PDA

View Full Version : why not take Rubin to make an All-African Fed Cup team?

luv-ya
Mar 30th, 2003, 06:54 PM
Chanda, Alexander, Venus, Serena.......
wouldnt that make a great team in Fed Cup?
where all the "races" are represented.. ;)

mboyle
Mar 30th, 2003, 06:56 PM
You flaming racist:p ! But honestly, what would be so great about an all African American team?:rolleyes: What is the big deal about being white or black or any thing else? I say let it be Venus/Serena/Monica/Lindsay and Chanda or Meghan as the alternate. (close call) Alex would just dump all the balls into the net, and loose 6-0; 6-0:o :rolleyes: .

King Lindsay
Mar 30th, 2003, 06:56 PM
They are?

harloo
Mar 30th, 2003, 07:00 PM
Love alex, but she is a little too inconsistent for my taste to be on Fed Cup. Chanda is the better choice, and Megan will come behind her. Megan and Chanda have improved so much, but they inconsistent at times also.

CC
Mar 30th, 2003, 08:12 PM
Rubin is African? And then again, why would you want Africans to play for America?

Dava
Mar 30th, 2003, 08:16 PM
Alex wold be a bad choice for Fed Cup, the pressure of having the whole team on her shoulders would be too much.

SJW
Mar 30th, 2003, 08:52 PM
cos Chanda SUCKS :rolleyes:

im surprised they had Alex on the team ;)

i woulda picked Meghann and Lisa (just for the sake of it, i dont like her at all)

leslie
Mar 30th, 2003, 09:42 PM
From what I have read, Chanda turned down the offer because she could not be first. I think she is a little jealous of the sisters, but then again the whole WTA is jealous of the sisters.

the cat
Mar 30th, 2003, 09:49 PM
Let's be real. I like Alex and have always backed her. But how in the world is she on the U.S. Fed Cup play? How does her play warrant being put on this team? Or is it because she is friends with the Williams sisters?

ptkten
Mar 30th, 2003, 10:50 PM
How is Chanda jealous of the Williams sisters if she didn't want to play :rolleyes:

It would be pointless of her to waste a week when she would just be an alternate when she could be practicing, getting herself prepared for the clay court season.

Anyway, good luck Venus, Serena, Meghann, and Alex!!

switz
Mar 31st, 2003, 12:25 AM
How is Chanda jealous of the Williams sisters if she didn't want to play :rolleyes:

It would be pointless of her to waste a week when she would just be an alternate when she could be practicing, getting herself prepared for the clay court season.

Anyway, good luck Venus, Serena, Meghann, and Alex!!

it could not be more simple. chanda is coming back into the period where points are going to have to be defended again. why would it be jealousy making chanda not play? chanda is an intelligent women who knows that BJK will probably put the williams sisters in the singles and the doubles (especially after last year's debacle). by your logic all the times venus and serena have declined to play fed cup (which has been more often than not) was because they were jealous of capriati, davenport, or seles, which is just stupid.

Jakeev
Mar 31st, 2003, 07:36 AM
Either leslie is practicing for amatuer night at the Comedy Magic Club or she full of hippo dung again.......

Any idea which? :rolleyes:

BigTennisFan
Mar 31st, 2003, 07:39 AM
Jennifer should be playing Fed Cup. Why isn't Jennifer on the team? :mad: :fiery: :devil: :angel:

doloresc
Mar 31st, 2003, 01:08 PM
i'm disappointed that the team didn't actually happen but i find consolation in knowing that it could happen at another fed cup tie in the future. it would be icing on the cake if garrison was fed captain when the 4 african-americans made the squad because garrison played fed cup and i bet she never thought 4 black players would be good enough for the competition.

moby
Mar 31st, 2003, 02:00 PM
Jennifer should be playing Fed Cup. Why isn't Jennifer on the team? :mad: :fiery: :devil: :angel:

lol...
i think she pissed someone off last year
but we are all on jenn's side so dont worry

caramel
Mar 31st, 2003, 03:40 PM
Rubin is African? And then again, why would you want Africans to play for America?

;)

Hendouble
Mar 31st, 2003, 03:45 PM
The team should be composed of the most effective American players regardless of race, and if you apply those criteria then Stevenson should be kept as far away from it as possible. If anyone was going to be the third player, Davenport would probably be the most sensible choice, as there's no way any player from the other team is going to beat her unless the USA is playing Belgium.

But honestly, if you've got the Williams sisters why bother having any other players at all? You know they're going to breeze through all of their matches, and for the foreseeable future the Fed Cup is going to have the USA as its winner year after year. Not, of course, that any of the players actually care about winning it.

Volcana
Mar 31st, 2003, 03:53 PM
That could happen. But not this round.

Lindsay, Monica, Meghann and Lisa Raymond would all have to decline first. And since all those players are still thinking about the Olympic team, NONE of them are going to decline this time around. You have to 'make yourself available to play' Fed Cup, in order to make the Olympic team. (I'm not sure if its once in the previous two years, or EACH of the previous two years.) Thing is, you don't have to PLAY, or even be onthe team. If you make yourself available, BJK doesn't pick you, and you're one of the top three US players, you're on the Olympic team. (This is not considered a likely scenario.)

Later in Fed Cup, the 'AAAces' team (All African American) could play since players are likelier to not play once they've secured Olympic eligibility. Especially since V&S will likely do all the meaningful playing.

SJW
Apr 1st, 2003, 04:29 PM
switz:

i got your rep diss

i dont like chanda! im sorry! sue me! seriously theres nothing you can do if you dont like a player right?!

i think it would be worse if i started liking chanda after you dissed me out :rollseyes:

OBJECTIVE baby...i shoulda put

"regardless of the similaritites myself and Miss Rubin share due to ethnic origin, i do not find her game suited to the criteria i have when liking players"

yours truly

SJW (the real one)

:)

CB
Apr 1st, 2003, 04:46 PM
who cares about this? not even black people think about that.. tsk tsk

SJW
Apr 1st, 2003, 08:48 PM
you know!!!!!

im black and i *dont like* Chanda

am i a sellout? nah way

its just the way it is

Jakeev
Apr 1st, 2003, 08:52 PM
Who says you have to like a player because of the color of their skin anyway?

Callie20
Apr 1st, 2003, 09:47 PM
Chanda, Alexander, Venus, Serena.......
wouldnt that make a great team in Fed Cup?
where all the "races" are represented.. ;)

The last time I checked, Venus, Serena, Alexander, and Chanda Rubin were born and raised in America. ;)

luv-ya
Apr 2nd, 2003, 12:58 AM
The last time I checked, Venus, Serena, Alexander, and Chanda Rubin were born and raised in America. ;)
but i thought Americans are supposed to be white........;)

Mikey
Apr 2nd, 2003, 01:50 AM
By the way, all the players ranked between Venus and Meghann declined. That includes Lindsay Davenport, Chanda Rubin, Monica Seles, and Lisa Raymond (that I know of). All of them were asked before Alexandra definitely (although Meghann played last year, so that probaby helped), but they all said no.