PDA

View Full Version : Why nobody consider Justine as a serious threat???

rhz
Mar 25th, 2003, 07:07 AM
Serena this Venus that Kim this Jennifer that Lindsay this Monica that... but nobody mentions Justine.... she deserves to be mentioned more people.

Gowza
Mar 25th, 2003, 07:14 AM
personally i don't think henin is one of the top talents or has the most potential. she is a really good fighter and if you add that to her on game and the surfaces she is good at then she is a great player. imo she has fulfilled her ful potential whereas i personally believe that the other players in the top 10 have more than potential than justine but justine is one of the few players who has gone has far as she can go. i'm not saying she can't win grand slams or anything but the reason that i myself don't see her as a threat is partly because i don't like watching her (and can't figure our why with that beautiful backhand) and i see her as already being the best that she can be whereas with her opponent (the other top players) i see then as having room to improve so they can always step it up a notch however that isn't always the case.

but when it comes down to it i'm caomparing their potential and talent which doesn't always show how good they currently are. i should probably change the way i look at things.

but at the moment i see her as a threat because the other players simply haven't fulfilled their potential and justine has which has actually ended up with justine being the better player.

sorry if you don't understand this, i'm finding it hard to put it into words.

per4ever
Mar 25th, 2003, 07:40 AM
personally i don't think henin is one of the top talents or has the most potential. she is a really good fighter and if you add that to her on game and the surfaces she is good at then she is a great player. imo she has fulfilled her ful potential whereas i personally believe that the other players in the top 10 have more than potential than justine but justine is one of the few players who has gone has far as she can go. i'm not saying she can't win grand slams or anything but the reason that i myself don't see her as a threat is partly because i don't like watching her (and can't figure our why with that beautiful backhand) and i see her as already being the best that she can be whereas with her opponent (the other top players) i see then as having room to improve so they can always step it up a notch however that isn't always the case.

but when it comes down to it i'm caomparing their potential and talent which doesn't always show how good they currently are. i should probably change the way i look at things.

but at the moment i see her as a threat because the other players simply haven't fulfilled their potential and justine has which has actually ended up with justine being the better player.

sorry if you don't understand this, i'm finding it hard to put it into words.
:eek:... if Justine isn't one of the toptalents, then I really wonder who is...

I'm sorry Gowza, but you got it all wrong. Justine is one of the most talented players of the whole WTA tour. She can still improve a lot, and she will.

People always underestimate Justine..it can only be good for Juju. I remember in the polls last year of 'who will drop out of top 10 at the end of the year': lots of people said Henin. Now look where she's standing.

rhz
Mar 25th, 2003, 07:43 AM
:eek:... if Justine isn't one of the toptalents, then I really wonder who is...

I'm sorry Gowza, but you got it all wrong. Justine is one of the most talented players of the whole WTA tour. She can still improve a lot, and she will.

People always underestimate Justine..it can only be good for Juju. I remember in the polls last year of 'who will drop out of top 10 at the end of the year': lots of people said Henin. Now look where she's standing.

Standing and getting stronger! she does have rooms to improve, specially in the mental department. her game is also has a high risk of UE. Her serve in particular! but i bet one day she will win atleast one grand slam title. you go girl!! Allez Justine

Gowza
Mar 25th, 2003, 07:47 AM
per4ever, numerous times i said PERSONALLY. we each see different things in different players. i wasn't trying to persuade anyone of anything. you can think want you want and i wouldn't criticise your opinion so i would appreciate it if you didn't criticise my thoughts. and when i said i didn't think she was a top talent i was talking about compared to the rest of the top top soley. she is definately one fo the top 10 talents at the moment (excluding the youngsters because we have no clue what they are capable of at the moment).

but you've got your opinion and i've got mine. we don't need to agree on everything and let's just leave it at that.

i respect your opinion.

Gowza
Mar 25th, 2003, 07:49 AM
but i would like to point out that just because a player does a lot of UE's or whatever it is they do, it doesn't mean they are capable of fixing that problem.

Gowza
Mar 25th, 2003, 07:51 AM
this thread is about seeing justine as a threat (i'm guessing it means a threat to grand slam titles and the #1 ranking and the other top players). and i did say i see her as a threat so lets not get caught up to much in the other stuff. please lets just voice our opinions and not criticise other peoples. (btw, sorry for blabbing on)

Dava
Mar 25th, 2003, 07:55 AM
To be honest I dont see Henin as a threat, basically becuase the last few times she has played a Williams or Clijsters she has not played very well. She is not even getting close.

rikvanlooy
Mar 25th, 2003, 08:37 AM
Standing and getting stronger! she does have rooms to improve, specially in the mental department. her game is also has a high risk of UE. Her serve in particular! but i bet one day she will win atleast one grand slam title. you go girl!! Allez Justine

"she does have rooms to improve, specially in the mental department"

Against Kim, yes. (Serena and Venus are just too good for Justine. It has nothing to do with mental fragility).

But the other players ?

Look at her wins this year against Davenport, Capriati and Seles.

Those are not the wins of a mental fragile player. On the contrary.

In this tournament she has a good chance of reaching the final.

She has the game to win RG. But the other slams ?

caseyl45
Mar 25th, 2003, 08:49 AM
imo she has fulfilled her ful potential whereas i personally believe that the other players in the top 10 have more than potential than justine but justine is one of the few players who has gone has far as she can go.

You honestly believe that it's possible that a 20-year-old has gone as far as she can go? That's crazy, and it doesn't matter which player you're talking about when you say that.

Sorry guys, but love her or hate her, Henin-Hardenne hasn't gotten to number four in the world by accident. She works hard, she plays consistently, and so far this year, she has been beating some of the elite players on tour.
A lot of people talk about Capriati, Davenport, Seles, Mauresmo, etc., but if you look at their records against Venus, Serena, and Clijsters over the course of the past twelve months, you'll find that they're worse off than Henin-Hardenne is. Capriati is 1-2 against Henin-Hardenne, Davenport is 1-1, Seles is 0-2, and Mauresmo is 0-0. Capriati has no wins against the top three, Davenport has one, Seles has none, and Mauresmo has one. Henin-Hardenne has two. As for the other top ten players, Hantuchova is 1-1, Rubin is 0-1, and Dokic is 1-1 against Henin-Hardenne, and only one of them (Rubin) has a win over anyone in the top three. Myskina is 1-1 against Henin-Hardenne and also has just one win over the top three. That means that over the course of the past twelve months the players currently ranked 5-12 (That's 8 players.) are a combined 5-9 against Henin-Hardenne and have a combined five wins against the top three compared to her two. None of them have a winning record against the top four over the course of the past year.
What does that say to me? It says that regardless of what people think, Henin-Hardenne is the fourth best player in the world right now, and she will remain so unless her level of play drops off. She may not get much attention, but she deserves to be where she is, and there's no doubt in my mind about that.

bis2806
Mar 25th, 2003, 09:00 AM
henin is weak and she loves to fake injuries

Gowza
Mar 25th, 2003, 09:00 AM
caseyl45, saying she has gone as far as she can go was refering to her game. some players play there best tennis as youngsters. hingis is a big example of this. her results will get better but that is because she is already that good to get the better results.

ns_Henin
Mar 25th, 2003, 09:11 AM
Serena this Venus that Kim this Jennifer that Lindsay this Monica that... but nobody mentions Justine.... she deserves to be mentioned more people.

U must be happy with this condition because when I see Justine as an underdog, then she win that match, i'll be very very very happy.. Maybe u can feel the sweet victories with me :)

ns_Henin
Mar 25th, 2003, 09:15 AM

Shut ur moron mouth up :kiss:
Lindsay faked an injury when she played Justine at Zurich 2002 ;)
U r only jealous with her good results :wavey:
Bye :p

The Crow
Mar 25th, 2003, 09:15 AM
Gowza, I too think you have it all wrong too. If I see one player of the top 5 (top 10) who has still room to improve, I think it's Justine. Especially her tactics can improve much. Plus she should believe more in her technical skills.

