PDA

View Full Version : Which is bigger/more prestigious? Miami or WTA Championships?

jenglisbe
Mar 27th, 2003, 04:19 AM
The announcers say over and over that Miami is the biggest tournament outside of the majors, but you also hear similar comments said about the WTA Championships.

Which do you think players would rather win? Obviously both are big ones to win, but which is more pretigious? Of course, I guess part of it might depend on who you have to beat to win it, but in general...

TM
Mar 27th, 2003, 05:40 AM
The WTA Championships of course. A lot of empty seats to feel closer to the players. ;)

Shawn
Mar 27th, 2003, 05:50 AM
I think it is the most prestigious outside of the slams if you are looking at tennis on a whole. If you are looking at just women's tennis, then I would say the WTA champs by just a slight margin.

~|Naomi|~
Mar 27th, 2003, 06:18 AM
I would say the Season ending champs as only a few select players actually qualify to play there.

WhatTheDeuce
Mar 27th, 2003, 06:20 AM
wta champs is much bigger and more important BUT outside the slams, the nasdaq is the most important event that ALL players are allowed to enter...

Scorch
Mar 27th, 2003, 09:45 AM
I would say that they are equal. If I had to give an edge it would be to Nasdaq as it is so similar to the slams in size and make-up.

The end of year champs lacks the success and imo the excitement that you get in Miami.

AKTW
Mar 27th, 2003, 10:54 AM
Nasdaq seems to be more important but I think WTA Champions is really more important and prestigious.

auntie janie
Mar 27th, 2003, 12:37 PM
Nasdaq seems to be more important but I think WTA Champions is really more important and prestigious.

I agree. The Championships IS the more important and prestigious evnet for the women; it grants more points, even if not 200% of normal round and bonus points as the Slams do, but 150%, which is still huge. So in the eyes of the Tour, at least, the Championships is definitely more important, no matter how many times the announcers prounounce otherwise. :rolleyes:

ys
Mar 27th, 2003, 04:24 PM
My understanding is that playing ( i.e. qualifying ) for Championships is as important as winning the Championships. But I would say that Nasdaq makes more sense sport-wise, because players are usually fresh, motivated, not-injured, not-tired, as opposite to the end of the season.. Besides, for me outdoors is always better than indoors. Indoor sports do have a feeling of being somewhat artificial..

Asmus
Mar 27th, 2003, 05:56 PM
I think Miami's a more difficult tournament to win, as everyone's burnt out and injured at the end of the year.

luv-ya
Mar 27th, 2003, 06:08 PM
I think Miami's a more difficult tournament to win, as everyone's burnt out and injured at the end of the year.
but u get more interesting H2H,
tell me if there's been any good matches so far here?
so of course WTA Champ is the BEST :worship: :worship: :worship:

Dava
Mar 27th, 2003, 07:13 PM
In terms of prestige then yes the WTA champs, becuase it is the top players, who have worked hard all year to earn the $1 :cool: that the event puts up.

But in terms of popularity and general size it has to be Miami.

walee
Mar 27th, 2003, 07:30 PM
Only Top 8 players can enter WTA Championship, of course that's more prestigious.

When the announcers said it's the biggest outsides the slams, they are actually referring to the draw, at least that's what I heard when Pat/Cliff said that on one of the broadcast.

Lindsayfan
Mar 27th, 2003, 10:12 PM
wta championships for sure.Miami isnt so popular in europe,instead all tennis fans know the Master.

Gowza
Mar 27th, 2003, 10:57 PM
imo miami should be the bigger better one but it isn't. the champs do take it i'm afraid.

bluepastures
Mar 27th, 2003, 11:08 PM
Miami definitely. The WTA championships aren't really a proper tournament. Little more than a big money exhibition event. With a larger draw, Miami and any of the Tier 1s are so much harder to win.

It's also extremely bad value for spectators at the WTA championships. Paying for expensive tickets to watch so few matches. I'm sure the move to an 8 draw will lead to even more empty stands.

Mikey
Mar 28th, 2003, 12:42 AM
I would say that the WTA Championships is more important, based on prize money and ranking points alone, not to mention the prestige it implies by forcing people to qualify for the event.

It also gives much more interesting matches in the first round - it's the difference between seeing Monica Seles play Eva Bes in the first round or Lindsay Davenport play Monica Seles in the first round. Everyone knows that anybody there is going to be the best of the best.

Mikey
Mar 28th, 2003, 12:43 AM
:fiery: :fiery: :fiery: do we need to diccuss it?!! :fiery:
What do you propose instead? This IS a tennis message board where we talk about stuff like this :rolleyes:

Leena
Mar 28th, 2003, 12:47 AM
The WTA Championship is a more important tournament... but it's embarassing when there's 5 people in stands watching it.

Julian
Mar 28th, 2003, 02:08 AM
Hopefully it's Miami because Arantxa won twice here but was only in the finals of the WTA Champ. once :D

HotSpot
Mar 28th, 2003, 04:20 AM
for me if we 'd like to discuss about tennis please choose th subject that will have many opinion..
in this case of course almost 100% will say Championship more prestigious.... better you say like Wimbledon or French Open maybe IW or Miami.... more prestigious.. :wavey: :wavey: :wavey:

spyro
Mar 28th, 2003, 06:34 AM
Miami is better than Ending Champ. They can afford lots of player at Miami :)