PDA

View Full Version : Quiet Please!!! Will that ever change??

spokenword73
Mar 30th, 2003, 02:32 PM
Will tennis ever change that "quiet please" rule when the player serves? I think there was on thread on this before and I believe Richard Williams would like to see that rule gone!! Will tennis ever become like other sports where fans can make noise throughout?? Would like to hear from people who play tennis :wavey:

Dava
Mar 30th, 2003, 02:34 PM
I agree with Richard to a point, but I dont think the crowd should be cheering all the way through a point. It would be really off putting for everyone involved inculding the audience.

spokenword73
Mar 30th, 2003, 02:36 PM
I agree with Richard to a point, but I dont think the crowd should be cheering all the way through a point. It would be really off putting for everyone involved inculding the audience.

yes, I can see that. The only comparison I can make is when a player is shooting a free throw in basketball...the opposing fans usually make lots of noise so he'll miss...it's part of the game...shouldn't a tennis player be able to serve through the noise??

King Lindsay
Mar 30th, 2003, 02:49 PM
I'm sure they could, but it's just like golf. It's a gentleman's game. Unlike basketball or Football or whatever, you don't go to cheer a team against another team. So what would be the point of making a tonne of noise during a point? to distract the players?

I think it should stay the way it has. Oh, and if you'll notice, the fans are permitted to make sounds during the point. How many times have you heard ooohs and ahhhs fro mthe corwd during a big point or after a close line call? it is allowed, what's not allowed is noise intending to distract.

Colin B
Mar 30th, 2003, 03:46 PM
You'll sometimes hear the umpire say, "in the interests of both players, please remain silent during the point". That's because a lot of noise can be just as off-puting for the person returning serve as for the server. If you want a good Tennis match, shut the f... up and let the players concentrate!
Anyway, you tend to find it's arseholes who know little about the game who are making all the noise.

Have you ever sat in a large arena, such as Wimbledon's centre court
and heard the 'sound' of sixteen thousand people suddenly go so quiet that you could hear a pin drop? Felt that spine-tingling anticipation as the server prepares to serve in total silence, even at Championship point? Thats all part of the unique atmosphere of a major Tennis match
and should never be lost.

Car Key Boi
Mar 30th, 2003, 03:48 PM
i wish they had cheerleaders :(

selesrules
Mar 30th, 2003, 04:15 PM
If they allow it then things will go out of control and everyone would scream or talk every 2 seconds. Tennis needs a lot of concentration so I think they should keep the "quiet rule", otherwise it would be OUT OF CONTROL. :eek: