PDA

View Full Version : Kim Clijsters Road To #2 - Ending Speculation....Here's The Numbers

AjdeNate!
Mar 25th, 2003, 03:43 AM
I've seen a handful of threads questioning Kim's mathmatic possibility of overtaking #2 ranking. Well, here it is all spelled out and round by round.

Current:
2.Venus 4839
3.Kim 4585

SEMIS
If Kim d. Serena Williams
4585 + 82 round points + 100 quality points = 4767

FINAL
If Kim d. Jennifer Capriati or Chanda Rubin
4767 + 97 round points + 43 quality points = 4907
If Kim d. Meghann Shaughnessy
4767 + 97 round points + 23 quality points = 4895
If Kim d. Justine Henin-Hardenne
4767 + 97 round points + 55 quality points = 4919

Or in regular text.... if Kim wins the title...she's #2, provided she beats Serena in the semis. If she beats Serena, no matter who she beats in th final, provided she wins, she will have a new career high ranking of #2.

Mister B
Mar 25th, 2003, 03:49 AM
if Clijsters doesn't become #2 in this tournament, she won't wait long, because in some weeks Venus loses like 250-300 points for not defending Amelia Island...

1jackson2001
Mar 25th, 2003, 03:51 AM
Thanks a lot for this info. :) Much appreciated.

lizchris
Mar 25th, 2003, 03:57 AM
Kim will most likely get to number two this year, but she won't do it at this tournament unless Serena and/or Jennifer lose in the quarterfinals. If Serena wins tomorrow afternoon, which is very likely, I don't see her losing to Kim at the semifinals. Jennifer will fight to beat Meghann on Wednesday because she has to defend her finalist points or else she will fall further in the rankings and I don't think Meghann has a great H2H against her. Plus Kim has to get past Jelena Dokic to get to the semis, who untill last week, I thought she could beat soundly, but that is not a certaintly anymore. Considering that Kim's H2H against Serena and Jennifer combined consist of only one win, her chances don't look too good.

joao
Mar 25th, 2003, 04:00 AM
Small correction:

Venus has actually 4839 pts :) It doesn't change much the outcome (which is a QF win will assure kim a #2 ranking if Venus doesn't defend Amelia Island) ... but numbers are numbers!

BK4ever
Mar 25th, 2003, 04:01 AM
I think u robbed Vee of a few precious points ;)

4994-212=4782+57=4839

AjdeNate!
Mar 25th, 2003, 04:06 AM
Fixed...damn tenniscorner anyway...

BTW, I'm not saying she will or she won't, just providing the numbers.

disposablehero
Mar 25th, 2003, 04:09 AM
Well, if that's Venus new point total, then no combination that doesn't include Serena will get Kim to #2 this week.

AjdeNate!
Mar 25th, 2003, 04:14 AM
Well, if that's Venus new point total, then no combination that doesn't include Serena will get Kim to #2 this week.
True... but if Marion Bartoli should take out Serena, she deserves the title, even over Kim! :)

CJ07
Mar 25th, 2003, 04:17 AM
oh Venus...

King Lindsay
Mar 25th, 2003, 04:19 AM
Hmmm, if Kim wins this title beating Serena en route, it would be pretty hard to build a case that she doesn't deserve to be ranked #2.

Jelena Dokic has found her form and not a moment too soon. Also, she and Kim tend to have nailbiting matches. But Kim should beat her. I think she's still playing on a higher level. Still, there's a possibility of an upset. i wouldn't count anything out after today.

lizchris
Mar 25th, 2003, 04:30 AM
Hmmm, if Kim wins this title beating Serena en route, it would be pretty hard to build a case that she doesn't deserve to be ranked #2.

Jelena Dokic has found her form and not a moment too soon. Also, she and Kim tend to have nailbiting matches. But Kim should beat her. I think she's still playing on a higher level. Still, there's a possibility of an upset. i wouldn't count anything out after today.

If Jennifer figures in the final, don't look for Kim to beat her. For some reason, she can't. If she wins this title, she deserves to be number two, but if she loses she deserves to be number three. For her to get to number two, she has got to start palying better against Serena, Venus and Jennifer because here H2H against all three of them is 3-13.

Simplify
Mar 25th, 2003, 04:39 AM
What case would there be to build? :confused: Every player DESERVES whatever ranking she has. The rankings don't lie.

~|Naomi|~
Mar 25th, 2003, 05:03 AM
Even if Kim does get to 2 she won't stay there long as she isn't defending her 361 points from last years Hamburg, she is playing Berlin the week after where she has 0 points to defend instead of Warsaw.

I think the big mover of the next three weeks could be Henin, especially now Venus is gone

King Lindsay
Mar 25th, 2003, 05:41 AM
Simplify, watch if she does hit #2. Threads will spring up right and left about how she doesn't deserve it.

Lizchris, I believe Kim's troubles with Jennifer are going to be put to rest sooner rather than later.

~|Naomi|~
Mar 25th, 2003, 05:52 AM
Simplify, watch if she does hit #2. Threads will spring up right and left about how she doesn't deserve it.

Lizchris, I believe Kim's troubles with Jennifer are going to be put to rest sooner rather than later.

