PDA

View Full Version : Mens fitness vs. Womens fitness

CB
Mar 30th, 2003, 09:55 PM
I dont wanna start a confusion here, let's be very sensitive on answers.

Why, in men's tennis, like, the Top 200 is 100% healthy and muscular? All men from this ATP range and completely muscular and have perfect physical condition and bodies.
While the girls, on the other hand, 60% (at least) are overweight or overthin.

Think about it... in the men's side... all the guys that you know.. is there any fat guy? Most of them have their six-pack tummies.

Just for instance, take a look at the male Top 30:

1 Hewitt, Lleyton AUS
2 Agassi, Andre USA
3 Ferrero, Juan Carlos ESP
4 Federer, Roger SUI
5 Moya, Carlos ESP
6 Roddick, Andy USA
7 Safin, Marat RUS
8 Novak, Jiri CZE
9 Costa, Albert ESP
10 Nalbandian, David ARG
11 Grosjean, Sebastien FRA
12 Schuettler, Rainer GER
13 Srichaphan, Paradorn THA
14 Schalken, Sjeng NED
15 Kuerten, Gustavo BRA
16 Corretja, Alex ESP
17 Canas, Guillermo ARG
18 Haas, Tommy GER
19 Gaudio, Gaston ARG
20 Henman, Tim GBR
21 El Aynaoui, Younes MAR
22 Gonzalez, Fernando CHI
23 Sampras, Pete USA
24 Blake, James USA
25 Robredo, Tommy ESP
26 Youzhny, Mikhail RUS
27 Kafelnikov, Yevgeny RUS
28 Malisse, Xavier BEL
29 Coria, Guillermo ARG
30 Pavel, Andrei ROM

ALL of them except perhaps Henman (too skinny?) have perfect bodies for an athlete.
Now let's look at the girls:
1 (1) WILLIAMS SERENA USA - perfect, very muscular
2 (2) WILLIAMS VENUS USA - thin, but muscular and fast
3 (3) CLIJSTERS KIM BEL - needs to work on cruches. bad tummy
4 (4) HENIN-HARDENNE JUSTINE BEL - good
5 (6) CAPRIATI JENNIFER USA - awful tummy.
6 (7) DAVENPORT LINDSAY USA - has improved a lot, good.
7 (8) MAURESMO AMELIE FRA - good.
8 (5) HANTUCHOVA DANIELA SVK - overthin. mental problem?
9 (9) DOKIC JELENA YUG - good
10 (12) RUBIN CHANDA USA - good
11 (11) MYSKINA ANASTASIA RUS - thin but fast. good
12 (10) SELES MONICA USA - bad tummy, overweight. cellullitis.
13 (13) SCHNYDER PATTY SUI - good
14 (14) MALEEVA MAGDALENA BUL - good
15 (15) DANIILIDOU ELENI GRE - large body structure but god. perhaps some tummy work
16 (17) BOVINA ELENA RUS - good
17 (19) COETZER AMANDA RSA - excellent. one of the best. so small but a very hard work on her body. 0% fat.
18 (18) SUGIYAMA AI JPN - good
19 (20) DEMENTIEVA ELENA RUS - good. great legs :drool:
20 (16) PISTOLESI ANNA ISR - good
21 (21) FARINA ELIA SILVIA ITA - good
22 (24) SHAUGHNESSY MEGHANN USA - excellent. very dedicated, excellent tummy, arms and legs. 100%
23 (22) DECHY NATHALIE FRA - good
24 (26) PANOVA TATIANA RUS - see Coetzer
25 (23) RAYMOND LISA USA - good
26 (30) MARTINEZ CONCHITA ESP - overweight. tummy.
27 (25) STEVENSON ALEXANDRA USA - really overweight. tummy, cellullitis
28 (27) FERNANDEZ CLARISA ARG - a bit too thin ;)
29 (28) SUAREZ PAOLA ARG - good
30 (29) LIKHOVTSEVA ELENA RUS - good

Out of 30, we've got 8 that NEED urgent improvement. 15 are good. That means only 5have PERFECT athlete condition (Serena, Venus, Meghann, Tatiana and Coetzer) I think it's a shame for the girls. I don't know why this happens to women.. is that because of the sexual difference (hormones) that they develop specific fat and have more difficulties to have a good body? Or lack of motivation, dedication? I just see the guys with a more "sporty" body, you know.
Not curiosly, the 5"4' (?) Coetzer and Panova are very athletic and on a great shape. They really look motivated and hard workers. Because they know that they need to be in shape to beat the biggies.

Any thoughts on this? Why men are more athletic than women?

Volcana
Mar 30th, 2003, 10:30 PM
Women can get away with being less fit, because most of the tour is less fit.

But body type figures into it as well. Justine Henin and Amanda Coetzer are both very fit, but both are quite slender as well. Anastasia Myskina as well. Venus too. Serena will never be called slender.

Dani on the other hand, weighs so little she runs out of gas late matches. That's not fit. Not for a world class athlete anyway.

We all know who's fat inthe top fifteen, so I ain't goin' there.

Crazy Canuck
Mar 30th, 2003, 11:20 PM
Nobody in the top 15 is fat. At least not by normal standards.

Anyhow, just to repeat what has already been said - woman have more body fat then men. Sure there are women who could be in better shape who are elite players, but you can't expect the female athletes to be ripped and have six packs like the men do. It's far harder for women to be built like that, unless it's natural.

Crazy Canuck
Mar 30th, 2003, 11:22 PM
I also don't believe that you can compare a Myskina body to a Capriati body and set the same standard look for what is "fit" or not.

Tennis Fool
Mar 30th, 2003, 11:30 PM
The women have the best fitness level than they've ever had--but that doesn't mean they couldn't improve.

I wonder if female athletes fear "bulking up" their muscles as some in the regular population do? (I know Kounikova made a statement about hating her muscles. Is this a typical sentiment?)

Crazy Canuck
Mar 30th, 2003, 11:38 PM
The women have the best fitness level than they've ever had--but that doesn't mean they couldn't improve.

I wonder if female athletes fear "bulking up" their muscles as some in the regular population do? (I know Kounikova made a statement about hating her muscles. Is this a typical sentiment?)
I seem to recall Irma saying that Steffi Graf said the same thing back in her day, but I don't have the quote.

CJ07
Mar 30th, 2003, 11:42 PM
I think its a combonation of cultural and biological reasons
Male athletes are expected to have six packs and be 100% fit. Its not lady like to be so.

So you have to find a happy medium

CB
Mar 31st, 2003, 01:26 AM
culturally female high performance athletes are not meant to have cellullitis and a lot of fat on their tummies

WtaTour4Ever
Mar 31st, 2003, 01:31 AM
CB you make a very good point. I've often wondered the same myself....you would think all of the top 10 would be in pristine (sp) shape

Darkheart
Mar 31st, 2003, 03:07 AM
The women can get away with it. If you can win tournaments the way you are then there isn't a big need to get a more athletic body.

The men cannot get away with it. If you're chubby, you're not going to win matches.

Also, genetically, men can develop muscles faster and easier than women.

Tennis Fool
Mar 31st, 2003, 03:12 AM
The women can get away with it.
I disagree. No one's going to win against Serena if they don't get into the gym...

Chris Evert beat up on Martina until Martina got into the gym and reversed the rivalry...

Volcana
Mar 31st, 2003, 03:22 AM
If nobody in the top fifteen is fat by normal standards, I gotta get a new doctor. The one I have has these wierd abnormal standards by which she thinks most AMercian women are overweight.

Crazy Canuck
Mar 31st, 2003, 03:27 AM
Uh huh. Alright, fine. Most American women in the top fifteen are fucking whales.

Whatever was I thinking.

Darkheart
Mar 31st, 2003, 03:32 AM
I disagree. No one's going to win against Serena if they don't get into the gym...
Point taken.

I meant the players who are not going after majors or big tournaments, players who are satisfied with winning lesser tournaments and are happy making a pretty good living doing what they love. These players don't really need to develop a tip-top body. They are doing fine the way they are.

WtaTour4Ever
Mar 31st, 2003, 04:51 AM
By average standards I wouldnt call any of the women in the top 10-20 FAT, however, you don't see that wide a range in swimming, gymnastics, figure skating, etc. Maybe softball or volleyball...but I dont watch so I don't really know. But as someone stated, they can/do get away with it so I guess it doesn't matter.

BigTennisFan
Mar 31st, 2003, 06:05 AM
8 (5) HANTUCHOVA DANIELA SVK - overthin. mental problem? :confused:

What on earth is this about? Can you say Marat Safin and Goran Ivanisovich just to name a couple of males with "mental problems"?

CB
Mar 31st, 2003, 09:29 PM
bump

CB
Mar 31st, 2003, 09:29 PM
i mean anorexia... thats more of a mental disease aint it?

ys
Mar 31st, 2003, 09:39 PM
i mean anorexia... thats more of a mental disease aint it?

LOL.. I knew this thread will end up discussing this.. Right, Becca?

Crazy Canuck
Mar 31st, 2003, 11:54 PM
Ys, I'm not going to bother atm, either than to pay tribute to TC by saying that "it's not a mental problem it's a psychological problem".

By average standards I wouldnt call any of the women in the top 10-20 FAT, however, you don't see that wide a range in swimming, gymnastics, figure skating, etc.