The Crow
Mar 25th, 2003, 09:17 AM
Shut ur moron mouth up :kiss:
Lindsay faked an injury when she played Justine at Zurich 2002 ;)
U r only jealous with her good results :wavey:
Bye :p

Bis is a broken record . I'd say live and let live :kiss:

Gowza
Mar 25th, 2003, 09:26 AM
why are you people targetting me? i'm not telling you what to think. i am entitled to my opinion. i don't see any need for anyone to criticise another posters opinion or tell them they are wrong or do anything of that sort. an opinion is an opinion and it doesn't predict the future so chill out. some people have to learn not to take things so personal.

ns_Henin
Mar 25th, 2003, 09:33 AM
why are you people targetting me? i'm not telling you what to think. i am entitled to my opinion. i don't see any need for anyone to criticise another posters opinion or tell them they are wrong or do anything of that sort. an opinion is an opinion and it doesn't predict the future so chill out. some people have to learn not to take things so personal.

Ur comment is okay. Every ppl have their own opinion so it's nice to heard ur comment about Justine. Maybe we can be good friend :) My name is Willy :wavey:

Gowza
Mar 25th, 2003, 09:40 AM
hi i'm Alex:)

BasicTennis
Mar 25th, 2003, 09:44 AM
you guys can be a great combination:

Alex Willyams.;)

gladysharon
Mar 25th, 2003, 10:10 AM
Well, I consider Justine as an upcoming serious threat...now that her new approach in playing tennis is taking it's course, Justine might soon shine from the shadows in her own way. I know it's a little upsetting when people just mention or think about other more popular or great players other than Justine...well, things might change or improve if Justine continues to build up her potential. She is one of the most disciplined & skillful players & deserves my respect. Because she is disciplined, she will work hard to improve further no doubt, to unleash her inner & of course mental strengths!
She's performing well now & hope she carries on like that for her own good.

It's not the end, it's only just the beginning on Justine's way of tennis play! :)

BasicTennis
Mar 25th, 2003, 10:11 AM
even with your avatar gladysharon, Justine still doesn't look threatening at all.;)

gladysharon
Mar 25th, 2003, 10:19 AM
I know she doesn't look threatening, lol...that just for a commercial shoot...well, maybe she's really not, she's just playing her own tennis...to pursue her dream.

I'm okay with that, even if she's not always mentioned well, she's just my favourite. She's just doing her best. ;)

irma
Mar 25th, 2003, 10:24 AM
well I think she has the will to be the best
that's a good thing for her:)

DownTheTee
Mar 25th, 2003, 10:35 AM
Justine is very decisive in "the real world". She kicked her abusive father out of her life, something some other players probably should have done. She "picked up" her future husband. The will is there, I guess whether the "wile" matches it, like if she'd adjusted to Venus coming back by turning into a "backboard" (Amelia Island '02) we'll find out in the next year or two.

bis2806
Mar 25th, 2003, 10:54 AM
Henin should apologise to Lindsay for wrongly accusing her of faking injury at zurich!!!! i hope henin breaks up with hardenne soon... opps divorce i mean!!!!

sartrista7
Mar 25th, 2003, 11:07 AM
per4ever, numerous times i said PERSONALLY. we each see different things in different players. i wasn't trying to persuade anyone of anything. you can think want you want and i wouldn't criticise your opinion so i would appreciate it if you didn't criticise my thoughts.

Obviously the concept of a debate has completely passed you by. We may see different things in different players, but some of us see things which are just not there. If someone saw a great serve in Elena Dementieva, they'd just be plain wrong.

The thing with Justine is that, unlike most other top players, her game is more suited to certain surfaces than others. She clearly excels on clay - I'd put her above Kim, and on a par with Venus and Serena on clay - and does very well on grass, indoors and Rebound Ace (a level below the Williams sisters, definitely, but not significantly worse than anyone else). US hardcourts are definitely her weak point, though her Miami progress is encouraging... let's see how she handles Chanda.

Furthermore... Justine is nowhere near her full potential. She can play so many shots, and her overall game is so complex, that it's going to be at least another year before she puts it all together for real.

She will win Roland Garros within the next three years. For sure ;)

The Crow
Mar 25th, 2003, 11:23 AM

I was not targetting you. I was just giving you my opinion, which is that I think you're wrong ;) Indeed, some people have to learn not to take things so personal :p

fleemke³
Mar 25th, 2003, 02:23 PM
Justine's weak point is hard court .. well she played 3 semi finals (losing to top 3 players) and won 1tournament by beating Seles, Myskina and Capriati. If you see this you can't say that it's weak :D If she gets those results on her less best surface what can wa aspect from her on gravel and grass :D :bounce:

But guys just forget her ... the suprise will be there if she gets higher on the rankings and wins GS :cool:

Go Justine

Filip!
Mar 25th, 2003, 04:47 PM

And you are a stupid and very frustrated guy!

Filip!
Mar 25th, 2003, 04:50 PM
Henin should apologise to Lindsay for wrongly accusing her of faking injury at zurich!!!! i hope henin breaks up with hardenne soon... opps divorce i mean!!!!

I think you are the only terrible fan who is still talking about this!

Justine and Lindsay don't talk about it anymore and they forgot it, but you, bis2806, you are too stupid too know this...

Gowza
Mar 25th, 2003, 06:35 PM
sartrista7, then i caould say what you see in justine is just plain wrong.

, i didn't personalise it to you. there are a number of people doing the same thing. you don't have to say someone is wrong to get your opinion across.

Dizzy Miss Lizzy
Mar 25th, 2003, 07:01 PM

:rolleyes:

You're pathetic

baleineau
Mar 25th, 2003, 07:09 PM
think about what was happening between 1988-1996 (or this period approx):

1. THE CHAMPS Graf/Seles at the very top, taking 95% of the big titles
2. THE TERRIERS (SNAPPING AT THE HEELS OF THE CHAMPS) ASV: always a threat at the big ones, picking off the field elsewhere
3. THE BRIDESMAIDS (VITAL TO THE SHOW, BUT NOT THE STARS) Sabatini, Novotna, Pierce, Martinez - very good players but not beating the rest of the field when it REALLY matters
4. THE HOPEFUL (JUST WAITING FOR A BIG BREAKTHROUGH) Maleeva-Fragniere, MJF, Mag. Maleeva, Testud, Rubin, Tauziat)

Now think of the current/recent situation 2000-2003:

I'd put Serena and Venus in category one, no question. I'd put Capriati, Davenport and Hingis in category 2. Yes, Hingis was dominant for about 14 months, but after Summer 1998, she was looking past her best.

Now, where should the new breed of post-2000 girls be put? I'm speaking of Henin, Mauresmo, Clijsters, Hantuchova and Dokic? I think none of these have "yet" done anything to become a BRIDESMAID. They're all clearly in the HOPEFUL category. Who is most likely to rise? Well, if Kim had not had that relatively bad run between May and September last year she'd already be ranked number two, as she'd be playing more tournaments than Venus and still doing well in them. Which Kim is the real Kim? Last May-Sept, or Oct-Present? If she maintains this form and develops it, she'll end up as a TERRIER at best, and as a BRIDESMAID at worst.

Justine has yet to do anything to suggest she'll ever become a TERRIER. She's got the makings of a BRIDESMAID. BRIDESMAIDS are often exceptionally talented, but lack firepower and weapons, and often don't use their weapons well in crisis situations because of confidence/mental issues. They have an inferiority complex.

Hantuchova is a mixed case. we haven't seen enough of her (no pun intended) to make a guess as to her trajectory. She's posted a couple of great results, but there's a lot of mediocrity there too. Dokic is a similar case.

