PDA

View Full Version : Nicole Pratt

Vicky88
Mar 27th, 2003, 04:58 PM
Where do you see Nicole Pratt ending up in the rankings this year? I think she stated at the AO that she believed she could be top 20?

I see her as being better than her current ranking of 53. I believe that she could play her way into the 20-30 range but don't see her going any higher than that.

I'm not sure how many points she has to defend in the upcoming months, I recall she went out first round at Wimbeldon then was off for a few weeks with injury so she could pick up a few ranking points in that period.

TS
Mar 27th, 2003, 11:41 PM
Hi Vicky!

Nicole is playing very good tennis these days and I think she certainly is capable of going top 20 (but to do that she should've been in top 40 by now, as the clay season approaches), but it's a safer bet that she can make, as you said, 20-30 by years end. She has improved her game dastically this year and changed it so that she can keep up with the power players and adapt to different surfaces etc. I've never seen her play as good as she did at AO, she was in some sort of zone! I think she was so focused there that she sort of burned herself out for the next few events, but is now finding her range again. She really has not much to defend til Birmingham (SF points) and after that nothing of note really. She missed a lot of tournaments toward the end of last year with a foot injury so she will make up some points there.

She should be higher than 53, but I dont pay attention to that cos I know she's bound to lift that up sooner or later.

louloubelle
Mar 28th, 2003, 08:37 PM
Nicole probably needed to get that win against Tulyganova to get into the top 20 by years end.

Nicoles record on the green clay isn't that bad so hopefully she can get some form up for fed Cup.

AUSBOY
Mar 29th, 2003, 05:28 AM
Here is a list of Nicole Pratt's results that she is defending for the rest of the year!

Key Biscayne Mar 24 2002 (1 point)
1 E Dyrberg-Q - N Pratt 6-2 6-3

(Already bettered this with 3rd round showing/win over Dementieva)!)

Amelia Island Apr 14 2002
1 N Pratt - T Panova(14) 3-6 6-3 6-4
2 E Likhovtseva - N Pratt 6-4 6-0

Charleston Apr 21 2002 (1 point)
1 A Fusai-Q - N Pratt 6-4 6-1

Hamburg May 5 2002
1 N Pratt - A Glass-Q 6-2 6-3
2 J Henin-Hardenne(4) - N Pratt 6-3 6-4

Madrid May 26 2002
1 N Pratt - A Fusai-Q 7-5 6-2
2 M Serna - N Pratt 6-2 6-2

Roland Garros June 9 2002
1 N Pratt - M Serna 2-6 7-5 6-1
2 A Mauresmo(10) - N Pratt 6-2 6-1

Birmingham June 16 2002
1 N Pratt(14) - T Pisnik 6-1 3-6 6-0
2 N Pratt(14) - L Osterloh 6-4 6-2
3 N Pratt(14) - S Testud(2) 6-4 6-1
QF N Pratt(14) - A Kremer(7) 3-6 6-2 6-3
SF A Myskina(6) - N Pratt(14) 6-3 7-5

Wimbledon July 7 2002 (2 points)
1 L Granville-Q - N Pratt(31) 7-5 7-5

Los Angeles Aug 11 2002 (1 point)
1 E Daniilidou - N Pratt 6-4 6-4

Montreal Aug 18 2002
1 N Pratt - T Poutchek-Q 6-1 6-3
2 K Clijsters(4) - N Pratt 6-4 3-6 6-1

New Haven Aug 25 2002
Qual 1 N Pratt(4) - J Nejedly 6-2 6-0
Qual 2 E Bovina - N Pratt(4) 6-3 6-3

US Open Sep 8 2002 (2 point)
1 D Hantuchova(11) - N Pratt 6-2 6-1

Toyota Princess Cup Sep 22 2002
1 N Pratt - G Leon-Garcia-WC 6-3 7-64
2 N Pratt - A Sugiyama(5) 6-3 4-6 6-3
QF S Williams(1) - N Pratt 6-1 6-0

Bali Sep 29 2002
1 N Pratt(4) - M Kirilenko-WC 6-2 6-4
2 M Marrero - N Pratt(4) 7-5 6-3

Vicky88
Mar 29th, 2003, 06:16 PM
Ausboy, Thanks for going to the trouble to find those results. I appreciate the effort made by yourself.

They make interesting reading as besides Birmingham and the Toyota Princess Cup, Nicole doesn't have a great chunk to defend at any one time. So a good showing in the next few months could see Nicole make a steady climb up the ranks.

Keeping my fingers crossed for some good tournaments for the rest of the year for Nicole.

louloubelle
Mar 30th, 2003, 01:08 AM
Thanx Ausboy :)

Also Nicole will probably play a few more tournies than last year because of her sore foot.

ozfan44
Apr 1st, 2003, 03:12 AM
Why Isnt Nicky Playing In Sarasota

ozfan44
Apr 1st, 2003, 03:16 AM
march 31, 2003
nicky rises from 53 up to 49 in singles and from 32 up to 25 in doubles :eek: :eek:

Vicky88
Apr 1st, 2003, 04:56 AM
Actually I was also wondering why she wasn't playing Sarasota. She only has 20 tournaments for points so if she could play a few extra it might help her out.

