PDA

View Full Version : Marion Bartoli has shown other players a thing to do when playing Serena!

Yak
Mar 25th, 2003, 07:35 PM
Get inside the well inside the baseline to return her second serve. Since Serena has a lot of spin on her second serve, why not take it on the rise? I think it's something to do that could be done by someone else...

Jordan.
Mar 25th, 2003, 07:36 PM
Marion didnt play bad at all... she just didnt convert alot of game points, the real score was probaly like a 6-3 6-3.. but nice match from both, Go Marion! :D

GoDominique
Mar 25th, 2003, 07:44 PM
Get inside the well inside the baseline to return her second serve. Since Serena has a lot of spin on her second serve, why not take it on the rise? I think it's something to do that could be done by someone else...
I heard that Marion always does that, no matter who she plays. ;)

tennischick
Mar 25th, 2003, 07:44 PM
Marion needs to hold her serve. she does a fine job of breaking Serena but can't hold her serve for crap. then again, it's Serena we're talking here...:p

SerenaSlam
Mar 25th, 2003, 07:48 PM
Marion did very well returning the serve, but always consider players learn from things, and I doubt serena will just accept someone attacking her second serve like that. If it does come along that her second serve ends up attackable, serena will figure out a way out of that problem as well. but nice job my Bartoli:)

harloo
Mar 25th, 2003, 07:53 PM
Marion needs to hold her serve. she does a fine job of breaking Serena but can't hold her serve for crap. then again, it's Serena we're talking here...:p

What amazed me was every time Marion broke rena in the second set, Rena would break right back like it wasn't anything. Marion is a good player though, because I feel rena had to work to win this one. The score doesn't tell the story because she was working the points, but rena would always come up with a winner.

BK4ever
Mar 25th, 2003, 08:02 PM
Marions stance on the return is one of the major reasons why she has done so well. She is not that fast, and having two hands on both sides doesnt help. She needs to rob the server of time in order to get herself into position.

Yes other players could try this stance, against any player. (everything always has to do with the WS)But you have to have impeccable timing to consistently take the ball on the rise and not let it get too high on you.

If Marion can work out the kinks in her serve and work on her footspeed, I think she can have a great future.

For those of u have never seen her before, she usually stands much closer to the service line than she did today.

TheBoiledEgg
Mar 25th, 2003, 08:03 PM
you should see where Marion stands when she returns against mortals ;)

brunof
Mar 25th, 2003, 08:36 PM
I really like her game, it's much like Seles' obviously, but very good. She needs to work a bit on fitness maybe and work on the serve and make it a bit more consistant. It's a shame she never held serve. She can pick up the pace quite well, and seemed pretty determinded. Egg, have you see her play when she was a junior champ? Mary Jo commented that she often stood just behind the box. Is this correct? Go Marion! :)

Hawk
Mar 25th, 2003, 08:40 PM
I was impressed with the returns as well..she put Serena on the defense right off the bat. What she's lacking is speed. If she was a little quicker I think she could have won a few more points and made the score closer than it was.

TheBoiledEgg
Mar 25th, 2003, 08:42 PM
only seen her once or twice
and yep she's quite often stands near the service box to return :eek:

thats the way she grew up playing.
her returns have always been her strength, needs more work on serve.

Julian
Mar 25th, 2003, 08:42 PM
Absoultely she'll be a player to watch. I can understand why she was so good in the juniors but hopefully she won't be one of those players who do great in the juniors and not so well in the actual WTA tour (a la Salerni and Perebiynis :() And yes she has always been inside that box. I first took notice when she beat Arantxa at last year's U.S. Open, she whacked Arantxa's ball like it was a piece of cake when she had a 2nd serve and IMO it can only get better from here. I just wish she could add more angles into her game and better at net and she'll definitely be up there. :)

WtaTour4Ever
Mar 25th, 2003, 08:57 PM
Its too bad she didn't get to play against seles....

Shooter
Mar 25th, 2003, 09:23 PM
I saw her play in the qualies at Indian Wells. She played the same style there - taking the ball very early whenever possible. Can't remember seeing anyone do that to that extent. If you look at her upper body during her strokes you see that she's always reaching forward to make contact with the ball. I also remember thinking that her groundies looked a bit awkward, perhaps cramped in a way. This probably has something to do with her hitting two-handed off both sides. She seemed like one of the better players in the qualies.

http://www.mfwweb.com/tennis/Shooter.jpg

Monica_Rules
Mar 25th, 2003, 09:52 PM
Its good to see so many posative posts on Marion.I think she has a good future!

korben
Mar 26th, 2003, 01:14 AM
When I first saw Marion it what against Lindsay in last years U.S.Open

Was looking in disbelief as she took Linds massive first serves about meter inside. Lindsay hit 11 aces in that match. And won 27 of 28 1st serves. So wasn´t working very well in that occasion.

nander
Mar 26th, 2003, 01:38 AM
When I first saw Marion it what against Lindsay in last years U.S.Open

Was looking in disbelief as she took Linds massive first serves about meter inside. Lindsay hit 11 aces in that match. And won 27 of 28 1st serves. So wasn´t working very well in that occasion.

I watched that match too and wondered why she didn't change when clearly the strategy was not working. Didn't realise how young she was.