Mauresmo is the one that really puzzles me. When she's fit and "on" she looks like she could be TERRIER status. She causes the big upsets. But she also has 3-6 months of injury and poor form. She's too patchy to be a real TERRIER. I think she'll be around for another 5-10 years though, and will eventually do enough to join Sabatini/Martinez/Novotna in the Bridesmaid category. A good clay season 03 would make me feel better about her chances.

As for Justine, I think she's always "struggling" to maintain her ranking, rather than threatening to go higher. And that's what ultimately makes the difference.

Fingon
Mar 25th, 2003, 10:36 PM
Justine has yet to do anything to suggest she'll ever become a TERRIER. She's got the makings of a BRIDESMAID. BRIDESMAIDS are often exceptionally talented, but lack firepower and weapons, and often don't use their weapons well in crisis situations because of confidence/mental issues. They have an inferiority complex.

well, she's been an GS final, 3 GS semifinals, won a tier 1 and 2 tier 2, except for Kim and the players that have been around for a while like Davenport, Monica or Capriati, nobody has accomplished that.

Hantuchova is a mixed case. we haven't seen enough of her (no pun intended) to make a guess as to her trajectory. She's posted a couple of great results, but there's a lot of mediocrity there too. Dokic is a similar case.

If there are two players that have demonstrated nothing they are Hantuchova and Dokic. They both have some good wins, but they didn't follow up those wins. Daniela has been going backward, so has Dokic, I fail to see how they are in a better situation than Justine (if I didn't understand it wrong, they are a mixed case, half way while Justine is fully out of the picture).

Mauresmo is the one that really puzzles me. When she's fit and "on" she looks like she could be TERRIER status. She causes the big upsets. But she also has 3-6 months of injury and poor form. She's too patchy to be a real TERRIER. I think she'll be around for another 5-10 years though, and will eventually do enough to join Sabatini/Martinez/Novotna in the Bridesmaid category. A good clay season 03 would make me feel better about her chances.

what big upsets?

As for Justine, I think she's always "struggling" to maintain her ranking, rather than threatening to go higher. And that's what ultimately makes the difference.
she is always struggling, but she has been going higuer, this applies to any player who hasn't been # 1, they struggle to keep their rankings until they get higuer, the higuer the guess, the more difficult is to get higuer.

Fingon
Mar 25th, 2003, 10:46 PM

I can only assume that for you, weapons mean hitting the ball hard. Justine's backhand is recognized as a major weapon, the volleys, the variety, she serves faster than most players despite being so small. And you contradict yourself, first you say she has no weapons and then that she doesn't use them because of confidence/mental issues, if she doesn't have them, how can she use them?

kell
Mar 25th, 2003, 10:51 PM
Because she isn't one of the "power players" Justine's ignored. Maybe she should do something publicity hungry like pose in a bikini if she wants attention. Seriously though, too much attention is a bad thing.

sailntiger
Mar 25th, 2003, 10:53 PM
:devil: :hearts: :kiss: :angel: YOU OBVIOUSLY HAVEN'T WATCHED JUSTINE PLAY ENOUGH. SHE IS ONE OF THE BEST PLAYERS PLAYING TENNIS TODAY. :angel: :kiss: :hearts: :devil:

:wavey: :wavey: :wavey: GO JUSTINE!!!!!! :wavey: :wavey: :wavey:

baleineau
Mar 25th, 2003, 11:06 PM
well, she's been an GS final, 3 GS semifinals, won a tier 1 and 2 tier 2, except for Kim and the players that have been around for a while like Davenport, Monica or Capriati, nobody has accomplished that.

calm down. i think i made it clear that Justine has shown more potential than Hantuchova and Dokic, but I don't think she's accelerating at the same pace as Clijsters. Clijsters looks set to become somebody who might get 2-3 slams in her career. I think Justine is shaping up to get one or two.