TS
Apr 2nd, 2003, 05:23 AM
I would've liked to see her playing Sarasota too, some opportunities for juicy bonus points with some suspect seeds...can't get to complacent there Nicky :p

Alicia is biting at her heels though and soon enough I think we will have a right royal battle for that Aussie top ranking...Im all for healthy competition, so get out the gloves ladies and move eachother up those ranks :D

louloubelle
Apr 2nd, 2003, 06:02 AM
Nicole has entered a few of those larger US events in the next few weeks and along with Fed Cup she's probably trying keep a balanced season.

It's always good for a tough battle for the no. 1 ranking.

I loved it when Provis and McQuillan bitched about each other when they were ranked close. Not that I'd want animosity between Alicia and Nicole.

Vicky88
Apr 2nd, 2003, 05:36 PM
A balanced approach is probably the right one at her age, as a devestating injury could bring about the end a lot sooner.

Another question for everyone. Why doesn't Nicole have a regular doubles partner? Obviously she is a handy doubles player and with a ranking of 24, if she was teamed with the right person would be seeded. Yet it seems as if she has a different partner every tournament. Does anyone know the story behind that?

louloubelle
Apr 3rd, 2003, 07:00 AM
Not sure about that one Vicky.... she should've stuck with Petrova after their US Open semi run and Nicole wasn't even fit at the time!!!

Maybe she's very single minded about her singles and sees that a long-standing doubles arrangement can only hinder that. I suppose playing with a different partner just makes doubles 'fun' with the pressure stuff being saved for singles. Who knows??

Vicky88
Apr 6th, 2003, 12:09 AM
Nicole has drawn Mary Pierce in R1 at The Family Circle Cup. How winnable do you think this match is for her?

TS
Apr 6th, 2003, 01:31 AM
Very winnable. Pierce is a bit 'touch and go' at the moment. She can hit Nic off the court, or Nic can make her play all day and wear 'unfit' Mary out.

Good luck Nicole, you'll need it cos Mary likes this surface :)

ozfan44
Apr 7th, 2003, 04:48 AM
nicky should win this one but i think it will be in three with mary winning the first before nicky storms home

TS
Apr 29th, 2003, 12:16 PM
Nicole just lost 64 63 to Martinez Granados in the 1st round of Bol :(

Nicole's in quite a slump...she should notbe losing these matches. I don't think she has won a set in her last 5 matches :rolleyes:

What's up? Aside from the obvious esxcuse (she hates clay), there's got to be something going on. The Nicole we're seeing lately is losing easily and not putting up a fight, a far cry from the usual gutsiness she displays. Is she feeling a little pressure with Alicia doing so well and snapping at her heels? Wonder what the problem is...her confidence must be zero at the moment. Come on Nic lift your game! :(

AUSBOY
Apr 29th, 2003, 12:34 PM
Conchita Martinez Granados is no slump on clay. She beat 12th ranked Shaughnessy last year at the French Open after 3 qualifying matches. I would have expected a closer score but I dont see this as a huge upset given that Conchita basically plays on clay the whole year wherever she can.

Still not the result I hoped for. I'm sure Nicole's confidence is hurting, hope her doubles goes well here

louloubelle
Apr 29th, 2003, 02:23 PM
I couldn't imagine Nic not putting up a fight, but the way she plays is so tireing - scrambling everything back that i can't see her playing well like that week in week out.

Sometimes when you get in a slump not matter how hard you try things just don't fall your way. To Nic's credit she will still perservere and things will turn around come Wimbledon/US hardcourt time.

mmmmm tho it could be personal, maybe a certain relationship with a certain 5 foot nothing, blonde Aussie maybe on the rocks. Not that I'm fueling speculation or starting some unsubstantiated rumor or something :p :devil:

Vicky88
Apr 29th, 2003, 07:52 PM
Nicole hasn't been having the success I expected lately. I think I unrealistically expected her to easily beat Conchita, but guess I was basing that on ranking rather than taking into account each player's clay court abilities. I am surprised that the scores were not closer, and the same applies for the Fed Cup.

Hopefully she can do better in doubles and that come the change of surface her results will also change for the better.

TS
May 3rd, 2003, 02:54 PM
Latest news is that Nicole has pulled out of Berlin with a knee injury :sad: The main draw has just been released and she is in the withdrawals column.

