PDA

View Full Version : Pacific Life & Indian Wells Get New Dates - Equal Prize Money Coming

AjdeNate!
Mar 30th, 2003, 07:57 PM
KEY BISCAYNE, Fla. (AP) -- The Nasdaq-100 Open and Pacific Life Open will be held a week later in 2004 and 2005 to improve television exposure.

Next year's Nasdaq will be held March 24-April 4. Because of the change, CBS will televise five hours of the tournament the final weekend, compared with four this year, and the starting time of the finals will be later than this year's 11 a.m. EST start, Nasdaq chairman Butch Buchholz said Sunday.

The Pacific Life Open in Indian Wells, Calif., which this year began March 5, will move to mid-March. The calendar changes may last through 2007, Buchholz said.

He also said Nasdaq will have equal prize money for men and women by 2005. This year the men received $3.25 million, with $500,000 for champion Andre Agassi, and the women received $2.96 million, with $393,000 for champion Serena Williams.

selesfan87
Mar 30th, 2003, 08:01 PM
Good news about the prize money. I think that tournaments should pay equal prize money to both sexes when its a best of three sets tournament for both sexes. In the slams however, it is fair that the men get more than the women, they play about 30% more than them.

AjdeNate!
Mar 30th, 2003, 08:21 PM
11am is a bit early for a final.

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Mar 30th, 2003, 10:57 PM
Good news about the prize money. I think that tournaments should pay equal prize money to both sexes when its a best of three sets tournament for both sexes. In the slams however, it is fair that the men get more than the women, they play about 30% more than them.
Yes, and I sit on my ass at a computer all day and do nothing and make good $$, but the janitor that empties my trash who works much harder than I do, makes much less than me.

It's all about supply and demand. The womens tour, though not necessarily as "long" as a mens match, deserves equal prize money.

If we are going to go on that route, then why don't we clock the matches and pay by the hour, like real jobs? ;)

WtaTour4Ever
Mar 30th, 2003, 11:31 PM
Hmmm, why are they just now doing this....this totally goes against the argument of the Men making more b/c of best of 5. Its about freakin time.

CJ07
Mar 30th, 2003, 11:45 PM
good to hear

AjdeNate!
Mar 31st, 2003, 01:21 AM
I wonder how the rest of the schedule will look?

CJ07
Mar 31st, 2003, 01:24 AM
hey seles check out the monica pic for an avatar in the selestials forum

AjdeNate!
Mar 31st, 2003, 01:26 AM
hey seles check out the monica pic for an avatar in the selestials forum
I like! I'll make them avatar size later on and make a poll to vote on.

1jackson2001
Mar 31st, 2003, 01:36 AM
Yes, and I sit on my ass at a computer all day and do nothing and make good $$, but the janitor that empties my trash who works much harder than I do, makes much less than me.

It's all about supply and demand. The womens tour, though not necessarily as "long" as a mens match, deserves equal prize money.

If we are going to go on that route, then why don't we clock the matches and pay by the hour, like real jobs? ;)

Yea but your profession is different than that of the janitor's. The ATP and the WTA tour players have the same profession..tennis. If the men play best of 5, I think they deserve more prize money. Otherwise, make the men play best of 3..and then pay them all the same.

Furthermore, this is sports..and it is rarely clocked and paid by the hour. ;) IF that is done though..I can assure you the men, on average, would get paid a lot more than the women. ;)

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Mar 31st, 2003, 07:46 PM
Yea but your profession is different than that of the janitor's. The ATP and the WTA tour players have the same profession..tennis. If the men play best of 5, I think they deserve more prize money. Otherwise, make the men play best of 3..and then pay them all the same.

Furthermore, this is sports..and it is rarely clocked and paid by the hour. ;) IF that is done though..I can assure you the men, on average, would get paid a lot more than the women. ;)
Okay, but what about movie stars? Julia Roberts gets $20 million for doing a 6-month movie.

Someone like Debra Messing would get $1 million for the same amount of work.

Tennis is an entertainment....it doesn't matter how long you play, etc. Like I said earlier, it's about supply and demand ;)

sperosgeorgejr
Mar 31st, 2003, 07:51 PM
http://www.sportsmediainc.com/tennisweek/index.cfm?func=showarticle&newsid=8303&bannerregion=

Nasdaq-100, Pacific Life Open To Start Later Next Year

By Tennis Week
03/31/2003

The Nasdaq 100 Open and Pacific Life Open are shifting their spots on the tennis calendar next year. Both Masters Series events will start a week later in the 2004 and 2005 schedule in an effort to increase television coverage. The changes are expected to remain in effect through 2007. Nasdaq-100 Open chairman Butch Buchholz announced the the 2004 Nasdaq-100 Open will be held March 24th-April 4th next year. As a result of the schedule shift, CBS will telecast a total of five hours of the men's and women's finals compared to four hours this year. Both men's and women's final will start later than the 11 a.m. start time for this year's final. The early start time for this year's final was due in part to CBS' commitment to televising the NCAA basketball tournament, which immediately followed the men's final between Andre Agassi and Carlos Moya yesterday.

The Pacific Life Open, which is the first Tennis Masters Series tournament of the year, will also start at a later date, moving to mid March from it's 2003 start date of March 5th. Buchholz also announced that the Nasdaq-100 Open, which is widely regarded as "The Fifth Grand Slam", will award equal prize money to men and women starting in 2005. That should be good news for the Williams sisters' who have combined to win won five Nasdaq-100 Open titles with Venus claiming three crowns and Serena taking two successive titles. Men's champion Andre Agassi earned $500,000, while Serena collected a champion's check of $393,000.

copyright Tennis Week, 2003 A Sports Media Network Web Site

Dava
Mar 31st, 2003, 07:53 PM
Good to hear about the equal prize money but why not next year. It always seems they want to put off the prize money issue!

Shooter
Mar 31st, 2003, 08:49 PM
If Pacific Life and Nasdaq are played a week later, what happens to Sarasota? You can't put it before Pacific Life, because it's a clay court tournament. In fact, it's the first clay court tournament of the clay court season. There are 3 clay court events in the U.S. before the tour returns to Europe: Sarasota, Charleston, and Amelia Island. Will Sarasota disappear? And what will fill in that week when Pacific Life used to start?

http://www.mfwweb.com/tennis/Shooter.jpg