PDA

View Full Version : Anna is a bigger star then Serena. LIVE WITH IT.

selesrules
Mar 25th, 2003, 07:11 PM
And this is not a diss at Serena. But some people need a reality check. ANNA KOURNIKOVA is more popular then Serena, that's a fact that everyone needs to "get". So instead of complaining that "they put anna's pic instead of serena" or blah blah blah, go take a nap it's more productive. Stop hating Anna every chance you get, stop being jealous. She will always be #1 in tennis in terms of marketing. Even if she's ranked #3500 and Serena is #1, Anna will always be ahead when it comes to marketing a tournament. Go search on internet for "Serena Williams" and then search for "Anna Kournikova". You'll see that Anna is a bigger star, she's everywhere. Heck even if you search for the word "sex", most sex sites would have something about Anna. She's an icon. She's bigger then life. She is.......... :worship: ANNA KOURNIKOVA :worship: Is it fair that she gets more attention then Serena in tournaments? WHO CARES. It's a fact so live with it and move on.

cooolconchita
Mar 25th, 2003, 07:16 PM
absolutely correct! :)

but also attached to the kournikova name is 'the girl who has never won a tournament'

I'm sure Serena is really bothered :rolleyes:

selesrules
Mar 25th, 2003, 07:18 PM
absolutely correct! :)

but also attached to the kournikova name is 'the girl who has never won a tournament'

I'm sure Serena is really bothered :rolleyes:

Serena doesn't care. I'm talking about some tennis fans and most precisely Anna haters. They need to accept the facts and move on.

irma
Mar 25th, 2003, 07:18 PM
I thought you made it in america when you where in the sport illustrated swimsuit magazine;)

Rocketta
Mar 25th, 2003, 07:38 PM
I thought you made it in america when you where in the sport illustrated swimsuit magazine;)

and on the cover of ESPN saying we got NOW!

I think SR you need to find peace with the fact that Anna K is not as popular as the dirty old men want you to believe and LIVE WITH IT!

RAA
Mar 25th, 2003, 07:48 PM
I actually don't care that much what they do with Anna K's face as long as my faves walk away with the trophy. until that time, she'll be irrelevant to me.

however, i did just see a poll that had Serena as the most highly recognized female athlete, just in front of Anna K. and in terms of current magazine covers, Serena also was ahead of Anna K.
sorry I don't have the cite for the poll, i'll try and dig and find it. but i do remember that serena outpolled Anna K just recently. does anyone else remember seeing that?

anyway, I agree that some people get worked up over this issue. Marketing/advertising is not a "fair" endeavor, where those who work hardest get recognized. its not based on a merit system of any type or how well you play tennis/basketball/gold whatever. that is what the rankings are for and what tournaments are for. and if you look both at how anna does in tournaments and in the rankings, then it is quite clear who is "bigger".

Mad-About-Venus
Mar 25th, 2003, 07:54 PM
I wonder how much Serena cares about this issue anyway. I bet you anything Anna would trade a little bit of fame for one of Serena's Tier25 titles.

Rocketta
Mar 25th, 2003, 08:03 PM
who says Serena or Anna cares about this issue. I care about it cause its my money. I would hope Serena wouldn't care too much.

Cybelle Darkholme
Mar 25th, 2003, 08:05 PM
Um, Anna who?

Volcana
Mar 25th, 2003, 08:10 PM
selesrules -

When I walk by my local newsstand, it's Serena who's on magazine covers, not Anna.

When I'm seeing interviews with athletes in other sports, it's Serena they talk about, not Anna.

It's Serena I see in TV commercials, not Anna

It's Serena who's getting major endorsement contracts NOW, not Anna.

So as long as it's Serena on magazine covers, Serena in commercials, Serena getting the major endorsements and Serena other world class athletes talk about then SURRRRRRRE, Anna's a bigger star than Serena.

If you only poll Russian hockey players.

eshell
Mar 25th, 2003, 08:19 PM
Preach, Volcana!

;)

tazban1
Mar 25th, 2003, 08:29 PM
When I walk by my local newsstand, it's Serena who's on magazine covers, not Anna.....

Um, of COURSE Serena's better known in America, but internationally Anna's better known. The place you live in is not the whole world. :rolleyes:

irma
Mar 25th, 2003, 08:50 PM
If I had to choose I would rather be in serena's position (including a sis who cooks for me;)) then anna's

anna might be so popular but they also laugh her out a lot too in the media for being the pretty player who can't win.

martina said it already anna would love to change her fame with my grand slam titles!

BK4ever
Mar 25th, 2003, 09:05 PM
Who cares :rolleyes:

Rocketta has a good point, but being in the Advertising business...I know how it works and sex sells...

*JR*
Mar 25th, 2003, 09:16 PM
I guess Anna is still a bigger celebrity since in promoting Rena's TV cameo as a teacher, they referred to her as "tennis star Serena Williams". I guess Anna's name alone still needs no preface, sort of like Madonna. I suspect that gap is alot narrower than Serena's lead in tennis achievements. I'm also relatively confident that Anna would gladly "trade places", and Rena would laugh @ the mere suggestion. Also that Serena is alot happier as a person. And I strongly doubt that she would ever take money that was based on pretending 2B single when she was married or divorced. So I guess one can structure a thread title so that it's technically true, even if it omits and distorts what counts. So Steam, I guess I found an actual troll on this board after all. Anna, with friends like selesrules... :rolleyes:

WhatTheDeuce
Mar 25th, 2003, 09:35 PM
I guess Anna is still a bigger celebrity since in promoting Rena's TV cameo as a teacher, they referred to her as "tennis star Serena Williams". I guess Anna's name alone still needs no preface, sort of like Madonna. I suspect that gap is alot narrower than Serena's lead in tennis achievements. I'm also relatively confident that Anna would gladly "trade places", and Rena would laugh @ the mere suggestion. Also that Serena is alot happier as a person. And I strongly doubt that she would ever take money that was based on pretending 2B single when she was married or divorced. So I guess one can structure a thread title so that it's technically true, even if it omits and distorts what counts. So Steam, I guess I found an actual troll on this board after all. Anna, with friends like selesrules... :rolleyes:

i agree rd, for once LOL :)...i mean, anna may be more popular but its for the reasons that dont matter, sadly :rolleyes:

Julian
Mar 25th, 2003, 09:38 PM
It was so interesting today. In my French class we took a poll of who are favorite tennis players were, there were only 4 answers:

Serena
Venus
Anna
Andre Agassi

Interestingly enough, most of the guys said Anna and most of the girls chose Serena (then Venus).

spencercarlos
Mar 25th, 2003, 09:44 PM
And this is not a diss at Serena. But some people need a reality check. ANNA KOURNIKOVA is more popular then Serena, that's a fact that everyone needs to "get". So instead of complaining that "they put anna's pic instead of serena" or blah blah blah, go take a nap it's more productive. Stop hating Anna every chance you get, stop being jealous. She will always be #1 in tennis in terms of marketing. Even if she's ranked #3500 and Serena is #1, Anna will always be ahead when it comes to marketing a tournament. Go search on internet for "Serena Williams" and then search for "Anna Kournikova". You'll see that Anna is a bigger star, she's everywhere. Heck even if you search for the word "sex", most sex sites would have something about Anna. She's an icon. She's bigger then life. She is.......... :worship: ANNA KOURNIKOVA :worship: Is it fair that she gets more attention then Serena in tournaments? WHO CARES. It's a fact so live with it and move on.

Great post Selesrules :rolleyes:

Yes Anna receives more attention than Serena in tournaments, of course when she is playing her 1st round match and loses. Donīt we get to see Serena more when she always reach the latter stages of events???? Now who gets more attention?

Not to mention endoresments and racket sponsorships that Serena has are not far from Kournikovaīs overall marketting earnings.

I really miss your "End of the Story" quote at the end of this thread. :rolleyes:

Light-skinned Girl
Mar 25th, 2003, 09:47 PM
Hate Anna or not she has *major* drawing power! You *don't* need to remind her fans that she *hasn't* won a singles title (we're really *immune* to that at this point) but please don't be *bitter* because she's the *most* popular player on the WTA.

Crazy Canuck
Mar 25th, 2003, 09:49 PM
The very people that Anna is so popular with are the people who boo her off the court, laugh at her, and talk about how "she's really hot, but man she sucks".

I should know - I was at her USO 2002 match.

spencercarlos
Mar 25th, 2003, 09:49 PM
Ops yes you did sort of that "accept it and move on" lol again :p

Crazy Canuck
Mar 25th, 2003, 09:50 PM
Hate Anna or not she has *major* drawing power! You *don't* need to remind her fans that she *hasn't* won a singles title (we're really *immune* to that at this point) but please don't be *bitter* because she's the *most* popular player on the WTA.
Few are bitter that she is the object of mockary for so many. See my previous post.

Crazy Canuck
Mar 25th, 2003, 09:51 PM
I might also add, that Anna gets next to zero respect from athletes in other sports. For example, Jennie Finch, when asked, said that she saw Anna as a Model first, tennis player second.

So Anna may sell more posters worldwide, but the fact is that a lot of the people buying them don't respect her. Deal with THAT.

spencercarlos
Mar 25th, 2003, 10:03 PM
I donīt hate Anna at all, in fact iīm praying to se her win a tittle. But oh man, how can you say that Anna is such a big star, earning thing, when you know how much the Williams sisters are known, and how much they have contribute to the sport. In fact they have changed the way the game is being played. For sure Anna tops Serena when we talk about beauty. But iīm sure Serena has as much fans that Anna K could have, and earnings as much as the beautiful blonde girl could have as well.

Crazy Canuck
Mar 25th, 2003, 10:05 PM
For sure Anna tops Serena when we talk about beauty.

And this of course, is irrelevant, as there are many would beg to differ.

*JR*
Mar 25th, 2003, 10:08 PM
Hate Anna or not she has *major* drawing power! You *don't* need to remind her fans that she *hasn't* won a singles title (we're really *immune* to that at this point) but please don't be *bitter* because she's the *most* popular player on the WTA. I can't speak for anyone else, LSG. But I don't hate ANNA, I hate a virtual enterprise I've called "Anna, Inc." B4. In a sense, the person has become a prisoner of the "business". I seriously think that if @ age 14 Anna had been allowed 2C the future, she would have limited the glamour stuff to @ most what Barbara Schett or Mary Pierce did. Remember, even Princess Di, the ultimate tabloid seller, was "desperately seeking relevance" B4 her death, with the anti-land mine campaign, etc.

1jackson2001
Mar 26th, 2003, 12:32 AM
She may be a bigger "star"...but is she a bigger "tennis star"? Some days I forget tennis is Anna's profession. ;)

nander
Mar 26th, 2003, 02:15 AM
She may be a bigger "star"...but is she a bigger "tennis star"? Some days I forget tennis is Anna's profession. ;)

Exactly. Bigger at what?
To digress slightly..... I wonder who of the Russians is the most popular in Russia? Maybe TBE could say.

selesfan
Mar 26th, 2003, 02:26 AM
Um, of COURSE Serena's better known in America, but internationally Anna's better known. The place you live in is not the whole world. :rolleyes:

But what is she better known for is the question. ;) Serena has it all over her in every department. :)

GoGoMaggie
Mar 26th, 2003, 02:50 AM
In terms of popularity the bigger startis Anna hands down. In terms of recognition, it's a close call. Of course in the states, Serena is better known for an obvious reason. In my country, Anna is the more famous one of the two but very few know she actually plays tennis. I bet many of those who know her recognize her as a model or holleywood star not a tennis player.
Whose life wouuld be happier? Who knows... You would have to be them.. I would prefer Anna's as I'm too lazy to put in the hard work Serena does and looks like Anna makes money more easily than Serena.

selesfan
Mar 26th, 2003, 02:59 AM
And this of course, is irrelevant, as there are many would beg to differ.

Good point Rebecca. I don't get the fascination with her, but maybe that is because I am a woman, I think she is attractive but nothing special.

harloo
Mar 26th, 2003, 03:16 AM
Selesrules,

At what price is Anna more popular? She has sold her soul and now she's paying for it. Sorry, but that video she did with Enrique proved that to me. Anytime you do a video with someone fu$#!!! you in a car then you have no integrity.

Yes, she does draw 13 year old boys, and dirty old men who love to wank off to her calendar. These fans probably don't even like tennis, just looking at Anna make a fool of herself on court.

I have more respect for the other russian girls. Dinara, Bovina, Safina, etc. have not fallen for the trap of thinking that showing a little arse will get them respect.

BTW, I am not jealous of Anna either. I just think she is an embarassment to women's sports and it's ashame that she cannot even win a tournament when others from her country have won at least one.

Mad-About-Venus
Mar 26th, 2003, 03:22 AM
[QUOTE='harloo']Selesrules,

At what price is Anna more popular? She has sold her soul and now she's paying for it. Sorry, but that video she did with Enrique proved that to me. Anytime you do a video with someone fu$#!!! you in a car then you have no integrity.

and a bathroom too, don't forget....

King Lindsay
Mar 26th, 2003, 03:32 AM
selesrules and Serenaslam should hook up. They both like to "tell it like it is" and give "reality checks". i think they'd be a perfect fit.

1jackson2001
Mar 26th, 2003, 03:42 AM
selesrules and Serenaslam should hook up. They both like to "tell it like it is" and give "reality checks". i think they'd be a perfect fit.

hehe

Nan Cu
Mar 26th, 2003, 03:48 AM
Is it fair that she gets more attention then Serena in tournaments? WHO CARES. It's a fact so live with it and move on.

And having Anna in the field at Indian Wells so packed the stadium </sarcasm>

Nan Cu
Mar 26th, 2003, 03:49 AM
I msut point out that Maxim magazine has stopped featuring her in their monthly magazine.

Nan Cu
Mar 26th, 2003, 03:56 AM
Puh-lees. The resason Anna got as famous as she did was because she did well in tournaments when she first came on the scene. Now that she loses early expect her to start hearing and seeing a lot less fo her.

Serena, OTOH...

Miranda
Mar 26th, 2003, 04:03 AM
starting this thread makes our beloved monica got critisised :rolleyes: :rolleyes: , is that what you want :rolleyes:

tazban1
Mar 26th, 2003, 08:29 AM
But what is she better known for is the question. ;) Serena has it all over her in every department. :)

NO, that was NOT the question. The topic was merely "Who is more famous". My reply was to someone claiming that the fact that Serena is more visible in the media where she lives is evidence that Serena is more famous.

It's stupid that everyone's turning this into, "Who's the bigger tennis star". Of course, Serena's the bigger tennis star - everyone knows that. I don't know what's in Selesrules' head, but I'm guessing that this thread is in response to the constant bitching about all the attention Anna gets. Duh, she's a big star, it's irrelevant why - it's just a fact of life that she's going to get so much attention.

King Lindsay
Mar 26th, 2003, 08:34 AM
I'll tell you what's in Selesrules' head.

1. why won't Monica answer the 4352946 cards, letters, voicemails, faxes, emails, and booty calls that i send to her every day?

2. was it weird to carve MONICA SELES 4 LIFE into my chest?

3. When will SerenaSlam realize that it's meant to be?

juggler
Mar 26th, 2003, 08:36 AM
hard to tell if selesrules is genuine here, or simply just shit stirring again.

i would put my house on the latter.

tennnisfannn
Mar 26th, 2003, 09:06 AM
A topic on who is more famous? How ridiculous! People get famous for just about anything and they range from Bin Laden to Mother Teresa. How famous you are does not mean you are a better person, just more recognizable.

Crazy Canuck
Mar 26th, 2003, 09:14 AM
Alright! I've done it, I have discovered what Selesrules motivation for these threads was!

Turns out that our buddy Selesrules is in direct comeptition with Topshotta and Shane54 to see who can come across as the best informed, most charming poster. Aftering seeing the handy work that the other two had put forth in the Non Tennis forum, Selesrules was NOT to be denied!

Beat
Mar 26th, 2003, 10:31 AM
She will always be #1 in tennis in terms of marketing

and that's something to be proud of :confused:

Turns out that our buddy Selesrules is in direct comeptition with Topshotta and Shane54 to see who can come across as the best informed, most charming poster.

hihi :D