PDA

View Full Version : French Open Wildcard??

Vicky88
Mar 27th, 2003, 04:48 PM
Would be interested to hear which of our girls will get the wildcard for the French Open this year.

I think the main two contenders would have to be Evie and Sammantha. However, I believe Sammantha will be the recipient as it may be viewed that Evie has been given quite a few wildcards in the past and it is time for someone else this year.

I am hoping that Evie is able to string a few wins together soon so she can get enough points to get into the MD on her own.

Also hope Sam can do well in this week's Challenger's event as she has only been performing average since the AO. It seems as if so many of our girls in the past have done well in the AO but have been unable to break thru in the year following so never lift there ranking to where they are really able to benefit.

TS
Mar 27th, 2003, 11:46 PM
Evie is already in the main draw, and I think she may just cling on to a spot as she'll be between 105-110 if my calculations are correct.

Anyway, last year Christina Wheeler got the WC cos she won it in a play off with 3 others (from memory McQuillan, Stewart and Watson). They will do the same thing this year I am almost certain. The top 3 players outside the main draw plus one other player (i.e a young player maybe). So at the moment the contenders will be Stosur, Wheeler, McQuillan and somebody else, possibly Dellacqua.

I think it's good that the players earn their spot. The interesting this, Stosur could find herself in the main draws this year of Aus, RG and Wimby if she plays her cards right :eek:

AUSBOY
Mar 28th, 2003, 02:16 AM
Hopefully Evie's ranking will be sufficient to gain direct entry into French Open. For memory I dont think she really has any points to defend now until the French so her ranking should stay roughly where it is.

Stosur also has 0 points to defend, a good showing this week will carry her into the top 150. Given her form of late their is no reason why she cant get her ranking up to 100 soon.

Does anyone have the cut off date for when the French Open commitments are made? Is it the 7th or 14th April???? So 2 or 3 weeks left of points to be gained or lost!

In previous years the wildcard was always given to the highest ranked Aussie not to make the main draw however last year they went against this trend and gave it to Christina Wheeler.

Not sure if they have a play off like they do for the Aussie mens wildcard for the French, perhaps they do.

Either way would be deserving of Sam or Rachel to get it as they are the only in form players out of the main draw

Mattographer
Mar 28th, 2003, 04:07 AM
Rachel McQuillan better get that wildcard because she is (maybe still) the best active Australian claycourter.

Vicky88
Mar 28th, 2003, 05:00 PM
Taking off Evie's points from this tournament she is going to drop to about 106. However just below her are some players who were in this weeks challenger in Atlanta so if they do well they could move above her. If only she had of won that first round match last week she would have definitely gotten in on her own merit. Probably up to 106 will get in because both Testud and Hingis are still in the top 100.

Personally I think it is unlikey they would hand it to Rachel unless she wins it in a playoff. Regardless of her past performances on clay, I think she is seen as the past while the others are seen as the future.

One thing I did not understand about Rachel was why she didn't take some time off when she had that elbow injury and get herself an injury protected ranking rather than playing in fits and starts, not doing well, and seeing her ranking plummet.

TS
Mar 31st, 2003, 07:08 AM
Rachel McQuillan better get that wildcard because she is (maybe still) the best active Australian claycourter.

I can think of 31 reasons why Rachel should *not* receive a WC :p

I don't think Rachel is best on clay. She can play on the stuff but a 3rd round effort at RG 2 years ago isn't the benchmark surely? Personally, on clay or any surface really, she is not on the same level as Nicole or Alicia, but rather on the same level as Wheeler, as Christina has also had good results on clay over the last 2 years (possibly even better than Rachel).

But if she earns it in a play off then it will be well deserved and I'll be the first to congratulate her :)

AUSBOY
Mar 31st, 2003, 12:48 PM
yeah McQuillan will have to improve her form on the red stuff, last year she lost to Cindy Watson in qualies!

Mattographer
Mar 31st, 2003, 01:14 PM
yeah McQuillan will have to improve her form on the red stuff, last year she lost to Cindy Watson in qualies!
She was in slumping :o

Vicky88
Mar 31st, 2003, 10:32 PM
I wouldn't exclude Rachel just because of age, for me she will get passed by because of her age combined with her performance over the past 12 months or so. She may have been in a slump last year's FO but there is no indication by her results that she has pulled out of that slump just yet.

Hoping to see a bit of a comeback from Rachel as I believe she is a better player than her ranking indicates.

ozfan44
Apr 1st, 2003, 03:02 AM
i will check with janet young, tennis australia

ozfan44
Apr 2nd, 2003, 12:43 AM
janet young said the wildcard deciding format is yet to be decided, i will check back at a later date. oky doky