PDA

View Full Version : How should Germany treat this April 30?

DownTheTee
Mar 25th, 2003, 12:20 PM
Not that Monica will (or should) be expected to play Berlin regardless, but what do you think would be an appropriate way (if any) to apologize to Monica on the "10th anniversary"? And would she even go there to accept an apology of whatever sort? Keep in mind that the elected gov't is from "the other side", and even the one in power then didn't "try the case" itself. And there's the "why didn't she testify" thing, etc. Should they issue some sort of formal apology on behalf of (who?), what should it say, what role should Steffi play (if any), how should Monica react, etc., etc. :confused:

pan
Mar 25th, 2003, 02:18 PM
you really think germany should react 'cause ten years ago a psychopath stabbed MONICA in this country???!!

AjdeNate!
Mar 25th, 2003, 02:23 PM
I think Monica would rather this day just go away than to have some big cause-celebre.

irma
Mar 25th, 2003, 03:16 PM
two idiot people (the idiot and the judge, there is no jury system in germany as far as I know) and whole germany is responsable and should apologize? my goodness :rolleyes:
and last I heard remembering ceremonies are for death people anyway and lucky monica is still alive and well (except her feet)

and like seles said it's doubtfull monica wants to think about 30 april in any year anyway!

Helen Lawson
Mar 25th, 2003, 03:21 PM
Nothing changed about the tournament that was being held ten years ago after she was stabbed, and no one said they were sorry then. Why would they do anything now? I do not think the day should pass without notice but maybe that would be the best thing.

DownTheTee
Mar 25th, 2003, 03:28 PM
you really think germany should react 'cause ten years ago a psychopath stabbed MONICA in this country???!! Actually, pan, I don't know. (Fortunately), this is a unique circumstance. And I most certainly did NOT mean this as being directed at Germany as a country! What I was mainly wondering, which Seles addressed below your post (though others might differ?) is would it give Monica some sense of "closure". Also, she said in the recent Tennis Magazine interview that she feels security is still lax at tournaments. So perhaps some official action by 4/30/93's "host country" might get the tours, the national tennis federations, or the event operators (and sponsors) to spend a little more money on security. I really had no set answers when starting this thread, just an "open mind" on the whole thing. (And still do).

irma
Mar 25th, 2003, 03:32 PM
I think you can never guarantee 100% security
these days you can even put a bullet in a pen and kill somebody with it

Bероника
Mar 25th, 2003, 03:34 PM
Oh please let's not remember that black day.It happened long ago.Move on.The best way to treat it is ignore it,I think.

Monica_Rules
Mar 25th, 2003, 03:55 PM
I think Monica would like to just forget about it.

Maybe Hamburg dissapearing off the calander is closure for her?

DownTheTee
Mar 25th, 2003, 03:58 PM
I can understand the impulse to treat the event as something "best forgotten". While I'm not a press agent or a journalist, I presume that Monica could have declined the "cover interview" mentioned above, knowing that the subject would be prominent as the anniversary approaches. As she didn't decline the interview request, or discussing the subject in general (as on the cnnsi website), I presume she CHOSE not to avoid it. Whether WE would rather remember the attack seems secondary compared to Monica's choice. Perhaps a "national apology" is NOT the best course, but one by the WTA (esp. as Monica had to fight to get her ranking back as I recall), the event organizer, or the sponsor. Again I don't know the answer. But the members of WTA World have certainly NOT avoided discussing and debating the war in Non-Tennis, unpleasant as the subject is. And as sure as Serena will still be #1 on April 30th, this and every other tennis site, ESPN Sportscenter, etc. will give the anniversary extensive coverage. I doubt we COULD avoid it then.

disposablehero
Mar 25th, 2003, 04:02 PM
Should is irrelevant, because it doesn't match what they will do. It will be ignored.

AjdeNate!
Mar 25th, 2003, 04:05 PM
http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?threadid=62187

Crazy Canuck
Mar 25th, 2003, 04:21 PM
I'll take this as my early reminder of why not to come on to WTAWorld on my birthday ;)

GoDominique
Mar 25th, 2003, 04:29 PM
:rolleyes:

If the tournament still took place, a little gesture or comment there would have been appropiate. But as that is not the case ...

I'm absolutely sure that there will be articles in the newspapers here though.

brickhousesupporter
Mar 25th, 2003, 04:31 PM
I'll take this as my early reminder of why not to come on to WTAWorld on my birthday

God you are a taurus too, say it isn't so. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Why was I from my mothers womb untimely ripped. lol

Crazy Canuck
Mar 25th, 2003, 05:06 PM
God you are a taurus too, say it isn't so. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Why was I from my mothers womb untimely ripped. lol
But doesn't me being a Taurus explain everything? ;)

irma
Mar 25th, 2003, 05:07 PM
it's queensday here on 30 april;)

pan
Mar 25th, 2003, 06:34 PM
it's queensday here on 30 april;)

go, TRIXI! :D

Volcana
Mar 25th, 2003, 07:17 PM
Absolutely not. Why celebrate a criminal act?

GoDominique
Mar 25th, 2003, 07:49 PM
Should is irrelevant, because it doesn't match what they will do. It will be ignored.
Who is 'they' ?

*JR*
Mar 25th, 2003, 09:20 PM
Absolutely not. Why celebrate a criminal act?
Whatever people said in this thread, none of them seemed 2B advocating "celebrating" what Parche did. :confused: (I'm sort of surprised nobody tracked him down and "held their own trial", though).