White Stripes
Mar 28th, 2003, 06:52 PM
Who will win Miami?

White Stripes
Mar 28th, 2003, 06:53 PM
I hope Jen! :worship:

bluna82
Mar 28th, 2003, 06:55 PM
I hope also jen and I think she is confident enough...so come jen..kick serena´s ass...u can make it honey :kiss:

Serendy Willick
Mar 28th, 2003, 07:03 PM
GO SERENA KICK JENNIFERS AZZ FOR A SECOND STRAGIHT YEAR!! (btw, good win Jennifer, you played very well.)

1jackson2001
Mar 28th, 2003, 07:20 PM
I'm going with the #1 player in the world. ;)

hollywood7172
Mar 28th, 2003, 07:56 PM
i'm going with the player who has beaten serena the most times in the past two years.

GO JENNIFER!!! END SERENA'S STREAK!!

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

JCAP
Mar 28th, 2003, 08:38 PM
I am prayin jen will beat her :bounce: :kiss: :bounce: Ohhh i cant wait :worship: :worship: :eek:

Dokic#1
Mar 28th, 2003, 08:46 PM
I am prayin jen will beat her :bounce: :kiss: :bounce: Ohhh i cant wait :worship: :worship: :eek:

I think allot of people will be..LOL

I honestly think Jen brings out the worst in Serena...therefore she has the best chance of beating her..

Alberto
Mar 28th, 2003, 08:52 PM
Come On Serena!!

Cybelle Darkholme
Mar 28th, 2003, 09:10 PM
SEND HER PACKING BACK HOME SERENA!!! :kiss:

Burberry
Mar 29th, 2003, 12:33 AM
Jennifer!! All The Best!!!

One of the biggest birthday presents is going to deliver in Jen's life tomorrow!!!

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

patricio
Mar 29th, 2003, 12:49 AM
If jennifer wins this, her confidence will go UPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP there...!!! We need this final, and ON her birthday!!!

Hyde'
Mar 29th, 2003, 01:47 AM
I'll root for Jen :)

lizchris
Mar 29th, 2003, 01:57 AM
Most people are hoping that Jennifer will win, but let's get real. Serena is better player of the two (the rankings prove that) and even if she is not playing her best, Jennifer will have to play better than that to beat her and if Kim Clijsters, who is ranked higher than her, couldn't do it, what makes you think she can?

Serena will win in two close sets if her serve isn't on, but if it is, look for a 6-3, 6-2 victory.

WhatTheDeuce
Mar 29th, 2003, 02:47 AM
i honestly think serena but im really hoping jennifer can pull it out...COME ON JEN!!!!

CJ07
Mar 29th, 2003, 03:23 AM
either
7-5 7-6
6-4 6-4
6-2 6-4
or 6-2 6-3
all in Renas favor

franny
Mar 29th, 2003, 03:34 AM
well, i'm really split, i think that jen has been the only player to consistently push serena to the limit and i think that eventually she will win one of these. Jen played really well today against chanda and seemed to be much more aggressive, how many winners did she hit today? like seriously, what was the number does anyone kno? anyways, i'm gonna say serena because its just stupid to bet against her these days, but i think jen has the best shot of anyone to take down serena. Good luck to both, i'm hoping for a great match!!!

BasicTennis
Mar 29th, 2003, 07:17 AM
Serena would put Jenny in her rightful place.;):worship:

LucasArg
Mar 29th, 2003, 07:37 AM
Serena!!! :wavey: :bounce: :wavey:

sperosgeorgejr
Mar 29th, 2003, 09:16 AM
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/tennis/5510898.htm

Posted on Sat, Mar. 29, 2003

Yet another comeback Capriati hitting stride again -- but undefeated Serena awaits

BY MARISSA SILVERA
msilvera@herald.com

The familiarity of Stadium Court at the Tennis Center at Crandon Park hasn't provided Jennifer Capriati with an edge when facing the Williams sisters in the finals of the Key Biscayne tournament. Capriati lost to Venus Williams in 2001 in what was then called the Ericsson Open. Last year, she lost to Serena in the first year of the NASDAQ-100 Open. Today, she will try to snap the Williamses' streak in the finals, when she faces Serena at 11 a.m. for the women's singles title. ''I figure one of these times, it's got to go my way,'' said Capriati, who turns 27 today and would like no better gift than to win this title in her 12th appearance at Key Biscayne. ``I've been in so many of those matches with her that I'm not going in there expecting it to happen, like to be so close and then I'll just get some unlucky breaks or just bad breaks.'' No. 1-ranked Serena Williams leads fifth-ranked Capriati 7-4 overall in head-to-head matches, including winning the past six meetings that date back to Toronto in 2001.