Get better soon Nicole :), hope it's nothing too serious :sad:

*JR*
May 3rd, 2003, 03:22 PM
Alicia is biting at her heels though and soon enough I think we will have a right royal battle for that Aussie top ranking...Im all for healthy competition, so get out the gloves ladies and move eachother up those ranks :D TS, let's be honest. Being a scrappy player is great; being a gifted one like Punch is better. Question: do you seriously think Pratt will even stay ahead of Stosur through this year and next? (And yes, I'll admit, Nicole's endorsement of the WTA's pimping of Anna really turned me off).

TS
May 3rd, 2003, 03:42 PM
What, you don't like Nicole? *shock horror* I would never have guessed :p

Well considering Sam is yet to penetrate the top 100 and Nicole has been solid top 50 for a number of years, the answer is rather self explanatory :p
As much as I love Sam, she doesn't have anything on Nicole right now...but give her time.

Anyway, the girl is 30 years old. Eventually the likes of Stosur will surpass her, but I imagine Nicole would be almost out of the game when that time arrives...

We could get into a debate re this Anna thing, but hey we've done it before I think ;)...I mean, I don't think it was an endorsement but rather Nicole trying to add some justification toward it, she is an outspoken woman and will always voice her opinion. Some will agree with her some wont...and some just dont care either way, they focus on the tennis ;)

louloubelle
May 3rd, 2003, 03:55 PM
TS, let's be honest. Being a scrappy player is great; being a gifted one like Punch is better. Question: do you seriously think Pratt will even stay ahead of Stosur through this year and next? (And yes, I'll admit, Nicole's endorsement of the WTA's pimping of Anna really turned me off).

I'll chip in first if it's OK. Obviously if Alicia achieves what she wants to achieve then she'll pass Nicole's achievements and ranking VERY soon. I was pleasantly suprised at Alicia's clay run so soon after her injury.... so during this time we were expecting some Aussie battle as Alicia was meant to need some time to recover and find her feet!!!.

But hey she's on fire (stuff the rehab and time to adjust!!!). But give us some credit please..... I think most of us know that Nicole (at age 30 and reached her tennis peak) probably won't be staying with Alicia (looking hot with still room for improvement) in the ranking scheme for too long!!!

Whats the story with Nicole's endorsement with the pimping of Anna?? Please tell :)

TS
May 3rd, 2003, 04:01 PM
Memory is a little hazy, but I think Nicole said she had no problem with the attention Anna receives etc (wildcards, center court appearances etc) as she was good for the sport. Many other players hold similar views, and many others don't.

Something along those lines anyway...I'm sure rd knows more on the issue :p

louloubelle
May 3rd, 2003, 04:22 PM
There's has been a bit of anti-Nic sentiment the last few days... especially the 'Is it self-betrayal that Pratt thinks she's top 20' or something thread which was bloody pointless.

Its pretty good that Nic can get so much attention being a top 40 player... (any publicity is good publicity maybe :D ) what happens if she does realise her top 20 dream. It would be something like 'Did Nicole Pratt fluke top 20' or something.

She deserves credit for her rise from obscurity when she fell into the transition from junior to senior ranks hole. She works hard and gets Ok results for such limited ability.

*JR*
May 3rd, 2003, 10:15 PM
Memory is a little hazy, but I think Nicole said she had no problem with the attention Anna receives etc (wildcards, center court appearances etc) as she was good for the sport. Many other players hold similar views, and many others don't.

Something along those lines anyway...I'm sure rd knows more on the issue :p
Well, yes, but it was alot more explicit. One line I remember was "Anna is worth every dollar she gets...". BTW, my beef as explained in GM is with "Anna, Inc.", a "virtual co." that pays her big $ as it wrecks her career, and somewhat her life, more than with Anna the person. Back to Nicole: you're right that many other players agree, but weren't asked or ducked the question; Nicole @ least didn't. However, it made her sound like a dog begging for table scraps, so maybe she should have. And let me rephrase the Stosur question: do you agree that Sam will be better by the end of '04 @ the latest than Nicole is NOW? (And Olivia probably will be as well by the end of '05)?

TS
May 4th, 2003, 03:27 AM
Re the Sam thing....I doubt it. She's got a LOT to work on. I just can't compare the two at all right now. I think Sam will be good, but won't get to top 40 status (like Nicole has) by end of next year....as much as I'd like to see it and she certainly has the game to do it, I can't see it happening in that timeframe.

Anyway, by that stage Nicole will be going on 32...who knows what will be going on with her.

*JR*
May 4th, 2003, 03:21 PM
Actually, TS, your best coaches keep "defecting" to the U.S. The last example I can think of is Chris Kachel, who's worked with about everyone right up to and including Lleyton. And who's among his Yank pupils? Jennifer. No, not that one. Jenny Hopkins! :rolleyes: I haven't checked Sam on that score, but she sure as 'ell has more talent than Jennifer II. Meanwhile, if Aaron won't start that GM petition for a Punch forum (see that thread), perhaps wonna U mateys can? I mean it's been 3 months since we first discussed that, remember?