PDA

View Full Version : My Saturday Qualifying Report

Meesh
Mar 30th, 2003, 01:28 AM
I had a great time! To attend the most unorganized WTA tournament is such a pleasure!

Got there right at 10am and headed for Aniko Kapros vs. Alicia Molik

Little did I know but I was sitting right next to Aniko's parents and I was cheering for Molik :eek: Oppps, once I realized it I didn't clap for either and just stayed quiet. Her mom rocks in her seat... back and forth , back and forth. Her dad was cheering her on in English and then saying some other stuff in Hungarian. Anika had a 5-4 lead and was serving for the first set and Alicia broke her and took the set 7-5 and next set 6-4. Aniko's serve is weird, it's not fluid she kind of stops once she brings the racket back. It's just something you have to see. Her second serve is really bad!

After that I went to the Nadia petrova vs. Julia Vakulenko.

I should of sat next to Julia's family cuz they were rather chatty w/ the spectators around them. I sat two rows up from them. No one was between us but I thought it would be rude to sit right there with them in an empty court! Her mom is very attractive but she was wearing a pink cordourroy jacket in this florida heat. In between one game she ran to the club house and got a towel to put over her legs. Her sister was there, and some other lady and man. Not sure if it's her dad but he wears a lot of gold! and he was wearing a short sleeve sweater! insane! ........... ok now to tennis

I got there when it was 6-2 4-3 Julia won the next two games easily. I thought she was going to keep the momentum going but she was broken in the first game 3rd set w/ a DF :( That game went to deuce 3 times! Julia finally held at 4-2 (Petrova) that game went to duece as well! At 5-3 in the third Nadia had the chair person get off the chair twice to check lines. Final was 6-2 3-6 6-4 Petrova
Sometime during the match a coach came to sit w/ her parents. One of the ladies said "well Christian what do we do next?" I didn't stay for the answer.

Then I headed back to watch Bammer vs Bartoli and was shocked to see it was going soo fast. Mariam was up 6-1. She stands about 2 feet inside the baseline to receive! I couldn't believe it! She also uses a two handed forehand. She is pretty fast. I've never seen her opponent. Does she have a baby? There was a baby sleeping in a carriage under a tree and the guy that was speaking to her in foreign language was cheering her on and running to check this kid. It was strange! Anyways.. I took a pic of Marion for someone. Her serve isn't that good.

Then I headed over to see the first 3 games of Lucic. she had a lot of family/friends in this one tented area above the grand stand that was cheering her on. She won the first 3 games. It took about 30 minutes. I think she used the towel after every game. She looks great. I know some have said she is out of shape but she is not! She is in great shape and was not winded after long rallies. Her serve is huge! She didn't get a lot of her first serves in when I saw her but when they did go in they were too much for Marissa. She has a very long ritual before each serve! She jogs a little in place, then bounces the ball forever! Lucic talked to me and these ladies during the match. After this one game she was telling us "that one, that one was out". We just smiled and agreed. That was the hottest place! Stadium court. The other courts have tree's around them for shade!!! So I left and went to Foretz vs Pelletier. I had no idea which one was Foretz!

Foretz and Peletier had the same outfit on ... I got there at 7-5 5-2 Foretz was serving and she had 3 DOUBLE FAULTS yikes Marie Evie won 7-5 6-4

I saw sooo many players watching the matches or walking around and they all looked familiar but I couldn't remember their names!

Els was talking to the same coach as Julia's... He was giving her tips... he was making motions w/ the racket. She looked tired and over him. I took a picture of her opponent... she wore shorts that were rolled down and the shorts were white and she was wearing blue underwear that wasn't covering all of her ass! It was like she was playing in practice or something. Very strange, didn't see that match. Just caught them as they were leaving!