Eight of Capriati's showdowns with Serena have gone to three sets and the others included at least one tiebreaker. Last year, Capriati held the No. 1 ranking coming into the NASDAQ-100 Open women's singles finals. But she was unable to convert seven set points to force a third set and lost 7-5, 7-6 (7-4). That loss coupled with a semifinal loss at Charlotte in April cost Capriati the No. 1 ranking, which she had held for five weeks. Capriati had a difficult January to start this season. She was the No. 1 seed at Sydney and was upset in her opening match. Then at the Australian Open, where she was the defending champion, she lost in the first round. At the end of January, Capriati withdrew from the Tokyo Pan Pacific because of recurring eye problems. In November, she had undergone surgery on both eyes. Reaching the semifinals at Dubai, United Arab Emirates, in February and at Indian Wells, Calif., earlier this month, helped her regain a top 10 ranking.

''Jennifer, she's on her way back -- again,'' Serena Williams said Thursday. ``So she's doing well.'' Friday, sixth-seeded Capriati defeated Chanda Rubin 6-2, 6-4 in what she called her best match in a long time. ''She played a really good match compared to other matches I've seen from her this week,'' Rubin said about Capriati. ``She didn't make a lot of errors. There were times where she would give a few up, but I thought she played a really solid match.'' Top-seeded Williams, who is 16-0 this season, is playing in her third final in six years at Miami. ''You'd like to give the edge to Serena,'' Rubin said. ``She's confident and hasn't lost a match this year, and Jennifer hasn't beaten her the last few times.'' Said Capriati: ``If you keep trying, you know, you just finally get rewarded. Either way, I'm just happy to be in the finals anyway.''

© 2003 The Miami Herald and wire service sources. All Rights Reserved.

http://www.miami.com

sperosgeorgejr
Mar 29th, 2003, 10:43 AM
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-naswom29mar29,0,3315913.story?coll=sfla%2Dsports%2 Dheadlines

Happier Capriati in final

By Harvey Fialkov
Staff writer

March 29, 2003

KEY BISCAYNE -- In the past 27 months, Jennifer Capriati has resurrected her life and crafted one of sports all-time feel-good stories. Yet, since winning three majors and reaching No. 1, her cranky on-court behavior of constantly questioning calls has smudged the pages. And her inability to beat a Williams sister since August 2001 has deflated her rankings and ego. But this week at the Nasdaq-100 Open, Capriati has revealed a new side, a more in-touch with her inner-self philosophy, that may bode well for her during those pressure-packed moments she'll surely face in today's final at 11 against top-seeded Serena Williams. "I just see no point in just stressing myself out for no reason," the sixth-seeded Capriati said after calmly dispatching 12th-seeded Chanda Rubin 6-2, 6-4 in their rain-postponed semifinal Friday afternoon. "It's a combination of things, making changes on the outside and then also on the inside."

After a decade of treating postmatch news conferences like a police interrogation, Capriati has displayed composure and poise. "I'm trying to reflect on some things, and yeah, I'm getting older so it's like, `How do I want to live my life?' Do I want to be stressed out and take for granted everything that I'm doing, or do I just want to enjoy the time that I have now while I'm doing it?" she said. "It's my sport, so I'll try to make the best of it." Actually, it's been Serena's sport since staving off seven set points in last year's Nasdaq final victory over Capriati. She went on to defeat big sister Venus in the finals of the next four majors and is 34-1 since the U.S. Open while rising from No. 9 to an entrenched No. 1. After routing No. 3-ranked Kim Clijsters, supposedly her most dangerous challenger, in the other semifinal Thursday and not dropping a set in five matches, Serena, 21, proclaimed that no one could beat her when she's playing her best.

"And I haven't played my best yet," Williams said without a hint of false bravado. The new, softer Capriati may refrain from cursing her errant shots or tossing her racket, but she'll need much more than Dr. Phil, Oprah or EST to get the best of Williams, who is 16-0 this year. Serena holds a 7-4 edge over Capriati, including six in a row. But five of those matches have gone to three sets, with the lone exception being last year's 7-5, 7-6 (4) Nasdaq final. In the 2001 final (then the Ericsson Open), Capriati frittered away eight match points before losing to Venus 7-6 in the third. While Serena seeks an unprecedented perfect season, a serene Capriati seeks a perfect match. "I'm just going out there and try to play perfect tennis really," Capriati said. "I've come so close. If you keep trying, you just finally get rewarded. ... I figure one of these times it's got to go my way." Little went Rubin's way as the 27-year-old Louisianan doubled Capriati's errors in a sloppy first set.

