PDA

View Full Version : Do you Enjoy Serenas domination of the game, and do you think its good for the sport.

Dava
Mar 30th, 2003, 11:41 AM
Serena seems unbeatable at the momment, so how do you like the sport this way? Do you thik it will loose fans becuase of it.

I think no, I enjoy to watch Serena play and though Im not a Serena fan per se, I think she extremly talented, and all her matches are exciting to watch. I never miss a Serena match.

BasicTennis
Mar 30th, 2003, 12:01 PM
It's always great to watch Serena play. This would only draw more interest especially that her rivals are more determined to reach her level. Serena acknowledged that they're getting to that level and that she needs to practice more to raise it to another level.:worship:

Hendouble
Mar 30th, 2003, 12:02 PM
I don't think her domination will cause women's tennis to lose any fans, although that probably shows more than anything else that people will not care how little competitition there is in the sport provided there is an American at the root of it.

tennischick
Mar 30th, 2003, 12:06 PM
I don't think her domination will cause women's tennis to lose any fans, although that probably shows more than anything else that people will not care how little competitition there is in the sport provided there is an American at the root of it.
unfortunately true.

however i think that Serena as a champ is good for the sport bec of her media friendliness and accessibility.

Tennisfan-Mtl
Mar 30th, 2003, 12:11 PM
It does make it less interesting for me....But tennis will surely not loose me because of Williams' domination

:)

SJW
Mar 30th, 2003, 12:21 PM
man im so surprised that the feedback is soooo positive :)

im never tired of Serena....i cant imagine thinking i want her to lose a match

Bella
Mar 30th, 2003, 12:22 PM
She has charisma and beauty and breathtaking shots. She's not invincible and can and does face challenges. Can Kimmie and Jen and Venus and Lindsay and the resurgent Meghann or Chanda and Emily Loit ;) come up to the mark and challenge her? Fans will be looking for those challenges and tune in for them.

By establishing her goal of going undefeated for a year, she also creates some tension for all her big matches. She's good for the game. She hasn't dominated for that long. She's the big winner now. Big stars are good for every game.

Becool
Mar 30th, 2003, 01:54 PM
Yeah! She is a very exciting player to watch even being the number one player and almost invincible. Cause, she's not that cold player with no emotions. She doesn't wear white and boring outfits everytime she plays. She never let to talk with the media, and also her interviews are never boring.
Serena is always something new for tennis. With her strong personality, with her crazy outfits, with her incredible tennis, with her attitude, she's always a great entertainament!

tennischick
Mar 30th, 2003, 01:57 PM
i think she is a more widely popular #1 than Venus ever was.

Gandalf
Mar 30th, 2003, 02:37 PM
I don't think Serena's domination is as bad for the sport as people in this board make it to be. She likes the spotlight, enjoys being number 1 and generates a lot of publicity, and all of this is great for tennis. Game-wise, when she's on you can see some shots that no-one else does. Right now, we have the most interest-drawing numer 1 since Hingis in '97.

Actually, what is bad for the sport is the defeatist attitude the rest of the tour has. Serena can have a horrible day, make 100 unforced errors and still her opponents get to choke the match away. That's what is not good for women's tennis, and makes it look like a 2nd-rate sport.

Experimentee
Mar 30th, 2003, 02:57 PM
I agree with whats been said. I like Serena and her game is very exciting. The way she is playing is forcing other players to raise their game to compete with her and Venus. Also there is always someone who is dominating in tennis, always has been, and its better that its someone interesting and with charisma like Serena than someone boring with not much personality like Graf for example (no disrespect to Steffi, i like her but i know a lot of people thought she was boring).

Lita's Ex
Mar 30th, 2003, 03:07 PM
I don't think Serena's domination is as bad for the sport as people in this board make it to be. She likes the spotlight, enjoys being number 1 and generates a lot of publicity, and all of this is great for tennis. Game-wise, when she's on you can see some shots that no-one else does. Right now, we have the most interest-drawing numer 1 since Hingis in '97.

