PDA

View Full Version : Im Giving Megan her props...

SerenaSlam
Mar 25th, 2003, 04:48 AM
...like I always have, give credit where credit is due, i just woke up, and thought, what the hell, im not going to wait till tomorrow, im going to throw it out there right now. Im not that type of person anyway. Megan beat venus today. Venus was off her game, but I see and know how you all are when throwing in something like "venus was off" makes you feel. Im going to put That aside and say she beat my queen fare and square. This isn't hard to say, seeing I've said it before. But this is rare, very rare. I didn't expect Venus to loose, but yet I didn't expect her to win easy. Couple of good quotes from Venus and Megan.

Q. How well do you think you played?

VENUS WILLIAMS: So and so. I think that if I played really well, then there was a really good chance that I would have won the match for sure. But more than anything, I think, you know, she played some real good tennis.

-she was(Venus) off (forehand), but all in all megan was the better player

Q. You saved eight matchpoints. Were you thinking, "I can definitely do this" by that point, at that point?

VENUS WILLIAMS: Well, I always felt that I could do it until I ran out of time. Then, of course, this is the end, so all I can do is just prepare for the clay court season now.

-she(Venus) was off(forehand), but all in megan was the better player and time ran out.

Q. How different is she than when you've played her in the past? She's obviously bulked up. Is that noticeable in her game?

VENUS WILLIAMS: I think she's the same.

-she (Venus) was off(forehand), but all in all, megan (the same from when she(Venus) beat her before) was the better player.

Q. Do you think you underestimated her at all?

VENUS WILLIAMS: No, not at all. Not at all. I had a pretty good start. You know, it's impossible to win every match. I tried. But I couldn't seem to get the ball to go in today.

She(Venus)was off(forehand), but all in all megan was the better player, and Venus/Serena both know you can't win every match. do the fans know this?
Q. Specifically, what did you do right today?

MEGHANN SHAUGHNESSY: I felt like besides the first three games of the match, that I was dictating most of the points, I was playing aggressively, looking for my forehand, serving pretty well, attacking her second serve. So that was definitely the key, with a player like her that's so dominant on the court, it's important that I didn't allow her to run me around.

-Venus' didn't bring her A game, megan was too good today
Q. How did the crowd help you today?

MEGHANN SHAUGHNESSY: They were great. From the very beginning, they were into it. It's just so much fun playing in front of a crowd like that

-lets not even start on the crowds please....megan clearly was the better player today.

Q. Do you think the (inaudible) on her forehand? You were working that very successful?

MEGHANN SHAUGHNESSY: Her backhand is solid. During the key points, I was trying to keep it to the forehand a little more, like she was trying to keep it to my forehand.

again....She(Venus) was off (forehand), but all in all Megan was the better player today.

Once again, let us and me....give megan her Props, she just beat the number 2 player in the world. I can't wait to watch this match. I know megan has potential. But 1 thing I can say, don't let this win stop you from playing the same way. You have a day off Megan, get focused again, and I can't wait for a re-match. Venus forsure will be wanting it. And I bet she will be sure to be on that forehand next time. Once again great match and goodluck against cappy. You will need it :)

WhatTheDeuce
Mar 25th, 2003, 04:52 AM
good job meghann

CJ07
Mar 25th, 2003, 04:52 AM
congrats Meghann
but dont get used to beating up on Venus

this is rare
but things happen

1jackson2001
Mar 25th, 2003, 04:53 AM
Of course Meghann derserves due praise..this is definitely going to be taped.

Asmus
Mar 25th, 2003, 05:02 AM
Hey congrats Meghann for beating Venus for the SECOND time! She has a pretty impressive record against Venus considering she has beaten her at Stanford (which Venus has won twice) and Miami (which Venus has won three times).

WAY TO RETURN TO THE TOP TWENTY IN STYLE!

switz
Mar 25th, 2003, 05:02 AM
what is wrong with you serenaslam, you're actually displaying an element of class. you predictions for the tournament and the venus/kim no 2 race, however, have been given a dose of reality. better luck to you, the rest of venus' fans, and of course venus on the clay.

tennnisfannn
Mar 25th, 2003, 05:10 AM
Since Meghann's six pack body was displayed, i have been thinking that a body like that deserved good results. I did not expect it to come at the expense of my favourite. Megahnn seems so much better than her ranking. All of last year serena has been showing us how to beat Venus! literally eat up her secnd serve. nioce to see other players beginning to pay attention.
Better luck next time venus.
CONGRATULATIONS MEGHANN!

