PDA

View Full Version : Cappy Requested Outkast CD Be Played

GogoGirl
Mar 25th, 2003, 11:58 PM
Btw - let's remember that one CAN NOT win them all - and Venus is no different. I love her attitude. "Back to the drawing board", she says.

And as the article below points out - Venus' last loss - other than to her Sister - was to Maggie M. last year @ Moscow. Come on now!

And check Jen-Jen out. I'll say!

http://sport.independent.co.uk/tennis/story.jsp?story=390805

Williams wilts as Shaughnessy strength tells
By John Roberts in Key Biscayne
26 March 2003

When Venus Williams said she was going back to the drawing board after losing to an American compatriot, Megan Shaughnessy, 7-6, 6-1, in the fourth round of the Nasdaq-100 Open here, one or two of us wondered if the world No 2 was planning to quit the game to concentrate on her business as an interior designer.

Apparently not. "I enjoy to compete," the older Williams sibling emphasised. "That's the whole thing of tennis. If you don't like to compete, then it's not a good sport to be in. I'm going to practise and go over to Europe [for the clay court season] in the beginning of May."

Aside from finishing second to her sister Serena in the last four Grand Slam singles championships, or being beaten by injuries, Venus, 22, does lose many matches in which she is still on her feet. Her last defeat to an outsider [someone not in the family] was to Magdalena Maleeva, of Bulgaria, in Moscow last September.

Monday night's match against Shaughnessy appeared to be moving towards a routine win for Venus after she took a 3-0 lead in the opening set, but her opponent fought back, won the tie-break, 7-2, and swept to a 5-0 lead in the second set. Only in the concluding two games, which took more than 20 minutes, did Shaughnessy's nerve waver, enabling Williams to save eight match points.

"It's impossible to win every match," Williams said. "I could not seem to get the ball to go in today. It's disappointing to lose, but she hit a lot of good shots."

Shaughnessy, a 23-year-old from Arizona, ranked No 22 in the world, had defeated Williams once in their previous six matches, in Stanford in 2001. Instead of wailing about the Williams sisters being too strong for everybody else, Shaughnessy decided to join the Athlete's Performance training programme and has gained 15 pounds of muscle over the last two years.

"My whole body has changed," she said. "I'm much stronger, faster, more flexible and more durable. When I walk on the court, there's not anybody that's going to beat me because I got tired or I wasn't fast enough. It's a confidence booster knowing that." In today's quarter-finals Shaughnessy will play another compatriot, Jennifer Capriati, the former world No 1, who has won their six previous matches.

Capriati's tennis has caused less of a stir here than the music she chose to accompany her arrival on court 'Bombs Over Baghdad' which is a 1999 rap record by Outkast. Bob Ruf, the court supervisor, was handed the CD by Capriati before her match against Sarah Taylor on Monday.

"I listened to it," Ruf said, "and after about 57 seconds a woman comes on and starts chanting, 'Bombs over Baghdad, bombs over Baghdad.' I said, 'We can't play that.'" A public relations representative from the women's tour persuaded Ruf to comply with Capriati's request, but he decided to play just the first 57 seconds.

"I wouldn't choose that [music]," Martina Navratilova said, "but it's a question of freedom of expression. If our own President says he wants somebody, dead or alive, then 'Bombs Over Baghdad' is not going that much further. It's Jennifer's choice. I'm not going to criticise that."

Andy Roddick chose 'Born in the USA' by Bruce Springsteen as his introduction on Sunday, when he lost to his compatriot Todd Martin, who advanced to the quarter-finals yesterday with a 6-3, 6-3 win against the Czech Radek Stepanek. Martin now plays Paradorn Srichaphan, of Thailand, who had a walkover when Marcelo Rios, of Chile, withdrew because of a back injury.
25 March 2003 18:58

Mrs. Peel
Mar 26th, 2003, 12:05 AM
Wait..I think I am going to be sick...Rios beats my honey Ferrrero only to retire in the next round with a back injury?!?!? :eek: :o :rolleyes:

What a waste...

Rocketta
Mar 26th, 2003, 12:26 AM
"Bombs Over Baghdad" Hey I'm starting to think Jenn has a funny sense of humor. :)

That song is so fast the only words anyone could make out would be Bombs over Baghdad.

-Sonic-
Mar 26th, 2003, 12:35 AM
!!!

Cybelle Darkholme
Mar 26th, 2003, 12:39 AM
Im just stunned she listens to Outkast. Then again she was shaking her groove thang at that black club.

Conchita forever
Mar 26th, 2003, 12:55 AM
Dickhead :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: The ATP Diva can't get any worse... :rolleyes:

Havok
Mar 26th, 2003, 01:08 AM
Dickhead :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: The ATP Diva can't get any worse... :rolleyes:
ah shut it

Rocketta
Mar 26th, 2003, 01:40 AM
Capriati gets ready for match to `Bombs Over Baghdad'

March 25, 2003
KEY BISCAYNE, Fla. (AP) -- At Jennifer Capriati's request, the 1999 Outkast song ``Bombs Over Baghdad'' was played on the stadium public-address system before her most recent match at the Nasdaq-100 Open.

``I like the song, and I wanted to support the troops,'' Capriati said Tuesday through WTA Tour spokesman.

Stadium court producer Bob Ruf said he previewed the rap song and was reluctant to play it. Ruf then listened to the song with a tour official, and they found a one-minute segment that they decided wouldn't offend anyone.

The chorus to the song goes: ``Don't pull the thang out unless you plan to bang, bombs over Baghdad. ... Don't even bang unless you plan to hit something, bombs over Baghdad.''

A Nasdaq official said the tournament received no complaints about the song. Capriati beat fellow American Sarah Taylor in the match Monday, 6-1, 6-0.

Andy Roddick requested the Bruce Springsteen hit ``Born in the USA'' for one of his matches earlier in the tournament.

Updated at Tue, Mar 25 2003, 8:20pm ET

harloo
Mar 26th, 2003, 02:41 AM
ROTFLMAO! Jen gets points with me for requesting this song. LOL@Bombs Over Bagdad! I love Outcast.

tennischick
Mar 26th, 2003, 02:51 AM
maybe Lisa Lisa is rubbing off on her...:o :o

Crazy Canuck
Mar 26th, 2003, 04:24 AM
Wait..I think I am going to be sick...Rios beats my honey Ferrrero only to retire in the next round with a back injury?!?!? :eek: :o :rolleyes:

What a waste...
This was my initial thought as well. I was thinking "dude, why couldn't you have done this a round earlier" :o But really, it's Ferrero's fault for losing, not Rios' for winning ;)

As for the song - lol :o I think that she had every right to ask for that though, and I'm not sure that it would have mattered if they cut it off or not.

geoepee
Mar 26th, 2003, 04:40 AM
ROTFLMAO! Jen gets points with me for requesting this song. LOL@Bombs Over Bagdad! I love Outcast.
all I can say is,... wow.

Speaking of OutKast, here's a little trivia for you. Serena Williams' pitbull was given to her as a gift from BigBoi of the rap group OutKast. :)

Blazedboy
Mar 26th, 2003, 07:56 AM
I really like outkast and the song, but for Capriati to request that be played to a whloe stadium when we are at war with Iraq is a bit offensive. I guess its because I am against the war...

Dava
Mar 26th, 2003, 09:09 AM
Outkast rule, and they would be great to practise to.

Beat
Mar 26th, 2003, 10:36 AM
Andy Roddick chose 'Born in the USA' by Bruce Springsteen as his introduction on Sunday

the most misunderstood song ever! and what a fucking surprise roddick didn't get the meaning of the song either. twat.

Iconoclast
Mar 26th, 2003, 01:05 PM
the most misunderstood song ever! and what a fucking surprise roddick didn't get the meaning of the song either. twat.
We can't necessarily assume that he doesn't understand the meaning of the song, but it's certainly a qualified guess that he doesn't have a clue. Apparently, some people pay little attention to anything beyond the title and the chorus.

However, while it is an indictment of the treatment of Vietnam vets, and that war in general, I don't think we can prohibit anyone from interpreting it as a patriotic ode if they are so inclined.

I guess Roddick felt it would really set him apart from Todd Martin, who we all know is from French Guyana.

~ The Leopard ~
Mar 26th, 2003, 01:20 PM
lmao@ iconoclast :D

decemberlove
Mar 26th, 2003, 01:27 PM
love outkast

people are so easily offended.

Cariaoke
Mar 26th, 2003, 01:28 PM
Cappy and Outkast? who knew. but she did like it "Hot in Herre". :o

I knew BOB would come back to life at the start of this war. A-T-L... "Bob your head. Rag top."

jenny161185
Mar 26th, 2003, 03:07 PM
I can imagine jen strutting her stuff to outcast, what a classy lady

Hulet
Mar 26th, 2003, 03:26 PM
pfff @ Jenn and her choice of music.

Anyways, Go ahead and beat Meghan. :)

caramel
Mar 26th, 2003, 03:52 PM
Wow , Jenn has a great music taste. ;) I want Meghann to beat her tonight though. :D

Dennis
Mar 26th, 2003, 04:10 PM

DISGUSTING !

Is all I can say

Mike
Mar 26th, 2003, 04:21 PM
Her last defeat to an outsider [someone not in the family] was to Magdalena Maleeva, of Bulgaria, in Moscow last September.

the last time venus lost to someone other than serena was to kim

eshell
Mar 26th, 2003, 07:38 PM
The Capster is gaining some new respect from me. She has an African American personal trainer and now Outkast.

Will wonders never cease???

I may just have to start cheering for JCap.

:)

Jennifer's wife
Mar 26th, 2003, 07:59 PM
Jens taste in music is cooool!! :bounce: if she chose the song in honour of the troops then great. :worship: if its just she has an ironic sense of humour, then im gettin a twitch on right about now! ;) :devil: :lick:

GogoGirl
Mar 26th, 2003, 08:22 PM
Nike78uk - you are right. I completely forgot about Venus' loss to Kim - and I meant no slight to Kim. I was just going by the article - and my slow self didn't even think about the end of the year championship.

Thanks for pointing that out.

TennisHack
Mar 26th, 2003, 08:27 PM
We can't necessarily assume that he doesn't understand the meaning of the song, but it's certainly a qualified guess that he doesn't have a clue. Apparently, some people pay little attention to anything beyond the title and the chorus.

However, while it is an indictment of the treatment of Vietnam vets, and that war in general, I don't think we can prohibit anyone from interpreting it as a patriotic ode if they are so inclined.

I guess Roddick felt it would really set him apart from Todd Martin, who we all know is from French Guyana.

LMAO!!

JCAP
Mar 26th, 2003, 09:56 PM
OutKast :eek: :eek: I love there music :worship: !! i think this is so cool Jen supporting the troops like this :kiss: They should have played the whole bloody song, they only played the first 50 something seconds :mad: Capster :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:

Luna_Angel_84
Mar 26th, 2003, 10:26 PM
To be honest here I'm disappointed that she chose to have it played, but I'm not going to comment anymore on it because we're entitled to our own opinions on the war.

Pdm1987
Mar 26th, 2003, 10:30 PM
I'm starting to like Jennifer even more now, she obviously has an excellent sense of humour.
LOL

Luna_Angel_84
Mar 26th, 2003, 10:33 PM
I have my doubts over whether she was attempting to be funny or not. :o

CC
Mar 26th, 2003, 10:53 PM
"Moon Over Miami" would have been so much nicer.

CondiLicious
Mar 26th, 2003, 11:11 PM
She's sick