PDA

View Full Version : Boy Scouts=girls Scouts,ymca=ywca, Atp<wta

wta_forever
Mar 30th, 2003, 06:02 PM
When will the men and women in Tennis stop segregating themselves one from another by playing in separate events. Yes, there's the ATP and the WTA and never the twain shall meet.

But why? They are playing the same game, so the practice of playing separate schedules appears to be the relic of a bygone era.

I am not suggesting that men and women oppose each other on the same court (they already do in mixed doubles, of course). It's just that I would like to see the professional women and men play Tennis in the same place at the same time. This can be seen any time at the local level. Why not the pros?

One way of reasoning is that having more tournaments in more cities results in more fans and therefore more revenue.
I suggest a gathering of a greater number of star players in one place brings out a greater number of fans to that place. This translates into higher revenue for each tournament. The US Open is a good example.

Different reasoning suggests that the increased quantity of tournaments serves these fans by giving them more opportunities to attend a professional tennis match and see their favourite players. Perhaps! The question is whether the fans demand it, or would they prefer to see Anna, Andre, Venus, Pete. Serena, LLeyton in the same cities at the same time? They would get more stars per dollar.

The coming together of men and women athletes works every four(4) years at the Olympic Games, and each year for Tennis' Major Championships and a few others. Why not year round at all Tennis tournaments?

Golf is identified by Tiger Woods and the men's game. Soccer and
Basketball is defined by the men's games, also, with the women's game seen as a poor relation. Tennis has been seen that way less because of the simultaneous championships at the Major Tournaments. As the popularity of the women players rises to exceed that of the men, there is the possibility of Tennis being defined by the women's game at the expense of the men's game. Isn't this true of figure skating? In order to forestall that, I propose that the WTA and ATP merge operations to hold joint tournaments.

In some places, the YMCA has long catered to all would come while the YWCA is tottering on the brink of extinction. It might be good for the Boy scouts and Girl Scouts to continue separate
but equal, but I believe the time has come when men and women can play Tennis in close proximity safely.

http://www.wtafans.com/columnists/columnist005_special.html

AjdeNate!
Mar 30th, 2003, 06:09 PM
Well with the new guy named to lead the WTA being a former ATP pro he has said that he wants to combine both tours more weekly events, and wants ONE season ender - a combined season ender w/men & women that moves around like the men's currently does.

Rtael
Mar 30th, 2003, 06:09 PM
wtf? You wanna see absolutely 0 women's coverage on TV? is that what you just said?

AjdeNate!
Mar 30th, 2003, 06:10 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news?slug=ap-wta-scott&prov=ap&type=lgns

KEY BISCAYNE, Fla. (AP) -- Former ATP official Larry Scott was hired as chief executive officer of the WTA Tour on Saturday.

Scott, 38, signed a five-year agreement with the WTA Tour to succeed Kevin Wulff, who left after 18 months for a job with Adidas. Most recently Scott was ATP chief operating officer and president of ATP Properties.

Scott, introduced at a news conference before the women's final at the Nasdaq-100 Open, wants to improve the strained relationship between the men's and women's tours, as well as relations with the Grand Slam tournaments and International Tennis Federation.

``I do think that my history and track record can only be beneficial in terms of all the governing bodies working more closely together,'' he said. ``The sport can only reach its true potential if all the governing bodies are working in greater harmony.''

One change Scott said he would like to see is a combined championship tournament for the two tours at the end of the year.

Nasdaq tournament chairman Butch Buchholz hopes Scott's hiring brings the men's and women's tours closer.

``We desperately need to be unified and start thinking of the sport as one,'' Buchholz said.