SerenaSlam
Mar 25th, 2003, 05:10 AM
predictions in the end can get the best of you, but i still feel i am the only person on this damn board that has the balls to come out and tell it when i end up wrong. about the number 2 rank, for now all i can say is, venus is still number 2 :)

SerenaSlam
Mar 25th, 2003, 05:14 AM
also i have class, you see i've worked damn hard for that 1 green reputation point, and I think that is exactly around where i should be w/ these reputation thingies.

LeonHart
Mar 25th, 2003, 05:21 AM
I thought, finally Serenaslam is going to post a classy thread, giving props to a non-william. Whoops, silly me :(

switz
Mar 25th, 2003, 05:23 AM
predictions in the end can get the best of you, but i still feel i am the only person on this damn board that has the balls to come out and tell it when i end up wrong. about the number 2 rank, for now all i can say is, venus is still number 2 :)

i think there are some people who are prepared to admit they are wrong. i think, however, you seem to make so many forecasts that inevitably you are going to be wrong sometimes. you are right though that it is only gutsy to make predictions if you are prepared to openly admit that you are wrong when they don't come to fruition. i think people might respect your admissions a little more if they did not have those undertones of venus not playing well etc, even though i agree with the fact that venus obviously must have done something wrong, because shaughnessy is just not that good (ie not good enough to destroy venus like that ordinarily).

just had a thought as well. you said it was ridiculous for people to talk about kim not playing at her best in belgium against venus in another thread, yet you seem to have constantly repeated that venus was not at her best in this match and that is why the scoreline was like that. is that not a little (very) hypocritical?

switz
Mar 25th, 2003, 05:32 AM
I thought, finally Serenaslam is going to post a classy thread, giving props to a non-william. Whoops, silly me :(

how many threads have you started congratulating the williams sisters? (i hope not many because i am just going by your signature)

SerenaSlam
Mar 25th, 2003, 05:34 AM
i think there are some people who are prepared to admit they are wrong. i think, however, you seem to make so many forecasts that inevitably you are going to be wrong sometimes. you are right though that it is only gutsy to make predictions if you are prepared to openly admit that you are wrong when they don't come to fruition. i think people might respect your admissions a little more if they did not have those undertones of venus not playing well etc, even though i agree with the fact that venus obviously must have done something wrong, because shaughnessy is just not that good (ie not good enough to destroy venus like that ordinarily).

just had a thought as well. you said it was ridiculous for people to talk about kim not playing at her best in belgium against venus in another thread, yet you seem to have constantly repeated that venus was not at her best in this match and that is why the scoreline was like that. is that not a little (very) hypocritical?
i don't recall saying that, but it sounds like I could've said it more around the lines of, saying kim not playing her best, that is why Venus won, giving no credit to the fact that venus played well. Im sure that is what i said. I does not sound like me to just say something like "its ridiculous to say Kim didn't play well", megan played well and venus didn't, venus played well and kim didn't. does that clear things up.

And LeonHart, i did give props, ooops silly you, and let me say this, you may not think i have "class/or a lot of class" but when you look at that <b>1</b> green bar, there is my class. If it ever gets to 2 or more, something is wrong w/ me:)

King Lindsay
Mar 25th, 2003, 05:34 AM
i love how Venus suggest she "ran out of time". ahem, well, she didn't exactly wait out the clock to beat you, Venus.

tennischick
Mar 25th, 2003, 05:48 AM
i'm seriously confused..:confused: aren't u the same poster who said that you called the tournament and found out that Venus was injured? am i missing something? :confused: :confused:

SerenaSlam
Mar 25th, 2003, 05:50 AM
messin w/ you all...sorry bout that as well....that was bogus wasn't it.

switz
Mar 25th, 2003, 06:18 AM

it was so obvious that you were lying. a bit sad as well.

IcePrincess
Mar 25th, 2003, 09:26 AM
Venus got a good-ole-fashioned BEATDOWN.

Honey, it happens to the best of 'em.

Way to get in that azz, Meghann.

Better luck next time, Vee.

:wavey:

SM
Mar 25th, 2003, 12:23 PM
Congrats Meghan. A bit surprising, but shes done it before.

