PDA

View Full Version : Open Letter To All Those In Panic Mode Over Venus's Loss Last Night

Informative
Mar 26th, 2003, 05:00 AM
While I'm disappointed that my favorite tennis player on the planet, Venus Williams, lost last night, I have to say that many, if not most of the negative posts about Venus's alleged lack of desire and committment to playing winning tennis (by people who claim to either love or hate her) is RIDICULOUS AND WAY OVER THE TOP! Please calm down people and take a breather. It's not the end of the world/Universe/Omniverse because Venus lost to Meghann last night. While it's clear that Venus did not play her best tennis, let's be honest and give Meghann some credit for her well deserved victory. She played within herself, served and vollyed well, and kept her errors to a minimum, and capitalized on all the big points. She obviously had a plan and she executed it very well. So congratulations to Meghann. It's only the second time in 7 matches that Meghann has beaten Venus, and the first time in nearly 2 years(!) so let's be gracious enough to allow her to savor her victory without all the moaning and groaning about how badly Venus played. Venus was erratic and inconsistent and clearly deserved to lose last night as others have pointed out but she was simply outplayed last night. SO LET'S CUT THE WOMAN SOME SLACK here. We have NO IDEA what Venus is or is not doing between matches and it's not merely unfair to pretend that we do know but deeply INSULTING and PATRONIZING to her as well. Where's the respect? FOR ALL WE KNOW Venus may be practicing her first and second serves, as well as other aspects of her game EVERYDAY, and working just as hard as some other players on the tour. All the snide comments made by both some of her supporters and detractors on this board and elsewhere that all she is doing is promoting and working for her V Starr company at the expense of her tennis can't possibly be substantiated and are uninformed conjecture at best. NO ONE can possibly WIN EVERY SINGLE MATCH, even when they are playing at (seemingly) optimum levels. Let's not forget in our unseemly haste to attack our favorite players when they disappoint us that they are human and can't always meet our selfish demands that they play well (and win) all the time. Please keep in mind that Venus has only lost 12 matches in the past 22 MONTHS! (She is an amazing 98-12 or .890 since her first round loss at the French Open in June, 2001--remember Barbara Schett?, LOL), and Venus has also managed to win 12 titles (and two GS major titles) out of 24 tournaments played over this nearly 2 year span. That's a 50% success rate in titles won! And Venus has still LOST FEWER MATCHES (20) THAN ANY PLAYER IN THE WTA INCLUDING SERENA SINCE 2000!! Even with her last five final losses to Serena, that still means that Venus has been the winner or runnerup finalist in 17 of the 24 tournaments(!) she has played during this time. That's a PHENOMENAL RECORD by any objective standard and the rest of the players in the WTA would give ANYTHING to have competed so well, so consistently over that long a period of time. If not for her equally amazing little sister, Venus record (even with her rare loss last night) is 98-7 or .933 against the rest of the entire WTA since the FO, 2001. That's a winning percentage of 93%! Now winning 93% of your matches is NOT the mark of someone who is not sincerely committed to their sport and you know it! I have absolutely no doubts whatsoever about Venus's "desire and committment" based on her ongoing extraordinary record, and I'm stunned/shocked that ANYONE would openly question the desire of an athlete who has amassed such a outstanding record of achievement. My point is that we need to stop over reacting in such an extreme melodramatic manner every single time Venus (or Serena) LOSES. It's gonna happen from time to time. Sometimes they're not gonna play well and/or sometimes they're simply gonna be outplayed! It happens even to the BEST of players. I've seen games (and you have too) where Michael Jordan shot 25%, played bad defense, and turned the ball over far too many times. I've even seen games where he and other iconic sports figures have been badly OUTPLAYED by their opponents. It doesn't mean that said players are or were more interested in their stock portfolios and bank accounts than they were in performing well. SO PLEASE, RELAX. Venus is playing PROFESSIONALS, after all. They're trying to win too! Venus will do much better against Meghann and anyone else she loses to next time out (I'm CERTAIN even Meghann understands that). And even if Venus doesn't win the next time it won't mean she's "lost her desire committment to the game" or that her business affairs are more important than tennis at this point in her life. The woman is still a CHAMPION. She would have just lost A MATCH. Big Deal! Get over it...

BasicTennis
Mar 26th, 2003, 05:06 AM
ok....you do sound to be in panic actually.:devil:

Informative
Mar 26th, 2003, 05:09 AM
Don't be stupid Basic Tennis (o I forgot--that's not possible for you, is it?)...LOL

BasicTennis
Mar 26th, 2003, 05:11 AM
LMAO:D now you're beginning to sound stupid as well.;)

joao
Mar 26th, 2003, 07:15 AM
Nobody is underestimating Venus and nobody is denying her huge success over the last 3 years ... and you too can speculate whatever you want about what she does or doesn't during her (long) time-off ... who knows she might be practicing and working on her serve ... the fact is, she has a bad technique and a weak unreliable 2nd serve, with poor placement! But that's old news! And that's the problem! This serve has been shaking since .... always. Yes, Venus has speed but she doesn't have the technique that would allow her to place her serve better, more often! And she knows that her serve is her major weakness, that her serve is the first thing to go off when there's tension! You know it, I know it and she also knows it ... but she doesn't seem to improve her damn 2nd serve ... and that's been going on forever! It's kinda annoying already ...

WhatTheDeuce
Mar 26th, 2003, 07:32 AM
whos panicing? its just one loss we all know shes one of the best...

BasicTennis
Mar 26th, 2003, 07:46 AM
whos panicing? its just one loss we all know shes one of the best...

obviously, it's the author of this thread who's panicking.:rolleyes:

WhatTheDeuce
Mar 26th, 2003, 07:48 AM
obviously, it's the author of this thread who's panicking.:rolleyes:
LMAO...i know...but he titled the thread "to ALL THOSE IN PANIC"

im just pointing out that no-one is panicing...except him of course ;)

1jackson2001
Mar 26th, 2003, 08:00 AM
CEO Venus E Starr Williams is already home preparing for tomorrow's day at the office: Appointments, meeting, etc. She already forgot about her part time job loss.

It will be business at the office as usual for Venus tomorrow...

WhatTheDeuce
Mar 26th, 2003, 08:02 AM
CEO Venus E Starr Williams is already home preparing for tomorrow's day at the office: Appointments, meeting, etc. She already forgot about her part time job loss.

It will be business at the office as usual for Venus tomorrow...
ABSOLUTELY :)

bwguy
Mar 26th, 2003, 10:53 AM
Well, not surprisingly, predictions of Venus' demise have spread to the press:

Left in her sister's wake, is this the beginning of the end for Venus?

Richard Jago in Miami
Wednesday March 26, 2003
The Guardian

Venus is waning. On the very day her sister Serena was receiving the WTA Tour 2002 player of the year award after winning three grand slams in a row, the elder Williams was suffering her worst defeat for 13 months, a 7-6, 6-1 drubbing from her fellow American Meghann Shaughnessy in the last 16 of the Nasdaq-100 Open.

The two moments may be connected. Venus's sober persona after losing to an opponent ranked outside the top 20 made a stark contrast with the smile depicted nearby on the toothpaste Serena is endorsing.

Not since Steffi Graf in 1994 has anyone held all four grand slam titles and never has Serena enjoyed such flattering comparisons - with Tiger Woods and Edwin Moses - in terms of the dominance of her sport.

Not since 2000 when Richard Williams announced that his daughter was considering retirement has there been so much doubt and speculation about the future of Venus. Her failure on her home patch here raises questions not just about her emotional state but her physical condition too.

"I tried, but I just couldn't seem to get the ball in today," she said, calmly disconsolate. "If I had played really well, there was a good chance that I could have won the match. All I can do is give her credit."

Shaughnessy did play well. She knew she should pressure Venus's second serve, she knew which was Venus's less consistent wing, and she hit some fine wrong-footing forehands. She has strengthened her game, she claims, with hypnosis, using CDs, and by adding 15lb of muscle in two years. "I live for times like these," she said.

But Venus is not the player who won the Wimbledon and US Open titles back to back two years ago. Her serve was depressingly vulnerable, she made mistakes on the fore hand, and she fell away badly in the second set. There was even one eye-catching moment near the end when a Shaughnessy stop volley lurched over the net and spun spectacularly back again.

Last year Venus had a wrist problem that forced her withdrawal from the Italian Open and a leg strain that caused her to retire during the WTA Tour year-end championships. Knees have been the problem recently. Ever since she took six months off in 1999-2000, troubled by tendinitis in both wrists, there have been concerns about how long her body would survive the battering she gives it.

For Venus has helped change the women's game. She was not quite the first to hit her ground strokes every time at full bore and maximum grunt. Monica Seles did that. But Venus at her best hit her first serve a wallop too and wore dresses with big shark bites out of the back that captured everyone's attention.

