PDA

View Full Version : Saturday nasdaq report JenCap/Serena

Mark43
Mar 30th, 2003, 12:50 AM
I had to report to the park for my final box seat ushering (which i could give a shit about cause my jenCap was playing!) at 9am this morning. I was totally exhausted from working both the day and night session yesterday. On top of it, when I got home last night I told my partner, Mike, that I was going to get him into the box seats for the final. It is great being a graphic designer and a Photoshop pro. I scanned my ID credential and replaced my picture with Mike's. Then I changed the name to Mike Banks and printed out the new credential on a glossy, thick Epson photo paper.... and viola, a new credential! Mike sat in my box seats all afternoon and got free parking and a shuttle to the park (around a $225 savings...thank you Adobe!!!).

Jennifer and Serena took the court a little before 11am and they both looked marvelous. Jen came out on fire and I swear she only hit about 4 unforced errors in the first set. Listen, you have to see these two play one another in person. it is a whole different experience than TV viewing (duh). They force one another to raise the level of their games. Mike said it was the most amazing thing he has ever seen live, since he was so close up.

I thought, perhaps, Jen cap could make a comeback in the second set when she was down 4-0 (since it was very Aussie Open conditions). When she did come back to 5-4, I felt she had a great chance if she believed in herself. That 5-4 game was really the end of the match. I am not sure how many deuce/ads there were, but it seemed to go on for about 15 mins. When Serena won that game and the second set I knew it was all over. Serena raised her level and Jen was flat in the third. Honestly I think jen needs to approach more off solid groundies and for gods sake make Serena RUN more and hit more ANGLES please!!!

I felt bad for Jen. Funny thing is...whenever I watch Jen/Serena play I always get depressed afterwards (post Wimbledon 2001). Yet, when you watch a wonderful, dramatic match like this in person, AND your faves loses, you simply say, "what an awesome match and Kudos to Serena, better luck next time Jen!" I think it is all the endorphins. Also Tv makes you so seperated from the whole human element.

Anyways, what a f*cking WONDERFUL end to the women's draw. I am so thrilled to have witnessed it up close. I can proudly say I saw each and everyone of Jen's matches and had THE TIME OF MY LIFE!!!!

Plus I got to share it with my partner for free, so I felt like such a sneak (damn the ticket Nazi's!).

As the Agassi match was starting I saw steffi and her mom enter the 200 level players suite, so I immediately ran over to that gate to get a good gander at Miss Graf one last time up close. She looked lovely close up as usual!!

Agassi/Costa was a let down after Jen/Serena. Andre finished the job quickly and I hope he wins tomorrow. I don't feel like going.

I went to the volunteer party afterward (and I am a little buzzed right now....oops!) in hopes of winning the cherished box seats they offered as a raffel prize. Well, it turns out the stinking seats are only for one night (the first thursday, before ANY SEEDED players begin) and when I heard that i promptly bid the tournament adieu.

So long, it was great to share my excitement with you all.

I really did have the time of my life.
(sorry no pics today...volunteers are prohibited from taking pics...blah blah blah!)

marsha
Mar 30th, 2003, 01:08 AM
Thanks for the report. Mark -- I *love* the creativity you used on the credential replication - glad you had a great time. Hopefully I will be coming to Miami next year again -- I agree with you, there is *nothing* like seeing the players play LIVE! But, unlike you, my very favorite days are the qualie days. Anyway, hope to see you next year.

c2
Mar 30th, 2003, 01:44 AM
awesome mark... I'm glad you had fun :) thanks for the reports--they really bring the tournament to life!

kazzmazz
Mar 30th, 2003, 02:04 AM
Thanks Mark! Sounds great! And I'm VERY impressed with your fraudulent activities! :D

I really hope that I one day get to see a Jen/Serena match in person. It's so damn impressive on TV, I can only imagine what it must be like in person. Hands-down the best match-up in women's tennis these days.

Hendouble
Mar 30th, 2003, 03:02 PM
I promised myself that I wouldn't be one of those pathetic people who corrects the spelling errors of others, but I should point out that it's "voila", not "viola", which is an altogether different magical trick involving mastery of a musical instrument.

King Aaron
Mar 30th, 2003, 03:29 PM
Thanks a lot Mark. Your reports for the entire tournament has been a blast! :) I agree with marsha and kazzmazz that your creativity in commiting a fraud was great ;).

As for seeing matches live, I hope to be able to go to a tennis tournament one day regardless of where, when and who is playing. :)