PDA

View Full Version : Chanda says no to joining US fed cup team

prophet2
Mar 30th, 2003, 09:06 PM
Rubin says no

Chanda Rubin told U.S. Fed Cup captain Billie Jean King she wasn't interested in joining the four-woman team in Boston April 26-27 against the Czech Republic.

If Rubin had accepted, she probably would not have played. Serena and Venus Williams are the probable singles and doubles players.

King was asked if it troubled her that a top woman wouldn't play if she couldn't start. "No, because it depends on the person and where they are in their career," King said. "Also how much have they played up to this point. I am in constant communication with these players all year long. It's not like I just start talking to them because Fed Cup is coming up."

Shaughnessy is the third team member and Alexandra Stevenson, who has a 6-9 record this year, is the fourth. Stevenson went out in the second round after receiving a first-round bye, losing to qualifier Maria Antonia Sanchez Lorenzo.

Ally Baker, the wild card who lost love and love in the first round at Nasdaq, was picked as a hitting partner along with Jamea Jackson of Sarasota. Baker lives in Key Biscayne.

CB
Mar 30th, 2003, 09:12 PM
I support Chanda.

She should be taking a rest, instead of just stay practicing with the 'real' Fed Cup players. That's good for the youngsters, to get experience. At this career stage, Chanda doesn't need that anymore.

I also support her for not playing representing a pro-War country. If Venus and Serena quit because of the way, I'd be real glad.