PDA

View Full Version : Why Serena has been winning matches comfortably this year.

CanadianBoy21
Mar 31st, 2003, 05:37 AM
except three matches at AO and the one in Nasdaq final(except last set) Serena has been able to win matches rather easily...
I think I know why, her scheduling is amazing. She plays AO when all players are fresh, she wins, barely, but she does win...then she goes to Open Gaz de France and wins because she was just simply better, but at Nasdaq we can see that there was no real challenge because players were getting tired...Kim looked slow, Jennifer probably looked slow last set... Although i still believe Serena would have won anyways this tournament, it might have been lots more competitive if Kim had been fresh and Jennifer had been fresh too. I don't understand why Kim for example plays so many tournies when there is no Williamses, when she knows she will run into them when they do play and she will be too burnt out. Maybe she really needs the $, ;), although i doubt it, having lleyti as a future hub she don't need extra. the reason i can see is that ranking points really matter to her.
but wouldn't be making more sense that players would want to play Serena and Venus when they are fit????????

They are instead just making it easier for Serena :eek:

SerenaSlam
Mar 31st, 2003, 06:12 AM
that is why, if I were in the shoes of Kim Clijsters, I wouldn't be playing the cards like she is. I think she realizes and knows that this ranking system is fucked up. Looking at the "numbers" there is a chance for her to become number 2. But when she gets there, will she have that feeling of the "actual number 2" Clearly she won't, its clear venus is head/shoulders over everyone on the tour except for Serena when everyone is on their games. That is why If i were kim clijsters, id be playing the tour just like the sisters. Sure play a couple more tournies, but at the same time, you need to be working/hard, practicing on beating the top 2, to get the officail "top 2 status" Right now, I think the rest of the year Kim is always going to be considered to 3 status. Venus/Serena clearly can't get worse, they can only get better. Same thing for kim. Right now, maybe Kim is working on a "cushion number 3". I think she should be cutting back right now, seeing she played so many tournies at the end of the year. I think she may end up a burn out. She already said she is tired, playing so many weeks. She is taking about a month off, which is a much needed rest. But Look at Serena, she has balanced her schdedle very well. She rarely plays back to back (or does she or venus even do this) So far they haven't. They play a tournie, have a week of, pratice and rest, and they are always Fresh for the next tournie. This to me is good, b/c w/ tennis and the weather conditions, you don't know how many matches you will be playing in 1 day, how backed up it will be. But again, i don't think/know if kim will let up w/ the number of tournies she is going to play. I say this b/c she is taking a month off, and then is going to play liek 3 straight weeks i believe, and then head into the French. She may be tired by then. Who Knows. But yes, I think Serena's scheduling has lead her to winning a majority of her matches. I think last year at the Season ender, when she was very fatiuged, she realized she can play weeks at a time, but also she needs to space out more. Venus also does well, but she scares me, sometimes she has too much time off. But hey, im not venus, venus is not you all, so its her decision.

1jackson2001
Mar 31st, 2003, 10:29 AM
I'd actually like to see Serena and Venus play a bit more. It would give them more cushion (especially Venus) to their top two positions....but most of all, match practice (again, especially for Venus).

doloresc
Mar 31st, 2003, 12:48 PM
it's hard to say what is the ideal amount of tournaments to play but hingis' recent retirement is a testament to playing too much. the problem was that because hingis is so talented, she was always making it far in tournaments, in both singles and doubles. she was doing this all throughout the long tennis season for 8 years, and although she stayed injury-free through most of it, evidentally all those matches took their toll. clijsters is in the same boat. i know she has good intentions for playing so much but maybe she should cut back on the doubles. i know that's not fair to sugiyama but lets' face it: for clijsters, singles is more important than doubles.

i think serena should play a little more but if it aint broke...

Volcana
Mar 31st, 2003, 01:17 PM
Kim didn't lose at OZ because of fatigue. Or Antwerp.

Kim doesn't have multiple seven and eight figure endorsement deals.

Kim gets six figure appearance fees.

Kim is traveling the world on someone else's dime, has probably f*cked herself senseless in a dozen countries, and just won the WTA Tour Championships.

Kim probably looks over the last twelve months and concludes she advanced more than anyone except Serena.

I don't think a scheduling change is needful, in this case.

Justine could cut back a bit. Maybe just bag Miami and IW. (Watch Chas P cow out.)

CanadianBoy21
Mar 31st, 2003, 01:40 PM
what do u mean a schedule change is not needed????? :confused:
she can play MUCH MUCH longer if she cuts back tournies and not play a schedule like hingis...

It's not about how much she can achieve in a short span, but how much in her career, ...

Filip!
Mar 31st, 2003, 02:42 PM
It's not about how much she can achieve in a short span, but how much in her career, ...

But it 's well known that Kim will not play very long, in 2 or 3 years, she will probably stop her career...