Actually, what is bad for the sport is the defeatist attitude the rest of the tour has. Serena can have a horrible day, make 100 unforced errors and still her opponents get to choke the match away. That's what is not good for women's tennis, and makes it look like a 2nd-rate sport.

I totally agree with that. It's not like the other players haven't had their chances to beat Serena (yesterday Jenn surely did) but they allow Serena's self-confidence to get in their heads and she, forever the World #1 who hates to lose, takes advantage of it. I expect all players to capitalize on their opponents lapses, don't you?

venusfan
Mar 30th, 2003, 03:17 PM
What happened to Venus when she was playing that girl the other day. Was she sick? I am still in shock right now... anyway, go Serena.. u deserve the title and the #1 title. Just win 1 more Slam and she will be locked to end the end at #1 again.

Cariaoke
Mar 30th, 2003, 04:44 PM
I agree with what's been said but I just love Serena's style, on and off the court. Before she hits the court, I know I'm guaranteed a new hairstyle and/or outfit, some accessories and a really funny interview transcript to read after the match. You know immediately how Serena's feeling because she just shows you everything. I'm a fan of sports stars that deliver and boy does Serena deliver.

As for her domination, not that I want Serena to lose anytime soon, but it's like the other girls are not trying with the exception of people who are meeting her for the first time like a Loit or a Callens last year. If Serena's leading the H2H, it's like her opponents just fold. She's definitely in their heads but Serena can't be blamed for it. She brings it almost always and they rarely step up to the challenge or believe they can take her down. That's a problem but it's just not her problem.

joaco
Mar 30th, 2003, 04:56 PM
I've realised that EVERYONE that has replied this thread is or Likes the Williams sisters. I will have to DISAGREE with every one of you.
Of course you think the Serena domination is good for the sport. You're fave is always winning, how bad can that be? I'd love to be a fan of Serena, I really would, but I'm not.
For the ones that are not fans of her it's not nice to see her win every tournament that she plays in. That you already know that she's gonna beat everyone till the end. That your hopes for your faves are so down when Serena play that you have no suprise when they loose. That you know that the score that SHOULD be tight against a top player ends up in a straight set win or a 6-1 in the third. How is THAT great for the sport?

Of course we all enjoy watching Serena's athletisism in the court, it's amazing..... till one point. You DO get bored of watching the same player winning the last four GSs, and it's rather pathetic wanting Serena to loose in any tournament not because you deslike her, but because you get tired of see her winning.

Yeah! She is a very exciting player to watch even being the number one player and almost invincible. Cause, she's not that cold player with no emotions. She doesn't wear white and boring outfits everytime she plays. She never let to talk with the media, and also her interviews are never boring.
That's great..... if you like Serena. Imagine yourself this situation with other player: Lindsay for example or Momo. You would you react to that? And Serena getting whipped out every time she plays them.
I mean, I like Serena's outfit and attitude and her interviews sure must be great, but that's not what I care the most in tennis. I'd rather see an excellent match between two players, a good rivalry.... what?! not even that! a good, tight match, between Serena and someone for a while, there was only 1 this year against Kim and I really enjoyed it, it didn't matter if Serena won or loose, it was a great match and that's what counted (for me)

What I like the most is to see excellent matches, and the Nš1 player in the world included in them also. This is just my opinion, but I think it's quite valid if you get to see things from other points of view.

Joaco

Gandalf
Mar 30th, 2003, 05:08 PM
Actually, I'm not a bit a Serena fan, but I think her domination is good for tennis. It attracts new viewers, it makes news, and it puts tennis in the spotlight. All that is good for the sport. I can understand that tennis fans don't enjoy it, but for advertisers and TV ratings I think it is good.

tennisIlove09
Mar 30th, 2003, 07:23 PM
I think it's a good thing and a bad thing. Obviously for the sport itself, it's good. I think having 1 player dominate increases fan base. [Interesting sidefact: www.Sportsnet.ca is running a poll on their front page: Who is the most Dominating figure in their sport? Serena was leading when I voted--over Tiger, Annika, Koby]

