PDA

View Full Version : Do you really believe Serena...

JustinSteffi
Mar 30th, 2003, 09:48 PM
I find it hard to believe that Serena hasn't practiced or trained for nearly a month now. What do you all think? Do you think it is just a mental tactic to intimidate the other players that say "I work out 5 hours a day, 6 days a week?"

While I believe that Serena is clearly a superior athlete to pretty much everyone on the WTA, don't you still have to maintain a regular workout/practice schedule?

JJH

kiwifan
Mar 30th, 2003, 10:01 PM
I find it hard to believe that Serena hasn't practiced or trained for nearly a month now. What do you all think? Do you think it is just a mental tactic to intimidate the other players that say "I work out 5 hours a day, 6 days a week?"

While I believe that Serena is clearly a superior athlete to pretty much everyone on the WTA, don't you still have to maintain a regular workout/practice schedule?

JJH
:cool:

When I played competitive tennis, hitting regularly with friends or playing a few sets wasn't considered praciticing it was just having fun and working on trick shots, etc.

Practice is hit 100 forehands down the line then do it cross court then do the backhand, next first serve (the flat power shot) second serve (the spin power shot), etc. For a pro you might add wieght training and sprints, etc.

I could take a month off training and still play great tennis (usually my serve was even better because my arm wasn't as tired and my swing was looser, less mechanical and predictable.

As usual, critics will hang on Serena's every word just to keep that stick up their asses.

See for example everyone offended by the French accent but not upset by "Bombs Over Bagdad".

"Lighten Up Francis" - Stripes

WtaTour4Ever
Mar 30th, 2003, 10:06 PM
Well thats easily explainable ...Capriat was supporting the war and troops ....Serena wasn't...... too bad she doesn't have a cd they could burn like the Dixie Chicks.

Its kinda ironic we are so called fighting for Iraqi Freedom but yet free speech barely exist in this country when its in regards to Dubya Bush .......

selesfan
Mar 30th, 2003, 10:07 PM
I'm not sure, didn't Mary Joe say that a neighbor sees Serena out running every morning at 5:00 a.m.? Maybe she just doesn't want to divulge her fitness secrets. ;)

tennischick
Mar 30th, 2003, 10:13 PM
very good and fair question. you think she may be like those kids in high school that say that they never study yet they spank everyone in tests?

well i honestly think that she may have been speaking the truth. perhaps not literally -- and i think it's clear by now that Serena does not mean for her words to be taken LITERALLY. for example she said (after winning the AO) that she would like to not lose any matches this year. once she realised that the media had taken her literally at her word, she amended the statement and has refused to be drawn in to a defence of her original statement.

in the same way, i think that it is probably generally (not literally) true that she has not been gymming and practicing as much as she should be. there hasn't been a week in which we did not see her involved in some non-tennis/media activity. this is time away from the court and from the gym

the same goes for Venus IMO. she is still slender but she has definitely put on some size IMO. she is no longer as rake-thin as she used to be. i suspect that her decorating business is also keeping her occupied.

so i choose to believe Serena. :cool:

Rocketta
Mar 30th, 2003, 10:27 PM
wow, I have to reread her interview cause I thought she said she hadn't trained like she should have and didn't do the things this week at Miami like she should have, ie eat the wrong things. I didn't think she said "she never trained" for Miami. Like I said I need to go reread her interview. :confused:

Chris_Martin's_woman
Mar 30th, 2003, 10:58 PM
She clearly could just have the natural talent and not have to work for her dominance......or she could just say she doesn't practice to make it look like she has just got it all when she actually has to practice and condition.......who nows!:rolleyes:

1jackson2001
Mar 31st, 2003, 01:52 AM
I think she said she didn't work out for a month..like go to the gym and lift weights and stuff. She meant working on her fitness. But of course she practices her tennis on court..hitting with her hitting partners and doing tennis-related stuff.

HellanSpicen
Mar 31st, 2003, 02:08 AM
Both sisters are just that talented. venus didn't play for a long time. A month. And still she made it too the Australian Finals. If Venus and Serena can play 13 tournments and still be one and two. Kim Clisters can
play 22 and still be number 3. I think the number of tournments these girls play is a direct insult to the other players. It's a damn shame they can play so little and still be at the top. Usually, if a player doesn't play as much thier off, but venus didn't play for a month and still made it to the Australin finals. Seriously, if the other players aren't challenging them, nothing is going to make them play more or even sometimes practice more when they just can come out and when games at thier own will. Oh well.

Rollo
Mar 31st, 2003, 02:22 AM
I think it's all relative. When Serena says that she isn't practicing she's probably telling the truth as she sees it. Her "vacation" or non-training may be more than a lot of girls put in most weeks. Venus said much the same thing before the 2001 US Open. And lets not forget Steffi Graf was famous for saying she had no practice before winning gobs of slams in the mid to late 90s.

It could be a bit a pysch-intimidation job too. Helen Wills was known for doing this. If I had to guess (and it's only a guess) I'd say Helen, Steffi, and Venus would be more likely to deliberately underplay the time and effort they put into their tennis.

BasicTennis
Mar 31st, 2003, 03:00 AM
I believed every word of Serena simply because she's not yet playing her best tennis like she did in 2002 and I guess this is the scary part for her rivals; they can't even beat a below standard performance of Serena.:worship: