PDA

View Full Version : Question For Venus Fans

Simplify
Mar 25th, 2003, 03:39 AM
Actually, this question is for anybody who has followed tennis alot since she joined the tour. But, I address it moreso to Venus fans because I figure they are probably more knowledgeable about it than others. Anyway, on the the question.

When did her second serve get so bad?!! I don't think it's ever been much of an assett to her game, but it was at least decent wasn't it? :confused: When did the wheels fall off?

1jackson2001
Mar 25th, 2003, 03:46 AM
Well I haven't followed her or tennis in general for that long...but I gather that it has always been her weakness...some days it will be worse than on other days.

BK4ever
Mar 25th, 2003, 03:47 AM
I thought her second serve was always bad. But most players didnt take advantage. But since most of the top players are playing aggressive tennis now...its become a glaring liability.

And even though Vee has a big first serve, she does not place it well. She is completely clueless when it comes to serving. Even though her second serve speed is so low, if she learned to place it better, it would at least help increase her winning % on it.

Her technique is also flawed and I think thats a big reason why she can't fix her serve.

Cybelle Darkholme
Mar 25th, 2003, 03:49 AM
her second serve is one of her weaknesses. For the life of me I don't know why they didn't fix her serving technique while she was growing up. I bet they figured she was smacking such fast first serves that the second serve didn't matter. Wrong.

Nan Cu
Mar 25th, 2003, 03:49 AM
Sure she can fix her serve. The fact is she doesn't practice. She's lazy.

1jackson2001
Mar 25th, 2003, 03:52 AM
I hope this won't discourage Venus further and send her spiraling down the rankings..:(

Simplify
Mar 25th, 2003, 03:53 AM
She is completely clueless when it comes to serving.
Bk4ever, I've seen enough to know thats not true.

Crazy Canuck
Mar 25th, 2003, 03:54 AM
I hope this won't discourage Venus further and send her spiraling down the rankings..:(
Ah yes, that rappen ranking fall of a mere spot that is possible in the next couple months.

Quite the spiral ;)

TM
Mar 25th, 2003, 03:54 AM
Actually, this question is for anybody who has followed tennis alot since she joined the tour. But, I address it moreso to Venus fans because I figure they are probably more knowledgeable about it than others. Anyway, on the the question.

When did her second serve get so bad?!! I don't think it's ever been much of an assett to her game, but it was at least decent wasn't it? :confused: When did the wheels fall off?

after 2001. she had a decent second serve it was never this bad. i love venus forever and i'm not afraid to say "SHE PLAYED LIKE SHIT"

1jackson2001
Mar 25th, 2003, 03:56 AM
Ah yes, that rappen ranking fall of a mere spot that is possible in the next couple months.

Quite the spiral ;)

I was referring to her getting discouraged and plays just plain shitty for the rest of her career. ;)

BK4ever
Mar 25th, 2003, 04:32 AM
Bk4ever, I've seen enough to know thats not true.

Really...for someone with such a big first serve, she doesnt hit a comparable amount of aces. Watch a full match of hers and pay close attention to where she puts her serve. Their is no strategy. She hardly ever goes into the body, for instance. She doesnt go down the tee as much as she should...and she rarely ever uses her slice out wide.

I think their is alot of room for improvement. She needs to sick her pride between her ass and hire a coach who specializes in "serving"

Dawn Marie
Mar 25th, 2003, 04:35 AM
Well I am a Venus fan and I even thought she would lose this match just a feeling I guess. In a way I am glad she lost, maybe this will wake her up to that second serve.

Anyway great match Meghan, even though I didn't see it and better luck next time Venus.

p.s. Venus needs to get a serving coach and play more. :wavey:

GO CHANDA WIN THIS TITLE, sorry SERENA but I am going for CHANDA this time.:)

BasicTennis
Mar 25th, 2003, 04:40 AM
Venus would remain slamless if she doesn't improve her serve.

Definetely, Serena would win this title for her sister!!!!:devil:

Simplify
Mar 25th, 2003, 04:56 AM
Bk4ever, needing improvement does not equate being clueless. I think she's just being lazy because she knows she needs help.

Just curious, bk4ever. Who do you think has the best serve?

*lordy be
what is wrong with me
I am actually defending Miss Vee*

Strange world indeed :confused:

kiwifan
Mar 25th, 2003, 05:11 AM
Venus would remain slamless if she doesn't improve her serve.

Definetely, Serena would win this title for her sister!!!!:devil:

Uh last time I checked Venus not only wasn't slamless, she's got more slams than any active player other than her sis and Monica :confused:

Lets not over react with the "lazy"/negative comments. :fiery:

Of course this is WTAworld so what would I expect?

Venus will be fine so all you Chicken Littles out there just chill.

Only the Slams matter. :cool: :cool: :cool:

Oh and for the point calculating dorks, who cares; it's what you do with your racket in the Slams that matters not what # you are on a computer.

Don't believe me ask Chucky. :cool: :cool: :cool:

Funny when I tuned into WTAworld tonight, I saw all those names on the board and I knew only one thing could cause this congregation; for good or for bad...