If there are two players that have demonstrated nothing they are Hantuchova and Dokic. They both have some good wins, but they didn't follow up those wins. Daniela has been going backward, so has Dokic, I fail to see how they are in a better situation than Justine (if I didn't understand it wrong, they are a mixed case, half way while Justine is fully out of the picture).

no, you misunderstood, but that's my fault. my previous post was way too long and i was tired. what i'm saying about Dokic and Hantuchova is that they haven't yet made the grade from being maleeva-fragniere's of the future. when i say it is 'mixed' I mean that it's a bit too early to forecast for Hantuchova, and difficult in the case of Dokic because she's only just growing into her game and sorting her personal life out. Justine has achieved a lot more than either of them.

what big upsets?

I think I was referring to Mauresmo at this point. She has scored a lot of upsets in her career so far (hingis, davenport, seles) and seems to rise to the occasion. but as I say, she's unpredictable, and often injured/recovering.

she is always struggling, but she has been going higuer, this applies to any player who hasn't been # 1, they struggle to keep their rankings until they get higuer, the higuer the guess, the more difficult is to get higuer.

true of course. i just feel that justine will not have an "easy time" staying top-5, because (a) she won't regularly bag slams and (b) she is only top-3 or top-4 on clay and grass. i think Kim is more certain as she is better on hardcourts than Justine, better indoors, and no slouch on clay and grass.

I know justine is talented. Some of my favourites (martinez, sabatini and novotna) are among the most talented players of their generation in terms of stroke-making. But I think henin and mauresmo will have similar careers to these three. threatening the top two or three when in their prime, but looking safer bets for 4-6 with lots of slam semis to their name.

i think justine is a serious threat to those around her, but not a consistent danger to 1+2, especially when playing on hard and indoor surfaces.

baleineau
Mar 25th, 2003, 11:13 PM
I can only assume that for you, weapons mean hitting the ball hard. Justine's backhand is recognized as a major weapon, the volleys, the variety, she serves faster than most players despite being so small. And you contradict yourself, first you say she has no weapons and then that she doesn't use them because of confidence/mental issues, if she doesn't have them, how can she use them?

absolutely not. i value weapons such as spin and placement (geez, conchita is my favourite player) mixed in with strong stokes too. but it's hard to play out the point and use this kind of arsenal against sheer force.

and i do know about Justine's backhand. i saw it destroy conchita 6-1 6-0 at wimbledon in 2001 :o

i think there are some weaknesses in justine's mental side. she does appear to get nervous. power players can overcome the nerves by hitting out, in the way that pierce does. players that use touch as weapons tend to find nerves get in the way of that. in the intensity and pressure of GS finals, finesse games are more fragile than power games. if the finesse player can hold it, it's beautiful. if they're too nervy, it can all look rather awful.

i'm not attacking justine's game. i'm just saying, in response to the question, whi i think Justine gets overlooked or is not seen as a threat. i think she is a threat, but she's a threat with limitations.

caseyl45
Mar 26th, 2003, 01:08 AM
i think justine is a serious threat to those around her, but not a consistent danger to 1+2, especially when playing on hard and indoor surfaces.
Who is a consistent danger to the top two (or three) players right now? Nobody is, really.

i think there are some weaknesses in justine's mental side. she does appear to get nervous.
That's very true, but lately, she seems to be handling better than she has in the past. She was able to turn around the Davenport match at the Australian Open, and she had those big wins over Seles and Capriati in Dubai this year. Henin-Hardenne hasn't had a bad loss to a lower-ranked player for several months now. The last non-top six player she lost to was Myriam Casanova in Filderstadt last fall.
I've always felt that Henin-Hardenne is mentally tougher than people give her credit for. She's lost a lot of tight matches, but she's also had her share spectacular wins as well. And at Wimbledon last year, she seemed to have a lot of long matches that she was able to pull out, an especially impressive feat considering she was defending her first Grand Slam final.
I think that Henin-Hardenne's problem has been more of a self-belief issue than nervousness. As she's started trusting herself more, those bad losses have started coming less and less often. Hopefully that will continue.

