PDA

View Full Version : So what do you think of Marion Bartoli?(is she the future Monica Seles)

selesadmirer
Mar 26th, 2003, 12:08 AM
Even though she lost 6-1,6-2 i was rather impressed with her..She even said her favorite player is Monica Seles...Everyone was saying she is unorthodox but that is what people said when seles first came on the scene..So what is your opinion on her, does she have top ten potential. :wavey:

selesrules
Mar 26th, 2003, 12:19 AM
Even though she lost 6-1,6-2 i was rather impressed with her..She even said her favorite player is Monica Seles...Everyone was saying she is unorthodox but that is what people said when seles first came on the scene..So what is your opinion on her, does she have top ten potential. :wavey:

Oh please! LOL

Jordan.
Mar 26th, 2003, 12:22 AM
For sure she does, all she has to do is work on movement and her serve! :)

selesrules
Mar 26th, 2003, 12:23 AM
For sure she does, all she has to do is work on movement and her serve! :)

All she has to do is nuke the world.

selesadmirer
Mar 26th, 2003, 12:26 AM
All she has to do is nuke the world.
You don't like her do you :wavey: ..Nobody will ever replace queen Monica Seles....When seles chooses to retire though i am sure we will see glimpses of seles through Bartoli.

CoryAnnAvants#1
Mar 26th, 2003, 01:18 AM
I think she could peak somewhere in the 13-20 range, but this tournament is not a good way to say she has broken through. Let's be honest..she had a VERY kind draw. Ally Baker, Evie Dominikovic and Maria Sanchez Lorenzo are not exactly world beaters (and she struggled against the last two.) Add an injured Lindsay Davenport to the mix and you got to a Tier I quarterfinal without one truly good win (I don't count Lindsay because she was immobile out there.) Marion has played better than she has here and has recorded better wins. She just came in the right place at the right time this week.

Gowza
Mar 26th, 2003, 01:37 AM
i've only seen her play once and that was at the oz open against maleeva in round 1. her results don't llok like a future top 10 plaer but you never know. any change is a nice change these days. i'm not expecting her to reach the top 10 but it will be a present surprise if she did.

Julian
Mar 26th, 2003, 02:03 AM
That's the major thing here...she has "POTENTIAL" and it's evident. As well as in many other players. But it all depends on her work ethic and attitude. I do know she works very hard at practice but still not sure of her mentality. Her game is nice to watch though. :)

WhatTheDeuce
Mar 26th, 2003, 02:04 AM
sure she can be a good player but top ten??? PLEASE...

selesrules
Mar 26th, 2003, 02:16 AM
sure she can be a good player but top ten??? PLEASE...

I know! LOL. Come on selesadmirer...Top 10???? Please! Bartoli is good, BUT SHE'S NO ANNA! :D

selesadmirer
Mar 26th, 2003, 02:42 AM
I know! LOL. Come on selesadmirer...Top 10???? Please! Bartoli is good, BUT SHE'S NO ANNA! :DI didn't say she will be top ten i said do you think she has potential to be top 10...And of course she is not Anna.. :wavey:

BasicTennis
Mar 26th, 2003, 05:28 AM
If Marion continues to emulate Monica's game-style then I consider her future to be bleak.

With the current standard of play, using this Monica style becomes ineffective and could only offer more disadvantages rather than advantages.

Marion is still young to correct this but is she remains stubborn and stick with it then I would say bye bye Marion.:wave: She could only learn from Monica.:angel:

LeonHart
Mar 26th, 2003, 05:36 AM
Does she recieve serve farther back now? Or is she still way up in front of the baseline when recieving first serves?

brunof
Mar 26th, 2003, 05:50 AM
I think if she works on that serve, and maybe a bit more fitness and footwork she could crack the top 30. I love her game. But what is up with that serve? She bends down, and then, I dunno. It doesn't seem too fluid. Good pace, she hit a 105 today. I like her spirit, she fought from 0-40 on match point (?) to deuce, allowing Serena only 50% break point conversions. Good player; with a double bagel to poor Ally.

Dava
Mar 26th, 2003, 08:57 AM
Her playing style is very like Monica, her movement is not so good and she has those beutifull double handed strokes. I cant wait to see her talent develop on the tour.

BasicTennis
Mar 26th, 2003, 09:46 AM
Does she recieve serve farther back now? Or is she still way up in front of the baseline when recieving first serves?

still receives in front of the baseline.;)

I reiterate, she has no big future if she sticks to this passe Monica-game style. :worship:

Dava
Mar 26th, 2003, 09:50 AM

I reiterate, she has no big future if she sticks to this passe Monica-game style. :worship:

Yes she was practically half volleying the rturns back, but Serena was getting fustracted with it and she once served thre DFs in one game.

BasicTennis
Mar 26th, 2003, 10:08 AM
Yes she was practically half volleying the rturns back, but Serena was getting fustracted with it and she once served thre DFs in one game.

this is one great tactic that I've seen from Marion....it's like she wants to point out to her opponent that she doesn't fear any first or 2nd serves for that matter. In a way, I could feel that it has affected Serena's service game thinking that Marion doesn't respect her service game.

Marion could be a better player if she uses a single-handed forehand. :wavey:

Dava
Mar 26th, 2003, 10:12 AM
Marion could be a better player if she uses a single-handed forehand. :wavey:

I agree with this actually, I think that sometimes becuase she did not have great movement using two hand hindered her progress around the court.

Jordan.
Mar 26th, 2003, 10:34 AM
But she has always used two-hand on both sides all her life, so it's hard to just "change to a one-handed forehand."

BasicTennis
Mar 26th, 2003, 11:06 AM
But she has always used two-hand on both sides all her life, so it's hard to just "change to a one-handed forehand."

if she's really determined to get to the top then she must make tremendous sacrifices otherwise she'll become as just one of those WTA players. :sad:

Dennis
Mar 26th, 2003, 11:11 AM

Interresting !
People were talking the same crap when Monica started playing tennis and even when she was No 1. You have not learned much from history , obviously.

BasicTennis
Mar 26th, 2003, 11:14 AM
Interresting !
People were talking the same crap when Monica started playing tennis and even when she was No 1. You have not learned much from history , obviously.

LMAO Monica's game style was effective back then where her opponents are less talented and less powerful.;) We're talking about future here. :worship: :wavey: :worship: Her style has become a disadvantage to today's standard of play. Her results speak a thousand words. :sad:

Jordan.
Mar 26th, 2003, 11:19 AM
*getting depressed* :sad:

BasicTennis
Mar 26th, 2003, 11:22 AM
*getting depressed* :sad:

sorry if you're using two-fisted on both wings as well.;) believe me if you are still young then you could still change it.

Oizo
Mar 26th, 2003, 11:22 AM
I just fell in love with Marion :kiss:

BasicTennis
Mar 26th, 2003, 11:25 AM
Monica will be the last two-fisted on both wings player to achieve no.1 ranking and win Grandslam.;)

Marion change now, so Oizo would be more crazy about you.:hearts:

irma
Mar 26th, 2003, 11:33 AM
I don't think she will be like monica, come on monica was number 1 at her age

Jordan.
Mar 26th, 2003, 11:42 AM
I dont play two-handed on both sides.. ;)

williamsfan
Mar 26th, 2003, 11:43 AM
Is she the one that practices 11 hours a day?

BasicTennis
Mar 26th, 2003, 11:45 AM
I dont play two-handed on both sides.. ;)

so there's no reason for ya to get depressed....I predict a spicy future for ya.:kiss:

Jordan.
Mar 26th, 2003, 11:49 AM
Awwwwe thanks, but I just want Marion to do well, so it makes me sad.. :sad:

BasicTennis
Mar 26th, 2003, 11:58 AM
Awwwwe thanks, but I just want Marion to do well, so it makes me sad.. :sad:

then tell her not be stubborn to stick with this style otherwise you'll get depressed more with her upcoming results.;) don't she let her talent go to waste. :angel:

Jordan.
Mar 26th, 2003, 12:01 PM
I'm sure she would be very angry with me though. :angel:

BasicTennis
Mar 26th, 2003, 12:05 PM
I'm sure she would be very angry with me though. :angel:
It's better to tell the truth than pretend that everything is ok. :angel:
Eventually, she will be madly in love with you in case she hears your advice. :kiss:

Jordan.
Mar 26th, 2003, 12:06 PM
Oooooh, I would like that... :D But I have no contact with her... :eek: :sad:

selesadmirer
Mar 26th, 2003, 12:09 PM
Marion is a very hard worker, she has to get more power on her serve and get quicker..I was shocked when i saw her at the U.S open an saw her standing very far inside the baseline. :wavey:

bbypk
Mar 26th, 2003, 12:11 PM
I watched her match and i was surprised. She moves into the ball hitting it like the old Monica. She has to improve her shost. She used to play hard but mainly to the center of the court.

She has a great future

BasicTennis
Mar 26th, 2003, 12:12 PM
Oooooh, I would like that... :D But I have no contact with her... :eek: :sad:
you could hire Michael Jackson's Vodoo advisers, they could contact her spiritually for ya.hehehe..just kidding. :kiss: :wavey:

Jordan.
Mar 26th, 2003, 12:14 PM
LOL, she *is* very cute though, I wouldnt mind her loving me. :angel:

BasicTennis
Mar 26th, 2003, 12:17 PM
LOL, she *is* very cute though, I wouldnt mind her loving me. :angel:
unfortunately, marion hates spicy things.hehehe:devil: you've gotta change your username as well.:D just kidding.:eek:

Jordan.
Mar 26th, 2003, 12:17 PM
Cant do that, per4ever might roll his eyes at me in my name change thread as always.. :rolleyes: :angel: :p

I will be Sweet Bullet then! :p

BasicTennis
Mar 26th, 2003, 12:18 PM
bye:wavey:

bis2806
Mar 26th, 2003, 12:23 PM
bartoli looks old

Jordan.
Mar 26th, 2003, 12:25 PM
Bye BT.. :wavey:

Oizo
Mar 26th, 2003, 12:26 PM
Monica will be the last two-fisted on both wings player to achieve no.1 ranking and win Grandslam.;)

Marion change now, so Oizo would be more crazy about you.:hearts:

LOL :D

ktwtennis
Mar 26th, 2003, 12:38 PM
Who knows? Maybe this standing in on the serve will help her in the long run. Tracy Austin said at the US Open against Davenport that her coach has her do it to improve her hands...Eventually she could develop Agassi-like hands and amaze us all...