PDA

View Full Version : Dokic has 30 tournaments

Volcana
Mar 31st, 2003, 05:06 AM
The only other player inthe top fifty who plays as much as Dokic is Panova
Only six players inthe whooe top hundred play as much.
They are seven players who play less thanhalf that much, who are all inthe top sixty.

tr rk
-- --
13 Serena Williams 01
13 Venus Williams 02
15 Lindsay Davenport 05
12 Monica Seles 12
15 Myriam Casanova 46
15 Dinara Safina 58
13 Lina Krasnoroutskaya 59

30 Jelena Dokic 10
30 Martina Muller 88
31 Tatiana Panova 28
31 Sarah Taylor 68
31 Angelika Roesch 80
31 Tatiana Poutchek 96

Messenger
Mar 31st, 2003, 05:32 AM
If we include the top 50 men as well, I'm think they'd still be on top! Both Panova and Dokic are crazy, they're getting far into these tournaments and playing several matches each time. But then again, players like Roesche are probably qualifying as well, 31 is very high.

spencercarlos
Mar 31st, 2003, 06:09 AM
Dokic you think of looking for a good coach or someone who puts her in the right way.

Her carreer won´t change once she starts playing the Australian Open again and play less number of events.

Dava
Mar 31st, 2003, 06:38 AM
Dont forget Anna Pistolesi who played nearly every week as well last year!

But Jelena does need to cut down, but if she can manage then she can manage, I just think she should miss out all tier 3's except Birmingham so I can go see you Jelena.

vutt
Mar 31st, 2003, 09:03 AM
Btw. Volcana did you knew that before NASDAQ100 she actually played less matches than any other player from top 20 !!!.

Even if she promised to cut down her schedule this year its different situation now. Obviously transition period has been more painful than she expected. She needs real matchplay now to test new things in her gameplay out.

And last but not least she is used to that ;) So I'm not worried.

mn73
Mar 31st, 2003, 09:35 AM
The thing about Dokic is that she plays doubles in each event as well !?! CRAZY! Plus she misses the Australian season so she crams those 30 events into February-November!!!

vaiva
Mar 31st, 2003, 09:51 AM
I see nothing exceptional here. The ladies who play so many tournaments are way too inconsistent as they can lose their 1st round match one week and reach the semis the next week. They have to compensate for these early losses somehow ;)

Yes, it's a bad pattern. Quantity over quality. But if this scheme works for them, then why not? ;)

Volcana
Mar 31st, 2003, 10:10 AM
vutt - No I didn't know that. But she loses early so much, its no shock. I think she's so overplayed, she doesn't even realize how much her performance has deteriorated. Sure. Right. Like I can read her mind.

Rtael
Mar 31st, 2003, 11:35 AM
Maybe she just LIKES to play a lot?

I know that must be hard to imagine.

vutt
Mar 31st, 2003, 12:08 PM
vutt - No I didn't know that. But she loses early so much, its no shock. I think she's so overplayed, she doesn't even realize how much her performance has deteriorated...

Well last year I was also sure that overplaying was main reason why she ended it poorly. But again from top 20 she had longest brake between seasons. However it didn’t make any impact at all. :( She continued that loosing streak. I think main reason why she still struggling are not related to that. What it is - I don't know. Only time will tell...

Hendouble
Mar 31st, 2003, 12:13 PM
The quantity of tennis she plays seems to be me to be reflected in the style of tennis she plays - senseless bashing away at the ball, shot after shot, point after point, rally after rally, automaton-like without any thought as to varying her game, moving to the net or trying a bit of tactical nounce for a change. It really is a most unattractive style of play, complemented perfectly by that bizarre wooshing noise she makes when she hits the ball. I can tell you that 30 tournaments is more than nearly all the top men played last year by comparison.

King Aaron
Mar 31st, 2003, 01:42 PM
I like the wooshing noice. ;)

I seriously wanted her to skip Sarasota. But she's decided that defending a Tier IV is better than tuning your game and preparing for the clay season. I do think she's already overplyed this season making that useless trip to Scottsdale.

luv-ya
Mar 31st, 2003, 03:16 PM
hey, stop trashing her,
people are praising Anna P for
reaching TOP 20 by overplaying,
cant u give the former TOP 5,
2X consecutive Wimbledon SF-list
a break...... :rolleyes:
she is only 19 u know....

Hendouble
Mar 31st, 2003, 03:19 PM
If she achieves anything worthwhile in her career from now on, let me know; I'm not holding my breath.