PDA

View Full Version : Serena v. Kim update: Majority wanted a rivalry. Too bad, I guess

Tennis Fool
Mar 26th, 2003, 02:46 AM
Serena is my favorite, but I really would like to see a genuine rivalry with Kim Clijsters. I think it will make this season more exciting and less predictable.

Can Kim stop choking against Serena?
Will Serena continue to pull out incredible matches?

What do you think?

__________________________________________________ ____
H2H

Serena leads 6:1

1999-08-30 U.S. Open R32 Serena Williams (USA) 4-6 6-2 7-5
2000-03-06 Indian Wells R16 Serena Williams (USA) 6-4 6-4
2001-03-05 Indian Wells F Serena Williams (USA) 4-6 6-4 6-2
2001-03-19 Miami R16 Serena Williams (USA) 6-0 6-2
2002-09-16 Tokyo F Serena Williams (USA) 2-6 6-3 6-3
2002-11-04 WTA Championships Indoor F Kim Clijsters (BEL) 7-5 6-3
2003-01-13 Australian Open SF Serena Williams (USA) 4-6 6-3 7-5

1jackson2001
Mar 26th, 2003, 03:02 AM
I'd like it to be more interesting...but there's this part of that wants to see Serena make history....something that I can see in my/our lifetime/generation. Now that would be awesome.

BasicTennis
Mar 26th, 2003, 03:16 AM
2003 still is Serena's year.....Kim may have a chance next year.;)

Serena would definetely win their semis encounter.:devil:

Tennis Fool
Mar 26th, 2003, 02:46 PM
*bump* ;)

Becool
Mar 26th, 2003, 03:04 PM
I hope Serena continues making history and also owning Kim :)

GO SERENA! Like BasicTennis said, 2003 it's only a sequel :cool:

Roxers
Mar 26th, 2003, 03:12 PM
Generlly i don`t care who wins, i just want an exciting, unique match, in which both fight and play their best tennis...with the better Player (this day) winning at the end :) But i agree that it would make the WTA more exciting if Kim would win :D

malaye
Mar 26th, 2003, 03:16 PM
I think it is safe to say that Serena has already made history !
And yes, it would be more exiting, and would make for a good, healthy rivalry if their H2H were less one-sided. So go Kim !

Hulet
Mar 26th, 2003, 03:58 PM
Serena is my favorite, but I want Kim to win

Pfff.
By the power invested on me by all "true" serena fans, I have now excommunicated you from the serena fan club. :)

Rae Q.
Mar 26th, 2003, 04:31 PM
I picked "Yes, it will make tennis more exciting". They already have a rivalry but it's just one sided for now. Kim's gonna have a rockin career so don't worry. That doesn't mean though that I don't want my fav to dominate. I'm totally into what Kim said about Serena loving to be #1. That's my fav! :D

hingis-seles
Mar 26th, 2003, 06:55 PM
Well the last time they played in Miami, only months before Kim's first GS final, Serena won 6-0,6-2. :devil:

harloo
Mar 26th, 2003, 07:50 PM
I don't know what anyone is talking about in this thread, but if you haven't noticed Kim has been winning everything lately. I still would like my fave to win their matchup, but I know Kim has a chance and I'm fine with that.

Also, if Vee would of stayed in then I wouldn't fret too much if Serena loss, but I'm bitter because of what Shaunessy did too Vee. She trounced the Queen, and I am hoping the Princess comes through. :D

Helen Lawson
Mar 26th, 2003, 07:55 PM
I think the Jennifer/Serena rivalry has been pretty entertaining over the years, well except the last 18 months or so has never gone Jenn's way but she does at least make it an interesting match win or lose. Kim and Serena are fun to watch too. It would be nice, but Kim needs some more wins before it really is a rivalry.

Tennis Fool
Mar 26th, 2003, 09:37 PM
Pfff.
By the power invested on me by all "true" serena fans, I have now excommunicated you from the serena fan club. :)

:rolleyes: :wavey:

Tennis Fool
Mar 27th, 2003, 03:36 AM
*Bump*

They play when I'm at work, so I can't comment again until it's over...

Informative
Mar 27th, 2003, 04:01 AM
Go, Serena, Go! I'm rooting for you against EVERYBODY except Venus (smile)...

Tennis Fool
Mar 27th, 2003, 10:36 PM
Well, Kim is like dough in Serena hands, pounded down, flipped around, then thrown into the fire.

Kim is in my official fan doghouse along with Marat Safin and Roger Federer if he loses this match to Costa...

Hulet
Mar 27th, 2003, 10:51 PM
Well, Kim is like dough in Serena hands, pounded down, flipped around, then thrown into the fire.

Kim is in my official fan doghouse along with Marat Safin and Roger Federer if he loses this match to Costa...
If you want to rejoin the serena worship club, then first you have to repent. If not, just let this thread die please. :o

Tennis Fool
Mar 27th, 2003, 10:54 PM
If you want to rejoin the serena worship club, then first you have to repent. If not, just let this thread die please. :o

Serena worship club...are you 12???

Unlike some posters :wavey: I am not a one-dimensional fan...

WtaTour4Ever
Mar 27th, 2003, 11:00 PM
Yes and No,

For it to be a rival they would have to win, which I don't want, however I do like the close matches, and no one seems to bring Serena to the edge more than Cappy :-)

I'm not anti Kim/Serena rivalry I just find the Serena/Cappy matchup more interesting. But I do respect Kims game.....I just think Cap takes advantage of Serenas error more than she does.

Tennis Fool
Mar 27th, 2003, 11:11 PM
Yes and No,

For it to be a rival they would have to win, which I don't want, however I do like the close matches, and no one seems to bring Serena to the edge more than Cappy :-)

I'm not anti Kim/Serena rivalry I just find the Serena/Cappy matchup more interesting. But I do respect Kims game.....I just think Cap takes advantage of Serenas error more than she does.

Yes, JenCap does give Serena a workout...but a rivalry?:confused:

H2H: Serena leads 7:4, including WINS IN THE LAST SIX MATCHES
1999-05-10 Berlin Clay R32 Serena Williams (USA) 7-6(3) 6-3
2000-03-20 Miami Hardcourt R16 Jennifer Capriati (USA) 7-6(2) 1-6 6-3
2001-03-19 Miami Hardcourt QF Jennifer Capriati (USA) 6-1 7-6(5)
2001-05-28 Roland Garros Clay QF Jennifer Capriati (USA) 6-2 5-7 6-2
2001-06-25 Wimbledon Grass QF Jennifer Capriati (USA) 6-7(4) 7-5 6-3
2001-08-13 Toronto Hardcourt F Serena Williams (USA) 6-1 6-7(7) 6-3
2002-02-25 Scottsdale Hardcourt F Serena Williams (USA) 6-2 4-6 6-4
2002-03-18 Miami Hardcourt F Serena Williams (USA) 7-5 7-6(4)
2002-05-13 Rome Clay SF Serena Williams (USA) 6-2 3-6 7-5
2002-05-27 Roland Garros Clay SF Serena Williams (USA) 3-6 7-6(2) 6-2
2002-11-04 WTA Championships SF Serena Williams (USA) 2-6 6-4 6-4

I think Chanda has the better chance of beating Serena, IMHO.

tennischick
Mar 27th, 2003, 11:16 PM
as long as Serena keeps winning, i'm pretty excited. i just love the way she totally cleaned up her game between Marion Bartoli and Kim Clijsters. the woman is just amazing! :)

WtaTour4Ever
Mar 27th, 2003, 11:21 PM
Tennis Fool,

Thats why I answered yes and no b/c you are correct a rivalry really woudn't have one person winning the last 5 or so matches. However I like that their matches are normally quite competitive and with the history you must admit there is a little drama :-)

Tennis Fool
Mar 27th, 2003, 11:21 PM
as long as Serena keeps winning, i'm pretty excited. i just love the way she totally cleaned up her game between Marion Bartoli and Kim Clijsters. the woman is just amazing! :)

Isn't it just odd how a few years ago it was all VENUS VENUS VENUS and then you saw her kid sister sitting with Oracene in the stands...

Now Venus has become the new Hingis... :o

Tennis Fool
Mar 27th, 2003, 11:23 PM
Tennis Fool,

Thats why I answered yes and no b/c you are correct a rivalry really woudn't have one person winning the last 5 or so matches. However I like that their matches are normally quite competitive and with the history you must admit there is a little drama :-)

Yes, but mustn't all those Cappy fans be reeling at the end :o

tennischick
Mar 27th, 2003, 11:29 PM
Isn't it just odd how a few years ago it was all VENUS VENUS VENUS and then you saw her kid sister sitting with Oracene in the stands...

Now Venus has become the new Hingis... :o
i never liked Venus (still don't) so i actually never went thru that phase.

i have always loved Serena and i adore Hingis.

apparently your called Venus the new Hingis is supposed to be an insult but for me it's a compliment she doesn't deserve.

Tennis Fool
Mar 27th, 2003, 11:32 PM
i never liked Venus (still don't) so i actually never went thru that phase.

i have always loved Serena and i adore Hingis.

apparently your called Venus the new Hingis is supposed to be an insult but for me it's a compliment she doesn't deserve.

Venus and Serena have similar games. What makes them different to you? Personality?

tennischick
Mar 28th, 2003, 12:01 AM
Venus and Serena have similar games. What makes them different to you? Personality?
actually i find their games very different. and yes they have different personalities.

Serena serves much better and IMO she also strategises better. she is a more attacking and aggressive player. both of her serves are excellent, and she can vary her type of serves wonderfully.

Venus' second serve continues to suck and she is a more defensive player. she wins mainly by playing solid defensive tennis, and she plays her best tennis when she has dug herself into a hole and must climb out of it.

Serena seems to decide from the start of the game if she is going to fight from the get-go or whether she will take it easy. against Marion Bartoli (for example, don't mean to keep picking on poor Marion), she took it easy. against Kim, she knows now not to make that mistake, so her intensity is there from the start.

Venus generally plays the same game regardless of her opponent. she is the better volleyer IMO, but doesn't do it a lot bec that is a more attacking style and her preference is to defend.

they both make mental lapses. Serena in particular seems to get bored if there isn't enuf of a challenge on the other side of the net.

as for personality differences, Serena lseems to love winning. she revels in it. she loves playing tennis. she is aggressive and competitve and she basks in the attention that she gets for being the best player in the world.

Venus makes playing tennis look like a joyless chore that she must suffer thru. and that twirl at the end when she wins seriously irritates me bec the whole experience has seemed so miserable and burdensome for her that one wonders what exactly is she celebrating.

these are of course just my opinions...;) ;)

Tennis Fool
Mar 28th, 2003, 12:16 AM
TC,

Thoughtful thread...I am *definitely* more of Serena fan also. I like her rock-star personality more than I like introverted Venus...also, I think she's the more consistant player. If I were to bet on who would strike out more ofter on route to a tourney final, I wouldn't bet on Serena...

tennischick
Mar 28th, 2003, 02:19 AM
you're not *related* to Light-Skank Chick by any *chance* are you...:p

Mr. Man
Mar 28th, 2003, 02:23 AM
I voted "No, Serena should continue to dominate and make history".

2003 it's only a sequel
muahah, I should add that to my sig. ;)

Tennis Fool
Mar 28th, 2003, 02:50 AM
you're not *related* to Light-Skank Chick by any *chance* are you...:p

No, but I thought you were :confused: ;) :p