PDA

View Full Version : Maria Emilia Salerni (ARG) talent/no talent?

luv-ya
Mar 30th, 2003, 07:55 PM
why menton her?
remember she was the ITF Junior Champ
at the turn of the millenium........
but she failed to follow 99 Champ Lina K,
98 Champ Dokic......

2000 TOP 10
Maria Emilia Salerni (ARG)
Aniko Kapros (HUN)
Kaia Kanepi (EST)
Renata Voracova (CZE)
Tatiana Perebiynis (UKR)
Ioana Gaspar (ROM)
Edina Gallovits (ROM)
Vera Zvonareva (RUS)
Lenka Dlhopolcova (SVK)
Eva Birnerova (CZE)

but i thought she had a good start by making
3rd round of Amelie Island in 01.........
isnt that great?
what is wrong with her?

Gowza
Mar 30th, 2003, 10:35 PM
look at that list of players. they were all big talents and the only player to do much is zvonareva.

salerni is stuck between #100 and #200

kapros can't get that serve working.

kanepi just hasn't performed.

voracova is starting to go downhill.

perebiynis is stuck between #100 and #150.

i don't know where gaspar and gallovits are.

lenka has just vanished.

and birnerova is struggling in the challengers.

they all had (have talent) but only one of them seems to have developed any of it.

ptkten
Mar 30th, 2003, 10:53 PM
Lenka and Kaia have had injuries so that explains their struggles. Hopefully both can get back to their original form.

However, I agree this was a very weak top 10 so that might explain why Salerni was able to dominate in the juniors. She's won two matches this week so hopefully she'll start moving up the rankings again.

Julian
Mar 30th, 2003, 10:54 PM
Wow where are these players now!? :eek:

Here's probably the main problems:

1.injury
2.Guillermo Canas ;)

joaco
Mar 31st, 2003, 02:10 AM
I have got to addmit that Salerni has been a huge dissapointment... it was such a thrill after she'd won 2000 Wimby, and the USO. She seemed to have such a great future ahead of her.... :rolleyes: :( What is wrong with her?! hope she can 'come back' soon and start winning, she deserves it and she does have the tools to achieve it.

Joaco

CB
Mar 31st, 2003, 02:28 AM
Pitu is talented but she is very unlucky.

She always reaches main draws in GS (thru qualies); but she always faces a high seed and never gets a good draw to earn some points and confidence:)

I hope she can pull a late-boomer, I won't lose faith on her

brunof
Mar 31st, 2003, 03:18 AM
Is she a bit lazy?

TheBoiledEgg
Mar 31st, 2003, 03:38 AM
Pitu was also the oldest to be the #1 junior since 1997 when Cara Black took it as an 18 yr old.

2000 was in all a bit of a strange year in juniors

I heard Ioana is playing for some university in the states.

Kaia was the only 15 yr old there in top 10.

amy2468
Mar 31st, 2003, 03:40 AM
Ioana is playing college tennis at USC next year.

Gowza
Mar 31st, 2003, 03:55 AM
kanepi and kapros imo are bigger disappointments than salerni. they both dominated for a couple of years in juniors whereas salerni wasn't as dominate for so long. salerni has had a better career than kanepi who i think is the biggest disappointment. kapros did alright at one slam but that serve has killed her.

i still can't believe she could dominate the juniors with that kind of serve.

brunof
Mar 31st, 2003, 04:10 AM
I always hear of Kapros' terrible serve. It must be bad. Does anyone have a pic of the motion? Talent otherwise? What's so wrong with it?

Gowza
Mar 31st, 2003, 04:27 AM
i don't know whether the motion or the mental aspect is the problem. she tosses the ball up and her backswing basically comes to a stop before she hits the ball so she has to start the swing again with her shoulder already fully extended. but i don't know whether she has a bad action or whether she has a mental problem. if she were to keep the swing going then her serve would be a good motion. she hits a really slow first and second serve and i'm wondering whether she stops because she thinks she's going to hit it to hard and not get it in.

Jakeev
Mar 31st, 2003, 07:13 AM
I disagree about Kapros Gowza. If anything she has had more consistency in the pros than Salerni has has as of now.

And wow Gaspar is going to USC next season. What a dominant team that will be next year. Can't wait to see how the trojans do with Iaona next year.

Gowza
Mar 31st, 2003, 07:29 AM
Jakeev, i never said who has had the better pro career. i think there is no disputing that kapros has had the better one because she has made the 3rd round of a slam and she is consistently ranked higher than salerni. all i said is that i think kapro's is a bigger disappointment than salerni because i thought kapro's had more talent. and i thought the same for kanepi.