But for me as a fan, it gets boring watching the same person win. This week in Miami, I forgot to even tape the finals :o

brickhousesupporter
Mar 30th, 2003, 07:30 PM
I think it's a good thing and a bad thing. Obviously for the sport itself, it's good. I think having 1 player dominate increases fan base. [Interesting sidefact: www.Sportsnet.ca is running a poll on their front page: Who is the most Dominating figure in their sport? Serena was leading when I voted--over Tiger, Annika, Koby]

But for me as a fan, it gets boring watching the same person win. This week in Miami, I forgot to even tape the finals :o

That because Venus was not in it? :wavey:

selesfan
Mar 30th, 2003, 07:35 PM
I'm enjoying it, Serena is fun to watch, I love her game. :)

tennisIlove09
Mar 30th, 2003, 07:36 PM
That because Venus was not in it? :wavey:

Um no. I have only seen 1 full Slam final in the last year :o I've only seen part of WB and AO. None of the US. :wavey:

Mrs. Peel
Mar 30th, 2003, 07:38 PM
you don't read very well Joaco! lmao

E. Blackadder
Mar 30th, 2003, 07:39 PM
no

Seles_Beckham
Mar 30th, 2003, 07:40 PM
I just have one question is it 17-0 or 17-1

look at yahoo.

WTA Record: 17-1
Hardcourt: 17-1 Clay: 0-0
Carpet: 0-0 Grass: 0-0

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tournaments Won in 2003: Nasdaq 100 Open, Australian Open, Open Gaz de France

Australian Open
Jan 12-Jan 26 Hard First Round Emilie Loit W 3-6, 7-6 (7-5), 7-5
Second Round Els Callens W 6-4, 6-0
Third Round Tamarine Tanasugarn W 6-1, 6-1
Fourth Round Eleni Daniilidou W 6-4, 6-1
Quarterfinals Meghann Shaughnessy W 6-2, 6-2
Semifinals Kim Clijsters W 4-6, 6-3, 7-5
Final Venus Williams W 7-6 (7-4), 3-6, 6-4

Open Gaz de France
Feb 3-Feb 9 Hard Second Round Myriam Casanova W 6-0, 6-4
Quarterfinals Janette Husarova W 6-3, 6-3
Semifinals Eleni Daniilidou W 6-2, 6-0
Final Amelie Mauresmo W 6-3, 6-2

State Farm Classic
Feb 24-Mar 2 Hard Second Round Alexandra Stevenson L walkover :confused:

Nasdaq 100 Open
Mar 17-Mar 30 Hard Second Round Francesca Schiavone W 7-5, 6-1
Third Round Tatiana Panova W 6-2, 6-1
Fourth Round Iroda Tulyaganova W 6-0, 6-4
Quarterfinals Marion Bartoli W 6-1, 6-2
Semifinals Kim Clijsters W 6-4, 6-2
Final Jennifer Capriati W 4-6, 6-4, 6-1

tennisIlove09
Mar 30th, 2003, 07:42 PM
I just have one question is it 17-0 or 17-1

look at yahoo.

WTA Record: 17-1
Hardcourt: 17-1 Clay: 0-0
Carpet: 0-0 Grass: 0-0

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tournaments Won in 2003: Nasdaq 100 Open, Australian Open, Open Gaz de France

Australian Open
Jan 12-Jan 26 Hard First Round Emilie Loit W 3-6, 7-6 (7-5), 7-5
Second Round Els Callens W 6-4, 6-0
Third Round Tamarine Tanasugarn W 6-1, 6-1
Fourth Round Eleni Daniilidou W 6-4, 6-1
Quarterfinals Meghann Shaughnessy W 6-2, 6-2
Semifinals Kim Clijsters W 4-6, 6-3, 7-5
Final Venus Williams W 7-6 (7-4), 3-6, 6-4

Open Gaz de France
Feb 3-Feb 9 Hard Second Round Myriam Casanova W 6-0, 6-4
Quarterfinals Janette Husarova W 6-3, 6-3
Semifinals Eleni Daniilidou W 6-2, 6-0
Final Amelie Mauresmo W 6-3, 6-2

State Farm Classic
Feb 24-Mar 2 Hard Second Round Alexandra Stevenson L walkover :confused:

Nasdaq 100 Open
Mar 17-Mar 30 Hard Second Round Francesca Schiavone W 7-5, 6-1
Third Round Tatiana Panova W 6-2, 6-1
Fourth Round Iroda Tulyaganova W 6-0, 6-4
Quarterfinals Marion Bartoli W 6-1, 6-2
Semifinals Kim Clijsters W 6-4, 6-2
Final Jennifer Capriati W 4-6, 6-4, 6-1

17-0 Walkovers DON'T count--and A lucky loser replaced her in the draw

selesfan
Mar 30th, 2003, 07:43 PM
She has 0 losses, a lucky loser took her place at Scottsdale against Alex.

Seles_Beckham
Mar 30th, 2003, 07:43 PM
thank you tennisIlove09

so on yahoo.com they are wrong.

harloo
Mar 30th, 2003, 07:56 PM
I love her domination. When Vee was dominating I loved it also, even though Rena is dominating even more now. I guess since I'm a fan of the sisters it doesn't bother me. But I can see what Joaco is saying. But I bet if it was Lindsay he/she would love her domination.

I love to see battles, but as long as my fave wins. If my faves are knocked out of a tournament I still watch other matches. So, I do want my faves to be challenged, but they can't help it if they are that good.
Serena's domination won't last forever either, we all know that she will end up being upset in one of her matches this year. So, I say Serena has worked very hard, and should not be criticized for her dominance. Fans of women's tennis are so critical when it comes to that, but rarely do we hear anything when it comes to Pete, or Andre, and even Capriati's brief rise of possible domination. Makes me wonder. :rolleyes:

SJW
Mar 30th, 2003, 08:07 PM
i can understand why people dont like her
i can also understand why people hate the domination (man i fucking hated it when Manchester United dominated and hoped for them to be beaten all the time

but the fact is, shes probably the most amazing player since early Monica Seles (i would like to say better but im not in a position to judge that)

i watch tennis when shes not playing...i love watching tennis full stop. IW was ok up to Martinez getting to the semis. and i love all the indoor tourneys when she goes AWOL

i just also love watching her play :) cant get enough of it

Infiniti2001
Mar 30th, 2003, 08:15 PM
While it pains me to see her at the top <cough cough> I think it's absolutely wonderful for reasons I do not wish to discuss at this moment ;) Everyone has their time in the sun- it's her's now ,so let her enjoy it :sad:

harloo
Mar 30th, 2003, 08:20 PM
:D While it pains me to see her at the top <cough cough> :sad:

would that be because Venus isn't #1? ;)

Serendy Willick
Mar 30th, 2003, 08:22 PM
Serena deserves anything that comes her way. She has had to work very hard and improve mentally and physically to get to where she is today. I hope for more championships to come.

beauty_is_pink
Mar 30th, 2003, 08:23 PM
meh.. for me.. im tired of watching an all-Williams finals.. dont get me wrong.. they're an awesome tennis players.. they deserve to be #1 and #2 in the world.. they're TOTALLY dominating the game of tennis.. but sometimes its too much.. i wanna see other players reach the finals too ya kno.

vs1
Mar 30th, 2003, 08:36 PM
I believe this is about a Serena Williams domination, not about an all-Williams final.

I think that a Serena Williams domination makes it very interesting for tennis at large. Perhaps for hardcore tennis fans who are very dedicated to their faves, it may make it frustrating to see Serena dominate the H2Hs. But for tennis, dominant figures have ALWAYS marked the greatness of the sport. BJK, Martina N., Monica, Stefi, Serena. It's good for tennis! And Serena makes a great embassador for tennis. She is charismatic, flashy, enjoys the spotlight, does A LOT of publicity, is well-spoken, and is a good role model. She is the living "American Dream," and also sends important messages to the general public about goals, education, philantropy and excellence. People who know nothing about tennis know Serena, in a positive light. And there's NO WAY that can be bad for tennis.