Rubin, who has overcome a series of injuries to return to the top 10 for the first time since 1996, became more assertive in a tight second set as she won 12 of 18 net approaches. But serving at 3-4, a questionable baseline call went against Rubin. A sensational angled forehand pass by Capriati and a double fault achieved the decisive break. Capriati, who had 17 ground stroke winners to none for Rubin in the second set, said she won't dare emulate Clijster's surprising defensive strategy employed against Williams. "I'm not a defensive player like Kim. I can't rely on that as much, so I'm going to try to be aggressive and go for it more," she said. Usually, the chink in Capriati's armor has been her shaky second serve. Through their first five matches, Capriati has committed 24 double faults to Williams' five, while getting broken 12 times to Williams' nine. However, Williams has a whopping 131 winners to her opponent's 35.

In last year's final, Williams and Capriati combined for 97 unforced errors, but Capriati had just 19 in her semifinal, while Williams had 37. Despite Capriati turning 27 today, don't expect too many gifts from Williams. "I'll try to win," Capriati said with smile when asked about playing a final on her birthday for the first time. "If I didn't, that would be a pretty sick joke, right? ... Maybe she'll feel generous and give me a birthday present and let me win." Don't count on it.

Copyright © 2003, South Florida Sun-Sentinel

sperosgeorgejr
Mar 29th, 2003, 10:47 AM
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-naswmatch29mar29,0,6739919.story?coll=sfla%2Dsport s%2Dheadlines

WOMEN'S FINAL

March 29, 2003

SERENA WILLIAMS VS. JENNIFER CAPRIATI

SERENA WILLIAMS

Seeded: 1.

Ht/Wt: 5-11/140.

Country/residence: U.S. (Palm Beach Gardens).

2003 record: 16-0.

2003 titles: Two (Australian Open, Paris Indoors).

Best Key Biscayne: Title (2002, def. Jennifer Capriati).

Road to the final: d. Francesca Schiavone 7-5, 6-1; (25) Tatiana Panova 6-2, 6-1; Iroda Tulyaganova 6-0, 6-4; Marion Bartoli 6-1, 6-2; (3) Kim Clijsters 6-4, 6-2.

Profile: She has yet to play her best tennis, struggling too much against Bartoli's unorthodox game and committing 37 unforced errors against Clijsters. But when it all clicks together, even in short stretches, she can be deflating. She has won six in a row against Capriati, but five went three sets and the sixth was 7-5, 7-6 in last year's final.

JENNIFER CAPRIATI

Seeded: 6.

Ht/Wt: 5-9/140.

Country/residence: U.S. (Wesley Chapel).

2003 record: 11-4.

2003 titles: None.

Best Key Biscayne: Runner-up (2001 and 2002, lost to Venus Williams and Serena Williams).

Road to the final: d. Anastassia Rodionova 7-6 (3), 6-2; (31) Laura Granville 7-6 (4), 6-0; Sarah Taylor 6-1, 6-0; (23) Meghann Shaughnessy 4-6, 7-6 (5), 6-4; (12) Chanda Rubin 6-2, 6-4.

Profile: A win here gives her a 14th WTA title. But she has lost eight consecutive matches to the Williams sisters, dating back to Wimbledon in 2001. This is her third consecutive final appearance at Key Biscayne. Three times lucky? She has all the tools, and her serve has been rejuvenated this week.

Head to head: Serena leads 7-4 with the last match at the WTA Championships on carpet in Los Angeles with Serena winning the semifinal in three.

- Charles Bricker

BasicTennis
Mar 29th, 2003, 11:04 AM
With the pressure of a great Serena return, Jenny would be double fault queen once again in this match.;)

sperosgeorgejr
Mar 29th, 2003, 11:20 AM
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/tennis/sfl-sarni28mar28,0,6499709.story?coll=sfla%2Dsports%2D tennis

Nasdaq women's final goes live

by Jim Sarni
March 28, 2003

After ruining the past two women's finals in Key Biscayne, CBS is going live with this year's championship. Saturday's match airs at 11 a.m. Venus Williams outlasted Jennifer Capriati 4-6, 6-1, 7-6 in the 2001 Ericksson final. Serena Williams defeated Capriati 7-5, 7-6 in last year's Nasdaq-100 Open final. Both matches were taped by CBS, then cut and pasted into time slots that proved too small and turned into disasters for the viewer. Saturday's match has a two-hour time slot and is followed by the NCAA Division II men's basketball championship. CBS should be able to run long if needed, unlike last year when it had Final Four programming it couldn't ignore. The Final Four is a week later this year, which helps the women but hurts the men. Sunday's men's final, which also starts at 11 a.m., is being taped and aired from noon-2 p.m., which likely will mean an edited telecast. CBS has a Road to The Final Four special scheduled for 2 p.m., followed by a regional final.

The Nasdaq-100 Open is the biggest tennis tournament after the Grand Slams, but it receives terrible TV treatment in college basketball-mad March. ESPN, which has cable coverage, and CBS have little time for tennis. ESPN has shown live afternoon tennis but tapes the night matches. Playing the finals at 11 a.m. isn't fair to the players or the fans, but television rules. Tournaments will take network coverage whenever they can get it. The same thing happened at Indian Wells two weeks ago. The men's final was scheduled at 9 a.m. PST for CBS, which had conference tournament games to fill out the afternoon.

Jim Sarni can be reached at jsarni@sun-sentinel.com

Whatzup
Mar 29th, 2003, 12:07 PM
I think Serena, but I really hope Jenny can win! :D

Roxers
Mar 29th, 2003, 01:20 PM
Serena will win :D :D :D

sperosgeorgejr
Mar 29th, 2003, 01:24 PM
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/auto/epaper/editions/saturday/sports_e358325d865f91130016.html

Familiar territory

By Karen Crouse, Palm Beach Post Staff Writer
Saturday, March 29, 2003

KEY BISCAYNE -- Tennis players talk about their matches as if they're fingerprints. They'll say each one is different. They'll swear this is so even when the place and the opponent strikes deja vu in the minds of others. Jennifer Capriati and Serena Williams will meet in the final of the Nasdaq-100 Open today in a repeat of the 2002 championship won by Williams in an upset in two taut sets. The two Floridians have faced each other 11 times, with Williams prevailing the past six meetings dating to the summer of 2001. The underdog label now is affixed -- like the bull's-eye once was -- to Capriati, the No. 5 seed. She'll need a long reach and a short memory to run down the No. 1-ranked Williams, who is 16-0 this year. "I'm just going to go out there and try to play perfect tennis, really," said Capriati, the last No. 1 not named Williams. She held the top spot at this time last year; Serena was No. 9. "It's like if you keep trying, you know, you just finally get rewarded.

I figure one of these times it's got to go my way." The last segment of Capriati's road to the final proved surprisingly bump-free. She dispatched Chanda Rubin, who had dropped only 18 games in her first four matches here, 6-2, 6-4 Friday in a semifinal that was long on declarations if not drama. With every clean forehand Capriati struck -- 19 of her 27 winners came from that side -- she seemed to be screaming, "I'm baaaaack." "Yeah, well, we'll see how it plays out in the finals when the stakes are high and it's the last match," Capriati said. Capriati's year got off to a slow start as she recovered from eye surgery for sun spots. She turns 27 today. The way Capriati sees it, what better way to celebrate than by winning her 14th WTA singles title? "I think today really was the best match (I've played) in a long time," said Capriati, who then did something out of character. She smiled. It was not a facial tic. Capriati has appeared visibly more relaxed this week. Happy, even.

She claims to be mellowing with age. "I just see no point in stressing myself out for no reason," she said. "I mean, I'm getting older so it's like, do I want to be stressed out and take for granted everything that I'm doing or do I just want to enjoy the time that I have now?" Her conclusion? "It's my sport," she said. "so I'll just try to make the best of it." At the moment, women's tennis belongs to Serena Williams. Today Capriati will try to take back what was once hers.

karen_crouse@pbpost.com

Copyright © 2003, The Palm Beach Post. All rights reserved.

Rae Q.
Mar 29th, 2003, 02:05 PM
SERENA (I hope)

http://uselessgraphics.com/chrl17.gif

sperosgeorgejr
Mar 29th, 2003, 02:09 PM
http://www.nasdaq-100open.com/news/pr/news20444.html

Serena-Capriati Final

By Richard Evans

Two young ladies who settled in Florida from opposite ends of the compass will meet in the NASDAQ-100 Open women?s final here Saturday. Serena Williams, whose family moved east from Los Angeles, and Jennifer Capriati, whose Italian father spent time in Spain before emigrating to the United States, will meet for the 12th time in their disparate careers. Both will have rapturous support from the 14,000 at Crandon Park and there are compelling reasons to cheer for both players. Serena is one of the great super stars of world sport. In January the youngest of the five Williams sisters won her fourth consecutive Grand Slam title in Australia and, to many experts, looks unbeatable. One of her closest rivals, Kim Clijsters, was swept aside in the semi-final here and Serena will go into today?s match confident in the knowledge that she has beaten Capriati on the last five occasions they have met. Overall their record stands at 7-4 in Serena?s favor. So does she feel unbeatable?

"Yeah, I feel it is pretty difficult to beat me,? she admitted. ?If I?m playing my best tennis I don?t think anyone can beat me right now. But I haven?t played my best this week.? That is a chilling thought for Capriati who lost in last year?s final to Williams 7-5, 7-6. A victory would leave her overjoyed for two reasons. Firstly she has never won this title in what she considers her home tournament and, secondly Saturday is her 27th birthday. Jennifer has never played a final on her birthday before and no one needs to ask what present she would like best.

Copyright © 2002 - 2003 NASDAQ-100 Open. All rights reserved.

sperosgeorgejr
Mar 29th, 2003, 04:02 PM
http://www.reuters.com/printerFriendlyPopup.jhtml?type=sportsNews&storyID=2468857

Capriati Sets Up Final Re-Match with Serena

Fri March 28, 2003 04:38 PM ET

By Richard Luscombe

MIAMI (Reuters) -- Jennifer Capriati swept past Chanda Rubin 6-2, 6-4 to storm into Saturday's Nasdaq-100 Open final, where she will be hoping to celebrate her 27th birthday with victory over world number one Serena Williams. Sixth seed Capriati wasted little time in winning her rain-delayed semi-final on Friday to set up a re-match of last year's title match, which Williams won in straight sets. It was a controlled display of aggression by Miami resident Capriati. "I knew she wasn't going to give it to me easily. She tried to come in more but my level was pretty high through the whole match. Today was my best match of the year, probably," said Capriati. She had lost her previous two matches to the 10th ranked Rubin but found her range well in a 73-minute victory. Despite dropping her serve in the opening game, Capriati overwhelmed her fellow American with her powerful backhand and took the first set when Rubin hit a weak forehand into the net.

Rubin began the second set more strongly and held a 3-1 lead, but the advantage was only temporary as Capriati hit back with breaks in the sixth and eighth games.

PACY BACKHAND

Rubin leveled the match in the following game but could not hold her next serve, Capriati setting up two match points with a forehand winner and closing victory with a pacy backhand that Rubin misfired into the crowd. Following her sixth career defeat by Capriati, Rubin said: "I would have liked to have hit the ball better today but Jennifer was very strong. "Her backhand is very solid, it's her bread and butter shot, and there weren't many places I could go. "I just needed to pressure her a bit more but I wasn't able to." But Capriati will have her task cut out in the final against Williams, who holds all four grand slam titles and has a 16-0 win-loss record in 2003. Capriati has lost their previous six meetings, including last year's final here on a tiebreak, 7-5, 7-6. "I figure one of these times it's got to go my way," Capriati said. "I've been in so many of these matches with her now, I'm not just going in there expecting it to happen...

hopefully I can hold up on my serve just so that puts less pressure on me. "I'll just try to win... if I didn't, on my birthday, that would be a pretty sick joke, right?" Williams reached the final on Thursday with a 6-4, 6-2 win over Belgian third seed Kim Clijsters.

Copyright Reuters 2002. All rights reserved.

sperosgeorgejr
Mar 29th, 2003, 04:32 PM
http://www.upi.com/view.cfm?StoryID=20030328-071800-1741r

Capriati earns place in final

UPI Sportswriter
From the Sports Desk

Published 3/28/2003 7:18 PM

MIAMI, March 28 (UPI) -- Jennifer Capriati, who had vowed to celebrate her birthday with a Nasdaq-100 Open title, advanced to the championship match Friday with a 6-2, 6-4 victory over Chanda Rubin. To claim the title, Capriati will have to defeat world No. 1 Serena Williams on Saturday. Capriati started slowly this year, hampered somewhat by an offseason eye operation to remove sun spots. But she is now playing her best tennis of the season, and her first final since Canada last August will come on her 27th birthday. "Of course I would like to give myself a nice present," Capriati said. "I will try to be aggressive and go for it." The former world No. 1 has been undone in the past by Williams. Capriati won four of the first five meetings, but has dropped the last six encounters. Saturday's final is a rematch of last year's championship match, when Capriati was the world No. 1 and top seed. But Williams captured the title in straight sets.

Capriati, who was involved in a three-set marathon with Meghann Shaughnessy on Wednesday, was happy to get past Rubin in 73 minutes. "I wanted to come out and jump on her at the start so that I didn't have a long match like the other day," Capriati said. "I thought that would hurt me for the final. I was also staying relaxed, which I haven't always done in the past. There's no point in stressing yourself out for no reason."

Copyright © 2001-2003 United Press International