Venus needs to do something with that forehand if she wants to sustain her #2 ranking and beat Serena some time soon. It sadly let her down in the aus final too :(....i think maybe her FH is even putting her serve off a bit

doloresc
Mar 25th, 2003, 12:41 PM
Hey congrats Meghann for beating Venus for the SECOND time! She has a pretty impressive record against Venus considering she has beaten her at Stanford (which Venus has won twice) and Miami (which Venus has won three times).

WAY TO RETURN TO THE TOP TWENTY IN STYLE!

i like your stanford and miami statistics for shaughnessy vs. venus. :)

i liked this excerpt:

MEGHANN SHAUGHNESSY: I felt like besides the first three games of the match, that I was dictating most of the points, I was playing aggressively, looking for my forehand, serving pretty well, attacking her second serve. So that was definitely the key, with a player like her that's so dominant on the court, it's important that I didn't allow her to run me around.

good attitude and smart tactic to attack venus' weak second serve which more players should exploit. well done shaughnessy! :)

AjdeNate!
Mar 25th, 2003, 01:41 PM
I hate liars. Especially blatant liars with no realization about the effects of their lying.

Hulet
Mar 25th, 2003, 01:46 PM
I hate liars. Especially blatant liars with no realization about the effects of their lying.
Well you got your wish. S/he appologized; are you going to follow him from forum to forum and whine endlessly? :rolleyes:

Moving on, congrats to Meghan. I was worried about this matchup from the beginning but was sure Venus will pull through it. I guess you don't take anything in tennis for granted.

AjdeNate!
Mar 25th, 2003, 01:55 PM
Well you got your wish. S/he appologized; are you going to follow him from forum to forum and whine endlessly? :rolleyes:

Moving on, congrats to Meghan. I was worried about this matchup from the beginning but was sure Venus will pull through it. I guess you don't take anything in tennis for granted.
If I want too, yes. But I'm not doing that...funny how you've been posting right after me lately... hmmmmmm

Great match Meghann!

RAA
Mar 25th, 2003, 01:58 PM
okay, not sure why this thread is degenerating into silliness.

FULL props to Meghann. She played aggresively. She had a game plan. She perservered through 8 match points to beat venus in straight sets. Venus did not play that well, but a lot of that was forced by Meghann's aggressive play. I was impressed.

Congrats to Meghann. I can't really figure out what kind of a player Meghann isgoing to be, she's been so inconsistent in her career. but she certainly has the goods to be consistently in the top 15-10.

Cybelle Darkholme
Mar 25th, 2003, 02:00 PM
forget the forehand she needs a better second serve. If someone is winning 72% of your second serve there is a problem. for the life of i me I dont understand why her serve is not like her sister's! They have the same coach.

brickhousesupporter
Mar 25th, 2003, 02:18 PM
Congratulations Megan you played a good match and was too much for the older williams. I hope she can play with the same intensity against Capriati.

selesrules
Mar 25th, 2003, 02:20 PM
I agree with everyone. Congratulations Meghan on spanking and outclassing Venus!

DEETHELICK
Mar 25th, 2003, 02:30 PM
Just saw the highlights, Meghann was playing really well. Her serve and her forehand are best weapons...BUT

Venus was playing fine, except her forehand was off at key points.

Venus' forehand is quite bad, there were some huge misses she had with it and it really is ugly at times.

Jen will defeat Meghan, purely because Jen's BH is much more solid than Venus FH (i.e. Jen's so-called weaker wing can hold up better), Jen's serve is shaky but her return is one of the best in the game (Venus' return were hit and miss), Jen can move even better than Meghan, plus Meghans FH can easily be overpowered by Jen's FH.

And don't even get me started on what Jen will do to Meghan's BH. Why Venus didn't attack it better, I don't understand.

Congrats Meghan, good luck next time Venus.

Mad-About-Venus
Mar 25th, 2003, 03:06 PM
As sad as I am, I take my hat off and bow to Megan. She beat the number 2 player in the world fair and square.

harloo
Mar 25th, 2003, 03:11 PM
Congratulations Megan you played a good match and was too much for the older williams. I hope she can play with the same intensity against Capriati.

This is my wish also, but we know how this works. Someone gets a win over a top player, then the next match they get trounced. This is what I think will happen to Megan.

IMO, Venus has always struggled with Megan and it's more of the matchup than Megan's game. Remember the USO, Vee almost last to her and at the BOTWC she did lose, and now here. So it's no suprise to me, but do I think Megan will get to the final?

Well, the answer is NO!!

Like I said before:
Congrats to TRUE Megan Fans!!!!!!