Personally I love the Serena domination. It is sport at its best. The best should always come out on top. It motivates us to be at our best, always.

GO SERENA!!! :hearts: :worship: :angel:

Ryan
Mar 30th, 2003, 08:38 PM
I hate Serena dominating. It is extremely good for the Sport however.

VS Fan
Mar 30th, 2003, 08:42 PM
Well Jen made it to the final of NASDAQ, this year even though both Venus and Serena were playing. Does that help???

aisha
Mar 30th, 2003, 08:46 PM
HELL YEAH!

Personally, I couldn't stand when these chicks couldn't beat Steffi Graf while Monica was out. It wasn't Steffi's fault but those other chicks were not as fit or powerful as Steffi. That was boring 'cause you knew she would not faulter, her competition would.
And when Hingis was on top, I didn't think she was bad for tennis - despite her snippy attitude toward her competitors.
Now I have a favorite who is finally dominating and I'm basking in all her glory and dominance. Now I know what Graf's, Seles' and Hingis' fans felt like.
Hopefully this will inspire Venus and they can give us the classic matchup we've been expecting. :) Don't over look Vee! :worship:

selesfan87
Mar 30th, 2003, 08:57 PM
Theres two sides to this. In my opinion, it is good and bad for the sport. Serena is dominating, and its very exciting to watch her play, because when she loses (which is rare but does happen like in LA last year at the Sanex Champs) it makes the victory more exciting. It keeps you on the edge of your seat when a Williams' sister is on the brink of losing (like when Venus lost to Shaugnessy.)
But also, it can be really boring. You know exactly whos going to be in the Semis and the finals of a slam, and whos going to be winning it 9 times out of 10.

SJW
Mar 30th, 2003, 08:58 PM
harloo you know it ;)

Venus fans get sicker by the day ;)

joaco
Mar 30th, 2003, 10:17 PM
you don't read very well Joaco! lmao
Yeah, sorry guys! I got mixed up..... maybe I should save it for another thread ;)

Anyway, answering your question (objectively) I believe it's good for the sport. I mean the only female player my friends know is Serena Williams and they know she's won all four GS. Luckily she draws attention to the sport, so that is a good things afterall.

Sorry again,
joaco

SerialKiller#69
Mar 31st, 2003, 01:04 PM
serena is good for the sport when it comes to the quality of game that she brings out of women's tennis. plus the serena-venus rivalry (supposedly though one can argue...) is getting better and better.

starr
Mar 31st, 2003, 01:26 PM
Personally, I'm not getting a kick out of Serena dominating, but I don't think it hurts tennis. I think may even help tennis in the sense that it brings in people to watch and to play who may never have been interested in tennis before, but become fans. The more the better.

Women's tennis has generally been dominated by one player after another for either longer or shorter periods of time. Graf's period of domination was a snooze fest. Ditto Navratilova and Evert. But, the inbetween times are interesting. So, the only interest for me is... has another long snooze fest begun, or will it pass quickly.

Serena could do something historical this year though. She could win the Grand Slam while being the title holder of all the slams. I don't think that has been done before... 7 slams in a row. Does anyone know for sure?

starr
Mar 31st, 2003, 01:27 PM
I wouldn't mind if she labled THAT feat a "Serena Slam." :)

doloresc
Mar 31st, 2003, 01:40 PM
i'm not really enjoying serena's domination because venus, my favorite, has been eclipsed, and i don't like seeing that. it's not really good for the sport but it wasn't good for the sport when hingis dominated in 1997, when graf dominated in '88-'89 and '95-'96, and evert and navratilova dominated in the 80's. however, that's the reality. someone always has to dominate because that's been the history of tennis and most other sports. i'll be overjoyed for tennis the day that these patterns are broken.

bandabou
Apr 1st, 2003, 02:38 PM
Serena's domination is good for the game. She's everywhere right now! Acting, modelling,etc....plus her game is topotch! Fans like to see her play. Her matches are entertaining, she gives a fun interview most of the time, so the game is in good hands! Scarier is that she still can get better!!