Then, last match!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lina vs. Liliah (the only match I really wanted to see today)

Lina either hit the ball into the net or hit the ball too long! They rarely held serve in the first set. (Julia's family was there)
Lina toss's the ball soooo high!!!!!!!! And I didn't know she has black hair! I thought she was blonde!
This match was all in the shade for the players. Plus a cool breeze. They both seemed soo winded after rallies especially Lina. She was coughing after long rallies. Lina called for a trainer when she was up 6-5. One of the many ushers that were sitting w/ me in the stands said it was probably a blister. They didn't tape anything but she had her socks and shoe off on one foot. I think it was the right.
Lina won the tie break 7-2 and then the second set w/ 6-3 One of them finally held serve!

There was one match left and I was going to leave and decided to see what was going on. It was supposed to be sequera vs. Viern but they only had Sequera's name up there... the score was tied one set each and I left 7-5 1-6
Julia and her mom came up next to me to find someone that works there cuz her brother was a ball boy and had been out there all day and they wanted to take him home. They couldn't find a replacement so they just left the kid there... he seemed fine. He saw them and didn't say anything....

I finally left, and Lina K was walking out w/ me! It's soo weird to see the players walking around.

They had posters for sale... I didn't buy one.. they had pictures (all the same size) of Dokic , Panova, Patty S. , Mary Pierce and one other Russian.. not Anna... I forget ... it was Elena D. either... Maybe Petrova or Elena L???? not Myskina either.. oh well..........

jirobkk
Mar 30th, 2003, 01:35 AM
Thank you Meesh :hearts: for a wonderful tournament report.

BTW, Did you see Tamarine Tanasugarn ?

Jordan.
Mar 30th, 2003, 01:45 AM
Thanks Meesh!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Meesh
Mar 30th, 2003, 01:48 AM
Now that I look at the players guide I think I did see Tamarine leaving a practice court. I hardly got to see any practice court action since there were soo many matches going on. I wish I could remember who was on that poster. It wasn't Elena D.... There is no mention of Anna in the players guide either but they also don't have Myskina listed in the guide. They do have Bovina listed.

mala18
Mar 30th, 2003, 02:03 AM
thank you!!! :worship: :worship:

TheBoiledEgg
Mar 30th, 2003, 02:11 AM
thanx Meesh for the report

Lina's natural color is blonde but she is forever dying her hair.
Not a good day for Lina it seems but she won is all that matters.
normally takes her a few matches to get into groove, gets better into a long sequence of events.

and Sybille Bammer does have a baby :)

Lee-Waters' Boy
Mar 30th, 2003, 02:11 AM
Great report...
You got a pic of Bethanie Mattek? I think she played Callens!! Are you going to post it?

Also, are you going tomorrow?

Sharapova's_Boy
Mar 30th, 2003, 02:14 AM
Thanks! :)

Meesh
Mar 30th, 2003, 02:15 AM
Yes, I got a pic of Bethanie and one of Els I think. I'll develop and have them up on Monday or Tuesday.

I won't be going tomorrow :( I made other commitments and already got out of todays commitments.

Shooter
Mar 30th, 2003, 04:19 AM
Thanks for posting all that information. Wish you were going tomorrow. Looking forward to your pictures.

http://www.mfwweb.com/tennis/Shooter.jpg

lin
Mar 30th, 2003, 05:00 AM
thanks for the report :)

rated_next
Mar 30th, 2003, 06:18 AM

Elleke
Mar 30th, 2003, 06:40 AM
thanks! :wavey:

Varissle
Mar 30th, 2003, 06:55 AM
Thanks meesh, well done :)

V.Melb
Mar 30th, 2003, 07:01 AM
Reports are always much appreciated. :)

Xian
Mar 30th, 2003, 09:25 AM
well at least Sybille won a set ;)

vutt
Mar 30th, 2003, 09:50 AM
Thanks :worship: and looking forward to see your reports next week to...

Experimentee
Mar 30th, 2003, 12:19 PM
Lina's had black hair since the Australian Open at least, when i saw her there i didnt recognise her at first because of her hair!

King Aaron
Mar 30th, 2003, 02:59 PM
Thanks Meesh. :D

I think Lina had black hair at last years Toyota Princess Cup as well.

bbypk
Mar 30th, 2003, 09:37 PM
Thanks!!! :wavey: