PDA

View Full Version : Birmingham Commitments???

Dava
Mar 30th, 2003, 02:32 PM
Does anyone know when they will be coming out. I want to see whos going to this tournament.

bluepastures
Mar 30th, 2003, 02:45 PM
The top entrants for the Surbiton 25k the previous week would definitely hope to be in the qualifiers for Birmingham the following week.

This includes:

Kristina Brandi (who always plays Birmingham)
Zsofia Gubasci
Jenny Hopkins

and in the doubles, Kim Grant & Abigail Spears.

As more top quality entrants appear on the Surbiton list, this will give more clues!

Rita Grande's definitely going to be in Birmingham too.

TheBoiledEgg
Mar 30th, 2003, 04:39 PM
Birmingham commitments will be out in about 4 weeks time

tim4
Mar 30th, 2003, 09:35 PM
Well, at this early stage, I just wanna give a wholehearted good-luck message to Kim and Abi!!

TheBoiledEgg
Mar 31st, 2003, 07:23 PM
Kim ????

there won't be a Kim playing there unless you mean Kim Grant in doubles ;)

Pdm1987
Mar 31st, 2003, 08:17 PM
Magui Serna usually plays, doesn't she??
How many wildcards are given for maindraw & qualies and who do we expect to get them?

Monica_Rules
Mar 31st, 2003, 08:26 PM
Theres 4 MD wildcards and 4 for qualies aswell i think

Maindraw(if all brits)

Anne Keothavong
Elena Baltacha
Julie Pullin
Lucie Ahl

Quallies
Jane O'Donaghue
Hannah Collin
Jo Moore
Sarah Borwell
Helen Crook

Pdm1987
Apr 1st, 2003, 05:59 AM
Mine would be the same as M_R but without Jo Moore.

Dava
Apr 1st, 2003, 08:17 AM
Testud is hopeing to return at this event, though it may only be in doubles.

paul_masterton
Apr 1st, 2003, 04:49 PM
Tauziat will be a guest of honour - dont know if that means she'll be playing.

Wild cards will tell us who has and hasnt been awarded wild cards for wimbledon, as pre-qualifying takes place this week.

If Anne can grab another couple of titles (or elena too) she can proably make main-draw, the cut-off is usually around 110-120.

Qualies can go down to 300, so Hannah and Jane probably wont need one by the time this event comes round - that would be great as it would allow two other players in.

I'd go for:

Elena + Anne (duh!)
Julie (3rd round last year)
Lucie (usually plays well here, last year pushed Dokic all the way)

Qualies:

Jane + Hannah (if they need them)
Sarah Borwell
Helen Crook

if Hannah and/or Jane get in by right then give them to:

Jo Moore and Melanie South

Pdm1987
Apr 1st, 2003, 06:04 PM
If Anne & Elena were to get in automatically then i would give the main draw wildcards to;
1. Julie Pullin 2. Lucie Ahl 3. Jane O'Donoghue 4. Hannah Collin

For Qualies;
1. Helen Crook 2. Jo Moore 3. Sarah Borwell 4. Katie O'Brien

bluepastures
Apr 1st, 2003, 06:56 PM
One other thing about qualifying. It clashes with the final two days of Surbiton, so this could lead to a few late withdrawals.

paul_masterton
Apr 1st, 2003, 07:16 PM
although allowances are usually made. Last year Granville and Lee both got to play, although admittadly that did have something to do with the rain!!!

bluepastures
Apr 1st, 2003, 07:44 PM
They wouldn't delay a player's 1st round qualifying match until Monday, unless there was rain in Birmingham. It would mess up the schedule too much.

england_rules
Apr 2nd, 2003, 02:58 AM
I cant wait for this event!

bluepastures
Apr 2nd, 2003, 05:48 PM
More on the Tauziat return. It doesn't sound as if she'll be playing. Incidentally the "£6 on the first day" is talking about the first day of the main draw.

"Nathalie Tauziat, the former Wimbledon finalist and twice-winner of the DFS Classic, tournament in Birmingham, is to make an emotional return to the Edgbaston Priory Club for this year's event.

Nathalie, the 35-year-old Frenchwoman who has gone into coaching after earning around $7m in career prize money, will be a guest of honour at the pre-Wimbledon grass court tournament.

She has been invited to the tournament (June 9-15) as part of a unique link-up with Warwickshire LTA. Nathalie is already an honorary life member of the club and she invited youngsters from the county futures performance squad to France for a camp recently and will bring over youngsters from across the channel as part of a reciprocal agreement.

Tickets are now on sale for the DFS Classic which offers top class action from leading stars on the women's tour. Last year Jelena Dokic won the tournament and the organisers are expecting another high class entry list in 2003.

Ticket prices range from £6 on the first day to £15 for the final. Weekly passes are available, priced £50. Contact the ticket hotline on 0870 909 3015. Discounts for groups, LTA advantage members and senior citizens are on offer and a free junior ticket can be claimed at time of purchase when an adult ticket is bought."

E. Blackadder
Apr 15th, 2003, 07:53 AM
I bet Els Callens will play, this is her favorite event with a lot of special memories :)

Pdm1987
May 3rd, 2003, 10:09 PM
Last Year I got Els' autograph, after she played the doubles semi-final with Shinobu Asagoe and she was so sweet :D :hearts:

Anyway...Will they be awarding the maidraw and qualification wildcards on merit or from current rankings. To qualify automatically for the main draw both Elena & Anne need 100+ points. So those 2 would need wildcards, aswell as Jane & Lucie. Julie will gain automatic entry into Qualies, hopefully, leaving those wildcards for Hannah, Helen, Sarah & Amanda (?).

I cannot wait for this event, I intend to take my digital camera and meet loads of players ;)

Maxine
May 3rd, 2003, 11:59 PM
I won't be going to this event but hope everyone who goes has a great time!! :)