A generation of stronger, bigger and more aggressive women were encouraged to believe they could develop a consistently effective power game. Of those who could not, many decided that they must at least learn to hit hard enough not to relinquish the initiative to those who could. Arguably Venus was responsible for the improvement in Shaughnessy that overcame her.

But with her giraffe legs and awkward style she was always more vulnerable to injuries than most. Venus withdrew from the Dubai Open last month citing "her schedule" but is now not going to play again for a whole month, till the European clay-court season is under way. That is a lot of time off. The whisper suggests her body is still not right.

And there are question marks about her mind. It has many distractions. She is bright. She has an interior design business. She enjoys art. And she is expecting to publish a book of her poetry. Tennis is far from the only thing in her life, and maybe not the most important thing.

Last week Venus was hauled in at the last moment as a substitute for Serena at one of her many appearances. How many interior design business clients did she have, Venus was asked. "I have a few. My toughest client is Serena," she said laughingly. "She pressurises me."

It emerged that she would not be charging for these demands. "Serena kept saying I want to pay, I want to pay," Venus smilingly said. "But I won't let her." For Venus is prepared to accept Serena just the way she is. And maybe the way things are.

http://sport.guardian.co.uk/tennis/story/0,10069,922124,00.html

Seenus
Mar 26th, 2003, 02:04 PM
While I'm disappointed that my favorite tennis player on the planet, Venus Williams, lost last night, I have to say that many, if not most of the negative posts about Venus's alleged lack of desire and committment to playing winning tennis (by people who claim to either love or hate her) is RIDICULOUS AND WAY OVER THE TOP! ..

Don't write such long-winded stuff if you want to be read.
I am a Venus fan who panicked a long time ago. She either lacks the skills or the commitment. Which do you think?

starr
Mar 26th, 2003, 03:03 PM
A book of poetry? God save us.

Hulet
Mar 26th, 2003, 03:22 PM
Informative, I think venus' fans are correct in being disappointed on their fave b/c she is not paying enough attention to her tennis. I haven't criticised her after this recent loss to Meghan (mostly because I was dumbfounded by the shock of it), but I understood the people who did. I don't care about Venus - the enterprenuer, Venus - the poet, Venus - the beauty queen, Venus - the fashion designer, or Venus - the family person. The only reason why I am her fan is because she play tennis, and I would like her to pay more attention to it. Nothing less that a single minded focus to her game would satisfy me. I understand that is irrational and selfish, but that is why I am a fan. And, it seemed to me, from the recent interviews by venus, that she is putting more and more of her energy and time in establishing her company. I have no idea on whether or not she is practicing or not with the remainder of her time. But, it would be too naive not to think that this company thingy won't take away atleast some time and energy, which she could have used to develop her game more.

Go Venus, drop the company and win more matches. :)

Infiniti2001
Mar 26th, 2003, 04:21 PM
I'm one who will never count Venus out... Anyway, someone posted this on one of the aol message boards.. I somewhat agree with it :p

If anyone has had the success of Venus over the last year and a half with the exception of the worlds #1 Serena Williams (and probably the greatest ever to play the game of womens tennis) then who is she? The real and true answer is no one. Venus is #2 and would easily be #1 if it wasn't for the fact that she is playing in an era with the world greatest female player of all-time TO-BE!!! Everyone has a defeat now and then...even Serena (in Nov Clijsters, but won over her 2 for 2 since then). It will only make Venus that much more determined because that is what champions and great players do, come back stronger!!! Venus is a great player and truly a champion.

P.S. eta psi , informative started this thread, not yours truly :)

Hulet
Mar 26th, 2003, 04:26 PM
Thanks for the correction, informa - err - infiniti. :)

Shane54
Mar 27th, 2003, 12:20 AM
You are right informative it is just one loss! But you contradict yourself by writing this "thesis" b/c of the lost. She lost. She will be back. It will be alright buddy! You still have the air you breathe, the beautiful sun still shines......

harloo
Mar 27th, 2003, 12:48 AM
Well, Informative this is a message board and we do discuss tennis. And sometimes you have to take the good with the bad. I was really dissapointed with Vee's loss, but after a little while I was over it. It's alot of pressure to come out and play 100% everytime IMO. Although, I still think Vee is on another level in her life where tennis is not as important to her. Maybe this will motivate her, who knows? Or maybe she will just continue to be more focused on her life outside of tennis. Which ever choice, I will still support her.

I think as Venus and Serena fans, we all have been spoiled. When you put this one loss in perspective, it really means nothing. Other fan bases faves lose every tournament or every other tournament. So, when you look at this loss to megan you know that their will be so many more wins in the future.