PDA

View Full Version : Rank these commentators in terms of fewest mistakes made

Darkheart
Mar 26th, 2003, 05:14 AM
Who makes the fewest mistakes while commentating matches?

Mistakes can be:

- mistaking someone for someone else (eg. mistaking Myskina for Safina)
- calling the wrong score (eg. saying it's break point when it's game point)
- stating incorrect facts about a player (eg. stating Jen played Doha but she really played Dubai instead)
- other things

NOTE: Personal opinions should be left out of this (eg. Pam saying Kim is the real #2 player is just her personal opinion).

the commentators:

Pam Shriver
Mary Joe Fernandez
Cliff Drysdale
Chris Evert
Ted Robinson
Mary Carillo
Tracy Austin

my rankings (from many years of observation):

1. Mary Joe Fernandez
2. Ted Robinson
3. Tracy Austin
4. Chris Evert
5. Pam Shriver
6. Mary Carillo
7. Cliff Drysdale

How would you rank them?

King Lindsay
Mar 26th, 2003, 05:19 AM
Well, i think Mary Joe, Carillo and Shriver top the list, not necessarily in that order. Although, it's not entirely fair to compare them with Cliffie or Ted, who they don't exclusively cover women's tennis. Of course, Chris Evert or Tracy Austin cannot claim that excuse. ;)

Cliff is the worst, I know that. I loved his comment during the seles-cho US Open match. It was 6-1 4-1 Monica, and gamepoint on her serve, and Cliff announced it as matchpoint. When he was corrected, he then said "well, it's as good as a matchpoint, isn't it?" Ha ha, no.

Darkheart
Mar 26th, 2003, 05:34 AM
Well, i think Mary Joe, Carillo and Shriver top the list, not necessarily in that order. Although, it's not entirely fair to compare them with Cliffie or Ted, who they don't exclusively cover women's tennis.
I know, but I needed to make the list bigger. ;)

Well, Ted does a very good job, considering that he doesn't even commentate tennis full-time (he also commentates baseball). So therefore Cliff cannot be excused. ;)

LeonHart
Mar 26th, 2003, 05:34 AM
ok...Cliff is definitly #1 LoL!

Darkheart
Mar 26th, 2003, 05:37 AM
ok...Cliff is definitly #1 LoL!
You mean the opposite. ;)

disposablehero
Mar 26th, 2003, 06:09 AM
I'm not going to figure this one out. Let's just assume an average of 83 mistakes per match for the most accurate of them.

Brian Stewart
Mar 26th, 2003, 07:41 AM
I think Mary Joe surrendered her chance at the #1 ranking this week. She made the exact same mistake on Chanda's ranking at least 3 times this week.

Cliff is in a "class" by himself. He completes the Grand Slam of bad tennis announcing.

He mangles the pronounciation of names on a regular basis.

He gets scores wrong. Not just the momentary flub over game or break points, but he'll get scores wrong in mid-game.

He still mixes up Venus and Serena.
And he's the master of the double-standard. He'll pan the women for doing the same things he'll praise in a men's match. Or when a favored woman player gets up a break, he's quick to write off the match. Yet when it happens in a men's match, he stays in "shill" mode. I remember one men's match over a year ago where it was an absolute slaughter. Not only was the score lopsided (something like 6-1 4-0 or 5-0), there was a huge disparity in performance levels that day. Incredibly, Cliff blurted out "This, to me, is the most exciting time of the match...", and asked questions such as "Can he come back" and "Will he come back", and did everthing to try to make it sound like this is the most exciting thing he's ever seen. He went so over the top that even his broadcast partner, who was also prone to shilling, didn't buy it.

And how many times has Cliff done a match where a top woman won a close match, say 6-4 6-4 or something like that, with lots of hard-fought, multi-deuce games that could have gone either way, then an hour later, when the scores scroll by during a men's match, he says she won "EASILY".

With Chris no longer active, someone else has to fill the void as the worst tennis announcer. Unfortunately, there's no shortage of candidates.