PDA

View Full Version : Let's face it, VENUS deserved to lose.

TeeRexx
Mar 25th, 2003, 10:28 PM
The recent NASDAQ-100 loss by VENUS to Shaugnessy seems to be just what the oldest Willaims deserved at this time. As one of the more loyal fans of VENUS, I am sometimes a little disheartened by her, at times, laissez-faire attitude towards her tennis career.

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20030324/capt.1048564093nasdaq_100_open_fkb134.jpg

VENUS would not be able to play tennis forever, even if that was her desire, which it certainly is not, but it would do her good stead to put a maximum effort towards this activity, because she will, at most, only be able to be on top of the tour for 4-5 years at the very most.

While VENUS was selecting Louis the XIV furniture to go in her clients homes, Meghann was pumping iron in Arizona, instead of finally working out the technical chinks in her troublesome serve, she was picking out the right pattern, color and material for some rich guys drapes. While Meghann was doing her daily 5 mile runs and working on her overall game. I hope that VENUS was very happy with the imported Italian china that she purchased during the time that she could have finally fine tuned her erratic forehand.

Well, I guess having a classically styled sitting parlor is much more fullfilling than getting to the finals of the 5th largest tournament in the world and defeating her sister or whomever else she would happen to face in that encounter.

BK4ever
Mar 25th, 2003, 10:36 PM
scathing but so true...

kiwifan
Mar 25th, 2003, 10:37 PM
Gotta give credit where credit's due... :cool:

"Workin' Day and Night" - King Of Pop

WtaTour4Ever
Mar 25th, 2003, 10:38 PM
I respect your opinion, however,I wouldn't say DESERVED to lose, she lost, hopefully this will get her in gear. I'm glad it happened here rather than a slam.

Regardless from the little I saw Meghan DESERVED to win.

Helen Lawson
Mar 25th, 2003, 10:45 PM
How much time does Venus really spend on the decorating business? I am not trying to imply anything negative, I am just curious. Is it something she put her name on and others do all the work and it is something she has started now and hopes to do post-tennis career, or is she really involved a lot right now? Meghann beat her in Stanford in 2001 when Venus was smoking hot and playing great. Is there something about Meghann's game than brings out the "bad" in Venus? Sometimes players just do not mesh well.

Rocketta
Mar 25th, 2003, 11:00 PM
How much time does Venus really spend on the decorating business? I am not trying to imply anything negative, I am just curious. Is it something she put her name on and others do all the work and it is something she has started now and hopes to do post-tennis career, or is she really involved a lot right now? Meghann beat her in Stanford in 2001 when Venus was smoking hot and playing great. Is there something about Meghann's game than brings out the "bad" in Venus? Sometimes players just do not mesh well.

I think whenever Venus is not playing in a tournament she is spending a part of her day dealing with the business. That's pretty much every day that she is not playing a tournament.

Venus your @ss needs to add a tournament in April!!! :( :(

Pureracket
Mar 25th, 2003, 11:12 PM
I saw this match, and I was thinking that something had to have been wrong with Venus. (My goodness, nobody can beat her 5-0 in a set). Then I saw that Miss Meghan was just administering a good ol' fashioned butt whippin' to my Venus. The only positive thing about this loss is the fact that Venus seems relatively healthy.

SerenaSlam
Mar 25th, 2003, 11:28 PM
but also, watching the match, venus leading 3-0, she seemed to deceide to just back off w/ her serve and her shots. i still don't get it, i watched it again, got pissed at Venus, and decided to tape serena over her. I don't know why, but Venus just decided to let up in the match. She didn't press like she was at the beginning.

Jakeev
Mar 26th, 2003, 12:42 AM
Just read TeeRex's post and almost had a coronary at my computer chair.......

But, reading his post made me realize how true a Wiliams fan TeeRex is. So for that I take my cap off for a true tennis fan concerned about his fave.

1jackson2001
Mar 26th, 2003, 12:52 AM
I'd like to call it "Meghann deserved to win". ;)

nander
Mar 26th, 2003, 02:27 AM
[QUOTE='TeeRexx']The recent NASDAQ-100 loss by VENUS to Shaugnessy seems to be just what the oldest Willaims deserved at this time. As one of the more loyal fans of VENUS, I am sometimes a little disheartened by her, at times, laissez-faire attitude towards her tennis career.

As a long time fan I tend to agree. I haven't been able to understand what is going on for sometime now. So Serena beat her but surely not 4 times in a row!!
And then she seemed to have managed her points and ranking so badly in terms of the tournaments that she chooses to play. Surely it is not rocket science to work out what needs to be done in order to maintain her status. Same rubbish when she was briefly number #1.
If she doesn't care then she should quit. Maybe she is just not hungry enough. There are so many other players who show sense and dedication who could move up the ladder. Meghann comes to mind. Congratulations to her.

selesfan
Mar 26th, 2003, 02:38 AM

Venus said she does alot of the offic work herself.

Mad-About-Venus
Mar 26th, 2003, 02:49 AM
I am starting to believe that the reason why she doesn't want to play more tournaments is not because she wants to stay healthy, but because she wants more time for her other career. I know I am not in position to tell her this, but I don't think it's a good move.

She's got nothing but tones of points coming off untill she plays again in Warsaw, and Kim is wining like crazy. She will be number 3 soon, which means she will play Serena in the semis of every Slam. No matter how I look at it, it just looks bad.

It hurts to say all this because I am Mad-About-Her, but it's the way it is. What Teerexx said is plain and simple truth.

harloo
Mar 26th, 2003, 02:56 AM
Well, I am upset over Vee's loss, but I think motivation has to come from within. None of us fans know what Vee is going through right now. She might just be tired of the tour at this point. Also, remember last year got to the finals and played terrible and still beat Capriati. IMO, Vee really feels that she can go in a tournament without much preparation and still win. I mean it worked for a while, but now the other girls are pumping iron and getting better. So, she can't afford to do that anymore.

Saw the little of the match and Megan was playing well, but still Vee seemed to not be too prepared for the challenge to step up like she usually does. Hopefully this will motivate her to get back in gear, but if it doesn't then that's her choice.

Mad-About-Venus
Mar 26th, 2003, 03:04 AM
Exactly harloo, I think that's exactly the point. Venus and Serena raised the bar when they joined the tour in the late nineties. But guess what, other players have been doing their homework and are finally catching up. So both Williamses (especially Venus) will need to work harder than they were used to to get through the draws. Venus cannot lay back and say, oh I can just show up and intimidate them with my presence. They are used to her presence and they are challenging her now.

Venus, you need to take the serioustly now. Please do it for us we need you!!! :hearts:

CJ07
Mar 26th, 2003, 03:20 AM
I love V, but if she wants to spend time in the office, and not on the court, thats her choice.

She just fell victim to a player on tour. That doesnt change anything. She did mind you beat H-H, Clijsters, Hantuchova (2ice) fairly easily this year, and nearly beat Serena. She knows what shes doing
and if thats what she wants to do, so be it.

1jackson2001
Mar 26th, 2003, 03:55 AM
lol at your siggy mmcdonald :D :kiss:

Tennis Fool
Mar 26th, 2003, 04:01 AM
Wow, I haven't heard this much negativity against a top player since Seles' last loss:eek:

gweeny
Mar 26th, 2003, 04:10 AM
Maybe she feels that she cannot improve her serve even if she tries. her technique might just not be able to be fixed. I just hope that she is not considering retiring, because that will be a tragedy. Her interest in tennis has definetly decreased. I don't see the passion and drive anymore. :sad:

But it is just one loss, it's not like she is loosing to every lower-ranked player.

BasicTennis
Mar 26th, 2003, 04:13 AM
It's pure and simple....Venus needs to work as hard as the other players if she wants to stay competitive.

They set the standard where gradually the other players are getting to that standard. So, Venus now needs to raise her standard.

Philbo
Mar 26th, 2003, 04:16 AM
good post, truth spoken...

Crazy Canuck
Mar 26th, 2003, 04:18 AM
She will be number 3 soon, which means she will play Serena in the semis of every Slam.

Does the number 4 player not have the same chance of playing number one as the number 3 player does? In which case, her odds for playing Serena each slam are only 50%.

Although, one has to wonder. Would Serena-Kim all the time, be as boring as Venus-Serena all the time? ;) ;)

Seenus
Mar 26th, 2003, 04:20 AM
but also, watching the match, venus leading 3-0, she seemed to deceide to just back off w/ her serve and her shots. i still don't get it, i watched it again, got pissed at Venus, and decided to tape serena over her. I don't know why, but Venus just decided to let up in the match. She didn't press like she was at the beginning.

Venus is not fit

CJ07
Mar 26th, 2003, 04:25 AM
ok Meg was ON FIRE

so Venus lost WHO CARES!!!
She beat Justine Henin 6-3 6-3
Kim Clijsters 6-2 6-4
Daniela Hantuchova 6-1 6-4

all those just a few weeks ago, V had a bad day at the office, give the girl a break!

Philbo
Mar 26th, 2003, 04:27 AM
Rebecca is right, she will only have 50% chance of playing Serena in semi's, 3 and 4 seeds are drawn - not placed in the draw..

BasicTennis
Mar 26th, 2003, 04:34 AM
ok Meg was ON FIRE

so Venus lost WHO CARES!!!
She beat Justine Henin 6-3 6-3
Kim Clijsters 6-2 6-4
Daniela Hantuchova 6-1 6-4

all those just a few weeks ago, V had a bad day at the office, give the girl a break!

LMAO:D don't you think Venus had too much break already for playing less tournament. :worship:

Informative
Mar 26th, 2003, 05:30 AM
Meghann won and Venus lost last night. End of story. The rest of the endless idle speculations about her "desire to win" are simply irrelevant. Venus is BY FAR the best player in the WTA outside of Serena and if she had won only TWO of her matches with her sister Serena in 2002 she would be # 1 even now. So let's lighten up on Venus and give Meghann credit for her hard fought victory this time out. She deserved to win. Neither Venus nor Serena can win them all...

TeeRexx
Mar 26th, 2003, 06:45 AM
I hope that VENUS just hit a speed bump against a very much improved and determined player and that she has not lost heart.

I still believe that VENUS started that company to soon, but maybe she wants to keep up with the off court successes of her little sis.

VENUS still needs to let the designer work more with the company while she works on her serve and forehand.

BasicTennis
Mar 26th, 2003, 06:53 AM
Venus' rivals should start making tons of order from Venus' company so she won't have time to practice already.:D

joao
Mar 26th, 2003, 07:01 AM
The outcome of Venus-Shaughnessy match was not surprising after all. In her match against Gagliardi, Venus was already showing signs of "bad form" or whatever you wanna call it : she looked bored at the beginning, her forehand was wayyyyy off, she was double-faulting like hell ... against Meghan, she pretty much did the same! But Shaughnessy is no Gagliardi. Venus didn't look bored last night, and even started well but then all of a sudden, she started to make mistakes, double-faults, UEs on both forehands and backhands ... and I think when she saw how Meghan was all over her 2nd serve she just started to panic ... and nothing went well after that! She tried hard to come-back at the end, and she might have come-back had she won 1 or 2 more games ... but too little too late!

Unfortunately, Meghan had a very good day and played extremely well on a day where Venus was off ... and we all know that this is probably the only way, a player can nowadays beat a Williams sister. But at her best, Venus is so much better than Shaughnessy! It's not even a contest!

Venus can not win all the time but it scares me to see that she can be so vulnerable sometimes! And to see that she's not doing anything about this awfull 2nd serve of hers, makes me wanna scream! It's not like she doesn't have time to work on it ... 3 tournaments in 3 months should leave her plenty of time to practice and do her business!

I'm glad she's playing Fed Cup though. In an interview, I read that BJK wants to help Venus with her serve! Hopefully, she'll get some nice tips and her training during the Fed Cup week will benefit her!