shap_half
Mar 26th, 2003, 03:05 AM
I personally believe that Henin-Hardenne is a threat to winning Roland Garros and Wimbledon with the type of game she has. And with the way she has been playing in Miami and Australia, I have a feeling that her hardcourt game will continue to improve. And along with winning Grand Slam titles over Cljisters and the Williams sisters comes the improvement to higher rankings. Henin-Hardenne has had a magnificent start to the year with no worse than a semifinal showing in all the events she has entered so far and winning a Tier 2 event over Capriati and Seles at Dubai. The way she has been playing shows that she is improving, last year at Miami she lost in the second round after a first round bye, and clearly reaching the Quarters a year later shows that she is improving. I don't think she has reached her potential and will hopefully improve in time for the US Open and do well.

Her backhand is probably the best in the sport right now and I think she just needs to handle it better. I agree with whomever said that finese players like Justine will have a more difficult time to adjust to pressure than power hitters because there is more to manifest the pressure to, which is hitting as hard as they can. With Justine, her elegant style in playing is vulnerable to becoming a problem if she becomes tight. I think that controlling her emotions is something she's going to need to improve on. The mental aspect of the game is very important. I think that since she has been losing to the top three players lately is causing her to lose concentration during her matches with them. She's beaten Capriati, Davenport, and Seles who are all very powerful and strong like Cljisters and the Williams, but she can't seem to get over the hump, which are the top three players. If, hopefully, when she reach the semis at Miami she can become more confident in defeating Capriati and Kim/Serena. I vehemently believe that Justine has the game right now to maintain top 4 position, when she improves her mentality during the matches and control her shots more she is a threat to becoming GS champs and #1.

fleemke³
Mar 26th, 2003, 01:03 PM
I personally believe that Henin-Hardenne is a threat to winning Roland Garros and Wimbledon with the type of game she has. And with the way she has been playing in Miami and Australia, I have a feeling that her hardcourt game will continue to improve. And along with winning Grand Slam titles over Cljisters and the Williams sisters comes the improvement to higher rankings. Henin-Hardenne has had a magnificent start to the year with no worse than a semifinal showing in all the events she has entered so far and winning a Tier 2 event over Capriati and Seles at Dubai. The way she has been playing shows that she is improving, last year at Miami she lost in the second round after a first round bye, and clearly reaching the Quarters a year later shows that she is improving. I don't think she has reached her potential and will hopefully improve in time for the US Open and do well.

Her backhand is probably the best in the sport right now and I think she just needs to handle it better. I agree with whomever said that finese players like Justine will have a more difficult time to adjust to pressure than power hitters because there is more to manifest the pressure to, which is hitting as hard as they can. With Justine, her elegant style in playing is vulnerable to becoming a problem if she becomes tight. I think that controlling her emotions is something she's going to need to improve on. The mental aspect of the game is very important. I think that since she has been losing to the top three players lately is causing her to lose concentration during her matches with them. She's beaten Capriati, Davenport, and Seles who are all very powerful and strong like Cljisters and the Williams, but she can't seem to get over the hump, which are the top three players. If, hopefully, when she reach the semis at Miami she can become more confident in defeating Capriati and Kim/Serena. I vehemently believe that Justine has the game right now to maintain top 4 position, when she improves her mentality during the matches and control her shots more she is a threat to becoming GS champs and #1.

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

rhz
Mar 27th, 2003, 08:53 AM
any other thoughts??

Mercury Rising
Mar 27th, 2003, 09:20 AM
i think there are some weaknesses in justine's mental side. she does appear to get nervous.
Yes, and again she said after the match against Rubin she got nervous. Damn, this is an important piece of the game and not easy to get over :(

fleemke³
Mar 27th, 2003, 01:44 PM
any other thoughts??

nope :) Everybody has an offday sometimes and yesterday Chanda played a great match :)