

She has not being able to upset top players either, basically since? 1999 Wimbledon?... if my memory does not fail me.

Its tough what you are asking because we have not seen that Mirjana Lucic "as fit as she could be, her strokes picture perfect and lethal and her mental game as sharp as any top five player" just yet.

If you tell me if Seles in top shape and playing her best could challenge the top i would say yes for sure. But not Lucic, just yet.

Dava
Mar 31st, 2003, 06:29 AM
Mirjana has a talent for definate, she just needs to utalise it better then she is doing. She lost to Jidkova today I think which is not ideal, but she will be back. I think she should enter qualifiying and challengers so that she can get back to the top, but also gain more confidence, rather then taking main draw WCs getting knocked out R1 and then feeling low becuase of it.

Gowza
Mar 31st, 2003, 06:31 AM
jidkova is one of those players that gets quite a few balls back. she isn't a coezter or a panova but she relies on getting the ball back rather than hitting winners. that is why lucic had some problems against her.

Steffica Greles
Mar 31st, 2003, 10:08 AM
I was asking this question three years ago. Frankly, it's a bit old now.

Mirjana's already answered.

WhatTheDeuce
Mar 31st, 2003, 11:33 AM
mirjana now? NO. mirjana at her best? YES.

thats all u need...

SM
Mar 31st, 2003, 02:05 PM
she definately belongs in the top 50. I dont think she'll be consistent enough to go much higher than that for quite a while..

i agree she can match players like Dokic, Daniela, Justine etc if her fitness is good, and shes feeling well but that wont come for a long time yet.

Volcana
Mar 31st, 2003, 02:07 PM
No. This is not a 3000 point player. This isn't even a 2000 point player. I'll be very surprised if she can earn 1000 points, which would make her top 30.

Meesh
Mar 31st, 2003, 02:17 PM
You should of seen her on Saturday! She played unbelievable tennis! She can hit the ball so hard. She was running to the net, running down balls her serve is very fast when it went in. Lots of second serves.
I was surprised to hear that she lost on Sunday. I hope she continues playing.

Jakeev
Mar 31st, 2003, 04:31 PM
Sounds like her patience and mental game still have a lot of improving to go because it does not sound like she lost anything in terms of her tennis strokes.

Xian
Mar 31st, 2003, 04:46 PM
little bit too early to say she is back cause she defeated Irvin. Marissa is a good player and Mirjana is a good player too. On this day Lucic was better but I doubt she will ever reach the top 100 again

King Lindsay
Mar 31st, 2003, 04:55 PM
If any player was "as fit as she could be, her strokes picture perfect and lethal and her mental game as sharp as any top five player," she would be in the top echelon of the game. For instance, if Adriana Gersi had her strokes "picture perfect," her fitness top-notch and a mind of steel she'd be at the top too. But she doesn't, and she isn't going to. Neither is Mirjana.

It has been almost four years since she did anything of note. that should give the best indication of where her career is going to go from here. i'm sorry, but when beating Marissa Irvin starts up a new round of hope and excitement for a player, you know things have gotten bad.

azinna
Mar 31st, 2003, 05:35 PM
Lucic challenging for a spot in the Top 10? Very unlikely. She may however develop into one of those dangerous floaters (Schett, Schultz, Schwartz, etc)

Jakeev
Mar 31st, 2003, 06:31 PM
King LIndsay I think we are talking about two different players. No disrespect to Gersi, but I don't recall ever reading how talented and big a star Adriana would ever be.

Even watching her play a few times, I never thought Gersi to have the same talent as Lucic.

Mirjana was the one player who should have been fighting and winning big titles. Not Gersi.

chiara_ridolfi
Mar 31st, 2003, 07:00 PM
I think one point that hasn't been mentioned yet is that dealing with everything she's been through could give her the kind of mental toughness other top-thirty players don't have...in much the same way as it did for Capriati.

And it's not really fair to judge her on the last four years, she has been through a lot.

King Lindsay
Mar 31st, 2003, 07:13 PM
Jakeev, you wildly missed my point. Go back and read it again, i think it'll make more sense.

Rollo
Mar 31st, 2003, 07:28 PM
I'll make a bet with you Volcana that Mirjana WILL be in the top 30 within the next year.

I might be wrong. The odds are against it of course. As long as there's talent though, there's hope. And on talent alone Lucic is a top 30 player.
Combine it with desire and all things are possible. Ask Jennifer Capriati:)

Lita's Ex
Mar 31st, 2003, 07:32 PM
Mirjana definitely has the weapons to challenge the top players. I'm not completely convinced she has the motivation and fitness to do so. I feel bad, at times, to see her promising career go unfulfilled but that's Mirjana's decision, not mine. I hope she can regroup and make a serious run for the top 20 in the next two years (it should take her that long to get fit and confident).

Jakeev
Mar 31st, 2003, 11:07 PM
I understood what you were saying King Lindsay baby.........but I still disagree with you.

You are talking about two different underachievers here. If both players were at the very best of their games, I still don't think Gersi would be that good of a player next to Lucic.

Maybe I could be wrong too. I have only seen Adriana play twice and I was never quite impressed with here game.

luv-ya
Apr 1st, 2003, 01:16 AM
Lucic's article from 99
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Already at the tender age of 15, Mirjana Lucic has labelled herself as a force to reckon with, not in the future, but now.

As the number one ranked junior in the world, Mirjana qualified for her first WTA Tour event in Croatia. She didn't expect much from herself which is why it was so surprising that she won the event! She earned two records with that win: the first WTA player to win the first event that she entered and she became the youngest non-American to win a tournament. Mirjana proved that she wasn't a fluke by reaching the finals of her next pro tournament in Strasbourg, France. Always a player to prove herself, Mirjana won another tournament, an ITF Futures event in France and reached the finals of another Futures event. After she played in her third event, Mirjana earned her ranking and a new record. With a ranking of 69, Lucic made the third highest rankings debut in womens tennis history.

Mirjana created a controversy when the U.S. Open began. She was granted a wildcard into the Open at the age of 15 which was against the WTA age eligability rules. Lucic went on to prove that she deserved her spot by losing only four games in her first two matches, setting up a match with Jana Novotna on stadium court at night. It was similar to Anna Kournikova's match with Barbra Paulus one year earlier, except with a different outcome. Novotna won in a tough three set match.

Lucic left the U.S. Open with a great experience, knowing that she can play with the best, and win.

King Lindsay
Apr 1st, 2003, 05:25 AM
No, see, I'm not saying that either. I'm not really talking about Adriana gersi. What I'm saying is if any player had her "strokes picture perfect, was as fit as could be, and had the mentality of a top five player" she would be "challenging for the top". My point is, I don't think this will ever happen for Mirjana.

of course, I know what you're getting at. You're wondering how good se could be if she maximized her potential, which I think is an unanswerable question. One, because we don't know if she still possesses the same skills she did five years ago, and two, because she has shown no inclination in the way of fulfilling that potential.

does that make more sense? I'm kinda tired now, and uhhhh, I should just go to bed. I don't know what my point is anymore. ;)

Jakeev
Apr 1st, 2003, 07:35 AM
Yes King baby i kapish.......niters :kiss: