PDA

View Full Version : I don't understand Meghan...

spokenword73
Mar 25th, 2003, 05:44 PM
when asked about beating Venus, she said something like "this is what I play tennis for". I agree with the poster who says these players should concentrate LESS on beating the sisters and more on WINNING the tourney!! Congrats to Meghan,but I think Capriati will have an easy time on Wednesday, because J-Cap actually wants to win the whole darn thing!! :)

tfannis
Mar 25th, 2003, 05:48 PM
These were her exact words:

Q. Can you just talk about how it feels to do what you just did?

MEGHANN SHAUGHNESSY: It feels great. These are the moments that I play tennis for, is to get on the center court, featured match against a player like Venus, that I really respect.

So I live for these times and that's what all my training goes into. So I'm feeling really, really happy right now.

So it wasn't just about beating Venus...it was about playing on big courts beating top players :)

Tratree
Mar 25th, 2003, 05:49 PM
Maybe, just maybe Meghann was referring to upsetting the #2 player in the world....not "beating the sisters." ;) She doesn't strike me as one to rest on her laurels.

John Inverdale
Mar 25th, 2003, 05:59 PM
Again with the over-analysis of players interviews by Williams' fans.

Sure you can't be that insecure.... or big headed

luv-ya
Mar 25th, 2003, 06:01 PM
when asked about beating Venus, she said something like "this is what I play tennis for". I agree with the poster who says these players should concentrate LESS on beating the sisters and more on WINNING the tourney!! Congrats to Meghan,but I think Capriati will have an easy time on Wednesday, because J-Cap actually wants to win the whole darn thing!! :)
i believe what she meant was, beating top player
in this prestigious tournament in front of
so many home crowds as the underdog,
that must have felt great.....

Keith
Mar 25th, 2003, 06:02 PM
What Meg did is called an accomplishment. Beating the second best player in the world, someone who has only lost a handful of times in the past year, is a real true accomplishment. And yes, you want to accomplish certain things. Beating a top player in the 5th biggest tournament of the year is worth all of the hard work that she has put in.

Great post John Inverdale.

BB
Mar 25th, 2003, 06:09 PM
beating one of the Williams is always a big deal - specially for Meghann. She fighted and worked years for such moments (specially last year), but she wasn't often the lucky one. Lets hope the luck is back on her side again.

I'm sure she will win one of the big tourneys one day - this was hopefully a step closer. I think today she just should enjoy this feel and then going step by step....I hope she can continue like that against JenCap. I doubt she will have it easy against Meghann.

I hope Meghann gives her a hard time! :devil:

hinquit
Mar 25th, 2003, 06:13 PM
This girl is not ashamed herself. Beating Venus for the second time
in their many meetings is something she proud of or trained for. Why not
she ask herself the question? What I am doing right at my age,
the same age as Venus. She should not think she is improving at all
becuase Jen. will not give her that chance tomorrow. She is big loser
and she will be in many tournaments to come.
Venus doesn't care about this girl cause she not a rival.

RAA
Mar 25th, 2003, 06:51 PM
sheesh, talk about raining on someone's parade!

Meghann just had one of the biggest wins of her career, if not her biggest. maybe you could cut her some slack about some fairly ambigous comment she made in her press conference?...
:confused:

WtaTour4Ever
Mar 25th, 2003, 07:34 PM
Why shouldn't she feel good. From what I hear she played a great match against one of the top players in the world. I'm happy for her :-)

Cybelle Darkholme
Mar 25th, 2003, 08:03 PM
what she said seemed like a compliment toward venus to me. If venus wasn't such a great player then it would mean little that meg beat her.

BK4ever
Mar 25th, 2003, 08:19 PM
Well lets have some mercy, he clearly misunderstood her quote.

Meg will have a hard time with Jen, because unlike Venus, Jen can handle the loopy shots. They were the main reason why Vee lost the match (second serve as well) last night, she got impatient and tried to hit winners over the high loopy balls.

Jen has always crushed Meg, but hopefully Meg will be inspired from beating Vee and will come in with a good gameplan and stick to it like she did last night.

jenny161185
Mar 25th, 2003, 09:17 PM
she didn t exactly mean - this is what i play tennis for - to beat the wlliams, she meant to get big wins over players who have almost been unbeatable in the past year

~ The Leopard ~
Mar 25th, 2003, 10:54 PM
She didn't even say anything about winning. She said she loves playing big occasion matches against great players.

Good for her. That's a terrific attitude to have. What's so difficult to understand about it?

Big Fat Pink Elephant
Mar 25th, 2003, 11:01 PM
congrats to meghan for her win :) :bounce:

did you guys hear about her hypnoses therapy? :D

1jackson2001
Mar 25th, 2003, 11:18 PM
I certainly understand Meghann...she's enjoying her win over a great player..and rightfully so! :D