The Williams Sisters.

At least she lost to an American (and also not one of the hater's faves).

"Hold Your Head Up" - Argent :devil:

jean_genie
Mar 25th, 2003, 05:22 AM

In 2000 after Venus came back from the wrist tendinitis injury layoff, she began slowing down her second serve. Before that her second serve was routinely in the 100 mph category. She's definitely in need of a serving coach but I disagree with Pete Sampras and the poster who said she doesn't know where it's going. Once you stand and face her serve then you can talk about her not knowing where. She does serve down the tee, out wide and slicing into the body (ask Mauresmo about the 2002 USOpen semi).
I know that she has that weird hitch and her motion is nowhere near as effortless as Serena or Davenport's but it's been effective up until recently. And asking her to change her style of play is useless now, it's kind of like expecting Seles to develop that one handed backhand or forehand that's suppose to give her so much more reach, the beauty of her game is in the so called "flaw" of her hitting with two hands off both sides. Venus said Meghann played well and deserved to win so let's not write her off to the Tennis Hall of Fame over one loss. Congratulations to Meghann and get 'em next time Vee.

BasicTennis
Mar 25th, 2003, 05:33 AM
Uh last time I checked Venus not only wasn't slamless, she's got more slams than any active player other than her sis and Monica :confused:

when was the last time you checked 2001???? ;) let's face it that Venus needs to improve her serve if she wants to win against Serena. :kiss: :devil: :kiss:

kiwifan
Mar 25th, 2003, 06:55 AM
First of all, I believe I neglected to mention that I agree with the second part of your post that I quoted before. Delayed credit is better than none at all :worship:

when was the last time you checked 2001???? ;) let's face it that Venus needs to improve her serve if she wants to win against Serena. :kiss: :devil: :kiss:

Yes she needs to get rid of that hitch in her second serve but even she knows that. :cool:

As for the clueless and lazy comments, what's that say about the rest of the tour; the hyped Eastern Euros, the Belgians, they must all really suck. :p :p :p

So is the WTA composed of Serena and bunch of losers? (My attitude is good one Meg see ya in the slams)

C'mon, Venus has been in the finals of all four consecutive grand slams and has won 4 of them; the over reactions to one loss are pretty silly.

If you want to talk "Slamless" there are plenty of other names (top 10, even top 5, why even top 3) that fit that bill with a lot more accuracy. :p :devil: :p

That's my point. :angel:

I actually think a loss in these non-slams is a good wake up call and that's about it.

"Fake Friends" - Joan Jett

BasicTennis
Mar 25th, 2003, 06:59 AM
being slamless does not befit Queen Venus but hey, it's happening!!!! so the simple point is for her to do something about her fuckin' serve.:o

tennisIlove09
Mar 25th, 2003, 07:29 AM
Venus had the best serve, first and second, at the US Open 2001. She doesn't play that fall, and shows up in Australia, and it's suddenly a "weakness". Not sure what happened from US Open-Aussie Open.

~ The Leopard ~
Mar 25th, 2003, 08:18 AM

Um, isn't there another active player with more slam titles than all of them put together?

Let's see, Mar....Mar......Martina.... hmmmmm....Martina Na....

:confused:

King Lindsay
Mar 25th, 2003, 08:45 AM
Venus' second serve always had a tendency to go awry earlier in her career. On a bad day, it still does. But when she's feelin' it, look out. she's been known to bomb some second serve aces when she's feeling confident.

anyway, it's probably the weakest part of her game, but the second serve is the weakest part of everybody's game.

doloresc
Mar 25th, 2003, 12:33 PM
I thought her second serve was always bad. But most players didnt take advantage. But since most of the top players are playing aggressive tennis now...its become a glaring liability.

And even though Vee has a big first serve, she does not place it well. She is completely clueless when it comes to serving. Even though her second serve speed is so low, if she learned to place it better, it would at least help increase her winning % on it.

Her technique is also flawed and I think thats a big reason why she can't fix her serve.

i agree with your entire assessment! it's remarkable that she's been able to get away with a weak second serve all these years. what i wish she would change is not going for so much when she's playing someone who's just an adequate returner. this is the reason she double faults so much and some of her matches became more complicated than they need to be.

BK4ever
Mar 25th, 2003, 03:25 PM
I think having a problem, that keeps getting worse and worse and showing no signs of fixing it is LAZY.

Look at the stats of her match against Meg and you will clearly see that even though she might not have played her best, her second serve % made it even harder to be competitive.

Same thing happened in Australia...if she had a better second serve, she might have won that match.

Cariaoke
Mar 25th, 2003, 03:59 PM
i agree with your entire assessment! it's remarkable that she's been able to get away with a weak second serve all these years. what i wish she would change is not going for so much when she's playing someone who's just an adequate returner. this is the reason she double faults so much and some of her matches became more complicated than they need to be.
that is what I'm saying! Venus has more faults than San Andreas and I'm really fed up with her serving technique. She used to be able to get over it but now it's just holding her back instead of being just an awkward part of her game.