PDA

View Full Version : How do you rank your Russians?

Gowza
Mar 29th, 2003, 01:26 AM
there are to many and the one i like i like just as much as each other.

i have to say that petrova was my fav but since her comeback i haven't liked her as much as the other young russians.

the list is long:

myskina
bovina
dementieva
panova
zvonareva
kuznetsova
likhovtseva
safina
kournikova
jidkova
rodionova
kirilenko
douchevina

and the youngsters who are trying to move up the ranks but seem to be having trouble: bastrikova, linetskaya, afinogenova, bratchikova.

at the moment i have to put them in groups other wise i can't pick my favs.

there is the veterens group with panova and likhovtseva.

there is the the group that has been around but are still quite young such as dementieva, kournikova, petrova, myskina, bovina.

then there is the young group of zvonareva, kuznetsova, douchevina, kirilenko, safina, sharapova, linetskaya, afinogenova, bastrikova, bratchikova and the other young players.

then there is the struggling group of voskoboeva and fokina who have talent but can't quite get to there destination.

how do you rank the russians in-terms of your fav. i personally like the young players and for me that is 21 and under and 22 at a stretch. so whn i am asked to rank my favs i have some trouble. i don't want to go for sharapova or douchevina because they haven't played much (same with linetskaya, bastrikova, bratchikova, afinogenova, kirilenko). but i don't really truly follow the veterens in panova or likhovtseva so i don't name them. fokina and voskoboeva can't seem to reach anywhere near where their talent lies so i don't give it to them. so it comes down to kuznetsova, zvonareva, bovina, myskina, kournikova, petrova and dementieva. kournikova and petrova have disappointed me since there injuries so i don't put them down and with dementieva, myskina and bovina it is like a rollacoaster ride (you never know when they will play well or when the will lose early). so it usually comes down to zvonareva and kuznetsova. both are a bit inconsistent but zvonareva hasn't won a title although she is ranked higher so i usually pick kuznetsova. but then i tell myself that i want players like bastrikova, linetskaya, kirilenko, bratchikova and afinogenova to just as well so i end up going in circles.

should i rank them on their talent? should i rank them on what they have achieved. do i take injuries into account? what if some of them are late bloomers? i can't really make a decision on them now if they do.

anyway this got a bit to long. basically i would just like to know who are your favs and why you like them compared to the others.

auntie janie
Mar 29th, 2003, 01:41 AM
1 -Bovina :hearts:
2,3 -Krasnoroutskaya & Myskina tied :hearts: :hearts:
4,5 -Douchevina & Kuznetsova tied :hearts: :hearts:

I have never been a big fan of athletes with serious headcase issues, so next in line after this would be ALL of the 17-and-under players, who are far too young to be called headcases yet, and then Vera Z; then Elena L & Tatiana Panova -- though always secretly hoping Elena D. will suddenly burst forth & win that elusive first title! :D

I too used to think of Nadia as one of my top 3 or 4 Russians, but she is too old now to be carrying on with these ridiculous temper tantrums on court :o :( , so she has dropped down on my list too, though I always wish the best for her. :cool:

Leena
Mar 29th, 2003, 01:46 AM
1. Duh...
2. Dementieva
3. Alina Jidkova
4. Safina
5. Myskina
6. Likhovtseva

I like all the Russian girls, except one. :)

GBFH
Mar 29th, 2003, 01:57 AM
1. Kournikova
2. Safina
3. everyone else

auntie janie
Mar 29th, 2003, 01:58 AM
I like all the Russian girls, except one. :)

I like all but one, too, Leena, but is it the same one as yours? Without naming names, does yours issue a bikini calendar every year? ;)

Leena
Mar 29th, 2003, 02:00 AM
I think so... I don't keep up with the bikini scene... until Lena starts posing in them :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

LeonHart
Mar 29th, 2003, 02:08 AM
Vera hasn't won a title yet, but she's my #1 :hearts:

2. Bovina
3. Kuznetsova
4. Douchevina she's only 4 days older than me :hearts:
5. the young guns (safina, sharapova, kirilenko ect.)
6. myskina, panova

Gowza
Mar 29th, 2003, 02:11 AM
LeonHart, thanks for correcting me. i meant to write hasn't but left off the rest. i just edited it.

Leena
Mar 29th, 2003, 02:17 AM
I keep thinking of Lena in a bikini now... :hearts::hearts: Soooo pretty... if I could only look like her...

Anyway... a Russian I do not like is Gulnara Fattakhetdinova... because I can never spell her name right. :fiery:

LeonHart
Mar 29th, 2003, 07:00 AM
LeonHart, thanks for correcting me. i meant to write hasn't but left off the rest. i just edited it.
;) its koo. I'm like you, i like all the russians! :D I really hope they can make a splash in the future and dominate.

fresh2flash
Mar 29th, 2003, 09:04 AM
I think we discussed that question some time ago. ;)

Anyway my favs. of favs. (I have not checked the previous list so they might have changed):
1. Alyona Dementiava.
2. Vera Zvonareva.
3. Lina.
4. Nastya.
5. Nadya.

TheBoiledEgg
Mar 29th, 2003, 10:17 AM
you all know who my favs are ;)

anyway Top 5
1-Lina :)
2-Nastya :)
3-Vera D :)
4-Elena D :)
5-Nadya :)

tough choice to leave out others :sad:
Lina will always be #1 :)

snoop
Mar 29th, 2003, 10:32 AM
1 - Lina :D
2 - Elena B :D
3 - Dinara :)
4 - Elena D
5 - all other russians ;)

Roxers
Mar 29th, 2003, 10:43 AM
My list: (this is not easy ...lol)

1. Dinara :kiss:
2. Anastacia, Maria, Vera Z..all tight..
3. Svetlana, Elena B, Anna K, Lina..again..
4. Tatiana, Elena D, Elena L...and again.. :devil:
5. Nadya
6.all others....

King Aaron
Mar 29th, 2003, 03:27 PM
I rank them on looks :p, talent, results and workrate.

#1. Masha K! :hearts: :D Will always be my fave Russian!!
#2. Nadia, don't think she scores on the looks department ;) but her results prior to the injury was great and she has talent.
#3. Lena B :D What can I say? Very talented and great results.
#4. Dinara. Not bad in the looks but she resembles her brother a lot! :o She seems to be very talented but having problems with her head and three setters currently.
#5. Lina, those eyes!! :)

I do dislike only one Russian. I think she's the same person Leena and Janie are talking about ;). I do feel for her at times though.

GBFH
Mar 29th, 2003, 03:46 PM
I rank them on looks :p, talent, results and workrate.

#1. Masha K! :hearts: :D Will always be my fave Russian!!
#2. Nadia, don't think she scores on the looks department ;) but her results prior to the injury was great and she has talent.
#3. Lena B :D What can I say? Very talented and great results.
#4. Dinara. Not bad in the looks but she resembles her brother a lot! :o She seems to be very talented but having problems with her head and three setters currently.
#5. Lina, those eyes!! :)

I do dislike only one Russian. I think she's the same person Leena and Janie are talking about ;). I do feel for her at times though.

And what's so wrong with looking like Marat??? ;)

I think it goes without saying that any so-called "serious" Russian tennis fan doesn't care much for Anna.

King Aaron
Mar 30th, 2003, 04:32 PM
Haha...there's nothing wrong but maybe just a little turn-off. ;)

I've read a few articles about Ms. Kournikova just to see what the fuss is all about and she seems to be focused on her tennis. Don't know why she can't win a tournament match. :confused:

GBFH
Mar 30th, 2003, 04:46 PM
Haha...there's nothing wrong but maybe just a little turn-off. ;)

I've read a few articles about Ms. Kournikova just to see what the fuss is all about and she seems to be focused on her tennis. Don't know why she can't win a tournament match. :confused:

I see ;) But hey, she's tall, witty and has a pretty smile...what's not to like about Marat Dinara?? :)

If anyone knew that, I imagine they'd get some serious green from Ms.Kournikova :)

Leena
Mar 31st, 2003, 01:39 AM
What's wrong with looking like Marat? Every part of him is delicious! :hearts::hearts: It's too bad he's an immature jerk though. :sad:

tenn_ace
Mar 31st, 2003, 01:45 AM
1. Dinara, Vera D. , Alica K., Vassilissa B. ;)
2. Anna K., Lina, Sveta K., Lena D.
3. Nastia, Lena B., Vera Z.
3. Lena L., Tatiana P., Nadia
4. Alina J., Masha K., Zhenya Koulikovaskaya, Masha S.

GBFH
Mar 31st, 2003, 03:34 AM
What's wrong with looking like Marat? Every part of him is delicious! :hearts::hearts: It's too bad he's an immature jerk though. :sad:

What makes you call him an immature jerk??? :confused:

Leena
Mar 31st, 2003, 04:01 AM
The way Marat acts, and how mentally poor he is on the court. Plus, he always throws his racket... which is the one thing I hate most in a tennis player.

GBFH
Mar 31st, 2003, 04:10 AM
The way Marat acts, and how mentally poor he is on the court. Plus, he always throws his racket... which is the one thing I hate most in a tennis player.

Isn't it kinda potkettleblack to criticize Marat for being mentally poor when your player fizzled in her match last week? And Marat doesn't throw his racket as much as he used to...and he doesn't grunt like he's being stabbed every time he strikes the ball...well, maybe that's not such a good thing :devil:

Leena
Mar 31st, 2003, 04:53 AM
Lena doesn't blow matches because she's mentally poor... she doesn't get pissed and quit in matches, she fights even harder when she's down. The problem is she plays far too aggressively in those situations, and the errors snowball.

I will say I didn't see Marat throwing his racket when I saw him play in Indian Wells, so maybe he has improved... but I have his 1st round match at the Open against Kiefer on tape... he was literally throwing his racket every other point. Grrr... I hate that. :fiery:

GBFH
Mar 31st, 2003, 05:11 AM
I'll give the benefit of the doubt regarding Elena, as I don't follow her regularly...but what else are you going to feel when you're down? Happy? Exhilirated? Joyful? And if she plays too aggressively when she's down, isn't that a mental problem that she and her coach should work out?

The racket thing is a personal feeling, so I don't mind you not approving of it. And, as for that Kiefer match...Marat came back and won, didn't he? ;)

Not that it matters since guga destoryed him the next match...

ys
Mar 31st, 2003, 05:42 AM
I love them all. I hate it when they play each other..

Dava
Mar 31st, 2003, 07:46 AM
1> Anna Kournikova
2> Elena Dementieva
3> Vera Zvonerava
4> Elena Bovina
5> Anastacia Myskina

The others are all the same after that.

Roxers
Mar 31st, 2003, 11:27 AM
I will say I didn't see Marat throwing his racket when I saw him play in Indian Wells, so maybe he has improved... but I have his 1st round match at the Open against Kiefer on tape... he was literally throwing his racket every other point. Grrr... I hate that. :fiery:

The racket smashing is one thing that I also love about Marat :devil: Marat without racket smashing, shouting,trying to catch the ball in his pocket etc. is NO MARAT :) It is exciting...yes, sometimes it brings him out of the game but you can see that as you want, cause sometimes its also helps him to focus more after!! Anyway loos or win Marat brings a show to the crowd :hearts:

AKTW
Mar 31st, 2003, 01:18 PM
I've changed a little bit.
What is unchanged is my forever favourite-Elena! :D
#1.Elena D (always)
:hearts: :kiss:
http://www.wtatour.com/assets/story_image/Photo16_022603.jpg
(Big gap)......
#2.Anastasia Myskina :D
#3.Lina :D
#4.Maria Sharapova :) (But she's cool :cool: :o :( )
#5.Dinara(I like Dinara as well as her brother!)(Marat is my fav. ATP player) :D

King Aaron
Mar 31st, 2003, 02:30 PM
*sigh* Nothing's wrong with looking like Marat. It's just that I could visualise Marat every now and then on Dinara's face and it irks me. :o

About Lena and Marat, I don't think Lena has a mental problem. It's just inconsistency. Marat on the other hand needs to be more focus. Although I agree with Angel666, without his on-court antics it wouldn't be Marat. ;)

Leena
Mar 31st, 2003, 03:59 PM
*sigh* Nothing's wrong with looking like Marat. It's just that I could visualise Marat every now and then on Dinara's face and it irks me. :o

About Lena and Marat, I don't think Lena has a mental problem. It's just inconsistency. Marat on the other hand needs to be more focus. Although I agree with Angel666, without his on-court antics it wouldn't be Marat. ;)
I mean when her game goes down. Lena's never joyful, sad, anything when she's playing... she's only intense. That's why all 1000 pics I have of her in action are basically the same. :p

I completely agree that Lena, her coach, SOMEONE needs to teach Lena to get out of her comfort zone of just drilling everything from the baseline. I'm not saying she should play moonballs like Mandy Coetzer and run around the court... because Lena would be killed.

But when it's obvious that your big shots aren't hitting... adapt your game. Lena is an EXCELLENT volleyer, both her forehand and backhand volleys are technically perfect... and players would be terrified seeing her come to net. Learning to chip and come to net isn't a hard thing to learn... just hitting a couple slices to keep the point going isn't hard.

It would also help if she would utilize her height, and work on that serve. Just 1 or 2 free points on her serve games, would do wonders... and stop the usual 4, 5, 6 blocks of games she gives in a row.

Roxers
Mar 31st, 2003, 04:59 PM

Yes, he needs to be more focus, but that doesn`t mean he could not smash rackets then.You can also get angry and smash rackets when you are focus, its just the difference that you directly focus again after you smashed and it may also motivate you :o Well with Marat it is obviously mostly the other way around ;)

Sammm
Apr 1st, 2003, 12:15 PM
Who is the Russian everyone doesn't like??
I hope it's not Tatiana Panova!!

auntie janie
Apr 1st, 2003, 12:59 PM
Who is the Russian everyone doesn't like??
I hope it's not Tatiana Panova!!

Poor sammm! Please don't worry, it is not Tatiana. :)
It is Kournikova, but it is not really "everyone" who feels this way; she is some people's #1 favorite, so out of respect for those fans, the less said on this topic the better. :angel:

I think most fans of the Russian players do like Tatiana; it is just that they like some other players better, but most still want to see her do well. :):):)

King Aaron
Apr 1st, 2003, 02:58 PM
I mean when her game goes down. Lena's never joyful, sad, anything when she's playing... she's only intense. That's why all 1000 pics I have of her in action are basically the same. :p

I completely agree that Lena, her coach, SOMEONE needs to teach Lena to get out of her comfort zone of just drilling everything from the baseline. I'm not saying she should play moonballs like Mandy Coetzer and run around the court... because Lena would be killed.

But when it's obvious that your big shots aren't hitting... adapt your game. Lena is an EXCELLENT volleyer, both her forehand and backhand volleys are technically perfect... and players would be terrified seeing her come to net. Learning to chip and come to net isn't a hard thing to learn... just hitting a couple slices to keep the point going isn't hard.

It would also help if she would utilize her height, and work on that serve. Just 1 or 2 free points on her serve games, would do wonders... and stop the usual 4, 5, 6 blocks of games she gives in a row.
If Lena should change her game she should come into the net more often. Like you said, her volleys are great and her height makes for a wider reach. It's gonna be tough to pass her if she comes to the net more often.

She really should utilise her height for her serve. A few free points wouldn't hurt. If she doesn't want to bang it down at least get good placement like Serena's second serve.

King Aaron
Apr 1st, 2003, 02:59 PM
Yes, he needs to be more focus, but that doesn`t mean he could not smash rackets then.You can also get angry and smash rackets when you are focus, its just the difference that you directly focus again after you smashed and it may also motivate you :o Well with Marat it is obviously mostly the other way around ;)
Lol

King Aaron
Apr 1st, 2003, 03:00 PM
Poor sammm! Please don't worry, it is not Tatiana. :)
It is Kournikova, but it is not really "everyone" who feels this way; she is some people's #1 favorite, so out of respect for those fans, the less said on this topic the better. :angel:

I think most fans of the Russian players do like Tatiana; it is just that they like some other players better, but most still want to see her do well. :):):)
Yup. :)

Randy H
Apr 1st, 2003, 04:00 PM
1. Alina Jidkova :D
2. Anna Kournikova :D
3. Elena Bovina :D
4. Ekaterina Syssoeva :D
5. Katia Afinogeneva :D

Hurley
Apr 1st, 2003, 07:31 PM
1. Nastya Myskina :hearts: :kiss: :worship:
2. Lina Krasnoroutskaya :hearts: :kiss:
3. Vera Zvonareva :D
4. Anya Kournikova :D
5. Alinka Jidkova :D
6. Sveta Kuznetsova :D
7. Galya Fokina :D
8. Dina Safina :D
9. Nastya Rodionova :D
10. the kiddies -- Douchevina/Kirilenko/Sharapova ;)

Varissle
Apr 1st, 2003, 09:30 PM
from A to Z

shap_half
Apr 1st, 2003, 11:13 PM
1. Elena Bovina
2. Vera Zvonareva
3. Anastasia Myskina
4. Tatiana Panova
5. Dinara Safina