There is a reason that you don't see very many tall, big boned gymnasts and figure skaters who are carrying an extra 10 pounds or so. These athletes have to be aerodynamic or they would not be able to perform what they do at the level that they do... What they are required to do is totally different from what a tennis player does. Totally different sports favour different body types. How many Serena-figured gymnasts are there?

Maybe softball or volleyball...but I dont watch so I don't really know. But as someone stated, they can/do get away with it so I guess it doesn't matter.

I don't watch softball, but I have seem some pictures of female softball players... the 5 foot 100 pound look is less common (according to my highly unscientific obervations) among this group of athletes, which would make sense when you consider what it is that they are doing.

Crazy Canuck
Mar 31st, 2003, 11:57 PM
Another thing about the gymnast-tennis player comparison.

Your average world class gymnast is what, 16? Not only are these girls 16, but vigorous training for years and years can delay the onset of puberty.

You can not compare these girls to the Jennifer Capriati's, Monica Seles', and Serena Williams' of the world...

CJ07
Apr 1st, 2003, 12:01 AM
Serena as a gymnast!

I'd love to see that

Crazy Canuck
Apr 1st, 2003, 12:02 AM
Heh... I had to quit gymnastics when I was 12 and hit puberty ;) I don't even want to imagine how Serena would fare :o

Seenus
Apr 1st, 2003, 12:13 AM
The owner of a six pack is not neccessarily fit. I don't believe that all or even most of the top 30 men are fit. Part of the Agassi winning strategy is to expose the lack of fitness among the men.

Rollo
Apr 1st, 2003, 12:44 AM
Something no one has mentioned is that in the slams the men have to play 3 of 5 sets. And lets be honest-it's the slams that count. It's an extra incentive for the men.

WtaTour4Ever
Apr 1st, 2003, 02:31 AM
Good points Becca,

I was rethinking the gymnast comparison myself b/c they actually do encourage waifish type bodies etc.

I couldn't think of any other major female sports but duhhh the WNBA alot of those women are big boned and tall........I don't watch so I couldn't say for sure, but I highly doubt you have plump stomachs there.

Who knows....like I said before, it hasn't stopped any of them, but I do myself find it odd only b/c their bodies are just that....average....and you/I would think that they would be above average....but thats just me.

tennischick
Apr 1st, 2003, 02:40 AM
Ys, I'm not going to bother atm, either than to pay tribute to TC by saying that "it's not a mental problem it's a psychological problem"...
it's not a question of "paying tribute" to me. either you know what the heck you are talking about or you just shut to frick up. it's really a simple choice. paying tribute to me doesn't factor in at all.

Crazy Canuck
Apr 1st, 2003, 04:09 AM
it's not a question of "paying tribute" to me. either you know what the heck you are talking about or you just shut to frick up. it's really a simple choice. paying tribute to me doesn't factor in at all.
I have no idea what you are being so defensive about. I made refence to a previous conversation where you had made the correction. I suppose that I could have acted like a know it all, like I would NEVER have made a similar error. Would that have been better?

For some reason you seem to go out of your way to absolutely pounce on every little thing that I say... you've even done it when I agreed with you (as I indirectly did here, by making reference to a previous conversation).

Wether or not you "like" me, is not of interest. But these random attacks are totally unnecessary, and completely hypocritical of you.

possie
Apr 1st, 2003, 04:37 AM
Ok....I'm going to add my two cents.....

The bottom line in this issue is biological. The male hormone testosterone promotes the formation of muscle. The female hormone estrogen promotes the formation of fat and influences its distribution (which gives us our shape!), and it has a stronger effect of closing the growth plates in long bones than testosterone.

In plain English....women are shorter and have a higher fat:muscle ratio than men.....AND...there's nothing we can do about it.

It's easy for male athletes to have the figure of a male athlete. You would find that in all sports, females would have a higher fat percentage than their male counterparts.

As pointed out, tennis is a sport where women can "get away with it" (for lack of a better term).

tennischick
Apr 1st, 2003, 11:41 AM
For some reason you seem to go out of your way to absolutely pounce on every little thing that I say... you've even done it when I agreed with you (as I indirectly did here, by making reference to a previous conversation)...
this is so absolutely untrue that i won't even bother to challenge you on it. you're completely delusional if you really believe this.

here's my point -- have your discussion but leave me out of it. fair enuf? surely you can find a way to discuss any topic without mentioning me so that i will have no need to respond to you?

faboozadoo15
Apr 2nd, 2003, 02:28 AM
i rilly dont know what all of you are talking about... i watch a lot of atp stuff, and you see GUTS sometimes.... right there, a GUT in front of my eyes lol... some girls need to carry a little weight to get momentum going (monica seles, who is perfectly fit in person, just not when you watch her playing juju or dani...). koubek had one of the biggest tennis guts i have ever seen, mark philippousis (hey, i did my best with the sp) twice the size he used to be and is carrying around extra fat.