PDA

View Full Version : Tues Night Nasdaq report...Double A

Mark43
Mar 26th, 2003, 04:17 AM
I began the day early as I was working two consecutive shifts. Serena was warming up as I began ushering and she was looking in quite good form. Serena was up against Marion Bartoli of France. Poor Bartoli, there was nothing she could do. I was working with another usher who after a few mintues said she didn't want to see any 2's in Bartoli's column. I, on the other hand, was hoping for no more than 60 mins on the clock. It was that boring.
Serena took it 1 + 2 in about 62 mins.

Next up was the artiste Federer and Shalken. This was another snorefest. 6-3, 6-2 for Roger.

I got a big break since the matches ended so early (and Rios withdrew) so I had a big dinner and while in the volunteer tent I had the pleasure of meeting a fellow WTAworld member, Linnie (http://www.wtaworld.com/member.php?find=lastposter&threadid=62139) ! We talked for some time about what great tennis we are seeing (and our faves jen + Momo). It was fun to actually meet a flesh and blood member of this board. Linnie is very nice and very knowledgable about the game.

I reported to my new box, which was happily in the back of the court again (yay! I hate the side) for the Dokic/Kim match. It was over in the blink of an eye. Jelena and Kim seem somewhat evenly matched so I am not sure why it was such a trainwreck for Dokic. 6-2, 6-0. Perhaps it was her lack of match play. She seemed off and Kim was tough as nails, as usual.

Thank god for Andre and Mark. This whole day would have been a dud otherwise.

Mark43
Mar 26th, 2003, 04:19 AM
I almost feel asleep on the monitor....sorry. More later. I better hit the hay before heading back to see JenCap :bounce: tomorow.

Nighty night.

sorry this report was such a snore. :o :o

1jackson2001
Mar 26th, 2003, 07:40 AM
Hey, I still appreciate the report. :)

Linnie
Mar 26th, 2003, 11:38 AM
:wavey: Mark! :D ;)

Mark43
Mar 26th, 2003, 01:02 PM
Hi Linnie!!

Part 2.

Agassi and Mark were evenly matched in the first set. I think they both got a break in early on. They thing that struck about Mark throughout the tourney is his ground game, particulary his forehand. He was solid on the baseline and whipping his forehand past Andre. First set went to Mark 6-4 and the crowd was stirring. No one wanted Andre out in the 4th round, but we all wanted a great match. We got it. Mark's serve was still smokin' in the second, but you got the feeling that if ANdre could just stay with him, Mark would have a letdown. Andre got the break in the middle of the third and the inevitable errors began creeping into Mark's game and it was all over 6-2.

King Aaron
Mar 26th, 2003, 01:07 PM
Thanks Mark. :)
Can you elaborate more on Jelena/Kim's match?

Mark43
Mar 26th, 2003, 01:21 PM
Hi aaron :wavey:

I thought the Jelena/Kim match would be really exciting. It just went by so fast, primarily due to Jelena's errors (and Kim's many winners!). neither one was serving very well, but Kim was winning her serve and Jelena was struggling after the 4th game. I think Jelena got a bad call at 3-2 in the first set. She seemed up set and went downhill after that. Of course Kim played nearly flawless tennis. I am sure her winners were nearly double the errors. Kim is so fast around the baseline and when she is pulled wide, she slides on the cement and it looks (and sounds) painful. I know we have all seen her slide a million times on tv, but some reason (the crowd gasping perhaps) it seems more dangerous in person.

Overall Kim is looking fantastic, so I expect her to do a lot of damage against serena tomorrow.

Go Kim!! :)

jmp
Mar 26th, 2003, 01:25 PM
Thanks, Mark. Eventhough most of the matches were one-sided, your report was not a bore. I'd like to read more about the Jelena/Kim match, too. Where did Jelena go wrong?

EDIT TO ADD: I guess we posted at the same time. Thanks for the Jelena/Kim info. :)

King Aaron
Mar 26th, 2003, 01:54 PM
Thanks Mark. :D
Another question, was Jelena hitting well? Like was it because Kim hit back so many balls Jelena just ot frustrated and did she try in the second set?

Mark43
Mar 26th, 2003, 02:38 PM
Yeah Jelena was hitting well. Off the ground they are pretty evenly matched. Jelena is very powerful and hits her ball a bit flatter than Kim. At 2 all I thought we were in for a tight match, but Kim's quickness frustrated Jelena. i never got the feeling she wasn't trying, she just seemed somewhat deflated after that close call going against her. In her defense, I felt she was right about the call. But overall, Kim's winner/error ratio must have been very good.

King Aaron
Mar 27th, 2003, 02:59 PM
Oh I see. Thanks for answering my questions and I'm glad Jelena was trying. :)