PDA

View Full Version : New Dates For Key Biscayne, Indian Wells

Venus Forever
Mar 30th, 2003, 08:34 PM
New dates for Key Biscayne, Indian Wells

March 30, 2003
KEY BISCAYNE, Fla. (AP) -- The Nasdaq-100 Open and Pacific Life Open will be held a week later in 2004 and 2005 to improve television exposure.

Next year's Nasdaq will be held March 24-April 4. Because of the change, CBS will televise five hours of the tournament the final weekend, compared with four this year, and the starting time of the finals will be later than this year's 11 a.m. EST start, Nasdaq chairman Butch Buchholz said Sunday.

The Pacific Life Open in Indian Wells, Calif., which this year began March 5, will move to mid-March. The calendar changes may last through 2007, Buchholz said.

He also said Nasdaq will have equal prize money for men and women by 2005. This year the men received $3.25 million, with $500,000 for champion Andre Agassi, and the women received $2.96 million, with $393,000 for champion Serena Williams.

ptkten
Mar 30th, 2003, 10:55 PM
Interesting...I wonder if they'll add a tournament because of the extra week in between the Aussie and Indian Wells.

Glad there will be more tv coverage though

selesfan
Mar 30th, 2003, 11:02 PM
Is the Aussie Open definitely going to change dates next year?

TM
Mar 31st, 2003, 02:17 AM
yes selesfan, check out ausopen.com

TheBoiledEgg
Mar 31st, 2003, 03:09 AM
Aus Open is technically not changing dates

this "change" occurs every few years

the earliest the Aus Open can begin is Jan 13 (starts any earlier players would be start new tennis year on Boxing Day and it would become earlier and earlier) which was this year, so the next available date is Jan 19 which is the latest date.

I guess the change is that so the ATP can keep its Scottsdale event as well, the ATP is making its Indian Wells a 96 draw as well. Had it been still 64 it would mean some other alterations.

Still doing this means 1 week of the clay season is lost. I dont see the French Open going back a week.

mboyle
Mar 31st, 2003, 03:17 AM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! This means that I am only going to be able to go to opening weekend while on my Florida vacation (which is sadly in its last 12 hours:sad: ). Man this sucks.

1jackson2001
Mar 31st, 2003, 03:36 AM
this sucks for my tv viewing cuz miami as it is now sits perfectly during my spring break and i get to see all the matches. pffff..

selesfan
Mar 31st, 2003, 05:02 AM
yes selesfan, check out ausopen.com

Thanks. :)