PDA

View Full Version : On playing Serena

Volcana
Mar 30th, 2003, 05:28 PM
I think we're seeing the pattern now. Players are trying to change pace, use spins, drop shots, anything to get Serena out of rythym, and make it a chess match rather than a power-and-speed match. (Except Justine. She'll never change).

Emilie Loit, Venus and Jenn all took this approach. Amelie does too.

Kim doesn't, but Kim has had more success vs Serena recently than anyone else, so she has less NEED to change. But I think we're slowly seeing the all-court game come back to women's tennis, as the elite baseliners accept that Serena just can't be beaten from back there. She can lose, but you can't beat her. If she plays well, you just can't win a baseline slugfest against her.

For us, this is all to the good. Sprinking in some all-court and net play can only make baseline tennis more entertaining.

tennischick
Mar 30th, 2003, 05:34 PM
Els Callens was one of the first players to show how it can be done even tho' she was in the end unable to do it herself at Wimby. and then, in their next match-up, she foolishly decided to morph herself into a baseline power hitter and Serena had her for dinner.

harloo
Mar 30th, 2003, 05:50 PM
Els Callens did a good job at Wimby, but Serena showed how mentally tough she was in that match. Serena can win matches with her mind, and when others use spin, drop shots, and other elements to throw her off she seems to find a way to win. I think El Callens was really close and she displayed alot of heart, but IMO it's hard for any player to keep consistently mixing it up against Rena because she tracks it down and goes for the winner. Coming to the net is hard against her because she pushes the player back so much on return.

King Lindsay
Mar 30th, 2003, 05:53 PM
There really doesn't seem to be any effective gameplan against Serena. ;) it really underlines how dominant she has become when we're singling out players for high praise when they manage a set.

Seenus
Mar 30th, 2003, 07:38 PM
...Kim doesn't, but Kim has had more success vs Serena recently than anyone else, so she has less NEED to change. ...
The first step in beating Serena must be made off the court. Her opponents must achieve a level of fitness that will allow them to play three tough sets if necessary.
Kim believes she is so buff that she is in danger of losing her speed which is one of her great assets. I think she understands what is necessary. I don't hold any hope for Venus, Jen and the rest of the field. They either lack the commitment or the opportunity (because of injuries for example)
Then their games have to improve. Serena says she had not been training for weeks prior to the Nasdaq.

Dava
Mar 30th, 2003, 07:43 PM
You can say you are going to do A B and then C to beat Serena becuase she plays on instinct herself, so therefore it is the best way for them to play. Mixing slice etc. is effective, but only to a point as Serena can adapt well to those kind of shots.

leslie
Mar 30th, 2003, 08:37 PM
The first step in beating Serena must be made off the court. Her opponents must achieve a level of fitness that will allow them to play three tough sets if necessary.
Kim believes she is so buff that she is in danger of losing her speed which is one of her great assets. I think she understands what is necessary. I don't hold any hope for Venus, Jen and the rest of the field. They either lack the commitment or the opportunity (because of injuries for example)
Then their games have to improve. Serena says she had not been training for weeks prior to the Nasdaq.

Serena wore Kim out in that semi-final on Friday. She had Kim running all over the court, she was so worn out she could not complete her doubles match and she is suppose to be so fit. I can't figure that one out.

bandabou
Apr 1st, 2003, 01:03 PM
Serena always has been though to beat, but had the problem of not closing out matches. But now that she has got her mental act together it's gonna be more and more difficult to beat her. The reason is that she is a big points player now. She knows what points are important and than is the moment she goes:BAM and strikes! That's why she's no.1 and that's why she is poised to go down as an all-time great!

CanadianBoy21
Apr 1st, 2003, 01:16 PM
I think players think too much of a game plan, when u get out on court it doesn't matter, the ball comes at you so hard that you can't suddden;y decide to hit a drop shot or approach. Serena pins you down to the baseline like no other player does.
And then SHE approaches and finishes it off, and the player is left wondering and saying 'wasn't that my gawme plan'...
If anybody can beat Serena now, it is Venus and Lindsay...and Serena has seperated herself from those two a long while ago, in fact, Lindsay was never close to her.

SM
Apr 1st, 2003, 01:31 PM
superdevil i too think the term game-plan is given too much weight in tennis discussion too.

ofcourse it comes in, but i think in most cases players just talk to their entourage and develop a 'broad' strategy on how to go about business...but once they get on court its more often that they just play what feels right instinctively and dont spend too much thought on how to win a point when the ball is coming so friggin hard vs people like Serena!!!!!

Some players by displaying something different than the rest might be said to be executing a gameplan but im sure that whatever they show is a normal aspect of their game theyd use against most other people anyway, and they arent being too deviant from normal.

CanadianBoy21
Apr 2nd, 2003, 12:04 AM
Exactly SM.
I once played this tournament and my game plan was to keep myself in the rally and approach the net and hit slices, and I lost the first set 6-0, and then second set I just went to play my regular game to hit as hard as I freakin can and I won 6-3 6-2.
So I know how it feels to attempt to try to mix it up, but it is not something someone is used to playing.
U see Kim playing Hingi style for example, but there is only one Hingi, and she has retired because she ran a little too much, Kim should just pound the freaking ball, even against Serena.
Venus, oh where do I start with her, her game plan sucks against Serena. She trys to be consistent and hit medium paced shots...she succeeded 2001 Us Open, but now it is not the same story, sis Serena won't miss silly shots. Venus needs to do the same thing Kim needs to do, go for the lines, hey nothing else is working, and hey it was their original game style.
:confused:

1jackson2001
Apr 2nd, 2003, 02:19 AM
Players should just stick to their own playing style that they are used to. That way they can play their best against her.

moby
Apr 2nd, 2003, 04:33 AM
that's not true all the time too...
after all ashe beat connors at in 75 wimbledon because of a lot of strategising and he just took connors apart piece by piece

i think the key is that players should still try to mix it up while not sacrificing their original playing styles. probably hit a few slices, change pace to make your opponents off balance and hit some weaker replies, then go WHAM-BAM on the first opportunity. this is what power players should be doing against serena.

bandabou
Apr 2nd, 2003, 12:52 PM
Seeing all this and Wertheim still wants to persist that since Steffi no one has had an air of invicibility. Well: Look who ain't losing anymore!