I agree with that Kim hasn't played Jen since AO 2002 that is over a year ago so give Kim a fair go

1jackson2001
Mar 25th, 2003, 05:52 AM
It's Venus' own doing for not playing that many tournaments. If she would play as many tournies as Kim (not quite Jelena Dokic-esque;)in amount of tournies)..Venus would readily retain her #2 ranking. :angel:

But all this adds for good drama. :cool:

per4ever
Mar 25th, 2003, 07:35 AM
people are all talking about Jen..just like Juju doesn't exist :confused:

per4ever
Mar 25th, 2003, 07:36 AM
It's Venus' own doing for not playing that many tournaments. If she would play as many tournies as Kim (not quite Jelena Dokic-esque;)in amount of tournies)..Venus would readily retain her #2 ranking. :angel:

But all this adds for good drama. :cool:
I wouldn't bet on it really. Kim does as well as Venus in her tournaments now: always reaching finals and winning tournaments... Venus can't do much better.

AjdeNate!
Mar 26th, 2003, 01:07 AM
Updated w/Kim's win over Jelena.

Cybelle Darkholme
Mar 26th, 2003, 02:41 AM
face it kim is reaching number two this year she is too good and plays too much. venus doesn't even play a full schedule and with not defending tournaments only hurts her ranking.

the only thing that sucks about vee losing the ranking is that the all williams finals will probably be an impossiblity because they might be in the same half of the draw.

Scorpion
Mar 26th, 2003, 03:13 AM
Given that Venus is not going to defend Amelie Island title, Kim will become #2!!!!

But question is how long will Kim keep her #2 ranking? Will she maintain it until the French Open 2003? Let's look at the statistics:

Kim Clijsters
Kim's points to defend until French Open 2003:
Hamburg (361 pts) + Rome (200 pts) = 561 pts

Currently at 4585 pts - 561 pts + Best of 17 (RG 88 pts + Montreal 48 pts) = 4160 pts

Venus Williams
Venus' points to defend until French Open 2003:
Amelie Island (284 pts) + Hamburg (230pts) = 514 pts

Currently at 4839 pts - 514 pts = 4325 pts

I am not sure what will their tournaments commitments be after the Miami event.... But this is going to be a battle of #2 seed at the Roland Garros between Kim and Venus!!!!

Jericho
Mar 26th, 2003, 03:35 AM
kim deserves #2 because she has been working her ass off...its cool to see people challenging the sisters because it'll make the sisters especially vee work even harder...

Kim will have #2 for about 2 weeks or so and then it will be switched back. It'll be so exciting to see who will receive the #2 seed at roland garros. I'm betting venus. Good Luck to both Vee and Kim! may the best player receive the #2 spot!

King Lindsay
Mar 26th, 2003, 03:42 AM
cybelle, all-Williams finals will probably happen as often as not if Venus falls to #3.

I wouldn't be that surprised if Venus took a wild card into Amelia island following her loss here.

disposablehero
Mar 26th, 2003, 03:49 AM
The interesting thing is that it has reached the point where the Williams no longer have control over Venus #2 ranking, unless she adds more tournaments. If from now to the US Open Kim lost to Venus and Serena every time, and Serena lost to Venus every time, Venus would likely be #3 unless she added tournaments. Because Kim defends next to nothing at RG and WB.

Buitenzorg
Mar 26th, 2003, 06:29 AM
:eek: Will Kim split The Williamses ? ... Go Kim :D

tennisIlove09
Mar 26th, 2003, 08:21 AM
"The Rankings Don't Lie"

LMFAO! Right...keep telling yourself that

Katrien
Mar 26th, 2003, 09:42 AM
.... Plus Kim has to get past Jelena Dokic to get to the semis, who untill last week, I thought she could beat soundly, but that is not a certaintly anymore. ....

Kim CLIJSTERS - Jelena DOKIC: 6-2 6-0
:worship: :bounce: :worship: Kimmie :worship: :bounce: :worship:

XMan
Mar 26th, 2003, 12:06 PM
If Venus doesn't play Charleston or Amelie Island then Kim will be the new number two in a few weeks, that's a fact now.

Tennisfan-Mtl
Mar 26th, 2003, 12:56 PM
Go Kim :) Get that no.2 rank :)

calabar
Mar 26th, 2003, 01:32 PM
"The Rankings Don't Lie"

LMFAO! Right...keep telling yourself that

The truth of the matter is that 'RANKINGS DO NO LIE'. The problem is that too many people interpret rankings incorrectly. The purpose of rankings was NEVER to determine who the best player is at any point in time. Here's a hypothetical scenario to ponder: Suppose Venus meets and DEFEATS Serena in the remaining 3 slam finals, it is mathematically possible that Serena would maintain her number 1 ranking because Venus has a lot of points to defend since she was in the finals last year. Now, who would be considered the "Best" player for this year, one who wins 1 slam or the one that wins 3 slams? Imagine if this scenario were to become reality (it probably won't), just think what criticisms will be heaped upon the WTA and its ranking system.

No, rankings do not lie, it's the interpretation of those rankings that's the problem.

starr
Mar 26th, 2003, 01:37 PM
Only Venus and Serena deserve the number one and number two rankings. Even if they only play 10 tournaments a year... even if they never play at all.

When Venus and Serena retire from tennis, the WTA should just retire the number one and two rankings.

Oizo
Mar 26th, 2003, 01:42 PM
if Clijsters doesn't become #2 in this tournament, she won't wait long, because in some weeks Venus loses like 250-300 points for not defending Amelia Island...
Why isnīt Venus playing Amelia Island? :confused: