PDA

View Full Version : Question about the men's final

Mark43
Mar 30th, 2003, 07:16 PM
Isn't the mens Nasdaq final always 3 out of 5 sets? I swear I heard all week that it would be 3/5. When did they decide to make it 2 out of 3?

Am I going crazy :eek:
?

Havok
Mar 30th, 2003, 07:18 PM
i was thinking the same thing. another thing that pissed me off is that they always show the trphy awards of the men, but never the women. WTF is up with that :confused:

GBFH
Mar 30th, 2003, 07:20 PM
Everything except majors is best of three in USA. It's tv stuff.

Seles_Beckham
Mar 30th, 2003, 07:20 PM
I was sure that the final was 3 of 5. But looks like we were wrong.

Mark43
Mar 30th, 2003, 07:23 PM
GBFH, the men's final at Miami has been 3 out of 5 for many, many years. Last year Andre beat Federer in 4 sets.

I just never heard any announcement that they were going to go 2/3 this year.

Don't get me wrong....I am GLAD they did!

GBFH
Mar 30th, 2003, 07:27 PM
GBFH, the men's final at Miami has been 3 out of 5 for many, many years. Last year Andre beat Federer in 4 sets.

I just never heard any announcement that they were going to go 2/3 this year.

Don't get me wrong....I am GLAD they did!

um, I know that :p

I didn't hear it either, but I don't find it surprising...I think Cincinnatti is best-of-three...so it was a matter of time before Key Biscayne went best-of-three.

Why are you acting so defensive?

AjdeNate!
Mar 30th, 2003, 07:30 PM
Pam & Mary Joe said it earlier in the week... maybe Jen v. Taylor match?

tennischick
Mar 30th, 2003, 07:32 PM
some of the Masters series were 3/5 while others were best 2/3. a decision was taken last year to convert Miami to a best 2/3. the main reason is TV ratings. viewers (not us obviously) don't want to sit thru that much tennis. most viewers prefer two or three exciting sets of tennis than 5 sets of endless rallies.

i think the change helped Agassi frankly. by the end of the second set, most of those Spaniards are only now warming up and getting ready for the long haul. most of those guys can play all day. a longer match IMHO would have favored Moya.

Nan Cu
Mar 30th, 2003, 10:02 PM
Sorta like if they were playing on clay...like RG 1999. ;)

tennischick
Mar 30th, 2003, 10:05 PM
that's right! ;)